Let's Ride!

Preachin to the Choir - My Chili Review

About Me: Take with a grain of salt, and understand, I'm 40 years old, 6'7", 235lbs and I started with a 2001 Shwinn Homegrown XL, went to a 2009 Stumpy Elite XXL, then to a 2008 Turner RFX XXL and have landed on a 2012 Chilcotin XL.

Terrain: I'm in Northern California and locally we have some good trails that provide XC, AM and even DH riding and I do all of that.....I like hitting jumps and bumps and enjoy a climb if it's not just a fireroad. In fact I friggen hate just climbing a hill with no bumps, how annoying, for that I'll ride my road bike. I went to NorthStar 4 times this year and plan on doing so again next year (actually the knolly is going this saturday, I'll add to this thread).

Review: Ok I'll keep this to what was noticeable over anything else. What the F*&% it climbs rocks/boulders like crazy. I'm not a bike reviewer so I'll ignore that jargin and just say.........it has incredible traction over rocks and climbing the side of big rocks, its strange, awesome, but unlike anything I've felt, I cleared things I've never been able to with ease. Down the hills and through rock gardens it's amazing as well, even though I was chattering over some areas, again it felt like I had all the traction I needed. Cornering was amazing compared to what I've ridden, really can throw the thing through corners........oh and it's stiff as all hell.......now my turner was stiff too, but the knolly felt more planted, which I'm sure has to do with a lower BB, and shorter Chain Stays. The thing I hated most about the stumpy was how much rear sway there was, I couldn't stand up and pedal that bike without full loss of traction..........On the Knolly I had my rear sag sitting at 30% and the bike sinks into that and stays.......I cannot describe the rear other than it felt planted in it's travel no matter what I was doing......I need to make some adjustments because there is some bob when climbing fire roads, but I cant complain about anything else.

Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

Let's Ride!
    Let me add.......the 2014 Talas fork is pretty killer. I had an older talas and in the "lowered" settings it felt more compressed with less uniformity through the stroke........this was amazing in 140mm and 180mm, it was like having two different bikes, both of which I loved!!

mtbr member
    Great review digthemlows! As a relatively new Chili owner myself I concur with everything you stated and experienced.

I came across this review from Eric Melson at Blister Gear Review which seems echo many peoples thoughts and impression of the Chilcotin. Let the preaching continue!

2013 Knolly Chilcotin | Blister Gear Review – Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.

Knollician
    Yep, agree with everything you said. The tech climbing is one of my favorite features.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Dig, super stoked to read your review! Glad you get to experience the hype first hand!

The Blister Gear review was one of the best I've ever read. He really nailed all the points. I like his itemized list of 4 bar advantages, which was something I've struggled to come up with when asked by the occasional curious biker.

I should print these out on a business card to hand out.

1. Use a full-length seat tube.
    2. Place the seat tube in front of the bottom bracket to move the seat forward when dropped. No rider interference.
    3. Increase lateral rigidity in the rear end by keeping the suspension linkage components as short as possible.
    4. Orient the rear shock in a position that allows for long shock stroke lengths.
    5. Isolate the rear shock from side loading. No flex. Period.
    6. Progressive shock stroke
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

Let's Ride!
    This Line "One of the most impressive things to me is just how plush the bike feels in the first four inches of its travel. I think the Chilcotin, with its Fox air shock, gets as close as Ive ever felt to a bike with a coil shock." Except I have a different shock, is what I notice the most. That 30% sag feels like 4-5" but it just "sits" there in it's place ..... it's such a weird feeling.....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. Welcome to the Chili club.

How do you like the Vivid air? Is that what I see in the pic?