Thread: Podium sizing

on a routine expedition

Podium sizing

I think the Podium is what I'd like for my next bike and would like to see what size frame others my size are happy with. I've been somewhat unsatisfied with my last couple DH bikes, and I think sizing has a lot to do with that (med DHR, med v10). I find it hard to get

I'm 5'11" with a 33-1/4" inseam. Right in between the medium and large on Knolly's recommended size chart.

The medium Podium has a longer reach measurement than my last two bikes, but the wheelbase is similar. The reach on the large is significantly longer than my previous bikes. I'm concerned just looking at the reach measurement will lead me astray. I think wheelbase has a lot to do with the feel as well. I am considering the large with a shorter stem (~30mm).

I've been noticing a lot of riders going toward larger DH bikes. I just wonder if for someone like me who doesn't ride world cup tracks at world cup speed the longer bike is going to be a real handful.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Marshall Willanholly; 09-13-2013 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm your size (pretty much exact measurements you listed), and I've got a medium. My other two Knolly's are larges and fit great for pedaling, etc, but I wanted a more playful fun bike with the DH, so I sized down. I've not ever got that feeling where it seemed too small.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I'm 6 feet and ride a large...Very happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    we are roughly the same size as you,,, all our bikes ae medium, and fit fine,
    col has a chilcotin and demo8.... i have a endorphin and a podium.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    we are roughly the same size as you,,, all our bikes ae medium, and fit fine,
    col has a chilcotin and demo8.... i have a endorphin and a podium.
    Interestingly, the medium Demo8 has an almost identical reach measurement to the large Podium.

mtbr member
    Depends on you. I am 5' - 10.5" and have a 33 1/2" inseam. I used to ride a Large version 1 Podium, but now ride a Medium version 2 and couldn't be happier. This bike can handle anything, yet it is surprisingly snappy. Love the CS DB Air, as well.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Hey Marshall - long time no see. I have an XL Podium which feels long until I sit down. Even though the website says the ETT is over 25" it measures about 23" from the center of seat tube to the center of the steer tube parallel to the ground with the seat fully raised. Given that, it's fairly cramped, even with a setback seatpost.

However, the cranks are way back, giving the long reach that warrants the XL label, once I stand up (which of course is 90% of DH riding).

So, if that translates to the medium vs large debate - the medium will probably feel too small when seated, but just right when standing. In my experience, this makes the Podium maybe not the best choice for someone who is looking for a full DH bike that is versatile enough to climb. But, that's what the Chilcotin is for...

See you out there!

mtbr member
    I ride a large chili and if I was getting a podium I'd go medium. Just my two cents

mtbr member
    @Marshall Wow - I just re-read that you were dissatisfied with the V-10 and the DHR. I think last time I saw you, you had a very shiny silver Intense. What was it you didn't like about these bikes? Was it specifically the fit?

If you are still in SoCal, I know a local who just got a large Podium (from The Path, btw). I am sure he would let you try it for fit. Based on everything you and others have said, I am guessing the medium is the way to go, but you could make a more informed decision by trying at least a parking lot test of the L.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am 6'4" and should ride an XL but ride a Large. If you want a more playful ride then I would go medium based on your size.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    @Marshall Wow - I just re-read that you were dissatisfied with the V-10 and the DHR. I think last time I saw you, you had a very shiny silver Intense. What was it you didn't like about these bikes? Was it specifically the fit?

If you are still in SoCal, I know a local who just got a large Podium (from The Path, btw). I am sure he would let you try it for fit. Based on everything you and others have said, I am guessing the medium is the way to go, but you could make a more informed decision by trying at least a parking lot test of the L.
    With regards to the DHR and v10, it was my choice of sizes where I felt I went wrong. There were other aspects to the DHR I didn't like, but I am very bummed about the v10. I really like a lot of things about that bike, and if I had gotten the large, I would be a happy guy. I just can't swing buying a new large v10 now. I also just learned that my Chris King hub can't be converted to 157mm, so a new hub and wheel build is another expense I need to factor in now.

I'm up in Oregon now, so unfortunately I can't try your friend's large. Thanks for the offer though!

Quote Originally Posted by nomad8604 View Post
    I am 6'4" and should ride an XL but ride a Large. If you want a more playful ride then I would go medium based on your size.
    The reason I'm even toying with the idea of the large is I've been intrigued by what companies like GT and Mondraker are doing with their DH bike geometry. Longer front ends and very short stems. For example, the medium GT Fury is bigger than the large Podium. Hearing what GT and Gee say about why they did this makes a lot of sense to me.

Exclusive ride on Gee Atherton’s new GT Fury | Dirt

I was also interested to read about Sam Hill trying a prototype longer front end on his bike this year. I remember when he was on Iron Horse he was on a custom longer frame there too.

Sam Hill's Nukeproof Pulse - Hafjell World Cup - Pinkbike

The medium Podium is only about 1/2" longer in reach than my current bike and less than 1/2" longer in wheelbase. I don't know if that's longer enough for me. In a perfect world, I'd like a Podium that's sized right in between the current med and large. Hopefully I can get a ride on one and see if I'm way off base or not.