mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Podium rear wheel touching my butt?

Hi guys!
    I went out for my first ride today on my Podium. I really enjoyed the bike! but i crashed in this short steep section and landed on my elbow pretty hard.
    I crashed because when going down the steep section (with lots of rocks) i put my weight back like i usually do and the rear wheel hit my butt pretty hard.
    This happened also on some mid sized drops (no landing) on another trail but it was nowhere near as hard, one time it even skimmed by b*lls.

i dont get what i wrong here. Just to let you know, i am 57kg and i am using a 400 spring, i am suppose to be using a 250 (i think).

Did this happen to anyone else?
    Let me know what the problem may be.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Is it the right size frame? It could be the heavier spring bouncing the rear end upward.

I have brushed the tire with my derriere, but no more than any bike by getting too back far on steeps.

My Podium is very lively and I had to adjust a little bit to this, but this is a good thing to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi,
    Yea its the right frame size, its a medium i am almost 170cm.
    Do you think it could be the spring?
    thanks

mtbr member
    I think a call to Child Protective Services is in order. That just isn't appropriate.

Just curious if this is your first full on DH rig. I had that happen to me a couple times when I was in whistler riding a Giant Glory. Apparently I was using a trail/AM technique that wasn't necessary on a full DH rig. Because of the long wheel base and super slack angles I found I didn't need to get as far back over the rear wheel. A more centered position worked better. More like a moto.

Please ignore if this doesn't apply to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I think a call to Child Protective Services is in order. That just isn't appropriate.

Just curious if this is your first full on DH rig. I had that happen to me a couple times when I was in whistler riding a Giant Glory. Apparently I was using a trail/AM technique that wasn't necessary on a full DH rig. Because of the long wheel base and super slack angles I found I didn't need to get as far back over the rear wheel. A more centered position worked better. More like a moto.

Please ignore if this doesn't apply to you.
    Ahaha, funny!
    Yea its my first full on DH rig. I used to ride a Stumpjumper FSR. its most likely my body position... :/ any tips in making it better? cause that steep section has so many rocks that it is just like " normal" for me to put all my weight back...:/

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bend your elbows. Get weight low and centered rather than back.

Delirious Tuck
    What BryanS. Said.

You can really stay in a neutral, or even slightly forward position on the Podium. I had a Vtach for DH for years and switched to the Podium for this season. I'm finding upper body is getting more work because you can stay in the middle and really plant and push the front through everything of the bike for everything vs. all the way back of bike through steeps and tech.

Will take some getting used to going from Trail to DH.

You weren't the guy on the Raw Podium opening weekend were you at Mt Creek?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had the exact same problem the first day I rode my bike in the alps ( first real ride on the bike ). I'm a big guy and fitted the bike whit springs according to my weigh. When trails got gnarly and steep i practically sat on the rear tire because I felt I was getting thrown over the bars constantly. I absolutely hated the bike, I had bought the frame and kit of my dreams and it was the shittiest ride of my life The rear was stiff like hell, all over the place at speed and all the effort I put into the damper adjustment didn't get me anywhere. I had brought the spring the frame came + some different ones for the 40. The shock spring was 15kg below the recommended spring rate but I had to try something. Swapped spring and the one in the 40 to something that i though would "balance" the front/rear weight wise. Took some rebound off, added LSC for cornering and pedaling, added air to the bottom out. It was like the bike had been touched by god A little fiddeling with the HSC to make the rear feel planted in really loose gravel/rocks and the bike was everything I had it expected it to be, perfect.

I ride a 11' Podium size L with the RC4 damper. Im 185 and around 200 punds.

Try the positioning tips and if it doesn't work, try some different springs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispes View Post
    Hi guys!
    I went out for my first ride today on my Podium. I really enjoyed the bike! but i crashed in this short steep section and landed on my elbow pretty hard.
    I crashed because when going down the steep section (with lots of rocks) i put my weight back like i usually do and the rear wheel hit my butt pretty hard.
    This happened also on some mid sized drops (no landing) on another trail but it was nowhere near as hard, one time it even skimmed by b*lls.

i dont get what i wrong here. Just to let you know, i am 57kg and i am using a 400 spring, i am suppose to be using a 250 (i think).

Did this happen to anyone else?
    Let me know what the problem may be.
    Thanks!
    You are correct...You are using the wrong spring. At your weight you should be on a 250 or 300 spring. The 400 spring is likely bucking you and hitting you in the ass. Controlling the back end is going to be very hard with a spring that's way higher than recommended.

Let's see the pics of the new rig!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi, thanks for all the replies! Sorry, i havent been on for a few weeks.

I bought a new 300 spring, i'm getting used to the position on the bike, the wheel has skimmed my shorts, but with time, i am going to correct those AM bike habits. So far i'm absolutely loving the bike!

I attached a Pic of it! let me know what you think!

The 160mm rotor in the rear will be replaced with a 180mm when i have money buy a 203mm.

Do you think a 180mm Ice tech in the rear is enough?

Thanks again for the replies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Podium rear wheel touching my butt?-pic-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    What BryanS. Said.

You can really stay in a neutral, or even slightly forward position on the Podium. I had a Vtach for DH for years and switched to the Podium for this season. I'm finding upper body is getting more work because you can stay in the middle and really plant and push the front through everything of the bike for everything vs. all the way back of bike through steeps and tech.

Dosent sound like he was, but I was there with my raw Podium! Nice day, nice ride! Were you there with the wife/gf on the knolly?
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

Delirious Tuck
    Yup. That was me on the Black Podium and my wife on the Raw Delirium. Back again this sunday, my brakes blew up on me the weekend before last (I try to avoid on race days).

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispes View Post

Do you think a 180mm Ice tech in the rear is enough?
    I think you'll find the 180 rear is good. I had a 203 F/180 R work perfectly last season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What BryanS. Said.

no unfortunately, i wish i had the chance to go there...

I think you'll find the 180 rear is good. I had a 203 F/180 R work perfectly last season.
    Thanks!!