mtbr member

Pike review - Pinkbike says two thumbs up

Review

I've found Pinkbike reviews are typically fairly unbiased. Most of the in depth ones I've read lately, they seem to lay out the good and bad aspects of whatever product they are reviewing, so I found it pretty exciting they were so stoked on the Pike.

Can't wait for mine to get here and get this mounted up on the Endo! I have a very bad feeling my Fox CTDabc123 is going to feel horrible once that Pike is mounted, and I'll be looking for a new rear shock solution...which is good and bad.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice, but without a 20mm axle, I'm staying away. That's one thing I really loved about the older pike.

mtbr member
    I think their comment in the article about the whole fork package (stanchions, axles, etc) and how that adds up to stiffness is pretty valid. They said this is noticeably stiffer than a Revelation with a 20mm axle.

I'm fine with a 15mm axle personally. This won't see the type of riding the Chili will, and while being on all 20mm front wheels would be nice in terms of backups/no axle swaps/etc, it's just not a deal breaker for me. I find the Revelation to flexy for my tastes, and no way I am putting a Lyrik on the bike.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I really like my 170 Lyrik. Hated it initially, because I had it setup wrong (which was how you road it on midtown). Once I set the air pressure correctly, and dialed in the HSC/LSC, it has been spectacular.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I think their comment in the article about the whole fork package (stanchions, axles, etc) and how that adds up to stiffness is pretty valid. They said this is noticeably stiffer than a Revelation with a 20mm axle.

I'm fine with a 15mm axle personally. This won't see the type of riding the Chili will, and while being on all 20mm front wheels would be nice in terms of backups/no axle swaps/etc, it's just not a deal breaker for me. I find the Revelation to flexy for my tastes, and no way I am putting a Lyrik on the bike.
    The 15mm axle is hardly an issue for me. However, I wish they would do a proper HSC/LSC setup.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Just roll it......
    Interesting that this just got posted today.

I went out on a dawn patrol ride with a buddy of mine yesterday who is the product manager on the long travel Kona's. He was on a proto 650b Process (that looks really sick, btw - I hope to demo one in the next couple weeks) with what I figured to be a Lyrik strapped to the front.

As we were climbing up to the trail bs'ing, I asked him about the fork and he said it was actually the new Pike and not the Lyrik. I was kind of shocked because it looked uber beefy....didn't even strike a resemblance to the older pikes. Anyway, long story short, I don't have any details other than he's been really happy with its performance and stiffness and he's a crazy picky guy about his components (and has the opportunity to swap out stuff every day - if needed).

Our descent was about 2,100 feet of steep loam schralping with big g outs (the kind that have folded wheels) and lots of really nice double-up opportunities. By most standards this is a DH trail (think Hey Bud in Whistler for comparison), but its such a gnarly climb we all ride it on our trail bikes. Long story short, he was absolutely destroying it with that fork on the front of his bike. I have a 36 and my other buddy has a Lyrik 170 and there was absolutely no issue with him hitting all of the lines we were hitting. Of course, a lot of that is rider skill, but there was no mention of the 15mm axle not being enough for him.

EB

MC MasterShake
    Got mine in on Monday. I got the 160 Solo Air and it replaced the 2013RevRCT w/20mm axle. I only have one short ride on it and I gotta say I'm pretty stoked on it already. Feels a lot like my 36. Plush yet holds up on it's travel w/o any problems. A good big stiffer than the Rev. The only thing that I don't like is that you can't lower it w/o replacing the air sleeve. It looks like travel height is determined by the size of the air shaft. My plan was to try both thinking that I would end up at 150 in the end. Oh well, I'll give it more time with 160 and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    See, it's less the 15mm axle not being stiff enough, and more it just being convenient for me to be able to swap wheelsets between bikes. I own quite a few bikes, but I don't own as many wheelsets, and it's very nice to be able to swap wheelsets between bikes with 20mm axles.

mtbr member
    Its really falling into place for my next bike - Endorphin, Pike, X01...... just two more items I need confirmation on......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Its really falling into place for my next bike - Endorphin, Pike, X01...... just two more items I need confirmation on......
    and those are?
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Pike review - Pinkbike says two thumbs up

Light weight and plush: 2014 Pike 160 solo air.

On my 650b Turner Burner.

I've ridden a similar travel fork (160mm Magura Wotan on an Intense 6.6). Same plush feel, stiffness, but the Pike is 5 year's worth of refinement (30 percent lighter), for about same MSRP).

And it looks stealth

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I've been seeing them around here for months now and everyone on them (who are admittedly biased) is totally stoked on them. I'm going to get one as the little fork for my new Chicotin and I can't wait to try it for myself. Now I just need to figure out what the big fork should be...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    and those are?
    Thats something Noel is working on (I hope).