mtbr member

Pics of my new DT (in progress build thread)

Although it is officially an In Progress build, Larry from Mountain High Cyclery (http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/about/) was kind enough to send a couple photos.

As you can see, I went with the Vivid shock after discussion with the guys at Knolly and MHC. To say I am super stoked is an understatement. Its been over 2 years of waiting and saving $$, and only a few more days left with a trip to Whistler in the works next week!

Enjoy the pics. I will update as the build progresses. I do have one or two things planned you guys might not have seen before
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Since I am sick (can't even talk right now...so be prepared for a long post, since I can STILL write) and don't quite have the frame yet, I figured I would share some of the unique things I am doing for this build. Most people post a build list and some pics of the bike (before and after) and call it a day. Don't worry those will be coming. But, as I said before, I've had 2 years to think about this and work on a build up. It's a rare mix of used parts (because I am a cheapo, I guess) and cost no object items. When it came to a true ground up build up, I started with the frame choice. To be honest, that took the better part of a year, because I just couldn't decide between a beefy Endorphin, DT, or a Nicolai. Even though the Nicolai simply has the most beautiful welds on the planey imo, it was easily eliminated. There was something more organic about the Knolly. Having personally met Noel a couple years ago made it easy to support a real person living their dream.

Beyond the frame, next came the important parts mix. And here is where I differed from most people on the build up. I started thinking about quality, price, reliability...those kind of things. And it dawned on me that I hadn't even thought of the most important components of all. The essential components that would do more to ensure I stayed enthusiastic and active about biking for years to come: the Protective Gear.

Here, after the frame, was where I took a cost-is-no-object attitude. I went in search of finding the best protective gear on the planet. The first two companies that came to mind were Dainese and Troy Lee Designs. By the end of my search I had considered and tried out equipment from many different companies including: 661, Bell, Dainese, Fox, Giro, Race Face, Specialized, THE, TLD etc. I have a thread HERE (I need a new lightweight Full Face helmet) regarding the search for the helmet. Of course, in the end I had to do things a little differently, and found a company that also did things differently. I chose P.O.C. of Sweden. And thanks to www.CompetativeCyclist.com I believe I was the first owner in the states to try out the production version of the helmet. Soon after I bought the whole suit.

Here are some pics of the helmet:

1050 grams (+/- 10g)

Here is my synopsis:

Helmet: P.O.C. best overall. I really like the space around the ears. There is nothing on the pinnae (the outer ears), so your ears don't get sweaty, or pressed up against your head. Hearing is great. Air flow is good. The material is high quality and soft aginst the skin. Its sort of like a terry cloth material, so I worry it will be a little warm, but have not had any problems yet, and the air flow of the vents and channels inside the helmet have more to do with cooling than material on the inside. The TLD was the most comfortable to my head of all the helmets I tried, but I didn't like losing all the hearing. The Giro Remedy was the runner up, and I almost bought it since the POC was not due out till Summer 2009. The THE was a fine helmet as well. The 661 seemed one of the most solid, but it fit my head too funny, ymmv.

Knee/Shin: P.O.C. I was sold on the non-newtonian material the first I heard they were incorporting it into bike stuff. Its called VPD in POC -speak. The benefit of the POC stuff is that its 3D, whereas 661 uses only 2D sheets. My first impression was that the leg armor seemed bulky. and less airy than my Roach stuff. But not only is it more comfortable on the bike (after about 5 minutes), but it stays put way better, and had a more intelligent design. Its seems higher quality than TLD (which my gf owns). One thing I thought I would hate was the achilles protector. But I think its awesome. It is not uncomfortable at all, and it eliminates all those gouges and sprocket tattoos you get when get tangled up with the bike.

Chest: P.O.C. I got the POC chest protector in L/XL since I am 6 ft 1". I was worried it would be too big, since my Rockgardn was always a bit too big. It fits slim in the waist (I am a fatty at 200+). The shoulders seem to fit right, but I wear a 46 coat so if you have slender shoulders you may need the next size down. The shirt material is white stretchy perforated mesh cloth, and very comfortable directly against the skin, if that matters. And the back protector is both flexible and protective and about an 3/4" thick. The back seems to be made of about 90% VPD and a thin hard plastic directly over the spine, over the VPD mat. You can twist and bend completely, but it still absorbs impacts.

Arms/Forearm I am glad that the POC chest protector comes armless. The reason is that I cannot recommend the POC arm/elbow armor at this time. I have never been one with big guns, but I simply cannot fit in their arms. My biceps are only 14" and I can't imagine anyone more than 12" being able to fit these. So maybe if you are a XC-scrawny-geek-on-a-bike they will fit. If they are too small for my 5' 5" gf, I will have to send them back. That being said, they are a great design, the elbow shell slides inside the arm plate. There is excellent freedom of movement. It is just retarded they have a one size fits all for the arms. Anyone have a recommendation for Arm/Elbow only body armor? 661? TLD?

More to come
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa