Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Phoenix Knollfest

21K views 214 replies 47 participants last post by  LV RIDN 
#1 ·
There seems to be an increased interest in a Knolly gathering in Phoenix this winter. For those that have not been here, we have perfect riding weather this time of year. Does sunny and 65-75 degrees work for you? :) Oh yeah, we have some pretty good riding too!

Dirtbag and I are always here, tell me when you guys want to show up and we will make it happen. I can probably host a few people at my house and we can create a nice ride schedule.

For those who are serious about coming in, let's set something up.

I think they call this "chunk"

554479_3284935000285_1174937825_32664452_1905396883_n

526691_2038396816342_1736929599_1059822_1598497574_n

551949_2038401456458_1736929599_1059850_223805357_n

IMG_3798

See less See more
#2 ·
Knolly Arizona Chunkfest!

Checking with my trip scheduling coordinator as we speak.

It would be fun to get together with you and Dirtbag again and meet some of the other Knomers. Maybe Dusty could even make his way over with some demos for the potential knolly customers to check out?

#3 ·
I am down. Awesome. I dont mind crashing at a nearby hotel / whatever...but wont turn down the offer of a place to crash. My calendar is pretty messed up at the moment..and the minute i organize something...work will screw me around. Are you totally flexible?

Anytime after thx giving is probably best for me.

Three days of riding (Fri - Sun) Fly out Sunday evening?
I would try fly in Thu to get built up for Friday morning.

11/29 - 12/2
12/6 - 12/9

#7 ·
Guys,

I am open, so throw out some dates. I think I can host a few people and certainly make arrangements to pickup and provide transport for those that may be flying in.

Once we get some dates that work we can widdle them down to something that hopefully works for everyone. This would be a total trip!

BTW, there will be no XC sissy rides, they will be Endo/Chili approved rides. :thumbsup:

Here are some thoughts on routes:

Goat Camp (this is a MUST) - superchunk
National/Holbert/Kiwanis/National - a bit of everything
National/Cochise - interesting switchbacks
National/Viejo - steep and loose
National/Old Lady Ames - 7 of the toughest switchbacks you will ever ride
Alta - Swtchbacks "Doom", "Death", and "Destruction"
Kiwanis/National West - Phoenix "XC", still a kick in the pants

#21 ·
Is it National that has the campgrounds? I heard that it is a nice campground with showers.

Both of Muttonchops weekends work for me. There are at least three more Knomers in ABQ, would be nice to carpool :D
No camping at National, you can camp at USERY which is way out west, or at the White tanks I believe. If you stay at the White tanks you can shower at my place, it isn't too far away (about 15 minutes)

Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

#29 ·
Cactus - by far!

I once spent a half hour pulling spines out of someone's back after the looped out on the airport mesa trail climb in Sedona and went back wards into a giant prickly pear.

And, they're not all soft and cuddly like they look in cartoons: most of them are scrawny desert plants that are only slightly more forgiving than re-bar.

Don't even ride near a cholla - those things pretty much just jump out at you!

#131 ·
I remember reading this comment and wanting to post this picture......you know you neen living in Seattle too long when you see a clear sky and think its shorts and TShirt weather!!

Actually coming from South Africa...when i see clear skies....i think its going to be warm....still havent learnt my lesson :)

5308880088_ea9f3e44fd_o

#30 ·
I can attest to the goodness AZ has to offer! We just rode with tiSSer and gang during our trip last weekend. Did the 'go-to' ride at SoMo: National/Holbert/Kiwanis/National. Highly recommend getting out there, soon! Great group of guys. More motivation:

View attachment 733216
View attachment 733215
View attachment 733217
View attachment 733220
View attachment 733219

Bring your legs, lungs, balls and UST tires. Good times:thumbsup:

BTW - those Chili's look mighty fine in person. Surprised by how light the shock setups were as well.

#31 ·
South Mountain is always fun! Rode there quite a few times on my Titus before becoming Knollified. I'll be riding in Tucson 11/18 - 11/23 and Sedona 11/25 - 11/26 if anyone is interested in riding (PM me). Won't have my Chili as I can't afford to ship it back and forth from NJ so I'll be renting.:thumbsup:

#39 ·
I would also be totally down for this. Dec 7th is my birthday. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad regarding dates. Not like I am used to actually doing anything on my b-day (years and years of finals on my birthday). Either of those dates would work for me, just need a bit of advanced notice.

The rain and cold and darkness has finally settled in up here in the PNW. In another month or two I will be deep in Seasonal Affective Disorder. So this would be a great break! Lets make it happen!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.