Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I am also getting questions about the rides.
    Here's your Friday ride:

National > Holbert > Kiwanis > National - Lance, Jeff, Garrett & Brandon

I've done this route a few times now and it's much more fun than it is tough when the weather is good. It hit near 100* for us this past weekend and we also did 20+ miles in Sedona the day before. We managed to pull it off but nearly needed to airlift my PNW'erner bud off the mountain due to the heat. Weather in Dec will be beyond spectacular and you guys will really dig this ride!

I won't be making it - I forgot its anniversary weekend.

mtbr member

Late to the party

I would love to head as well. Spoke with Kevin today. Gonna try and make this happen. Have to pull some strings to get those days off work.
    TG

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I would love to head as well. Spoke with Kevin today. Gonna try and make this happen. Have to pull some strings to get those days off work.
    TG
    Don't do it....not gonna be a good time at all.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'd love to join you guys. I live in Prescott so it's only 1.5-2 hours away. Unfortunately I don't own a Knolly (yet). I am thinking of waiting on a 650b Chili or the new Delirium sometime next year depending on what happens with work and whatnot. I don't need accomodations or anything, but would love to just come riding on Saturday and check out some sweet rides. I will probably lag behind everyone as well, but I've ridden the Mormon Loop/National a couple of times.

mtbr member
    Wow, awesome you guys have some many committed and going, it's going to be a blast I'm sure. Be sure to take some good pics of all the shenanigans.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My girlfriend and I are headed to PHX for thanksgiving and might stick around. Its dependent on if she gets into an art show down there that weekend.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    My girlfriend and I are headed to PHX for thanksgiving and might stick around. Its dependent on if she gets into an art show down there that weekend.
    I have your Endorphins, and I'm not shipping them, I'm hand delivering them in PHOENIX.

See you there.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    dude, that is not funny. you better have a tracking number. i've been chasing the ups truck for two days now. need to get them built up before the trip south.
    Of course if you did hand deliver them i would assume i would get a rebate on shipping that could go into the Knolly Fest whiskey/tequila fund! and we all know, we're gonna need alot of whiskey. cheers

mtbr member
    Jeez, I envy you guys
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Yebo Numzaan
    Yeagh! Muttonchops in da house!

Arrive: Thursday Dec 6th 7:02pm Alaskan Flight 642
    Depart: Sunday Dec 9th 7:55pm Alaskan Flight 635

Flying into PHX - Sky Harbor

Excited to meet and ride with everyone in the desert...amazed at how quickly this idea grew into reality. Ready to get spanked by some cactus and desert rock...coming from the land of wet roots and loam
    I support EMBA

Knomer
    This is coming together nicely.

Brandon,

Is there any chance of starting the Friday ride around mid-day, so the 310 Cartel can drive out on Friday morning? Wading thru Thursday night traffic in LA means leaving at 3pm, which isn't a possibility for those who work, and leaving after work puts us in Phoenix after midnight.

Just a thought, or perhaps a 2nd ride on Friday?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    This is coming together nicely.

Brandon,

Is there any chance of starting the Friday ride around mid-day, so the 310 Cartel can drive out on Friday morning? Wading thru Thursday night traffic in LA means leaving at 3pm, which isn't a possibility for those who work, and leaving after work puts us in Phoenix after midnight.

Just a thought, or perhaps a 2nd ride on Friday?
    I was planning on a 10:00 or 11:00am start time. It will start getting dark around 5:00, and I expect 6-7 hours for the ride based on the ride time with Lance's crew. With the size of the group we have, we will have to keep moving, but I want people to have the opportunity to play around, especially on the Kiwanis climb.

Maybe we have an early, smaller ride, and then a later shorter ride as well???

What time do you plan on rolling into town? How many are coming with you? Are you squared away with accommodations?

Just some thought for a back to back ride:

Morning:
    National to BV and back
    National to Viejo
    Kiwanis/National/Holbert

Afternoon (depending on morning ride)
    Kiwanis/National/Holbert
    National/Viejo
    National/Old Lady Ames (time dependent because there is a ton of sessioning on this one)
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 10-31-2012 at 09:48 AM.

mtbr member
    How about instead of "event shirts" Kevin just brings down some official Knolly gear like what he was wearing in the Rampage pics.

Get them printed on assorted colors of shirts to encourage multiple purchases. With the amount of people showing for this he could easily clear out any stock he brought.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    ^^^

Knomer
    We will probably roll into town and be ready to ride at 1:00pm. Probably 4-5 of us.

How about creating a ride that has a half way point at one of the parking lots where we can can join in?

Or 2 rides. Whatever works. Wouldn't mind hitting Holbert, of course.

We will probably stay at the Ramada on Baseline, which is the only hotel I've ever stayed at in my life that has a strip club IN THE PARKING LOT. Talk about convenience!

]
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I was planning on a 10:00 or 11:00am start time. It will start getting dark around 5:00, and I expect 6-7 hours for the ride based on the ride time with Lance's crew. With the size of the group we have, we will have to keep moving, but I want people to have the opportunity to play around, especially on the Kiwanis climb.

Maybe we have an early, smaller ride, and then a later shorter ride as well???

What time do you plan on rolling into town? How many are coming with you? Are you squared away with accommodations?

Just some thought for a back to back ride:

Morning:
    National to BV and back
    National to Viejo
    Kiwanis/National/Holbert

Afternoon (depending on morning ride)
    Kiwanis/National/Holbert
    National/Viejo
    National/Old Lady Ames (time dependent because there is a ton of sessioning on this one)

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

We will probably stay at the Ramada on Baseline, which is the only hotel I've ever stayed at in my life that has a strip club IN THE PARKING LOT. Talk about convenience!
    ...and a Waffle House IN THE PARKING LOT. Talk about delicious!

I'm gathering as many "wife points" as I possibly can between now and December. I'm very optimistic I'll be making the trip with the other LA folks. Looking forward to meeting and riding with everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skins View Post
    ...and a Waffle House IN THE PARKING LOT. Talk about delicious!

I'm gathering as many "wife points" as I possibly can between now and December. I'm very optimistic I'll be making the trip with the other LA folks. Looking forward to meeting and riding with everyone.
    yeah Jeff, you better be there

mtbr member
    Bummed I will miss this. I will be in St Louis for work.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ha, just saw this. I can maybe make it..add me to "on the fence". Haven't ridden those trails in a long, long time..
    Last edited by Silent Bob; 11-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    Nick

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    yeah Jeff, you better be there
    South Mountain+Goat Camp+hanging with Pete/Fran+bourbon = trip not to be missed!

mtbr member
    Gearing and setup question.

Currently, I am on a 1x10, using a 36T in front and 36 is the largest cog in the rear. I take it you would recommend a 34T-36cog for the amount of climbing we will do?

Secondly. I have my Chilcotin in slack mode. I tend to hit roots with my pedals occasionally. This is no big deal, since the roots are soft and slimy, but rocks...not so much. I was thinking about steepening the geometry. I run a 160 Float.

How do you have your bike set up/what would you recommend? Thanks.

R
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Ha, just saw this. I can maybe make it..add me to "on the fence". Haven't ridden those trails in a long, long time..
    Nice Nick! Keep me posted. Let me know if you need a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post

Currently, I am on a 1x10, using a 36T in front and 36 is the largest cog in the rear. I take it you would recommend a 34T-36cog for the amount of climbing we will do?

Secondly. I have my Chilcotin in slack mode. I tend to hit roots with my pedals occasionally. This is no big deal, since the roots are soft and slimy, but rocks...not so much. I was thinking about steepening the geometry. I run a 160 Float.

R
    I've been running a 34 in front with 11-34 cassette in back lately and have found I can still climb most everything I used to climb in 32 x 34..... but I'm glad I kept my 22 for the really steep stuff.

I suspect for the steeper climbs on SoMo you'll want a 34 (or 32) up front.

With all the rocks I'd suggest putting the Chili in the steep mode for climbing. It only takes a minute to switch so you could switch back to slack for the descents....although I'd bet the 67 deg setting would be fine for descending too. Maybe even better for some of the more pedally descents like National and Holbert and the tight switch backs on Cochise.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post

R
    I would think a 32 chainring would be the ticket. You won't miss the 36 on the DH, and the added clearance for the steps will be much needed. Keep in ind that we will have a large group, so the climbs will be moderately paced. We have more interest in cleaning everything than being the first to the top. Also keep in mind that Goat camp is a 8 mile climb that can burn at times.

As for slack/steep, that is a personal preference. I run steep all the time, never change it.

mtbr member
    Do we need some more pics to keep the excitement going?

DSC00600

DSC00596

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast