Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Excellent. Hopefully everyone can get in about the same time. Are you planning to fly with or ship your bike?
    I am hopefully going to fly with. Researching bike cases atm. Might just make my own, they all seem pretty flimsy or heavy. (I am tempted to do a carbon fiber bike case, lol)

Anyone know of a good bike case, preferably one that just looks like a simple suitcase, and weighs less than 18 lbs.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    maybe EVOC? they are very popular here in europe and should be available in the states. they don't offer absolute protection but are light and spacious.

mtbr member
    Funny, I was thinking we could do up some jerseys. We'd have to get permission to use the Knolly logo, and I could certainly do better graphics work on the front, this is just a quick sample. Looks like maybe $40-$45 per if we were to order 8 jerseys
    I would definitely be down for a jersey or shirt. The shirts the Canfields are making now are super comfy, and I usually end up wearing mine on my rides.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I would definitely be down for a jersey or shirt. The shirts the Canfields are making now are super comfy, and I usually end up wearing mine on my rides.
    Canfield Bros have some other ideas you could use: Spoonin' Wear--Oh Yeah!

"sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    how did I know TSC would go there

-cabra cadabra

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I am hopefully going to fly with. Researching bike cases atm. Might just make my own, they all seem pretty flimsy or heavy. (I am tempted to do a carbon fiber bike case, lol)

Anyone know of a good bike case, preferably one that just looks like a simple suitcase, and weighs less than 18 lbs.

Call your LBS and get a box that a complete bike arrived in. I just used a Santa Cruz cardboard bike box to go to Moab and back. United charged $100 each way since it was a bike but still better than shipping. Much cheaper than buying a bike box that they will still charge you oversize for.

mtbr member
    Just flew to grand Junction and my Thule bike case with Chilcotin in it was 71 lbs. I think I was charged $125 each way on united.

TSC
    Buehliever
    how did I know TSC would go there
    Answer: Your amazing powers of deduction! It was going to be me, VanGor, RSCecil, or KRob; and I'm the one with the most pathetic life so.... I'm was your best bet.

@KRob: I'm kidding. You're more classy than those other hooligans. That's probably why you have a Rep Power of 3,000,000.

FTR: I think everything I write is funny when I've had less than 3 hours of sleep. After a nap I might be embarrassed but, right now, this post and the thong post are pure gold.

Knollician
    After spending some time discussing the ride plan with dirtbag, we decided it might be a better idea to hit Goat Camp on Saturday. This will should keep our legs "fresh" and allow us to spend all day sessioning and taking photos. We can then determine our Sunday route based on energy and time. This should give those driving home a head start Sunday.

Can I get a confirmed list?

So far I have:

Calhoun - Staying at my place - driving
    Rock Dude - Staying at my place
    RDH - Staying at my place (picking up from the airport at 7:00)
    MuttonChops - Staying at my place (picking up from the airport at ???)
    Dusty - driving
    dulyebr - driving
    dirtbag - local
    Ronnie - local
    Woodyak - Staying at my place (picking up from the airport at 8:15)

On the fence:
    krob
    ebxtreme
    bioniman

I can still fit a person or 2 at my place. Who am I missing?
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 10-29-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

MC MasterShake
    After spending some time discussing the ride plan with dirtbag, we decided it might be a better idea to hit Goat Camp on Saturday. This will should keep our legs "fresh" and allow us to spend all day sessioning and taking photos. We can then determine our Sunday route based on energy and time. This should give those driving home a head start Sunday.

So far I have:

Calhoun - driving
    Dusty - driving
    dulyebr - driving
    dirtbag - local
    Ronnie - local

On the fence:
    woodyak
    krob
    ebxtreme
    bioniman

Sorry for non-communications. I was up in VT doing a race this weekend. I should know if I can make it in the next day or 2. If I do come I'd like to stay at your place, if there is still room. My flight would be getting in at 11. If that's too late for you I could get a taxi.

What time were you thinking of finishing up on Sunday? Gotta figure out if I redeye it or not on the way back.

What are folks doing during the non-riding time?

Cheers!

MC MasterShake
    Wow, American is charging twice the baggage fee for a bike than Alaskan. $150 vs $75. I am trying to match the arrival and departure times of Mutton. 7pm arrival on Thursday, and a late departure on Sunday.
    Southwest and Jetblue have the best pricing on bike transport. I paid $50 each way for my trip to Seattle a couple months back.

MC MasterShake

I just picked up this one. It's pretty amazing. So easy to pack the bike and nice and light for cramming everything else in.

Evoc USA

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Sorry for non-communications. I was up in VT doing a race this weekend. I should know if I can make it in the next day or 2. If I do come I'd like to stay at your place, if there is still room. My flight would be getting in at 11. If that's too late for you I could get a taxi.

What time were you thinking of finishing up on Sunday? Gotta figure out if I redeye it or not on the way back.

What are folks doing during the non-riding time?

Cheers!
    I have a space reserved here for you. I suspect we will be riding most of the day Friday (when Lance was here, it took us over 6 hours with a small group, so I suspect we will be longer with more sessioning). I am planning on having a nice breakfast at my place, so we will be starting mid day if the weather permits. I'd like to hit Pinos for dinner Friday after the ride. We can hang at my place afterwards

Saturday, after we grab breakfast, we can plan on 5-6 hours for Goat Camp. I was planning on a BBQ at my place afterwards.

Sunday, I think it is reasonable that we hit National/Cochise. This ride is a must do for IMO. This should take 4 hours or so. I see no reason why you can't plan on leaving Phoenix at 6:00. This would give you time to head back, pack up, cleanup, and eat. I would plan on starting Sunday's ride at 8:00am so we have plenty of time and don't feel rushed. If we are energetic, we will climb up Mormon and hit Lower National. For those driving, they will be able to head home early afternoon.

The ride Friday and Saturday will take some time to really enjoy them. I see no reason to rush.

BTW, this is my backyard, so hanging at night drinking a beer, and reliving the day's carnage will be pretty relaxing

255563_4518652251388_1196566025_n

mtbr member

BTW, this is my backyard, so hanging at night drinking a beer, and reliving the day's carnage will be pretty relaxing
    Hot Damn! Nice place. That will be perfect for TSC to model the Knolly bikinis.

@Woodyak:
    -Yeah I did a bunch of research and just about everyone loves the EVOC. The black was out of stock, so I picked up a red one. I have done the cardboard box thing. But so many thousands of dollars into my Knolly's, $400 bucks for a good bag that saves me time is dirt cheap.
    -Alaskan Airlines is $75 to ship a bike, and no weight limit (at least until 115 pounds or something crazy). If you do not declare a bike, you will get hit with an oversize bag, and overweight, which is much more expensive. The other airlines were way worse than Alaskan
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

TSC
    Buehliever
    Hot Damn! Nice place. That will be perfect for TSC to model the Knolly bikinis.
    With my belly, I look naked in a thong. But my daddy always said, "if you've got a nice tool, be sure to put a roof over it!" (Sick and wrong; I know. I'm probably still too tired to self-sensor.)

If there is a way that a fat-bastard, like me, can do these rides without slowing the rest of you down then I'm interested. Don't count on me coming (I'm hoping to go to Mexico for the end of the world--Dec 23--so doing "Phoenix Knollfest" might be a stretch) but I would really love to meet you all and watch some awesome riders make some spectacular moves... or crash trying.

BTW, that's an amazing back yard!

mtbr member

So far I have:

Calhoun - driving
    Dusty - driving
    dulyebr - driving
    dirtbag - local
    Ronnie - local

On the fence:
    woodyak
    krob
    ebxtreme
    bioniman

I'll take up some of that extra space at your place

-cabra cadabra

Knollician
    I'll take up some of that extra space at your place
    Sorry, I updated it. I knew I was forgetting someone.

mtbr member
    damn, wish i had some time to go. hopefully its a hit and happens again. have a great time fellas

MC MasterShake
    I have a space reserved here for you. I suspect we will be riding most of the day Friday (when Lance was here, it took us over 6 hours with a small group, so I suspect we will be longer with more sessioning). I am planning on having a nice breakfast at my place, so we will be starting mid day if the weather permits. I'd like to hit Pinos for dinner Friday after the ride. We can hang at my place afterwards

Saturday, after we grab breakfast, we can plan on 5-6 hours for Goat Camp. I was planning on a BBQ at my place afterwards.

Sunday, I think it is reasonable that we hit National/Cochise. This ride is a must do for IMO. This should take 4 hours or so. I see no reason why you can't plan on leaving Phoenix at 6:00. This would give you time to head back, pack up, cleanup, and eat. I would plan on starting Sunday's ride at 8:00am so we have plenty of time and don't feel rushed. If we are energetic, we will climb up Mormon and hit Lower National. For those driving, they will be able to head home early afternoon.

The ride Friday and Saturday will take some time to really enjoy them. I see no reason to rush.

255563_4518652251388_1196566025_n
    Damn! How can I say no to that place? I'm in. I'll PM you with my details. Totally stoked to meet some of you guys finally and to ride sick trail.

Yebo Numzaan
    Will book flight today. planning to arrive same time as Ralph on the Alaska flight.
    I support EMBA

Knollician
    Guys,

I have updated the attendance list above. At this point I have 5 people staying with me, I am now fully booked. For those staying with me, I have 2 bedrooms, one of which has a queen bed. We can fit 2 people in that room. I have another open room in which we can fit 2 more people. I have the living room or game room available for the fifth person. If someone wants the couch, I can open that up if need be. For those staying with me, if you could PM me your email I we can work out shipping details, and pickup arrangements.

For those attending who are not staying with me, do you have a place to stay?

I am also getting questions about the rides. First I will say these will be social paced (on the climbs anyways) Friday's ride will be about 22-23 miles, starting with a 5 mile climb. The first 3/4s of a mile is pretty tough. It is steep in sections, it doesn't let up, and it has many quick power moves. Once there, the climb will mellow a bit and it more short bursty climbs. We will then descend Holbert, which we have only a few session segments, Holbert will be more "flowy". Once we get to the bottom of Holbert, we will hit the visitors center and take a break and fill up with water. We will then spin on the road over to Kiwanis. Kiwanis has very little elevation gain, but it is not stop tech. We will be sessioning many, many areas here, there will be lots of recovery time. We will then spin 4 miles up the road and descend back down National, with a few session spots along the way. National is a pedally DH. I expect 7 hours or so for this ride. We will then hit Pinos for dinner.

Saturday is Goat Camp. Goat camp includes an 8 mile climb, followed by a 3.5 mile descent. The first 1/3rd of the climb is a grunt, and it hurts a bit. We will regroup at the first saddle, and continue on. The second portion of the climb is buff singletrack, with a very tollerant grade. The descent is 3.5 miles of superchunk. It is not a fat descent, and it will beat up your body. The descent is 3.5 miles, which sounds short, but you will be feeling it. There is absolutely no reprieve for your body or mind on this trail. There will be lat least 3 session/photos spots. I expect about 5 hours for this trip, and a BBQ at my place afterwards.

Sunday is a bit up in the air. I would like to climb National, descend Geronimo and Cochise. Coshise is a very technical trail that is steep, has exposure, and 3 really difficult switchbacks, with penalty for failure. There is plenty of photo ops here. Once we complete this, we can either spin back to the cars (about 6-7 miles on a flat canal), or we can climb up Mormon. Mormon is a 1.1 mile climb that is steep and technical...it hurts. Once there, we can descend lower National.

I'm not trying to over or undersell the rides, but we will be tired. These rides only cover a small portion of the stuff I would like to show you, but it is a great cross section and mix of the trails we have.

mtbr member

So far I have:

Calhoun - Staying at my place - driving
    Dusty - driving
    dulyebr - driving
    dirtbag - local
    Ronnie - local
    Woodyak - Staying at my place (picking up from the airport at 8:15)

On the fence:
    krob
    ebxtreme
    bioniman

I'm probably more like 70% now so add me to the list.

I also like and appreciate the new ride schedule (Yeah Goat Camp!).

There's a chance I'll actually arrive early enough on Thursday to do a ride if anyone's interested....or I may stop off in Sedona and ride there Thursday.

mtbr member
    what time are you getting to PHX or possibly Sedona?

I haven't really firmed up what time I'll be leaving here and could maybe meet up.

-cabra cadabra

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Someone better bring a camera!!
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

mtbr member
    what time are you getting to PHX or possibly Sedona?

I haven't really firmed up what time I'll be leaving here and could maybe meet up.
    I'll assume that was aimed at me. If I get to Vegas (Logandale, actually) Wednesday night then I think it's about 5-6 hours to Sedona so figure 1:00? Another couple hours to Phoenix if I go straight through.... So 3:30-4:00 ready to ride at the earliest depending on where we ride. I'm leaning towards Sedona though.

If anyone knows of a late model four door GTI ('08-'11) with DSG auto and 1" receiver for sale anywhere in the Western US, let me know. Looking to spend $15,000-20,000.

My trip is contingent on me finding the right car by then. I've been needing a bike-trip/ travel car for awhile now and keep putting off the search and this is the carrot my wife is dangling. I know what you're thinking, "What self-respecting guy needs to be bribed to buy a car?" I know, right? And I even consider myself a car guy. I just hate the process and spending the money..... and I've had a bunch of stuff going on the past couple of months. Lame.
    Last edited by KRob; 10-29-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast