mtbr member

as per knollys website - 4x4

on the website it says:

The lightweight Four by 4 is used on the new Chilcotin and Endorphin models and is tailored for slightly more progressive spring rates. Again it has been designed to perform with longer travel high volume air shocks and features a direct drive linkage that compliments the lower leverage ratios found on both bikes.

if the chili is designed for air shocks (or have i just read this wrong), what effect does it have putting a coil shock on, i.e. are we deviating in a bad way? or if not, why not?
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    "Designed to perform with...air shocks" as a statement doesn't necessarily exclude coil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    on the website it says:

The lightweight Four by 4 is used on the new Chilcotin and Endorphin models and is tailored for slightly more progressive spring rates. Again it has been designed to perform with longer travel high volume air shocks and features a direct drive linkage that compliments the lower leverage ratios found on both bikes.

if the chili is designed for air shocks (or have i just read this wrong), what effect does it have putting a coil shock on, i.e. are we deviating in a bad way? or if not, why not?
    chris,,, the ccdb air, feels just like a coil shock, it really is that good, ( or at least it feels like it from the short time i have spent riding it,

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    chris,,, the ccdb air, feels just like a coil shock, it really is that good, ( or at least it feels like it from the short time i have spent riding it,
    I've had the opposite experience. I had a ccdb air for months. Set it up like on the cc website, adjusted it, then back again. I tried everything. It was good.

But then i put a ccdb ti coil on with stock settings from the cc website and it just blows the air away. I've still got it on the stock settings and it's still awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    having used a ccdb for 4 years on the dt, and a dbair onhe podium i can honestly say it feels every bit as good as the coil did. granted i have ony had 2 rides on the podium at this time, so cant really give a proper opinion, but first initial thoughts are they feel almost the same.
    i will get col to give his opinion soon as he's got my old db air on his soda, and a air on his chilli, so he will beable to give comparissons as he has both bikes here with him.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't a proper comparison use the same bike, rather than totally different bikes? I'd give a bit more cred to Tom's comparison, as it seems he tried both shocks on the same bike.

mtbr member
    ive been settled on a coil shock for a while, it was just to check what knolly is implying by their statement. cheers guys.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ccdb coil is sublime on the chilco.