mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Opinions on 2013 Vengeance HLR DLA?

Hey everyone,

For the last year i've had a 2011 Fox 36 Talas RLC on the front of my Chili. I have an opportunity with X-Fusion to get a brand new fork for a really great price.

I'm considering getting the Vengeance DLA (travel adjust) version which is 140-170. Would it be weird to ride trails in the 140 setting and then bump it up to 170 when descending? I currently have a straight 1 1/8 steerer on the fox so i'm running a zero stack headset. With the new fork I could run a tapered steerer with an external cup which would give me a little more height in 140 mode.

My other options are the air HLR or coil HLR both which I would lower to 160.
    Any input?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KineticFear View Post
    Hey everyone,

For the last year i've had a 2011 Fox 36 Talas RLC on the front of my Chili. I have an opportunity with X-Fusion to get a brand new fork for a really great price.

I'm considering getting the Vengeance DLA (travel adjust) version which is 140-170. Would it be weird to ride trails in the 140 setting and then bump it up to 170 when descending? I currently have a straight 1 1/8 steerer on the fox so i'm running a zero stack headset. With the new fork I could run a tapered steerer with an external cup which would give me a little more height in 140 mode.

Any input?
    Vengeance > Talas, get.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went from a fox float 36 rc2 to a vengence HLR in the 170mm length. I use mine with 1 1/8 steerer and zero stack headset. The Xfusion fork has a really long A2C so I wouldn't be too interested in running with an external headset unless you felt the Chilli was just too steep in the slack setting. Anyway, for me the fork feels perfect on the bike and it climbs so well I can't think of any reason I would ever want travel adjust. I'm in the northwest and typically climb 1000-4000 ft and then turn around and descend. I do a fair bit of enduro racing, some light freeride and the all day XC epic and the bike feels at home no matter the day. The Xfusion is miles above any fox I have owned and you will be very pleased no matter the model you choose. If it were me I'd go no travel adjust and save the little bit of weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I went from a fox float 36 rc2 to a vengence HLR in the 170mm length. I use mine with 1 1/8 steerer and zero stack headset. The Xfusion fork has a really long A2C so I wouldn't be too interested in running with an external headset unless you felt the Chilli was just too steep in the slack setting. Anyway, for me the fork feels perfect on the bike and it climbs so well I can't think of any reason I would ever want travel adjust. I'm in the northwest and typically climb 1000-4000 ft and then turn around and descend. I do a fair bit of enduro racing, some light freeride and the all day XC epic and the bike feels at home no matter the day. The Xfusion is miles above any fox I have owned and you will be very pleased no matter the model you choose. If it were me I'd go no travel adjust and save the little bit of weight.
    Hmmmm interesting, I use my Chili for pretty much the same things...it's my go to bike for everything besides park riding and DH racing which is what the Podium is for.

Because the Vengeance has a large A2C that's why I thought I might be alright to run the front at 140 with an external cup. I usually ride in the slack setting, now are you saying the headangle would get slacker with an external cup at 170mm?

As for weight, the XFusion website claims the HLR DLA and coil HLR are only 90 grams heavier than the air HLR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what is the A2C for the Vengence?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think an external cup and 170mm vengeance would be pretty darn slack for the chilli's intended riding style. 90 grams isn't much of a difference so maybe that isn't a factor. No matter what you decide it's a great fork for this bike and I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    what is the A2C for the Vengence?
    565mm @ 170mm

http://www.xfusionshox.com/product/f...ance-hlr-dla#3

Float, Talas, Van
    160: 545.3mm

20mm difference. so by switching forks alone, bike is 1deg slacker.

am i right in saying: 160 float (with internal cup) to 170 Vengence (with internal cup), bike goes 1deg slacker...if so doesnt this mean KineticFear could switch to steep mode, use an internal cup and straight steerer and the bike would be the same as it is just now, since hes running 160 floats in slack mode.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    565mm @ 170mm

http://www.xfusionshox.com/product/f...ance-hlr-dla#3

Float, Talas, Van
    160: 545.3mm

20mm difference. so by switching forks alone, bike is 1deg slacker.

am i right in saying: 160 float (with internal cup) to 170 Vengence (with internal cup), bike goes 1deg slacker...if so doesnt this mean KineticFear could switch to steep mode, use an internal cup and straight steerer and the bike would be the same as it is just now, since hes running 160 floats in slack mode.
    Basically yes that would be close to the outcome. That is just what I did only I continue to run in slack mode. I have never measured the head angle so I am not sure what affect it had, but I can tell that the HA is a little more slack and I don't notice as many frequent pedal strikes. To me this combo feels close to another bike I had with a measured 65.5 HA. The chilli still climbs great for what I do and descends amazing.
    I noticed that during long chattery rides/enduro races with my 160 float tuned to be very plush I would get numb in my hands and since switching to the xfusion this has not happened. This fork is so much more plush both high and low speed than my fox. I also noticed that the clicks on the xfusion make a notable difference were as the fox I could go 4 clicks and not really tell what it did in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So with the 20mm difference in the A2C between the Fox and XFusion, would that make the Chili feel awkward or natural in the 140mm setting?

Then again I think about it and I somewhat don't want to be fussing around with changing my travel setting when I'm trying to ride! So I could go for the coil @ 160 or put an avy cartridge in something, gahhh so many choices!

Knollician
    So with the 20mm difference in the A2C between the Fox and XFusion, would that make the Chili feel awkward or natural in the 140mm setting?

Then again I think about it and I somewhat don't want to be fussing around with changing my travel setting when I'm trying to ride! So I could go for the coil @ 160 or put an avy cartridge in something, gahhh so many choices!
    I think 140mm would feel rather underforked on Chili in most situations, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice travel for proper geometry. I really want to like the X-Fusion stuff as I have only read great things about them. The A2C is an issue for me though. I am very sensitive to geometry changes, and I really don't like to change travel at all.

One thing I keep looking at, is all the new forks coming out. With the new X-Fusion stuff, the new Pike, and even some of the changes Fox is making to their air spring curve, the one thing I am quite sure of, my Avy'd Lyrik is still better than all of them. I really like to buy new blingy stuff, but I just can't pull the trigger on a new fork as my 3year old Lyrik is just so good. Craig really knows his stuff, and his cartridge will transform any fork. You might just be on to something with an Avy cartridge.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    140mm won't improve the climbing (might be worse on steep tech), just force you to lean how to ride a 'different bike'. Find a geometry you like, leave it there, ride the piss out of it.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Hey everyone,

Any input?
    Why couldn't you run an external cup with your current 1 1/8 steerer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    140mm won't improve the climbing (might be worse on steep tech), just force you to lean how to ride a 'different bike'. Find a geometry you like, leave it there, ride the piss out of it.
    This was pretty much what I was looking for, thanks!

So I guess my plans are either a Coil HLR at 160mm or Avy cartridge some fork. Now Craig has a cartridge for a Fox 36 (the fork I already have). Has anyone put a Avy cartridge in a Fox 36 before? How did they like it? I have the Talas and I'm just not sure i'm fond of the Talas air spring system.

(also off topic but whats the email address you contact Craig at? I emailed techinfo@avy...last sunday and he hasn't responded)

~Kyle

mtbr member
    This was pretty much what I was looking for, thanks!

So I guess my plans are either a Coil HLR at 160mm or Avy cartridge some fork. Now Craig has a cartridge for a Fox 36 (the fork I already have). Has anyone put a Avy cartridge in a Fox 36 before? How did they like it? I have the Talas and I'm just not sure i'm fond of the Talas air spring system.

(also off topic but whats the email address you contact Craig at? I emailed techinfo@avy...last sunday and he hasn't responded)

~Kyle
    if you already have a fox get the avy cartridge and ditch the talas and go float, parts are available. no sense buying a new fork when the cartridge is where the quality is. the fork 36 forks are stiff and as good a platform as a lyrik to mod

Knollician
    Craig Seekins craig@avalanchedownhillracing.com

Give him a call. He is really busy right now and emails may be low on his priority list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @qbert2000 Where/what parts do I need to convert my Talas to a Float? I still might consider selling the Talas to get a coil fork because they are just more plush in my opinion.

@TiSS'er thanks for the email, will also be calling Craig. Would like to meet him too since I only live about 30 minutes from his shop

mtbr member
    @qbert2000 Where/what parts do I need to convert my Talas to a Float? I still might consider selling the Talas to get a coil fork because they are just more plush in my opinion.

@TiSS'er thanks for the email, will also be calling Craig. Would like to meet him too since I only live about 30 minutes from his shop
    from fox.

Fast, cheap & dirty Fox 36 TALAS to Vanilla conversion with photo's

Float Conversion Parts that's mojo in the uk but they source direct from fox

"Called Fox, they said that you can install the vanilla springs, top cap and lower rod into the float forks no problem"-that's from another thread on it

i think you'd be farther ahead going avy cartridge and converting to float or vanilla over a new fork. cartridge will be custom tuned for you and your riding preferences.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    from fox.

Fast, cheap & dirty Fox 36 TALAS to Vanilla conversion with photo's

Float Conversion Parts that's mojo in the uk but they source direct from fox

"Called Fox, they said that you can install the vanilla springs, top cap and lower rod into the float forks no problem"-that's from another thread on it

i think you'd be farther ahead going avy cartridge and converting to float or vanilla over a new fork. cartridge will be custom tuned for you and your riding preferences.

A VAN with an Avy cartridge would be sublime. Besides, isn't it worth supporting your neighborhood businesses?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Alright we'll i decided to go for the coil HLR, turns out they're sold out of coils in black for the season.

What's available is air HLR (tapered, worried about A2C) in black or I was considering the new 2014 Pike...hmmmm the pike would cost more since SRAM doesn't support my team but a 4 pound, 160mm fork is intriguing.

Now I know it's 15mm but I don't do huge things on my Chili because the podium is for that so I'm thinking the Pike might be a good option.

-Kyle

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just so ya know my coil vengence at 170 sits at 555mm not 565 like many believe