mtbr member

One of those days...

I was doing some annual maintenance on the Tach, and though I'd re-install the BB to try and fix a new creak I'd been hearing.

I was actually waiting for the day, when I would strip the BB trying to take it off, since you can't quite get all of tool over the BB on the V-Tach, and today was my lucky day.

I stripped the BB, so I tried to remove the chain stay, so I could get the whole BB tool over the BB.

To take out the main pivot shaft, I have to remove the chain guide. One of the chain guide bolts was seized, so the allen head stripped out.

After drilling out the bolt, my bolt extractor bit broke off inside the bolt. Then I had to jimmy rig a long bit to drill it out from the other side.

Turns out, the main pivot axle was seized in the frame anyway, so it wasn't coming out today. (bearings still work fine though).

I tried several other vise grip/pipe wrench combination to get the BB off, which ended up destroying the BB. So I came up with this idea, which worked. I'm sharing it here, for those of you ever in need of the last resort.

One of those days...-001.jpg[/URL]

Here's the chain guide bolt:
    One of those days...-009.jpg
    One of those days...-005.jpg

mtbr member
    By the way, I'm in the market for a Large V-Tach. If you know anyone selling one of the newer versions (2009ish), please send them my way.

mtbr member
    Bummer. I have had one of those days too, trying to extract a soft/crappy crank bolt that stripped out. For the V-Tach, perhaps an open ended BB wrench would be a better tool for the job?
    You wouldnt have to worry about it slipping off.

Buzz
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    That looks exactly like the tool I needed. Not sure those were available back in the day when I bought my BB tool.

Do you know what the knob on the end of it is for? Mine has one too, that I can't figure out. Actually, as I type this, I think it might fit in the crank hole for the pedal, but I don't see that working all the time with different length cranks.

mtbr member
    The little knob on the end is for Shimano cranks. The preloader on the non-drive side that you tighten down before you snug up the pinch bolts uses that little tool.
    These wrenches have actually been around for quite awhile. I think they came out first, before it was realized that a tool that fully wraps the BB shell is actually better.

mtbr member
    I took a open ended bb wrench and ground off part of the end. It gave me a bit more turn radius. Worked on my old Foes which made the DT look roomy.