mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Old (2009) Endorphin Question - front lifts so easily?

Hi,

I've had my Endorphin for a few years now but I don't seem to be enjoying it as much as I thought I'd be.

Here's the build:
    Knolly Endorphin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

Coming from a hard tail Rocky Blizzard which I seem to enjoy riding more, the Knolly seems to like lifting its front wheel during climbs. On my old hard tail during some climbs I can't bring the front wheel up no matter what.

I've tried everything from a 70mm to 120mm stem (not settled on a 90), also have my seat as far forward as I can get. Cockpit feels cramped in comparison..

I'm 6'4", but Bryan at Knolly recommended I get a Large frame instead of an XL. I did test drive an XL before I bought, which I did enjoy and liked every facet of the ride.

Sorry feel embarassed to ask, but having gone back to riding my old hardtail more I sorta feel the Endo was a waste esp after putting down that much munnies I feel really bad not liking the ride... is there anything I can do, or did I buy the wrong bike?

Thanks..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri View Post
    Hi,

I've had my Endorphin for a few years now but I don't seem to be enjoying it as much as I thought I'd be.

Here's the build:
    Knolly Endorphin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

Coming from a hard tail Rocky Blizzard which I seem to enjoy riding more, the Knolly seems to like lifting its front wheel during climbs. On my old hard tail during some climbs I can't bring the front wheel up no matter what.

I've tried everything from a 70mm to 120mm stem (not settled on a 90), also have my seat as far forward as I can get. Cockpit feels cramped in comparison..

I'm 6'4", but Bryan at Knolly recommended I get a Large frame instead of an XL. I did test drive an XL before I bought, which I did enjoy and liked every facet of the ride.

Sorry feel embarassed to ask, but having gone back to riding my old hardtail more I sorta feel the Endo was a waste esp after putting down that much munnies I feel really bad not liking the ride... is there anything I can do, or did I buy the wrong bike?

Thanks..
    I'm the same height as you and used to ride a large size in the old Endo. Stem was 70mm and I had a post with some set-back. The cockpit room with this set-up was fine and I never experienced a problem with the wheel lifting while climbing. In fact the climbing was excellent but due to the slack seatpost angle on the old Endo I had to shift my weight further forward than compared with the Chili which I now ride.

Have you tried lowering the front by using a combination of using less spacers/low rise bars/zero stack bottom cup ?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    What fork height? I nearly always climbed at 130-140mm travel range, maybe even a bit lower on steep techy stuff with lots of ledge ups. Keep in mind that the original Endorphin was originally designed for a 140mm fork. It still does a lot of things really well with 160mm but you really have to pay attention to how you are weighting the wheels to keep the front end down and traction on the rear.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am 5'11" and ride a large old Endo, Fox 36 160mm, 65-90mm stem, regular CK headset. While sizing depends on personal preference, riding terrain, etc, etc., IMO, Knolly's size recommendations seemed smallish. the bike is better at going downhilll but I can also crawl up pretty much anything. Hate to suggest this, but your bike may simply be too small especially for extended really steep, technical climbing???...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm 5'7" on a medium endorphin running a 45 mm stem and 710 bars. I ride east coast technical ups and downs

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Alright, some good suggestions. I'll try them all out again once the snow melts. Thank you!

I've been trying to be cognizant about what fork height I'm riding at.. I've got it pretty much set to the shortest 120-140mm 95% most of the time as the terrain I'm riding doesn't require full travel anyways. I'm also running the small 5mm spacer. It's set up with a riding position not much different from the my old bike with a forward lean to it. I never found the more upright riding position comfortable as I tended to slouch.

The down side to when I was building mine up is that other than the one guy here that had one, I didn't have any other frame of reference to go by when I was speccing one out.. big lesson learned there.

Yebo Numzaan
    Hey bru,

do you have the correct sag on the RP23 and have you ever changed the seals / had it serviced. If you measure the exposed shaft while not seated on the bike - is there 2.25 inches of shaft exposed? If not, you should get it serviced. The bike might be sitting low. The RP23 can get stuck 'down' which i believe is caused by air moving to the negative air chamber and preventing the shock full extending.

good luck
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Silvestri, I'm almost as tall as you and ride a Large Chili. True, you could ride an XL, as could I. I'm happy on the Large. It took me a few months to get used to the ride after coming off of hardtail XC single speeds, but I can now confidently and comfortably climb much more tech than before. It really is a completely different climbing position.

Also, pinkbike has a good video series on bike position techniques.

mtbr member
    I'm also 6'4" with a long torso and ride a 2013 XL Endo. I can't imagine stepping down to a Large frame. I need a 25.5" top tube as a starting point. The new Endo is close to that, but most brands' XLs are still short of 25." I imagine the older Endo is comparatively short in the TT in size large. I also have 9" of seatpost showing - with a shorter frame I would need even more post exposed. I would feel like I am riding a child's bike. I would be far more upright, and thus keeping my weight where it needs to be would be extremely difficult, not to mention I would have to pad the stem to protect my knees.

I run my XL with a 160 fork (plus 25mm of spacers, 70 mm 6* stem) and have no problems keeping the bike planted while climbing except for the ultra-steep, granny-gear-is-a-struggle steep sections (for which I drop my fork to 120).

Bottom line - I suspect your frame is way too small for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My experiences with the older Endo.

160 was awesome on the DH, but on the climbs I felt it was too much. The front end got light too easily. I ended up spacing the fork down to 150 and liked that much better all around.

The bike seem really sensitive to SAG and Saddle position. Too much sag and climbing was very taxing. Saddle too far back and same thing, climbing felt very taxing. For me I had the saddle slid almost all the way forward on the rails. I'm 5'9 and this was on a Medium endo.

Your frame size could also be an issue, but I did experience that same things you are. I think you can make the bike perform better, but while I got the bike to where it performed reasonably well on climbs, I personally never got it 100% dialed. The Geometry on the new knolly's put you in a better position on the bike if you ask me. My Chilcotin out climbs my old Endo hands down and out performs in by far on the DH.