Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Knollician

Newer Marzocchis???

How are the newer generation (2012-2013) Marzocchis holding up? Looking at moving to a coil on the Chili and an Avy'd Marzocchi is an option, and so is a conversion for my Lyrik. My concern with the Lyrik is that I am between spring rates.

has anyone seen any smokin' deals, new or used, on a 55 RC3Ti 170mm? Anyone interested in a Lyrik Solo Air with an Avy cartridge?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    How are the newer generation (2012-2013) Marzocchis holding up? Looking at moving to a coil on the Chili and an Avy'd Marzocchi is an option, and so is a conversion for my Lyrik. My concern with the Lyrik is that I am between spring rates.

has anyone seen any smokin' deals, new or used, on a 55 RC3Ti 170mm? Anyone interested in a Lyrik Solo Air with an Avy cartridge?
    haven't heard a bad word about those, everyone I know is very happy with them. also, spoke to craig yesterday and asked which coil fork is best to get for any avvy upgrade (to go with my new woodie) he choose 2010 fox 36 van 160mm.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    also, ive been told the 55 is getting completely revamped for a release a year from now. in the same manner that they've revised the 888 this year. youll probably have noticed lots of 55s that look different from the old ones, and in all different colours, if you've been keeping an eye on the enduro world series. what your seeing there is the field testing stage for the revised 55.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had a 2012 55 rc3ti 160mm on my chili before my avy lyrik coil and if I didnt go avy, I dont think I would have sold it. Super solid fork, easy on the hands but didnt seem to dive a whole lot.

Looking at building up a podium next season and the 888 evo ti is my first choice, before it gets avy'ed.

Fairly subjective and opinionated but hope this helps. They fell off the wagon but I think they got right back on.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    I had a 2012 55 rc3ti 160mm on my chili before my avy lyrik coil and if I didnt go avy, I dont think I would have sold it. Super solid fork, easy on the hands but didnt seem to dive a whole lot.

Looking at building up a podium next season and the 888 evo ti is my first choice, before it gets avy'ed.

Fairly subjective and opinionated but hope this helps. They fell off the wagon but I think they got right back on.
    Thanks. I would get it Avy's immediately before I put on my bike. Not a chance in hell I'm riding a fork on my chili that isn't Avy'd. Not sure I want to drop $1100 on a fork when the Lyrik has been so good to me, but has a few drawbacks at my weight. I'm now out of the sweet spot for the PSI on the Lyrik, and not sure which direction to go. I might convert the Lyrik to coil, but not sure about that either as it has been difficult to source the parts.

mtbr member
    Start eating a lot of cookies, that'll get your weight up so you can use a heavier coil
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Perpetual Hack
    2011 66 (or Lyric 170 DH Coil in "trail mode") is butter.
    210 (nekid) on the firm 6.5 Ti spring.
    Full travel and not overly divey (more than the lyric) use it for Lift/DH on the Delirium.
    Good small bump, mid stroke is a bit soft as noted, but a nice ramp up at the bottom.
    Foam rings are pulled and replaced with slick-honey, fluids are a Redline blend to match the stoke zoke oil weight.

2013 888Evo2 Ti on the Podium.
    Again, Slick Honey, Redline fluids and firm 6.5 spring.
    Nice small bump, mid is noticabley firmer than the 66 but still a bit soft, deep stroke ramps up nicely again.
    However, the full bottom out - I still have no idea as I'm not getting full stroke, lacking the last 15-20mm.
    I am going to pull the volume adjustment and fettle the fluid levels a bit.
    Still suffering the broken rib thing, so no hurry to do the bench-work.

Have thought of the new 380 dual bleed cart or $ depending - popping for the avy for next season...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    2012 Marz 55ti on my chilly. Absolutely love it.

They almost lost me as a customer with the 66Air forks (stunningly bad), but they bounced back something fierce and absolutely nailed it with their Ti Coil offerings.

mtbr member
    I had a 2012 55 RC3 Ti coil on my 5 Spot and loved it. Sold it off to help fund the Chili.... but after my experience with the 2013 Fox RC2 Fit I'm wishing I'd kept it. Beautiful fork. Very plush on small stuff, controlled in the mid-stroke. Never had one problem with it. I haven't seen those come up on year end clearance like I used to. After Marz went through their problem years (2008-09) confidence was low and they were easy to find. Now I don't see any blow-outs on pricing. Only paid $489 for mine. Sold it for $350.

The one thing to be aware of is the coils on those forks were pretty lightly sprung. You had to add air pre-load to stiffen the spring rate if you weighed over ~170. Mine was perfect for me with zero air or slight negative air in the pre-load chamber.

Maybe with the AVY cartridge that won't be an issue. Maybe they've changed the spring rate in the newer models too.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-22-2013 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    This year I upgraded my old (first or second year) Lyrik with the Avy conversion. I'm very happy with it, I'm running the coil U-Turn version. I never got full travel out of the factory cartridge but the Avy is super smooth and gives me full travel. It's the best upgrade I've made (even the Delerium T to Chili upgrade). Now I need to get the new DBA with climbing switch as the Chili bobs more than the DT.
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

%$#$*!
    Will the new '14 Marzocchi's have different trail/rake than previous models? TiSS'er, I recall you not getting along with the older 55 for that reason. If you can't source the coil parts for the Lyrik, you might have to bite the bullet and pick up a 36 Van.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Will the new '14 Marzocchi's have different trail/rake than previous models? TiSS'er, I recall you not getting along with the older 55 for that reason. If you can't source the coil parts for the Lyrik, you might have to bite the bullet and pick up a 36 Van.
    I was not happy with the 2010 RC3 on my gen 1 Endo, it felt too big. The A2C is 556 v 555 of the Lyrik, and the Chili geo is a bit more forgiving for a lack of a better word.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I would get it Avy's immediately before I put on my bike. Not a chance in hell I'm riding a fork on my chili that isn't Avy'd. Not sure I want to drop $1100 on a fork when the Lyrik has been so good to me, but has a few drawbacks at my weight. I'm now out of the sweet spot for the PSI on the Lyrik, and not sure which direction to go. I might convert the Lyrik to coil, but not sure about that either as it has been difficult to source the parts.
    lay off the burritos and chimichangas. Cheaper

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I had a 2012 55 RC3 Ti coil on my 5 Spot and loved it. Sold it off to help fund the Chili.... but after my experience with the 2013 Fox RC2 Fit I'm wishing I'd kept it. Beautiful fork. Very plush on small stuff, controlled in the mid-stroke. Never had one problem with it. I haven't seen those come up on year end clearance like I used to. After Marz went through their problem years (2008-09) confidence was low and they were easy to find. Now I don't see any blow-outs on pricing. Only paid $489 for mine. Sold it for $350.

The one thing to be aware of is the coils on those forks were pretty lightly sprung. You had to add air pre-load to stiffen the spring rate if you weighed over ~170. Mine was perfect for me with zero air or slight negative air in the pre-load chamber.

Maybe with the AVY cartridge that won't be an issue. Maybe they've changed the spring rate in the newer models too.
    I miss my 2012 66 RC3Ti that was on my Delirium. Problem free, super supple and smoof, buttery goodness. I sold it when I moved to a big bike + chilcotin. Avy'd 160mm SA Lyrik is completely different than that fork was. Big bike has a 888 RC3Ti that is good, but not quite as good as the 66 was. Next DH trip I'll drop a spring rate back to the stock and try to make the damper work harder, as the firm spring just doesn't have the small bump compliance that I want.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was not happy with the 2010 RC3 on my gen 1 Endo, it felt too big. The A2C is 556 v 555 of the Lyrik, and the Chili geo is a bit more forgiving for a lack of a better word.
    So what's yer plan? I see the fork up for sale.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    So what's yer plan? I see the fork up for sale.
    I'll see if there is interest in the Lyrik. I can see myself rocking a 2013 RC3 TI 170 with an Avy cartridge.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll see if there is interest in the Lyrik. I can see myself rocking a 2013 RC3 TI 170 with an Avy cartridge.
    Cool...I know Ti isn't an option for the lyrik and parts a bit hard to find, but you're dropping some cash to get a Coil'd 170mm fork!

I picked up a Lyrik Coil to drop my AVY in, just haven't made time to move it over. Edit: out $200 for the Lyrik Coil U-Turn, in good shape. Expensive bench weight until I drill out the lowers on this lyrik!

Knollician
    Cool...I know Ti isn't an option for the lyrik and parts a bit hard to find, but you're dropping some cash to get a Coil'd 170mm fork!

I picked up a Lyrik Coil to drop my AVY in, just haven't made time to move it over. Edit: out $200 for the Lyrik Coil U-Turn, in good shape. Expensive bench weight until I drill out the lowers on this lyrik!
    Well, not really. If I can sell the Lyrik, I'm out about $500 for a new fork with an Avy damper. Good thing I work to buy bike stuff

I should mention, I can get the parts through an LBS, but the price for the parts is about $200, and another $100 to revalve the Avy...so that doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather spend another $200 to get a new fork.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, not really. If I can sell the Lyrik, I'm out about $500 for a new fork with an Avy damper. Good thing I work to buy bike stuff

I should mention, I can get the parts through an LBS, but the price for the parts is about $200, and another $100 to revalve the Avy...so that doesn't make much sense to me. I would rather spend another $200 to get a new fork.
    Word, that makes complete sense. I was lucky in that Craig said my Avy didn't need a revalve due to the rebound being properly valved for 210# and moving it over onto a firm sprung coil.

Check around for durability on the 2013 Marz - they've moved factories for 2013 model year!

Knollician
    Word, that makes complete sense. I was lucky in that Craig said my Avy didn't need a revalve due to the rebound being properly valved for 210# and moving it over onto a firm sprung coil.

Check around for durability on the 2013 Marz - they've moved factories for 2013 model year!
    Yeah, something I am concerned about. Still not completely sure I want to part with the Lyrik since it has been solid.

mtbr member
    Yeah, something I am concerned about. Still not completely sure I want to part with the Lyrik since it has been solid.
    It already sold?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    It already sold?
    No, not yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How much is your Avi Lyrik going for?

I assume you weigh more than me so revalving would have to be done, but humour me anyway as Im looking to Avi my Talas 36 for my Range(Oh the horror!)

mtbr member
    can you get an avy cartridge for a 170mm fork? I might have picked craig up wrong but I was under the impression the cartridges were for 160 forks
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    can you get an avy cartridge for a 170mm fork? I might have picked craig up wrong but I was under the impression the cartridges were for 160 forks
    Yeah, He makes them for 170 55s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast