No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

New to the Knolly family, incredibly impressed

My name is Blatant and I have a mountain bike problem ...

I recently picked up a lightly used 2009 Delirium T frame in size XL for a very attractive price. I was taking a chance for a few reasons. First, I definitely didn't need another bike. Second, just looking at the seat angle made my aging knees hurt. Third, at 6'2" with a 34-inch cycling inseam, I almost always ride a large frame.

I bought it anway, put it together this past week and gave it a shakedown run yesterday. Not a high-end build, but solid and dependable for its intended use on hacked out Arizona trails.

Build:

-- '09 Delirium T, XL, Fox DHX 5.0, 400-lb spring
    -- '10 Marz. 55 RC3 ti, 160
    -- Mavic 819 hoops, King rear, Hope front, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 front/rear (the 3C/Exo single-ply version)
    -- 2012 XTR brakes 180/160
    -- SDG Bel Air, Reverb dropper, XTR cassette, XO type-2 rear der. with X0 grip shifter, Truvativ Descendant cranks, Time Atac Z pedals, Cane Creek XX headset, Transition Temple Lite stem, Chromag bars, KMC Ti gold chain, etc.

Build went together pretty well. Since I'm on the low end of the height spectrum for this frame, I ran a 50mm stem, the Reverb fully slammed into the frame and a set of 170mm cranks. Surprisingly, the fit is spot on.

The 400-lb spring is probably a little light; I'm just under 190 nekkid. Probably could use a 450, but couldn't source one last-minute. I was unable to run the rear fully slammed forward which I would prefer as the rear tire badly rubs the front e-type der. when the suspension is compressed.

Photos:

Awesomized by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Drove a couple hours north to Flagstaff yesterday to ride with some buds. Most of the upper Mt. Elden shuttle trails are still closed due to snow, but some of the lower stuff was open and we did a bunch of steep pedaling and descending.

First thing I noticed is how well this bike pedals, particularly considering the coil shock and bike's weight. I was too scared to weigh it, but I'm guessing around 38 pounds. Frankly, it's shocking how effectively this thing gains altitude; I was pushing one to two gears harder than normal. And that's not even taking into account the radical altitude difference. I typically ride in roughly the 2000 elevation range and Flag is upward of 8000 feet.

Second thing I noticed was how sensitive and plush the suspension is. Almost like riding a DH bike, except pedal-able. Not sure I've ever ridden a bike that was so efficient and plush at the same time.

I'll get it out on some of my rockier, more techy home trails tomorrow. In the meantime, though, I'm pretty stunned with this bike.

Perpetual Hack
    Welcome to the family.

...and the scary thing is the newer ones pedal even better whilst not losing out on the ability down...

And yes, you would want a 450lb spring.
    When I was riding the DT with coil it was a 450 and I weighed 205 at the time.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Shovel Ready

Welcome to the club.

Knollician
    Um....I think I told you Knollys were unlike any bike you had ever ridden, many, many months ago at the top of Mormon. You will never know until you ride one. People just don't understand the significance of the 4x4, they think it is just another Horst Link. As mykel noted, the new bikes are, dare I say, in another league from the older bikes. My Chili is far better than the first gen Endo in EVERY aspect. It climbs better, it descends better, it's lighter, stiffer and a hell of lot burlier.

Congrats on the bike.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Many of us learned to go pretty big on that setup right there.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Um....I think I told you Knollys were unlike any bike you had ever ridden, many, many months ago at the top of Mormon. You will never know until you ride one. People just don't understand the significance of the 4x4, they think it is just another Horst Link. As mykel noted, the new bikes are, dare I say, in another league from the older bikes. My Chili is far better than the first gen Endo in EVERY aspect. It climbs better, it descends better, it's lighter, stiffer and a hell of lot burlier.

Congrats on the bike.
    I'm not a advanced rider and I can tell the difference.

Then again maybe it's the loaner Fox 36!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    People just don't understand the significance of the 4x4, they think it is just another Horst Link.
    Where have I read that before?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.