Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Interesting thoughts comparing the Endo and the M6 Vic, and I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph about the different suspension systems. Have you been back on the M6 since building the Endo?
    No. I don't enjoy swapping bikes back and forth so I'll just ride the Endo for a while to get it to the point where I'm not improving my setup or adaptation on the bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The Endo climbs well in open. I haven't touched the climb switch while riding including shorter logging road sections. I'll be doing 1hr+ logging road climbs in Cumberland this weekend where I'll probably use the CS for the fist time in anger. That said I flipped the CTD to T on my M6 for those sections as well. The climbing performance between the two bikes is too close to call. They feel a bit different going up, but the end result looks pretty much the same. The Endo is a heavier bike and in particular has heavier wheels.

Descending the Endo's longer front centre and 150mm fork keep it on the same level as the M6 for the slower speed steep tech and the faster smoother trails. I suspect the M6 will pull away from the Endo in faster chunk [think TWE in Moab], but I don't have any to ride locally to test my theory. I also assume I could pull away from the M6 on the Endo for smooth uber fast flowy trails, but I don't have any of those at home either.

The Endo in large is a longer bike than my M6 in large. That makes for a more open cockpit and more room to move around on the bike. In faster more open terrain that is nice. In tighter twisty terrain the M6 scoots through easier. The M6 is more playful. The Endo is more stable at speed. I prefer a slacker STA so I use a setback post on the Endo and a straight post on the M6 to get them to 73 deg +/- 0.5 deg.

I could have created more separation between the two bikes by putting a more XC/trail set of parts on the Endo, but I wanted it to be more capable for AM riding, which it is, but that means it's fairly similar to the M6.

I can't really tell any difference about one frame being carbon and one being AL other than the fact the AL frame is heavier. The ride feel is close enough that I don't have a preference eiher way.

My objectives with the Endo were 1) get a fresh bike that rode a bit differently to the M6 just to keep from getting bored on my local trails, 2) test out Knolly 4x4 to see how I liked it thinking ahead to future carbon $$ bikes and 3) maintaining a lot of capability/versatility despite the shorter travel.

On all those fronts I think the mission has been accomplished. The Endo definitely has a different feel to my M6 and it's making my trails feel fresh. 4x4 climbs well in open giving me zero desire to flip CS switches while providing lots of traction. My Endo build will ride everything the M6 will ride even if the mega chunk slows it down a touch.

If you made me pick between the Endo and the M6 I'd keep the M6 as it's lighter, climbs as well and is more capable - it also costs 3 times what the Endo costs. If I was starting from scratch I'd probably get the XL M6 for the longer frame. If Knolly comes out with a 140-150mm 29er I'll be very interested in it for my next bike. That said I have no intention of choosing between the Endo and the M6. They are both awesome bikes and they are different enough to keep me interested.

At the moment I am enjoying the Endo more than the M6, but that's just due to new bike stoke and the fact I have ridden the M6 hundreds of times on my local trails until I sort of have them memorized.

Reading the armchair engineers pontificate about Knolly's 4x4 vs. other systems without any actual saddle time on a Knolly makes me laugh. Comparing the versions of 4x4, DWlink and VPP I've owned my take on it is they all work. I don't get up climbs faster or easier on one vs. the others within the noise range created by the other differences in the bikes. I don't spend time flipping climbing switches on any of them [beyond fire road grinds]. That's not to say they are the same and they definitely have a different feel, but there is no bottom line difference that is particularly noticeable. So if Santa Cruz, Pivot or Knolly makes a sweet bike that I like a lot I won't hesitate to buy it and ride it because of the different suspension designs. All the systems I've owned and ridden extensively are dialled. FWIW I am a professional engineer so I must be right.

Great write up. I get more out of this than the formal "pro" write ups.

Will be interesting to see how things feels once you get back on the 6.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

I ordered a 9 point 8 dropper for the Endo. Got the 150mm drop version as that's how much room I have under the saddle. It will be nice to have a bit lower saddle than the current 4" dropper and hopefully better action when the saddle raises.

Got the WT trigger. After years of Reverb use that will be so nice.
    I have a 9Point8 Fall Line on both my bikes and I really like their posts. No issues after a year with the first one, and it goes low and comes back quick but not explosive.

The one i just put on my Delirium two weeks ago started acting up: not staying down, or not going all the way down, etc. The air was set at 40psi by my LBS, so I just gradually reduced the pressure. Ended up at 22psi and everything's working great now.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Currently in Inventory. 2 Thomsons, 1 KS Integra, 1 Fox Transfer, 1 Crank Brothers Highline. On order Bike Yoke Revive. In summary, they all suck. LOL. Hopefully, the ability to purge the air on the Revive may offer some hope. J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    Currently in Inventory. 2 Thomsons, 1 KS Integra, 1 Fox Transfer, 1 Crank Brothers Highline. On order Bike Yoke Revive. In summary, they all suck. LOL. Hopefully, the ability to purge the air on the Revive may offer some hope. J
    LOL, you have more money tied up in dropper posts then some people have in bikes!

My inventory currently has a reverb, KS LEV, KSi950, and a Thomson. The only one that has not given me any trouble and is my solid backup while the others are being repaired is the old KS i950......

mtbr member
    I have and have had:

- CB Joplin 3*
    - CB Joplin 4
    - KS [~2010 forgot model]*
    - KS Hi-Ten
    - Reverb x 2
    - 9.8 [new]

No issues with any of them. The ones with "*" are dead, but only after many years of use. I haven't had to open up and service the internals of any dropper yet. Just maintain the remotes. And that's with 5-6 months a year of wet sloppy coastal BC winter riding.

My main issue with the Reverbs I have been using for the past 3yrs is the poor ergonomics of its remote, which RS just solved.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Vic, I need you to sprinkle some of that dropper magic my way. It's bad when droppers can't last as long as a rear tire. J

mtbr member
    Vic, I need you to sprinkle some of that dropper magic my way. It's bad when droppers can't last as long as a rear tire. J
    That would suck. I'm pushing 200lbs loaded with water/tools and ride rough terrain so I can't explain why I'm not breaking droppers.

Now of course I have jinxed myself and my 9.8 will be dead in a week.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Similar experience here.

4 x Reverb
    1 x KS Lev
    1 x Specialized
    1 x 9.8

No problems with any of them.
    Only had to maintain/bleed the remotes.

I like the 9.8 the best. Well made and works great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Historychris View Post
    I have a 9Point8 Fall Line on both my bikes and I really like their posts. No issues after a year with the first one, and it goes low and comes back quick but not explosive.

The one i just put on my Delirium two weeks ago started acting up: not staying down, or not going all the way down, etc. The air was set at 40psi by my LBS, so I just gradually reduced the pressure. Ended up at 22psi and everything's working great now.
    Good to hear they have been working well for you. I had to lower the pressure from where it was set from the factory. I like a fast raising post, but it was set to "Nut Crusher" out of the box.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi guys, Andrea here from Finale Ligure, Italy.
    I've added a Warden Carbon to my Endo, so now I've got a full Knolly quiver for going up, down and around our trails.
    I'll post some pics soon, just wanted to thank you all for all the info I gathered in this forum in the past months.
    Ciao!

mtbr member
    Holy shit! I bought a KS Integra when I bought my Warden two years ago, pumped it up, installed it and haven't touched it since other than to swap it onto the the Endo. Did I win the dropper lottery or something?! It has a little play but has worked flawlessly...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Holy shit! I bought a KS Integra when I bought my Warden two years ago, pumped it up, installed it and haven't touched it since other than to swap it onto the the Endo. Did I win the dropper lottery or something?! It has a little play but has worked flawlessly...
    Yes you did. My integra has need 3 rebuilds in that time.

Got pretty tired of the reliability so pre-ordered the new e13 mechanical post for my Warden.. shipping date slipped to June so I just spent the $$$ and got the 9point8 with digit remote.

Just installed it but the seat clamp alone has got me pretty excited. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had a KS for ~4yrs+ of solid year round use with only cable changes in the remote. It did fail eventually and I just replaced it instead of fixing it. I figured it didn't owe me anything at that point.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have 2 KS Levs. First I bought over 2 years ago, and not a lick of trouble. The second is just over a year old, and I have been riding a loaner Lev from my LBS more than the one I bought. My LBS is very good to loan me on while mine is away on warranty. Next time is something I can easily fully service at home.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The KS Lev cartridges are easy to replace. They run $75.00 US. Modern bike used to have them online. J

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ahh.. good old lev rebuild day.. such fun.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
    Ahh.. good old lev rebuild day.. such fun.

Assuming that is your kitchen, there is no way you are married.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Assuming that is your kitchen, there is no way you are married.
    That is my kitchen and I am married.. but sometimes she falls asleep. Lighting is better in the kitchen for this type of work.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I used to change jets on my snowmobile carbs on the kitchen island with my wife's help. She's the best. 34 years and counting. J

mtbr member
    That would suck. I'm pushing 200lbs loaded with water/tools and ride rough terrain so I can't explain why I'm not breaking droppers.

Yep. First rule of Dropper Club: Never talk about how long you've gone without a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

so 9.8 isn't so good after all?
    what's wrong with it?

mtbr member
    Wife is still rocking it on the 26" Endorphin. I keep showing her photos of the new 650B one but she doesn't seem to be affected by 'upgraditis' like I am haha. Still a rockin' bike and still gets attention on the trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digifun View Post
    so 9.8 isn't so good after all?
    what's wrong with it?
    I was being sarcastic. Hence the "winky" emoji. Nothing wrong with the 9.8. It's working great and it's nice to have a fast rising dropper again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Wife is still rocking it on the 26" Endorphin. I keep showing her photos of the new 650B one but she doesn't seem to be affected by 'upgraditis' like I am haha. Still a rockin' bike and still gets attention on the trails :
    If it ain't broke don't try and fix it. My friend rocks a 26er Endo and she loves it. You couldn't pry it out of her hands.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I spent the last 3 days up in Cumberland and Parksville on Vancouver Island riding with Travis Bickle and Geraldooka and a few other members of the KNation.

Had some great rides and got a better handle on the Endo. It shreds uphill so well. I made a bunch of techy climbs I didn't think were going to happen by just staying on the gas and the rear tire found some traction in the mud or on some slippery routes. It squirted up a few tech sections so easily I was through them before I had time to even give it a thought. I like tech climbing so that was cool.

Downhill the longer WB and more open trails up island were really fun. I ran out of travel once in 3 days on a particularly fast and chunky trail. Although I felt like I was using the full capabilities of the Endo more of the time when I was riding than when on my Mach 6 on the same trails.

My only complaint from the weekend was a super annoying squeak. I tracked it down to the bushings in the rear suspension. I pulled the pivots, cleaned them and greased the $hit out of them. The bike was silent afterwards which made me very very happy.

I didn't really notice the extra volume reducers at both ends when riding at slower speeds and climbing, but when I got the Endo up to full speed smashing berms and blasting through roots and rocks it felt really well balanced and supple with lots of progression so even when I used all the travel I didn't feel any harsh bottoming.

I'm happy enough with the suspension now that I don't have any plans for further major adjustments. It's time to just ride the damn bike. We'll be heading to Hornby Island in two weekends. The Endo will tear up those trails. I can't wait.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I've started hearing the occasional squeak out of mine, I'll get onto it this weekend! Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike.

mtbr member

This weekend was a virtual Knolly-fest with something like 12+ Knollys being spotted on mid-island trails. Our group was 5 Knollys strong and we ran into quite a few KNation members on our rides.

For a small brand they have a strong presence locally. That makes sense as they work very well for our brand of techy riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think Vik's strong legs have something to do with the bike squirting up hills. By yesterday min was barely dribbling. My creaking was coming from my crank arm, now sorted, and me knees, still creaking. I think the trails we hit in Cumberland suited the Endorphin very well, with a bit of everything, chunk, smooth, twisty, straight(ish), gradual, and steep. All-round shines, while too little or too big are going to fight you in different places. I think my Endo with the inline coil is versatile enough for nearly anything. At Hammerfest the trails we rode are not so steep, but long gradual descents that carve through the woods encouraging excessive speed and whoops, and stupid grins. While beginner friendly, experienced riders just carry more speed. The Endo flies down this, but then so does my buddy on his SS Honzo. There are also a few gradual curvy climbs thrown in which are fun if you have enough gas left to crank. 2 years ago when I bought my Warden a Knolly was a pretty sight, but like Vik said, they are catching on here on Mountain Bike Island (formerly Vancouver Island).

mtbr member

Travis is a legend. Retired with tons of time to ride, living in a mountain bike mecca, understanding wife, sweet fleet of bikes to shred and the skills/fitness to make good use of all that potential.

On a good day I can keep him in sight.

I'm saving and investing $$ so I can retire soon and be Travis' apprentice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    4 years ago I was when I moved here I was lucky enough to meet my riding crew, on my first day out. Some of the guys are wickedly fast, and I learned a lot by trying to chase them. It's a different style of riding than I was used to, and riding with them was an eye opener. The whole group is faster, and fitter than back then, and I know having a great bike like a Knolly helps. Last night I chased a younger fella, went stupidly fast, and today I slammed a sapling. I believe that Knolly's eventually lead to cockiness, which leads to a crash. Anyway, the Endo is dialled now, and I'm very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Travis is a legend. Retired with tons of time to ride, living in a mountain bike mecca, understanding wife, sweet fleet of bikes to shred and the skills/fitness to make good use of all that potential.

On a good day I can keep him in sight.

I'm saving and investing $$ so I can retire soon and be Travis' apprentice.
    Now if my father had pitched it like that when I got my first job in my teens I'm sure I'd be a lot closer to retirement by now (mid 30s)! I'm still a long way off retirement, but working for the railway is the next best thing...

mtbr member
    Now if my father had pitched it like that when I got my first job in my teens I'm sure I'd be a lot closer to retirement by now (mid 30s)! I'm still a long way off retirement, but working for the railway is the next best thing...

Yup. Looking back and thinking about how little extra I would have had to save each year to be retired now makes me a little sad, but better late than never!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds like you really like the Endo Travis. Could it be a one-bike quiver for you? Do you get out on your Warden very often?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have to have 2 bikes, have to. That said, yes I'll take the Endo on any trail that I'm willing to ride. I did take the Warden out recently and it is still top choice on a few trails. IF I had to choose, I would put the 36 on the Endo and keep it. Glad I don't have to choose.

mtbr member
    Having less than two bikes is crazytalk! You need at least 1 backup bike when you ride year round as things break/wear out and you need to send parts away for maintenance.

I'd ride the Endo anywhere I'd ride my Mach 6, but there are definitely some trails where I would be going slower. That extra 25mm of rear travel lets you blast through chunk at speed noticeably easier.

If you told me I could only have 1 bike between the Endo and the Warden I'd probably take the Warden and build it up light with a bling parts kit. Locally the Endo is the better fit, but as I slide towards retirement I plan to take more and more time off, which I'll use to travel and the Warden would take on everything I'd want to ride without a second thought.

But like Travis mentioned I'm glad that's not a choice I have to make. I plan to keep the Endo and at least one longer travel AM bike.

My current quiver:

1. Mach 6
    2. Endo
    3. SC Nomad MK2 [26er~!]

I'd to replace the Nomad with a 29er [140mm-160mm travel] once I cross paths with the right beast.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks guys. Being forced to choose only one bike would be no fun. Lucky you don't have to choose!

I have an Warden and a Chilcotin. I ride the Warden 98% of the time and could easily live with it as my only bike. For the trails around here it is perfect. It is nice to have a backup bike though.

mtbr member

I spent the last 3 days up in Cumberland and Parksville on Vancouver Island riding with Travis Bickle and Geraldooka and a few other members of the KNation.

Had some great rides and got a better handle on the Endo. It shreds uphill so well. I made a bunch of techy climbs I didn't think were going to happen by just staying on the gas and the rear tire found some traction in the mud or on some slippery routes. It squirted up a few tech sections so easily I was through them before I had time to even give it a thought. I like tech climbing so that was cool.

Downhill the longer WB and more open trails up island were really fun. I ran out of travel once in 3 days on a particularly fast and chunky trail. Although I felt like I was using the full capabilities of the Endo more of the time when I was riding than when on my Mach 6 on the same trails.

My only complaint from the weekend was a super annoying squeak. I tracked it down to the bushings in the rear suspension. I pulled the pivots, cleaned them and greased the $hit out of them. The bike was silent afterwards which made me very very happy.

I didn't really notice the extra volume reducers at both ends when riding at slower speeds and climbing, but when I got the Endo up to full speed smashing berms and blasting through roots and rocks it felt really well balanced and supple with lots of progression so even when I used all the travel I didn't feel any harsh bottoming.

I'm happy enough with the suspension now that I don't have any plans for further major adjustments. It's time to just ride the damn bike. We'll be heading to Hornby Island in two weekends. The Endo will tear up those trails. I can't wait.
    So how many volume reducers did you end up with. I've never added any and feel like I could use a little more end of stroke ramp up on my DB Inline.

Also does anyone know if the volume reducers are the same for the DB Air and DB Inline?

I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    So how many volume reducers did you end up with. I've never added any and feel like I could use a little more end of stroke ramp up on my DB Inline.

Also does anyone know if the volume reducers are the same for the DB Air and DB Inline?

I put one of the reducers shown above in cut down to 3 rows. When I open the shock next I'll put a full size reducer in to try it. The shock feels good so I'm not going to bother until later in the year.

https://www.canecreek.com/store/susp...uction-spacers

As far as I can tell CC only sells one volume reducer kit so it seems like it would have to work on all shocks. The design is pretty flexible as it's not moulded out of hard plastic so it can bend to fit in any diameter shock can.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

During Saturday's ride I noticed my 9.8 dropper was slipping occasionally both up and down. We've finally got some hot summer weather here on Vancouver Island. Looking at the 9.8 site it seems the three main issues are:

1. too much pressure
    2. needs a brake reset
    3. cable tension too high

So I lowered the pressure quite a bit. On my pump I am down around 15psi, but 9.8 notes that shock pumps are not very reliable at low pressures so I just went by return speed, which is still fast.

I also took the opportunity to do a "brake reset". Honestly I am not even sure what that does, but It's simple enough....pull the remote cable fully and hold for 10 seconds.

The cable tension was set as spec'd in the install instructions. The remote has some slack before the cable starts to get pulled.

I took the Endo out for an early ride today to avoid the worst of the heat. Ya I am soft! Anyways dropper worked perfectly.

I also checked out the dropper re-lubing video while I was on the 9.8 site. Looks super easy. I'll plan on doing that every 3 months or so.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You might want to carry rosary beads and fresh garlic in your pack to keep the dropper demons in check, I do. J

mtbr member
    You might want to carry rosary beads and fresh garlic in your pack to keep the dropper demons in check, I do. J
    Ha. I've had good luck with droppers so I am not worried.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The garlic actually makes my pack smell better. J

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Do bears like garlic? Probably.

mtbr member
    The garlic actually makes my pack smell better. J
    Rather than resort to garlic I just wash my riding clothes, pads and pack as needed.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I made the mistake of sniffing my pads to see if they needed a wash. Never doing that again.

mtbr member
    I was waiting for a group ride to start and bent down to adjust something on my bike. I start to bitch internally about how stinky somebody was standing near me until I noticed how close I was to my knee pads.

Washed everything twice on hot & heavy duty cycle that night.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Vikb.

Tire question for Victoria. If you were racing in the dump area, what tires would you use?

Have a couple of friends racing there soon. My inclination is dhf exo 3c maxterra up front not sure out back. Any maxxis suggestions (they have access to this brand).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    Hey Vikb.

Tire question for Victoria. If you were racing in the dump area, what tires would you use?

Have a couple of friends racing there soon. My inclination is dhf exo 3c maxterra up front not sure out back. Any maxxis suggestions (they have access to this brand).

Thanks
    Keeping in mind I don't race and I don't run Maxxis tires....something like DHF/Ardent would work as long as you don't mind some sliding out back. This would be for current summer conditions. For winter I'd want a proper knobby in the back like a DHR.

The dump is rooty and rocky with current dry conditions there is lots of loose dirt as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Had an awesome three days of camping and riding this weekend at Hornby Island. The Endo was perfect for the high speed forest trails we rode. Climbed the long fireroads like a champ and found traction for all the steep punchy tech sections. I cleaned everything for the first time and it felt relatively easy.

On the downs I have two friends I ride with regularly that are much faster than me so I normally lose contact with them when the trail heads downhill. This weekend I was glued to their tails most of the time and I didn't feel like I was on the edge of control or anything. That surprised me a lot.

And I managed not to crash!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I still can't believe how amazing and fun this bike is.

Took it to silver mountain bike park yesterday and it felt amazing, so smooth, but still very playful.

The bike just feels dialed and with the new bearing in the hubs it feels even better.

New to the KNation!-img_20170604_171915.jpg

Keep on Rockin...
    Probably already covered here somewhere, but...

Think the new Maxxis 2.6" tires would fit the Endo?

I ask as Maxxis tires often run small.

mtbr member

You should read this thread: Endorphin 27.5 inch plus?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Yup, the 2.6 Rekon mounted on a 35i rim fits great on the new Endorphin.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member

Ghetto carbon repair...just take a Sharpie and cover the scratches!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On

What scratches?...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    New to the KNation!-knation-edit.jpg

Loving the warden in its native environment!

mtbr member
    Nice
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    New to the KNation!-35372611615_0ba66aac7f_b.jpg

Great ride on the Endo today. Coming off a leg injury that saw me in the ER a week ago I wasn't sure what to expect. No fears this bike just wants to go fast up and down. It was one of those days where everything felt easier than it should and I was flying along.

With lots of tech and steep ups and downs the Endo kept its composure no matter what came around the corner. It's a solid mountain bike that doesn't need to get pinned down by category labels. I bottomed out the suspension more than once, but I never felt anything harsh. I'm starting to forget that I am on a 130mm bike and have confidence I can ride anything short of a DH track on the Endo.

By the end of the ride I knew that I had overdone it, but riding was so much fun I just wanted to keep going faster and faster. No worries. That's why they made advil and beer.
    Last edited by vikb; 06-18-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Braaap
    What truck topper is that? It's massive!
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    What truck topper is that? It's massive!
    New to the KNation!-8461564817_f4bcfccc61_b.jpg

I don't recall who made it, but there are a few companies that will do something similar. You pick the general shape and options out of a catalogue and they build it for your truck.

My old truck was a Mazda B4000 [aka Ford Ranger] and I got tired of taking off the front wheels to fit a bunch of bikes inside so I got the taller cap with the new truck.

The new cap is strong and doesn't have windows so all the bike bling inside is kept out of sight of anyone that might get tempted when I leave the rig parked.
    Last edited by vikb; 07-01-2017 at 06:35 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    I loved my B4000, miss that truck. If they made a crewcab of that truck I'd seriously consider replacing both my current vehicles with it. Solid, reliable and inexpensive to maintain.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member

I heard there was a new Ford Ranger coming out which might fit the bill depending on your replacement time frame.

New Ford Ranger - Ford Ranger Compact Pickup Returns for 2020

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I've got enough time on the stock suspension settings for the DBAir[IL] to have a good handle on how it rides. My conclusion is that stock settings are a great start. The bike disappears under me and I can focus on my riding without thinking about the shock. That's how it should be.

That said I am now going to play around with the settings to see if I can improve things a bit more. Mainly I am speeding up the LS and HS Rebound to see if I can generate more pop/playfulness from the bike.

With the stock settings there is traction galore and the Endo is fast up and down the mountain, but the downside is it sticks to the ground more than I'd like when I want to pop of trailside features and just mess around.

If I don't like the new settings I can always go back to stock.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

If it's cutting into the fibers, you might want to smear a little quick drying epoxy on there. I had a crack in mine I noticed just before our race and my wheel builder was with me and suggested I do that. So far it's holding up great and the crack hasn't expanded. (Doesn't look bad, but not as invisible as the sharpy, lol)

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    If it's cutting into the fibers, you might want to smear a little quick drying epoxy on there. I had a crack in mine I noticed just before our race and my wheel builder was with me and suggested I do that. So far it's holding up great and the crack hasn't expanded. (Doesn't look bad, but not as invisible as the sharpy, lol)
    Thanks KRob. I do QC on aerospace composites so I am on top of the carbon situation.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks KRob. I do QC on aerospace composites so I am on top of the carbon situation.
    Gotcha. So maybe I should be asking you. Is the epoxy a good (temporary) fix?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Gotcha. So maybe I should be asking you. Is the epoxy a good (temporary) fix?
    I would need to see the damage in person. I don't diagnose repairs from a photo much less a vague description of the damage.

FWIW I've had many rock scratches on my carbon rims over the years and I have not done any repairs to them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I just joined the Knation! Just placed my order for a Black, large, endorphin with a CC DBair IL. This is my first bike I've bought since 2004. I road this old Beauty forever!

She was ugly, heavy and climbed like a pig but we had fun.

Well time to move on. I'll post my dream build list later.

mtbr member

Took the Endo to Maple Mountain today. Had a great ride. The Endo made short work of the climb up and did really well on the descents. That said as I was blasting the Endo down some of the faster chunkier sections I was thinking about being on a longer travel bike. I ended up flatting the front and the back each once.

I'd take the Endo back there, but maybe next time I won't try and stay in front of the guy on a 160mm bike and I'll put more air in my tires to give me a little more margin for error.

It's also a reminder that as great as the Endo rides it's a 130mm bike and eventually I'll find its limits. So since I would never engage in any one-bike-fleet heresy I just need to make sure I also have a longer travel ride in the garage.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, Maple Syrup is sure a fun trail isn't it? I rode my Warden there and it felt like the perfect Bike for the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Yeah, Maple Syrup is sure a fun trail isn't it? I rode my Warden there and it felt like the perfect Bike for the trail.
    I agree on the 155/160mm bike that's perfect for getting the most out of the DH at Maple. The Endo did fine until speeds got really fast and then there was nothing extra to pull out when something unexpected came around the corner or I didn't ride as light as I needed to.

On the trails themselves I like the challenge and there are great individual sections, but when I look at the whole day in total it's not one of my favourite trail systems. Regardless of what bike I am riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Interesting. I really enjoyed The climbing trail on Maple. What are your favorite trails in the Nanaimo-duncan area?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I don't have that much experience in that area, but I love Mt Tzhouhalem. Double D, and Loam Line were what we did last time, not that technically demanding but crazy fun. I have gone to Hammerfest (Parksville) quite a bit, and love Jughead, Locomotion, and Down Under. Fast and flowy👍

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Interesting. I really enjoyed The climbing trail on Maple. What are your favorite trails in the Nanaimo-duncan area?
    The climbing trail is great at Maple. Individual parts of the descent are great, but the whole thing in total is not [for me]. It's like watching a movie with some awesome scenes that don't quite come together to make an amazing movie.

Don't get me wrong Maple isn't terrible and I am not saying we should nuke it from orbit, but I've done it enough times now and looking back I'm feeling "meh". I posted that on FB and a number of friends said "Glad I am not the only one that feels that way."

I don't ride Naniamo. We go as far as Duncan for day trips and then at that point we do weekend trips up island in Cumberland or Hornby. Nanaimo is far enough it's not enticing for a day ride and nobody I ride with wants to spend a weekend there!

In Duncan Tzouhalem is great. I don't have a trail list for you, but we ride all the popular trails. You can make lots of really fun loops. I'm in the minority that doesn't really like Double D at the Tzou. Down south Harbourview is really nice.

Our typical rides are at Hartland or Partridge Hills in Victoria since they are 15mins from my house. I like the old school techy trails we have locally. I know lots of people from other areas would hate them because they are super slow and have no flow by current standards.

If I never rode another modern flow trail I'd be just fine.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I had a great ride last night. Ran into two Knolly riders in the parking lot [Endo & Warden] who joined us for the ride. Lately I've been into riding a lot of the older less popular "tech gnar" trails locally. So it's cool to show them to folks that haven't ridden them. It also allows you to do fresh loops which is nice because I get bored of the same rides even if the trails are top notch.

My best win of the night was almost making it up a techy extended climb that's eluded me for years. I made a stupid mistake [thinking ahead to the crux and blowing an easy part] I rode all the hard bits so I know I'll get it done the next time or two I ride it. That will be so amazing. I hate having to get off the bike!

Because it's an extended effort with lots of power moves up steps and over roots you really need to budget your energy so you can accelerate again and again to keep your momentum up.

I had a chuckle when I got to the top reminding myself "Knollys aren't efficient climbers" yet somehow I keep setting PRs going uphill on one.

I was happy to see my tubeless plug held fine despite lots of rocky abuse. It's sealed well enough it should be good now for the rest of the life of the tire. The back also was good, but it was a really small puncture that didn't need a plug so I expected it would be okay. I am going to add some fresh sealant to both tires this weekend since they bleed a bit sealing my recent flats.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

2nd ride in a row we met a visiting Knolly rider in the parking lot and showed them around the trails. Our main local trail network is quite complicated and not super well signed so having locals show you how to ride for best flow and what lines to take is nice.

We ride the same trails so much we can get a bit bored of them and seeing them through a fresh set of eyes makes us appreciate how darn good they are.

Then we had a tailgate party back at the truck to celebrate Canada Day!

I've got 9 days off and plan to get in 9 rides to make the most of living in Coastal BC.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On

New to the KNation!

Nice work and goals for the next 9 days we took on the late shift and hit Hartland just after you. We took North Ridge down to Daves Line and so on. I haven't been on Daves Lines for a couple of years. It was great to ride the entire trail without hesitation and roll through parts I recall walking in the past.

The Endo and I are starting to gel after a few minor tweaks; cutting the bar down to 760 as well as lowering it by 10mm, installing a higher tooth count free hub and moving the seat forward a smidge.

Time to get some summer single track action...

Last edited by geraldooka; 07-17-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Nice work and goals for the next 9 days we took on the late shift and hit Hartland just after you. We took North Ridge down to Daves Line and so on. I haven't been on Daves Lines for a couple of years. It was great to ride the entire trail without hesitation and roll through parts you recall walking in the past.

The Endo and I are starting to gel after a few minor tweaks; cutting the bar down to 760 as well as lowering it by 10mm, installing a higher tooth count free hub and moving the seat forward as smidge.

Time to get some summer single track action...
    Excellent. I'm finding the Endo a great Hartland bike. A little more work through the tight stuff due its length, but climbs the tech well and handles all the steeps very nicely. I'm glad you are getting it dialled. With that Avy'd suspension you should feel like you being carried along by baby angels!

I cut my bars down to ~740mm which looks like 750mm with my grips. I still have to dodge trees, but at least here and there as opposed to non-stop!

Great to see the family rolling on Knollys. Once the little man is big enough you can hand him down an Endo.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Summer is in full swing here on Vancouver Island. The Endo is getting a real workout. After demoing an Evil Wreckoning in Cumby, which had a much higher stack I decided to raise my bars on the Endo 10mm. So far I've enjoyed that. It's more comfortable for flat/rolling sections and pushes me back a touch on steeper descents. I haven't noticed any downsides climbing.

Speaking of climbing I've been getting lots more wins on the Endo. I love cleaning steep techy sections going uphill and I'm finding the Knolly is so great for motoring up through crux moves I've either never made before or never tried because I didn't think I'd be able to do it. That's opening up fresh lines on old trails, which is very cool.

The Evil Wreck I tried was a total beast downhill, but my Endo is more fun to ride just about everywhere else. It's nice to end a demo being fully stoked to get aboard your own bike instead of lusting for new bling.

Don't get me wrong though...if I was headed to Moab for a month and could pick between the Endo and the Wreck...I'd take the Wreck. It would be so great for high speed smash and destroy missions, but that's not typical of island riding, which I do 95% of the time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I spent the weekend in Cumberland and got to ride with Travis again. Knolly HQ you have a pretty great brand ambassador in Travis located in a MTB mecca. Despite saying he was tired Travis was riding strong, which encouraged me to give 'er. I managed to set a bunch of PRs up and down the mountain. Following a local is an ideal way to improve your flow and go faster without even realizing it.

I set three PRs on descents that I had previously set on my Evil Wreckoning demo. It was good to see that small wheels + some flow could out run big wheels on a smash and destroy mission.

The Endo continues to impress me. It's such a well balanced all rounder. I'm getting used to how long it is compared to my older bikes. It's helping me hold extra speed going down and that seems like a good trade off for the loss in playfulness/agility. Going faster is fun as well!

All the parts I selected for the build are holding up well. In particular the Light Bicycle carbon wheels, 9.8 dropper and CCDBA[IL] shock are all taking a beating and performing flawlessly.

The Shimano XT drivetrain offers up a pretty nice gear range and good shifting for what was a really nice price. It is a bit noisier than I would like, but it's not bad enough for me to overcome my laziness and do anything about it - yet! I enjoyed the SRAM Eagle on the demo Evil I tried, but the XT setup is so cheap and cheerful it's hard to get excited about spending the $$ on the SRAM parts. Not to mention that I only use the 46T cog as a bail out gear occasionally so getting a 50T isn't all that motivating on this 27.5 bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

All the parts I selected for the build are holding up well. In particular the Light Bicycle carbon wheels, 9.8 dropper and CCDBA[IL] shock are all taking a beating and performing flawlessly.
    Vik, what length dropper are you running? I have a large Endo coming I'm 6'2" or 188cm tall and I think I can get away with a 200mm drop 9.8.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    Vik, what length dropper are you running? I have a large Endo coming I'm 6'2" or 188cm tall and I think I can get away with a 200mm drop 9.8.
    I'm 5'11" with 33" pants inseam and running a 150mm 9.8 dropper.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Id be surprised if you can run a 200mm dropper on a L frame. The 150mm 9.8mm dropper needs ~9.4" for full insertion. The 200mm 9.8 dropper needs ~12.2 inches.
    At 6'2" I would think you might be wanting to go up a size to the XL. Ask Vik how he felt about going with the smaller size

https://www.9point8.ca/image/catalog...agram%20v1.pdf

mtbr member
    Being 6'2" I was right on the edge of a large vs XL. Cavan and Noel from knolly are both on and refer a large so that's what I went with. Cavan said he uses a 200mm drop and there about an inch from the bottom of the collar to the top of the seat tube on the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Id be surprised if you can run a 200mm dropper on a L frame. The 150mm 9.8mm dropper needs ~9.4" for full insertion. The 200mm 9.8 dropper needs ~12.2 inches.
    At 6'2" I would think you might be wanting to go up a size to the XL. Ask Vik how he felt about going with the smaller size

https://www.9point8.ca/image/catalog...agram%20v1.pdf
    Buzz, your link wouldn't work

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Ask Vik how he felt about going with the smaller size
    Ha! On the plus side I got to switch shocks and buy a different colour frame that I prefer. Totally worth it! Okay maybe not!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Vik, what LB rims are you running on the Endo?
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin Custom Build*

mtbr member
    I guess that is your answer then? It better to have to have the post slightly above full insertion to get the correct ride height rather than the opposite situation. You dont want to have it fully in the frame only to find that the post is too long for climbing at top out.

mtbr member
    I just got this email from knolly:

"Our seat tubes run unimpeded top to bottom. So any 200mm post should fit in there just fine."

mtbr member
    Its a PDF, and it works for me. Weird.

It under the 'FIT' menu on this page:

https://www.9point8.ca/index.php?rou...product_id=118

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    Vik, what LB rims are you running on the Endo?

https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-...ompatible.html

So far no issues. I've hammered them into rocks and pinch flatted a tubeless tire with not a mark on the rim.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Hi all!

Re: Dropper post length for an Endorphin (or Warden or Delirium): At 6'2" the average male rider will have a 34" inseam length. This will just barely accommodate a 200mm dropper post. If your leg length is longer (35" inseam)" you should be Ok and will probably have approximately an inch of seat post extension. If you're at the 34" inseam "average" range, it will start to become saddle / pedal specific as to whether the 200mm dropper post will be too tall or not fully extended. The seat post itself has absolutely no issue accepting the length of a 200mm 9point8 dropper post: it's only the raised seat height that will be a concern.

The safe bet if is the 175mm dropper post: this should provide enough drop for all but the most hardcore riders in the most serious terrain on an Endorphin and will ensure that there are no concerns with the maximum raised saddle height.

If you are able to measure your current saddle height accurately then you should be able to work with 9point8 to determine if their 200mm long post will work for you or not.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

https://www.lightbicycle.com/carbon-...ompatible.html

So far no issues. I've hammered them into rocks and pinch flatted a tubeless tire with not a mark on the rim.

Thanks Vic.
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hi all!

Re: Dropper post length for an Endorphin (or Warden or Delirium): At 6'2" the average male rider will have a 34" inseam length. This will just barely accommodate a 200mm dropper post. If your leg length is longer (35" inseam)" you should be Ok and will probably have approximately an inch of seat post extension. If you're at the 34" inseam "average" range, it will start to become saddle / pedal specific as to whether the 200mm dropper post will be too tall or not fully extended. The seat post itself has absolutely no issue accepting the length of a 200mm 9point8 dropper post: it's only the raised seat height that will be a concern.

The safe bet if is the 175mm dropper post: this should provide enough drop for all but the most hardcore riders in the most serious terrain on an Endorphin and will ensure that there are no concerns with the maximum raised saddle height.

If you are able to measure your current saddle height accurately then you should be able to work with 9point8 to determine if their 200mm long post will work for you or not.

Cheers,
    You guys are awesome! I just doubled check my inseam is 35-35.5" doing it by myself so the 200mm drop should be fine. If it doesn't work I'll make someone a hell of a deal on a brand new 9.8 fall line!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    If it doesn't work I'll make someone a hell of a deal on a brand new 9.8 fall line!
    If the 9.8 doesn't work at 200mm you can reduce the height to 175mm or something else that works for you. No need to sell it.

...from 9.8's FAQ

DO YOU OFFER CUSTOM STROKES?

Absolutely! Any post can have the stroke reduced by addition of our spacers (available on our parts page in a range of lengths) . These spacers can be installed by the factory or can be purchased separately and installed by the user (brake release tool required).

Note: spacers reduce the overall length of the post and stroke by the same amount.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If the 9.8 doesn't work at 200mm you can reduce the height to 175mm or something else that works for you. No need to sell it.

...from 9.8's FAQ
    That's right! Thanks Vicb

mtbr member

When I bought the Endo I wasn't sure where it would fit in my fleet of bikes. Now a few months of riding later I'm selling my other two FS bikes and keeping the Endo. I'm climbing tech features I never dared before and I am going up and down trails at warp speed. So all in all I'd call it a success.

I do want a second bike because I think only having one mountain bike is...well...wrong! I'm going to score a 29er of some sort. It won't be a Knolly because there is no Knolly 29er to buy and it sounds like that's something we won't see for a good long while. At the moment the Evil bikes are likely winners, but I'm not making any final decisions until I actually have sold my other bikes and have the $$ in hand.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice! The picture makes your tires look pretty big. What size are they?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast