Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Perpetual Hack

New Flats... Spike, Podium, Crampon-ulltimate, or ?

Looking to get a new pair of flat pedals for a DH project.

Currently have Spikes on my Delirium and they are doing very well. I quite like them.

So, the question is keep to the same or look at something else.
    Shoe size is 12, so I do like something with a bigger platform, and I do like thin.

Spank Spike - nice platform size, great grip, you can reposition your foot without full removal - ver 2 squeaks a bit. -ver 3 fixes that.

Point-1 Podium - pretty much the gold standard - however pricey and concerns about the little end bearing.

Crampon-Ultimate - convex instead of concave? - also maybe a bit too much grip from the very long pins?

Thoughts?

michael
    Last edited by mykel; 03-20-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go for the Twenty6 predators, you won't be disappointed

mtbr member
    I have three pairs of the Crampons. Two of the Ultimates and one of the older styles. They are awesome pedals. With the Ultimates there are enough pin placement options that you really can custom tune the grip. and CS a Canfield is awesome if you ever need it.

I say get the Ultimates.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I have Crampon Ultimates on all 3 of my bikes, I really like them. Grip well, large platform, light, etc. I really have no complaints.

I have one set from the first ones released, which have slightly shorter pins than the ones released later. You might be able to call Canfield and see if they have any of those pins to send you.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I love the Crampon Ultimates. I've been commuting on a set for a few months now, no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am happily on spikes but would not hesitate to grab a pair of crampons. Knolly and Canfield are 2 of my favorite companies.

Point one's look nice but damn they are pricey.

The pins on the twenty6 predator's look like a hospital trip to get stitches if you slip a pedal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post

Point-1 Podium - pretty much the gold standard - however pricey and concerns about the little end bearing
    They would be, if the little bearing wouldn't explode so quickly. While I do like my Podiums from last season, it was time to try something new this year, something that won't require a rebuild after 4 months of riding, plus they sure are pricey like you said. And Point1's customer service can also be tricky trying to get a hold of and getting a response. But when you do, they are awesome in helping you out with the product. I'm still on the fence about selling my brand new pair that I have sitting here as a back up.

As for the Ultimates, with a size 12, the platform will be on the smaller side for you. Plus having owned a pair of HT AEO1 EVO, I'm not sold on the concept of the super small bearing that they Crampon Ultimate uses as well near the end of the axle. I sold my HT before any long usage but people have reported it goes south pretty quick, lots of play. The Crampon Ultimate looks no different from that end, although Canfield said it's a different type of bearing underneath that metal cap. But like I said, the HT platform size was small, similar to the Ultimate.

But I would give the DMR Vault pedal a look, half the price of the Podiums, but oh my, what a difference in platform size. Here are my first impressions of them from the Platform Pedal Shootout thread:

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    So my DMR Vaults came in yesterday from wiggle.co.uk and first impressions are everything right? These pedals look so good in person, much nicer overall finish than my raw Podiums. I opted for the silver finish to hide rock strikes and scratches just like my raw Podiums did (and I needed a raw/silver finish to complement my color scheme on the Honzo). And it was hard to pass on the other 9 brilliant color options available, but luckily there's something for everyone and was really tempted by the magenta and green apple to be honest.

What stands out the most from initial observations is how much more room I'll have for my size 11.5 feet with these. The platform is bigger in every aspect, and no longer the bearing bulge like the Podiums had near the end which I have gotten used to by now. Second shocker came with how the DMR Vaults concave in the middle, it's the first flat pedal that I've own that really has this (and I've owned most of the key players- HT AN01 series, Kona Wah Wah, HT AE01 EVO, Forte Convert (another HT Nano copy), Point1 Podiums). None of the online pictures really depicts this, it's awesome in person. And zero drag. While these do not spin freely, definitely not as stiff to spin like the Podiums. And while the Vaults are 17mm thin, they don't look much thicker than the 11mm Podiums, I doubt I'll see any difference on the trail in this regard. Lastly threw the pedals on the scale, the Podium with extra long steel pins was 179g, the Vault pedal tipped in at 212g per pedal.

I'll update more once I get some trail time with these pedals, but super stoked so far with the decision. Anyone looking for Podiums?

beater

The Vaults look like really sweet pedals, but they have one feature that would keep me from considering them- it looks like the pins screw in from the bottom of the pedal and have to be backed out the same way in order to remove/change them. If you bend one, it's Dremel time. I can't quite make out how thick the pins are or how likely that is, but it's something I look at.

Rock strikes are a fact of life for me here. I had the twenty6 Rallye pedals, and got tired of dealing with the bent pins. The newer generation twenty6 pedals, Prerunners and Predators, don't have that problem since you back the pins in from the bottom, but I go through a set of pins in roughly a year and a half. The Crampon Ultimates have hit the happy spot for me. The pins can be advanced from the bottom to remove, but I've never bent one. They've proved pretty strong, I haven't bent or lost a pin, they're super thin and they also come in a wide range of colors.

I like the really wide platform of the Predators, but I've never felt the Ultimates were too small for me. Size 12 Impacts, for reference. They aren't as grippy as the Predators, but they're grippy enough. I think the convex works, btw, with the way your foot flexes over the pedal. It also allows for thinner edges.

That's the summary of my experience, anyway.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    I have used all 3 - Podiums, Twenty6, and Crampon Ultimates...

I like the Podiums the best as they provide grip and foot adjustment pivot. I replace the bearings - simple and easy may be around 9 months - depends on use. These pedals just work well.

Twenty6 Pedals - I wouldn't get the pedals with the visible axle nub. I broke Twenty6 pedal on a big drop, sent me flying and luckily the numb didn't go through my leg. I have the twenty6 pedals without the visible axle nub and I like them a lot and tend to use them for XCing/AMing.

Camprons - nice design, etc, but found my feet slip occasionally with them. I had to adjust a little with respect to this, where as with the Podiums and Twenty6 - never an issue.

In the end, can't go wrong, but based on experience I prefer the Podiums.
    Last edited by Dude!; 03-20-2013 at 01:49 PM.

si vis pacem...
    Have you tried HT pedals? Check out the AE03. Tons of grip, pins that thread from the back of the pedal, and super thin. (11mm)

HT AE03 Pedal review

I've been running a pair of AE01s since last season and have had no issues at all - the AE03's are on this year's list of planned upgrades.

Perpetual Hack
    Looks like the Crampon-Ultimates may be an issue.
    Raw frame - so want to go with black or grey.
    No grey colour.
    Black not due until May, so looking mid May at the earliest to get a pair up to Kanukistan.

The Vaults were on teh list, but they are a bit thicker at 17mm.
    I really like the feeling of the 12mm Spikes over the 17mm pedals I have in the parts box.

Anybody know the platform size of the Point 1's

Spikes are 100 x 90 (if memory serves)
    Ultimates are 106x106
    Valuts are 115 x 115

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

beater

Looks like the Crampon-Ultimates may be an issue.
    Raw frame - so want to go with black or grey.
    No grey colour.
    Black not due until May, so looking mid May at the earliest to get a pair up to Kanukistan.
    According to their FB, the mag Ultimates are available now, in both black and grey. $50 more, though.

Perpetual Hack
    Ya, a bit too much $, and I've not had the best luck with Magnesium in the past....

thanks thou.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

beater

I remember someone from Canfield mentioning mag pedals or pins and posting about how cool it will be to see sparks from rock strikes. But having raced a fire out of a drainage last summer I'm already paranoid enough about fire seasons...

$150 is my top end, too. Spanks also get a lot of good word of mouth around here, btw. I don't think you'll go too wrong with anything you choose out of the ones you're considering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

or Chromag Scarab

Would you consider trying something new like the Chromag Scarab pedals. I've been interested in trying a pair, think they'll retail for 150$ when they come out which is any day now.

Chromag Bikes - Scarab

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How about these Products Pedals Brendog DMR Bikes. You can buy different types of pins that scew in from the top.

Perpetual Hack
    Anybody seen the Hope F20?

Claimed weight 390gm
    size is 100x100 or 110x100
    Thickness is ?

They look a bit on the thicker side - 15-17mm??? but looks can be deceiving.

Brendogs are branded Vaults.
    Will look up the Scarab...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

beater
    I'm a sucker for Chromag, and I'm interested in hearing more about the Scarabs myself. The Hope pedals looked cool when they showed them as prototypes a year or so ago, but I think the pedal market has kind of moved past them in the meantime. Like you wondered, they look a bit thick to me as well.

mtbr member

Anybody know the platform size of the Point 1's

Spikes are 100 x 90 (if memory serves)
    Ultimates are 106x106
    Valuts are 115 x 115

michael
    100 x 100mm according to their website.

And laying the Vaults on top of them, I'm still shocked at how much foot real estate I've gained.

And while evasive brings out a good point about the pins, I would really have to live in rock country for me to consider this an issue. The pins are installed the same way on the Podiums.

Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    How about these Products Pedals Brendog DMR Bikes. You can buy different types of pins that scew in from the top.
    Exact same pedal as the DMR Vault, but blacked out color scheme, and slightly different pins. As for pedal body and thickness, nothing has changed from your regular DMR Vault which can be purchased quite cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Camprons - nice design, etc, but found my feet slip occasionally with them. I had to adjust a little with respect to this, where as with the Podiums and Twenty6 - never an issue.
    How in the hell do you slip a foot on Crampons? Even wearing Chaco sandals in the rain I haven't has an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post

Exact same pedal as the DMR Vault, but blacked out color scheme, and slightly different pins. As for pedal body and thickness, nothing has changed from your regular DMR Vault which can be purchased quite cheaper.
    Yeh but they look cool. As for the pins they can be screwed in either way round , also different pin designs available to fit the Vaults.

mtbr member
    I ordered the new SAINT to go with the Podium. They are backordered due in soon. I will let you know what I find. But if they are half as good as my trusty Shimano DX, I will be happy.

I like my Podiums for the Chilcotin. However, they do not fit the SIXC crank boots, and requires cutting material out of the rubber boots. Just FYI.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

Perpetual Hack
    Ended up going with the Spikes again.
    Well, actually my wife made the decision.
    Had mentioned that I was leaning toward the Spike, as I have a pair and am happy with them.
    So, she went and ordered them.
    Then Eurospek offered me his old raw Podiums with brand-new bearings shipped for a good price.

Why do the timing gods like to play so?

Anyway...

Thank-you all for the input.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

RideDirt
    The E-thirteen pedals are great , nice and wide , great pin placement , not too heavy really , very adjustable , and glide off of rocks. Used them all last year during my DH season .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For what it's worth I got a pair of straitlines and have been happy with them. Perhaps a little thicker than other pedals but they are very grippy and bombproof

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast