mtbr member

New Endorphin sizing

Im right in between small and medium frame sizes according to Knolly's sizing chart. I am 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I am setting this up to be the lightest (probably about 24-25 lbs), most comfortable long distance XC/bikepacking bike possible. If you were my size, for overall multi-day comfort, while retaining an easy to maneuver, slightly aggressive feel, would you go with the small or medium frame on the new Endorphin? Small frame would be great for easily shaving off a few more ounces of weight, but I'd love a slightly bigger frame bag that I could fit in the medium's middle triangle for bike-packing, so I am torn. I dont have easy access to try one out, and I'd probably be able to make either frame size work, but if anyone is near my size and has an opinion I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Couloirman; 01-09-2013 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Do you have long or short arms?

What size stem are you planning and bar width?

Do like smaller bikes or bigger bikes?

I am 5' 8" with 30" in seam, with longer arms. I am riding a medium with a 50mm stem and 30 inch bars. I am considering a 40mm stem owing to the longish top tube for my size. If you go narrower bars, this could work for you. But yeah, I think you are right on the cusp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    go with the medium....i am 5'6' with a longer torso than legs. 30 inch inseam. i got a small frame based on my last endorphin, and now wish i had gone medium... you may have to go with a shorter stem, but i think you'll be happier with a medium. the frame triangle is quite small for a frame pack, so you really should look at a bob. i have been riding in the chilcotin for the last 10-15 years on the same bob and i love it. the extra weight of packs, on your bike or back are more taxing over long trips. you can rip, and bob will follow. it will get air as its name implies but will follow you anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am 5'7 with a 30" inseam. My Endorphin is an 09 so I'm not sure how the sizing differs specifically but I am on a medium (23.5 TT). I would suggest a medium as well due to being able to run a shorter stem, which should actually result in a stable yet playful bike compared to the small. Last year I ran a 75mm stem (limited by my fork) which was way too long, gonna drop down to 45 or 40 though this year.

Dude!, do you have any insight as to stem length on a medium for guys our size. Not sure where I want to go in the spectrum from 35-50mm.

biking is fun
    My GF is thinking of getting one and she is 5'6" with a 32" inseam. Would a medium with a short stem work for her?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    My GF is thinking of getting one and she is 5'6" with a 32" inseam. Would a medium with a short stem work for her?
    It's borderline. I have an older small endo, and a new medium. The small was almost perfect for me at 5'8 30" inseam but I kept hitting my legs against the handlebar even with a medium-long stem. I'd probably recommend a small for her but with that inseam she might be ok on the medium. Probably could make either work like I did if there is a compelling reason to go medium (like you found one super cheap).

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    At 5'6", I would do a small frame. Remember, our seattubes are milled all the way down so you can run a long(410) post to mitigate any risk of over-leveraging the frame, AND still enjoy full post dropititude, assuming you don't run a dropper post. Your GF sounds kinda "leggy", so I'd be concerned about upper body reach to the bars on a medium frame.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes