Thread: New DBAir XV

mtbr member

New DBAir XV

Seems like it might be a good fit for the chili, for those of you still un-Avy'd.

Cane Creek DBAir Suspension Features

Edit: As it turns out, Sir Buckley was well aware of this and has some thoughts:

Thirdly: Cane Creek is working on an even higher volume external air can. The DB-air is already arguably the most linear air shock on the market: this larger air can is in response to some frame designs having less than idea shock progression and hence needing even more linearity. Given the idealized shock progression rate of Knolly frame due to the four by 4 linkage design, our frames do not need this larger air can to function properly.
    Still, makes you wonder if the difference would be noticable and if it made positive or negative improvement

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Now that I have the "HiFlow" can installed on my DBA, I think that it would not be an improvement over how my bike is now running.
    Last edited by material guy; 02-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Just to reply to this thread

Please remember that there are two things to consider with the CCDB-Air shocks:

POTENTIAL Flow issues on earlier models which have now been corrected by Cane Creek on all currently shipping shocks. IF your shock has this issue, then contact Knolly or Cane Creek directly for warranty servicing. I think we have made most customers who need to be notified aware of this (again POTENTIAL) issue aware.

HV air can: NOT REQUIRED to achieve full performance on any Knolly products, but will not hurt your product performance wise either (i.e. if you're purchasing the shock aftermarket). However, you MAY want to use a larger internal volume spacer on HV body shocks to achieve desired "ramp up" - or not. This will be a personal choice...

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    Now that I have the "HV" can installed on my DBA, I think that it would not be an improvement over how my bike is now running.
    Did you mean high Flow Sleeve? I had my shock replaced (warranty issue) and was told they were shipping with HF Sleeves.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    What is the recommended "can" and "volume spacer" for the Delirium? Most of the DB air details are related to the Chilcotin, which differ for the Delirium. Now that the growing pains with the DB air shock are done, my interest is piqued to try one out.

I also saw that the Specialized DB Airs come with a little toggle on the LSC for a quick adjustment for climbing assistance.

mtbr member
    For those who care: Preorder here

Cane Creek XV air can 200x57mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    Now that I have the "HV" can installed on my DBA, I think that it would not be an improvement over how my bike is now running.
    Yea, im wondering the same thing as Cal. This canister hasn't been released yet. The fuss before was not the canister, but the sleeve (the flow issues mentioned by Sir Buckley).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    What is the recommended "can" and "volume spacer" for the Delirium? Most of the DB air details are related to the Chilcotin, which differ for the Delirium. Now that the growing pains with the DB air shock are done, my interest is piqued to try one out.

I also saw that the Specialized DB Airs come with a little toggle on the LSC for a quick adjustment for climbing assistance.
    I've been running a db air on my delirium since last july and had the high flow can mod done a month or so ago, you definitly won't want a volume spacer.
    I was initially struggling to get full travel and was running about 40% sag to overcome this, but it still felt really good, I'd actually go as far to say it felt as good as the ccdb coil it replaced even with the travel issue thing. Now with the HF mod it's absolutely awesome, I'm using approx 30% sag and getting better performance AND getting full travel.
    I originally used a similar base tune to the chilcotin and it worked suprisingly well, needed a bit of tweaking but now i'm more than happy with it.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Changed my post, I meant the hi flow can.

mtbr member
    Thanks Travo!!!!

Can you please provide more a comparison between the CCDB and the "working" DB air?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I'm confused. Is the XV DB air different than a DB air with the high flow can? Mine is on the way back from warranty service right now and I asked for the higher volume can as it sounded like I could expect to run a bit less sag but still get great performance and full travel. At this point I have no clue what I'm getting back. I think it's going to be here tomorrow so I guess we'll see!
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I'm confused. Is the XV DB air different than a DB air with the high flow can? Mine is on the way back from warranty service right now and I asked for the higher volume can as it sounded like I could expect to run a bit less sag but still get great performance and full travel. At this point I have no clue what I'm getting back. I think it's going to be here tomorrow so I guess we'll see!
    Hey catch22 - please see my post here:

Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread

You should be getting the high flow sleeve installed in your shock.

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Thanks Travo!!!!

Can you please provide more a comparison between the CCDB and the "working" DB air?
    No problem Dude.

To be honest I prefer the air to the coil on the Delirium, which has suprised me as I used to think air shocks were for weight weenie xc riders, I definitly didn't expect it to perform as well as it does.

The bike feels more lively, this could be due to me being inbetween spring weights on the coil, where as with the air shock I can set whatever 'spring weight' I want.

The air shocks definitly as plush as the coil but obvoiusly with a bit less weight and I found it to be easier to set up, again probably due to the air pressure factor.

I've ridden all the same gaps, drops and trails and I've not once wished I had the coil back on there.
    I've found if I loose a bit of pressure it's easy to get that super plush DH feel and adding a bit makes the rare XC ride a lot easier.

I can't really comment on how it handles heat from serious DH runs as I've not yet done any on it (alps type stuff), but it's handled everything I've ridden on it so far with no problems at all.

mtbr member
    Thanks man! Great info....upgradeitus just kicked in

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hey catch22 - please see my post here:

Chilcotin: The inevitable DB-air setup thread
    You should be getting the high flow sleeve installed in your shock.

Cheers!
    Thanks Noel! Shock came back today and it is indeed the high volume sleeve(outer can is the same as before). Looking forward to getting back out on this thing if our snow ever melts! I'm swapping the Lyrik Uturn internals to 170 coil and making a bunch of drivetrain changes as well while I wait for warmer temps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Thanks Noel! Shock came back today and it is indeed the high volume sleeve(outer can is the same as before). Looking forward to getting back out on this thing if our snow ever melts! I'm swapping the Lyrik Uturn internals to 170 coil and making a bunch of drivetrain changes as well while I wait for warmer temps.
    Awesome - you should see noted (i.e. improved) performance of this shock immediately.

And, just to make sure that everyone is NOT confused:

• It's high FLOW sleeve and,
    • high VOLUME air can

Let me know how the shock is functioning once you have a few rides on it - cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Awesome - you should see noted (i.e. improved) performance of this shock immediately.

And, just to make sure that everyone is NOT confused:

• It's high FLOW sleeve and,
    • high VOLUME air can

Let me know how the shock is functioning once you have a few rides on it - cheers!
    I'll be thrilled if it's even better, it was riding fine as it was, the slow leak was the only sign of a problem that I was seeing. I assume you got the one email where our tech explained what was going on with it? I'll let you know whenever I have a chance to get out on it, at the rate we're going with weather it will likely be with you down in Fruita for festival weekend!

Thanks!