Results 1 to 77 of 77
  1. #1
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,447

    New Brain Bucket

    Last weekend I had an "incident" where my head was greeted by some nasty granite. Although my helmet showed little signs of damage, I am a believer in the one and done philosophy. My previous helmet was a Specialized Vice which is a nice helmet, very well ventilated, and well constructed. The helmet was a bit strange on my head as it sat on top of it, rather than on it. So I began the search for a new helmet. The 2 helmets I really liked were the POC (pronounced Pock, not P-O-C) Trabec and the Giro Feature.

    There are no shops in town that carry the POC, but I was able to try on a Feature. The Feature fit well, but the construction looked a bit cheap. It falls in the mid range of the Giro line, so cutting some corners is expected. After reading many reviews, it seems that the helmet is a bit warm, a bit of an issue here in the Valley of the Sun.

    I searched around for details on the POC, and found very few complaints, and found that Competitive Cyclist has them for $90 with free shipping. So I went for it. I only have fitted it here at the house, no ride time, but the helmet fits well. It is the first helmet that I have owned that feels like it encompasses my head. It is comfortable, very well constructed (probably the best I have seen in a bicycle helmet), and is not nearly as bulky as I thought. It is a thicker helmet, much like the Fox Flux. Another great feature for me is that my glasses fit well. With my Specialized, I would get sore spots from my glasses. Not sure about venting yet, but I will learn quickly.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/8168354784/" title="IMG_4615 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8168354784_65c18a37fa_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_4615"></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/8168325729/" title="IMG_4616 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7113/8168325729_7be3a3e627_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_4616"></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/8168325607/" title="IMG_4617 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8347/8168325607_6f44cfcb7e_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_4617"></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tisser/8168326041/" title="IMG_4618 by tiSS'er, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/8168326041_7fc62c4061_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="IMG_4618"></a>
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,592
    I bought one in late summer, and I've noticed all the same great things. I'm still loving mine, hope yours works out.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  3. #3
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147
    Not sure if you have the day glow yellow chilli but it looks like you now need one.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bionicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    517
    Jealous!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,042
    I have had my POC for about four rides now. The best fitting helmet I have ever had, well maybe second. I have an Urge Down-O-Matic and that is a pretty sweet fit.

    The POC isn't quite as yellow as the Chil, but it's close!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    652
    Been running one for 6 months or so now. If you hop onto a road to get the speed up you can really feel the vents working.

  7. #7
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    I would highly recommend against any Lazer brand helmet that adjusts fit with a wire around your head. I had an "incident" and the wire cut my forehead. (The nose was due to a soft kiss from mother earth.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rdhfreethought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,538
    I like my trabec and my POC DH lid. I am a bit of a fanboy now. I have 2 chest protectors, a knee/shin, a knee, and elbows. All from POC. The main problem was the stitching came unraveled (I resewed it) and the fabric is finally coming apart. The design of the VPD 2.0 stuff is much better than before, and I still think the best money can buy.

    Speaking of armor, I am still debating what to bring. I'll probably wear my spine protector and knees. I dont think ill be too hot.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    blimey $90 that's cheaper than in Europe, Good buy and great colour.

  10. #10
    Huh?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    828
    I bought a trabec race this past spring. After using Giro exclusively for years the POC fits better and has equal if not better ventilation. I've been very happy with mine.

  11. #11
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I have had my POC for about four rides now. The best fitting helmet I have ever had, well maybe second. I have an Urge Down-O-Matic and that is a pretty sweet fit.

    The POC isn't quite as yellow as the Chil, but it's close!
    I forgot to mention that the helmet fits me well. It is the first helmet I have had in a long time that I don't have to dial the headlock device down really tight to secure the helmet. Even with little or no pressure on the headlock, the helmet doesn't move. Seems like this helmet should stay in place well when sliding down the trail.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  12. #12
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post

    Speaking of armor, I am still debating what to bring. I'll probably wear my spine protector and knees. I dont think ill be too hot.
    I would think knees and elbows (if you have them) will be sufficient. There isn't any freeride like moves and we will be doing lots of climbing/pedaling. Most DH's we have are not balls out, they are slower, chunky, pick a line type trails. Your call.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bionicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    517
    I am enjoying my 661 Recon at the moment - 661 makes quality gear IMHO

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,097
    On CHAINLOVE right now for $75+ship
    Chainlove.com: POC Trabec Helmet - $74.99 - 46% off

    I'll say I've ordered and returned one of these. I had it side by side with my Fox Flux and just prefered the venting and look of the Fox. They both fit very well, with the POC being a bit more bulbous and with less openness in the vents. The fit is very similar with these two helmets.

  15. #15
    Yebo Numzaan
    Reputation: Muttonchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    780
    Ha brilliant timing. I saw the chainlove deal with a minute remaining and snagged one. I recently ordered a Fox Flux which i dig...but have always wanted my brain to be a little bit more encased in the helmet for more FR stuff.
    I support EMBA

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I forgot to mention that the helmet fits me well. It is the first helmet I have had in a long time that I don't have to dial the headlock device down really tight to secure the helmet. Even with little or no pressure on the headlock, the helmet doesn't move. Seems like this helmet should stay in place well when sliding down the trail.
    This is the greatest feature of the helmet imo, it feels like you don't even need to buckle the chin strap to keep the helmet on. I barely even notice it too, which is surprising considering its size.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    On CHAINLOVE right now for $75+ship
    Chainlove.com: POC Trabec Helmet - $74.99 - 46% off

    .
    Dang, just missed it.

    I was also looking at the same two helmets before my BC trip and ended up going with the Feature mostly based on price. I picked up the Feature from Backcountry.com for under $40 and couldn't find anyone that had the POC for under $125. Without the benefit of being able to try them first, I went with the Feature.

    As tiSS'er says, it fits well, but looks, feels a bit cheap. I also think it's ugly as sin. Good thing I can't see it when I'm riding.... although even the profile I see in my shadow looks dorky so I may have to keep watching for the POC on sale.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rscecil007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,592
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    This is the greatest feature of the helmet imo, it feels like you don't even need to buckle the chin strap to keep the helmet on. I barely even notice it too, which is surprising considering its size.

    I too have noticed this, just a really good snug fit, unlike my old Giro Hex it replaced. I think the venting is fine as well, mine is black, and I rode is some fairly hot temps this summer in it, and didn't ever feel my head getting overly hot.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,145
    Yeah, that's a good one. I've had mine for a season and it's holding up strong. Fits my helmet and GP mount very nicely as well.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    A few riding buddies have the Trabec and are impressed. I just got an Urge Enduromatic which I really like. Lighter than my old Xen, more coverage and vents better than it looks like it should.

  21. #21
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Ha brilliant timing. I saw the chainlove deal with a minute remaining and snagged one. I recently ordered a Fox Flux which i dig...but have always wanted my brain to be a little bit more encased in the helmet for more FR stuff.
    I read a review that said the POC Trabec was hot at low speeds (and I overheat at 80 degrees), so I went for the Fox Flux. tiSS'er, his love of grueling uphills, and the AZ heat will be the ultimate test of the Trabec; and I'm looking forward to an update when the temperature starts to climb.

    I really like the Fox Flux for XC/light-AM, but after reading this: Crash Report on Urge Archi Enduro Helmet (Warning: GORE GALORE!) I have started wearing a solid, full-face helmet for anything close to FR or DH.

    My full-face is the POC Cortex DH MIPS. It is very expensive but it's not a one-and-done helmet. It is is quite comfortable and not as hot as my old Giro. The one problem: glasses are pushed forward off my head, so I have to wear goggles or nothing.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  22. #22
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    879
    Oh my! I don't think we can ride together anymore

  23. #23
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Oh my! I don't think we can ride together anymore
    Wait 'til you see my new socks!
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  24. #24
    What the ----?
    Reputation: Rich from CT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    205
    Nice lid! I love my Cortex DH, (@ TSC, glasses push forward on my head also) Dig the Shrek green.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Wait 'til you see my new socks!
    don't tell me you got the WTFs.

    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    I would highly recommend against any Lazer brand helmet that adjusts fit with a wire around your head. I had an "incident" and the wire cut my forehead. (The nose was due to a soft kiss from mother earth.)
    That is pretty gnarly man.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Dang, just missed it.

    I was also looking at the same two helmets before my BC trip and ended up going with the Feature mostly based on price. I picked up the Feature from Backcountry.com for under $40 and couldn't find anyone that had the POC for under $125. Without the benefit of being able to try them first, I went with the Feature.

    As tiSS'er says, it fits well, but looks, feels a bit cheap. I also think it's ugly as sin. Good thing I can't see it when I'm riding.... although even the profile I see in my shadow looks dorky so I may have to keep watching for the POC on sale.
    I have the FEATURE and actually love everything about it....Just took a nasty backwards header and was saved. I did just purchese POC Bone elbow pads that are by far the best I've ever tried. They just don't move. That's what all the reviews were saying and that was my most important criteria. Has anyone tried POC Chest/shoulder protectors yet?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    I would highly recommend against any Lazer brand helmet that adjusts fit with a wire around your head. I had an "incident" and the wire cut my forehead. (The nose was due to a soft kiss from mother earth.)
    what caused the crazy eyes?

  29. #29
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Dang, just missed it.

    I was also looking at the same two helmets before my BC trip and ended up going with the Feature mostly based on price. I picked up the Feature from Backcountry.com for under $40 and couldn't find anyone that had the POC for under $125. Without the benefit of being able to try them first, I went with the Feature.

    As tiSS'er says, it fits well, but looks, feels a bit cheap. I also think it's ugly as sin. Good thing I can't see it when I'm riding.... although even the profile I see in my shadow looks dorky so I may have to keep watching for the POC on sale.
    That's funny cause I thought that the Feature was cheap looking and ugly as my morning # 2.
    I like my POC.

  30. #30
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    what caused the crazy eyes?
    "crazy eyes"? What are you saying; that's my sexy, "come hither" look for the ladies.

    J/K... I can't take a serious-looking photo when personal injury is involved. I'm sort-of a reverse-drama-queen.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  31. #31
    Roll on Spring Time!
    Reputation: juan pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,547
    Maybe you guys can help me out with some info since most of the products I have been looking at are here. I recently replaced my done for open face and ended up choosing a Giro Xar. This seemed like a safe bet since Giro seem to make big helmets for my big dome. I am really not that happy with the fit as it seems to sit right on top of my head and doesnt give me that secure feeling I really like. My old Protec helmet wasnt supper comfy but at least felt like it was secure and on my head. I also like as much coverage as possible and would be happy to ride in my jump helmet execept it is hot during summer.
    What put me off the Urge and POC helmets were the reviews of the helmets being on the small size.
    Have you guys with big heads, if there are any, found this to be the case?
    Does the Fox give a nice on the head feel?
    I have also being haveing a bad year for hitting the dirt and my right elbow has been sticthed up a few times and seen repeated skin loss. My TLD pads fit really well and dont slip while riding but do slide when hitting the dirt resulting in skin exposure. I generaly end up with cuts/grazes even when wearing my pads. I have till now felt they have saved my bones and of course more severe skin injury but I also feel like I just cant afford to keep taking skin off the same place, I always go down on the right side. Have any of you gone down with POC pads and found they have stayed in place? Not just while riding.
    I dont have any shops stocking any of these products so I can test fit. Only online purchasing which sucks to trial and error.
    I just want to ride.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,042
    To Juan:
    I have a big dome. The POC I bought is a XL/XXL, 59-62cm. The POC fits way better than the Fox Flux it replaced. It does not sit on top of my head, and the ratchet holds my melon nicely.
    I have the POC knee and elbow pads and love them. I have had some real diggers and the pads have stayed in place unlike my previous 661s. If you are ordering online go by the sizing chart and err on the small side. All pads stretch and you will prefer the smaller size. Go POC and you will not regret it.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  33. #33
    Roll on Spring Time!
    Reputation: juan pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,547
    yes Calhoun. thats good to know. I have no issue investing in protection. I have been happy with my 661 KS knee pads but they break down to0 easily, they are really comfy and dont slip. finding good quality, durable and effective protection is hard and not access to test fit is crap.
    I just want to ride.

  34. #34
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147
    Juan

    The POC 2.0 pads are the ones to get, they fit better and stay in place better than the original.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    That's funny cause I thought that the Feature was cheap looking and ugly as my morning # 2.
    I like my POC.
    Ha ha. I let my vanity and sense of self-preservation get the best of me. I ordered the POC last night. I ordered it from CC for $99 free shipping. I figured by time the chainlove deal came around again they'd be pretty well picked over for sizes and colors. Plus by time you add shipping the price is close.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  36. #36
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Sounds like a Knolly-POCs epidemic is breaking out.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    I have the FEATURE and actually love everything about it....Just took a nasty backwards header and was saved. I did just purchese POC Bone elbow pads that are by far the best I've ever tried. They just don't move. That's what all the reviews were saying and that was my most important criteria. Has anyone tried POC Chest/shoulder protectors yet?
    That's good to know. I've about given up on elbow protection because they always end up down around my wrists anyway.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  38. #38
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    The 661 KS , i loved those but they ended up falling apart and after some long hot rides they started sliding down slowly .

    I recently picked up some POC VPD 2.0 Long Knee pads ( went w/ large since my knee cap was in that sizing but my calf was a Medium ) and these things fit nice . I had ordered the Mediums since i thought i might be able to get away with that but i couldnt get them all the way up to my legs for the life of me, they were way super tight .The padding is pretty cool since they mold around your leg once warm and harden with a quick impact. I will be investing in some elbow pads from POC as well probably .

    I have the Fox Launch Knee/Shin and Elbow pads which have saved me on the super chunky rocky descents and the super sketchy DH trails, but too hot and stiff for AM riding.

    LOL i know this has NOTHING to do with the helmet but figured i would shed some light as well.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ha ha. I let my vanity and sense of self-preservation get the best of me. I ordered the POC last night. I ordered it from CC for $99 free shipping. I figured by time the chainlove deal came around again they'd be pretty well picked over for sizes and colors. Plus by time you add shipping the price is close.
    thought chainlove shipping was free in the usa

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    652
    KRob Im sure Summit Sports had some POC lids on sale while you were up in Whis. But looks like you got one anyway for most likely cheaper.

    Ive got the VPD Knees, Elbows, and Ankle Guards as well. Like the FFs but might go TLD D3 instead

  41. #41
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    KRob Im sure Summit Sports had some POC lids on sale while you were up in Whis. But looks like you got one anyway for most likely cheaper.

    Ive got the VPD Knees, Elbows, and Ankle Guards as well. Like the FFs but might go TLD D3 instead
    Im picking one up soon , D3 Helmet Pinstripe CF Black. If you need a hook up on one , PM me Can get you a sweet deal on it.

  42. #42
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    thought chainlove shipping was free in the usa
    Nope. Their business model is to make most of their profits off their S&H fees; that's why you can only get one thing on an order.

    BTW, check out DepartmentOfGoods.com if you want to see what's in inventory and potentially coming up on Chainlove, Huck'nRoll, & Steep'nCheap.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  43. #43
    Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Reputation: greasemeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    770
    Huck n Roll go bye bye, shame I always used them
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

  44. #44
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,920
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    thought chainlove shipping was free in the usa
    It's been a year since I've bought from Chainlove (or Steep and Cheap; yay- cured), but in my experience none of the Backcountry deal-at-a-time sites offer free shipping.

  45. #45
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemeat View Post
    Huck n Roll go bye bye, shame I always used them
    The name has changed but the ownership is still the same: BackCountry.com

    competitivecyclist.com
    hucknroll.com
    steepandcheap.com
    chainlove.com
    departmentofgoods.com

    Good advice: if you can get the same item through BackCountry.com for a similar price then you might want to consider using BackCountry because it offers a warranty in addition to the manufacturers, which their "affiliate" sites do not.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SOCAL_STINKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Nope. Their business model is to make most of their profits off their S&H fees; that's why you can only get one thing on an order.

    BTW, check out DepartmentOfGoods.com if you want to see what's in inventory and potentially coming up on Chainlove, Huck'nRoll, & Steep'nCheap.

    They have changed this. You can hold your order for a week and add items thoughout that time, each new item ships for 99 cents.

  47. #47
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL_STINKY View Post
    They have changed this. You can hold your order for a week and add items thoughout that time, each new item ships for 99 cents.
    I did not know this. I haven't bought anything for a while from the BC affiliate sites. Thanks for the info.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  48. #48
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,920
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL_STINKY View Post
    They have changed this. You can hold your order for a week and add items thoughout that time, each new item ships for 99 cents.
    Yeah, it really enables serial abuse...

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    53
    Good to see all the Knolly/POC love!

    I've had a POC trabec race helmet (bright orange/white colour) for over a year and it's the best helmet I've ever owned. My head feels like the helmet is sitting nicely in place, rather than sitting on top. I'd previously worn giro's but this feels much better.

    Rare as hen's teeth in Australia (I got mine from the US), I've only ever seen one other POC trabec helmet on the trails... but then again I've never seen a Knolly

    I'm becoming a bit of a POC fanboi... just got a t-shirt that tells you NOT to wash it everyday! I commuted to work for a whole week in it (150km in total) and the t-shirt was only just starting to smell... crazy!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    Just got my POC Trabec. Blue/light blue size M/L. I like the way it fits and looks but having second thoughts about the color. I wanted something other than black this time. I guess I'll get used to it.

    The sizing is true but I failed to look at what M/L size actually is: 55-58cm. My noggin is about 59cm so its a bit snug but fits OK with the adjustment band dialed out most of the way. However it won't fit with my headband and skull cap on that I wear for winter riding so haven't had a chance to wear it on a ride yet.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Just got my POC Trabec. Blue/light blue size M/L. I like the way it fits and looks but having second thoughts about the color. I wanted something other than black this time. I guess I'll get used to it.

    The sizing is true but I failed to look at what M/L size actually is: 55-58cm. My noggin is about 59cm so its a bit snug but fits OK with the adjustment band dialed out most of the way. However it won't fit with my head/band and skull cap on that I wear for winter riding so haven't had a chance to wear it on tha ride yet.
    That's how I ended up with the XL/XXL

    I wish there was a 'tweener size for this helmet. Although I love the fit, without the adjustment band dialed pretty far in, my head would swim.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    That's how I ended up with the XL/XXL

    I wish there was a 'tweener size for this helmet. Although I love the fit, without the adjustment band dialed pretty far in, my head would swim.
    Yeah, I don't think I would've liked the XL/XXL if I had to cinch it down all the way to keep it snug on my head so I'm OK with it being on the edge of too small (other than there not being enough extra room for headbands and/or skull caps).

    I bought a Large Giro Xen a few years ago that was like that and I ended up selling it.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-14-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    So I took the Trabec out for a spin the other day. First thing I notice is that it is bulbous. This looks huge on my knoggin and I went with the smaller size. Maybe that's where the extra protection factors in. I even grazed my head on an overhanging branch that I've never brushed in 10 years riding this trail with other helmets. It has a really high profile (on my head). One of the things I do like about the Feature is it's low, slim profile. It's also one of the reasons I'm suspicious of its protection ability.

    I was going to say I don't notice the color of a helmet when I'm riding but this one sits low enough that I can see the visor while riding. No biggy.... but I'm still not keen on the color. My son saw me when I got home and said, "What is that on your head?? It looks like something you got at Toys R Us."

    Looks and snide comments asside, it does feel comfortable and feels secure on my head even without cinching down the chin strap to "choke" levels. Although I did notice it scooting up off my head a bit duriing the ride but I think that may have been due to the thin polypro skull cap I had crammed it on over.

    I was going to send it back for a different color (maybe light green AKA flo-yellow) but it looked like they were out of everything but blue/light blue. I have an e-mail in to CC but they haven't responded yet.

    For now it's boxed up and ready to ship back and I've been wearing the Feature until I decide whether or not to keep it.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  54. #54
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    Just picked up an Endur O matic and it feels great ! Love it , and feels super light .. Doesn't look weird or stupid either .

  55. #55
    si vis pacem...
    Reputation: Parabellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    155
    I looked at the POC Trabec this summer when I had to replace my Giro after getting up close & personal with a certain trail on Cypress Mountain. The fit of the Trabec was outstanding, but I just couldn't get past the shape. Seriously, it made me feel like a bobblehead. I tried all the usual "function over fashion" arguments but at the end of the day it still felt like I was wearing an inch-thick salad bowl on my head. I ended up getting a Fox Flux and it's not as comfortable as the POC but it's been great. It still offers a lot more protection than my old Giro did, and I have a full face for the really gnarly stuff anyway.

  56. #56
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147
    I will admit that I am not much of a fan of the POC "pastell" colors.
    I chose the black one & for me the fit is great. For some it might not fit as well.
    One thing that I will say about Paraballum's thick salad bowl look is I can say (from experience) that the thickness of the POC WILL absorb an impact better than a Giro or Bell, have not tried Fox.
    With how hard that the average Chilli owner rides, the extra protection is worth it.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    I've had my POC Trabec for about 3 months now and yes it is a big helmet but it fits like a glove and I'm sure it will do a great job on protecting my head. I'm so impressed with the POC product that I just picked up there elbow and knee pads. Now I'm a Knolly POC dude.

  58. #58
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    I've had my POC Trabec for about 3 months now and yes it is a big helmet but it fits like a glove and I'm sure it will do a great job on protecting my head. I'm so impressed with the POC product that I just picked up there elbow and knee pads. Now I'm a Knolly POC dude.
    You POC'n like your Knolly?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    You POC'n like your Knolly?
    I don't even know wtf that means, but i think the answer is yes. I also have elbows, knees and Trabec. I am thinking this next DH season that I might upgrade my 661 Core Saver to the POC Spine VPD.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,926
    I have been running a POC Trabec Race MIPS for a few months. Best fitting helmet I have owned. Bought it after a major impact on my Giro that resulted in a moderate concussion. Unfortunately I had the opportunity to test my POC a few months later. It was an even harder impact than my Giro (GPS said I was doing 20 mph and my bike came to a complete stop in less than 2') directly on my head and shoulder. Result was a dislocated shoulder and blown disk in my neck, but NO concussion. Sold me on the POC/MIPS for life. Now waiting for them to come back in stock.

  61. #61
    Greystoke
    Reputation: geo025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    So I took the Trabec out for a spin the other day. First thing I notice is that it is bulbous. This looks huge on my knoggin and I went with the smaller size. Maybe that's where the extra protection factors in. I even grazed my head on an overhanging branch that I've never brushed in 10 years riding this trail with other helmets. It has a really high profile (on my head). One of the things I do like about the Feature is it's low, slim profile. It's also one of the reasons I'm suspicious of its protection ability.

    I was going to say I don't notice the color of a helmet when I'm riding but this one sits low enough that I can see the visor while riding. No biggy.... but I'm still not keen on the color. My son saw me when I got home and said, "What is that on your head?? It looks like something you got at Toys R Us."

    Looks and snide comments asside, it does feel comfortable and feels secure on my head even without cinching down the chin strap to "choke" levels. Although I did notice it scooting up off my head a bit duriing the ride but I think that may have been due to the thin polypro skull cap I had crammed it on over.

    I was going to send it back for a different color (maybe light green AKA flo-yellow) but it looked like they were out of everything but blue/light blue. I have an e-mail in to CC but they haven't responded yet.

    For now it's boxed up and ready to ship back and I've been wearing the Feature until I decide whether or not to keep it.
    KRob, your head at 59 is about the same size as mine.
    I have the Giro Feature in size large(59 /63), which was a reasonable fit but had become a little too large with wear. I've was thinking of changing to an M for some time but never did.

    Anyhow today I took a fall on a down hill run, landed on my head , plowed up some dirt until a tree base stopped all the momentum.
    The helmet being a bit loose pushed my glasses down onto my nose, the glasses probably kept the helmet in place.
    Overall I can't see any visual helmet damage inside or out but I will let it retire to the bin. However my neck is a little worse for wear not quite as it was but OK.

    So now I'm thinking of a Poc Trabec if I go with the Trabec it will be ordered online , no one has them in my neck of the woods( a gamble I know, but they sound like they may offer better protection).
    Are the Trabecs also prone to loosen up over time?
    I don't want to get the XL(59/62) only to find I have a lid too loose in six months time, or suffer with ML( 55/58) being dam tight.
    By the way what is the size of your Feature?
    Thanks for any input.

    With regards to the to MIPS is it some thing that will cause the helmet to move around on your head a little more?

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    KRob, your head at 59 is about the same size as mine.
    I have the Giro Feature in size large(59 /63), which was a reasonable fit but had become a little too large with wear. I've was thinking of changing to an M for some time but never did.

    Anyhow today I took a fall on a down hill run, landed on my head , plowed up some dirt until a tree base stopped all the momentum.
    The helmet being a bit loose pushed my glasses down onto my nose, the glasses probably kept the helmet in place.
    Overall I can't see any visual helmet damage inside or out but I will let it retire to the bin. However my neck is a little worse for wear not quite as it was but OK.

    So now I'm thinking of a Poc Trabec if I go with the Trabec it will be ordered online , no one has them in my neck of the woods( a gamble I know, but they sound like they may offer better protection).
    Are the Trabecs also prone to loosen up over time?
    I don't want to get the XL(59/62) only to find I have a lid too loose in six months time, or suffer with ML( 55/58) being dam tight.
    By the way what is the size of your Feature?
    Thanks for any input.

    With regards to the to MIPS is it some thing that will cause the helmet to move around on your head a little more?
    My Feature is a medium which is normally the size that fits me best in Giro helmets. It fits well and with more room to spare than the M/L Trabec. I don't know if either will stretch out with time.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    My Feature is a medium which is normally the size that fits me best in Giro helmets. It fits well and with more room to spare than the M/L Trabec. I don't know if either will stretch out with time.
    it seems poc's sizing is inconsistent. my giro xen is a medium and so is my trabec, both fit well. but i bought a medium poc receptor flow and it is too small. when i looked at their sizing chart their medium helmets don't all fit in the same range. i think i'd need a large in their fullface and receptor, but the medium trabec fits perfect.

  64. #64
    Greystoke
    Reputation: geo025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    255
    Thanks KRob, I decided on the XL since I wear a bandana 90% of the time , got it while they were at $90.95 , hmmm looks like they are back at $140.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    it seems poc's sizing is inconsistent. my giro xen is a medium and so is my trabec, both fit well. but i bought a medium poc receptor flow and it is too small. when i looked at their sizing chart their medium helmets don't all fit in the same range. i think i'd need a large in their fullface and receptor, but the medium trabec fits perfect.
    My buddy bought the Trabec in M/L but had to get the XL for the fullface. I tried on the fullface and couldn't even get the helmet on.

    Sizing issues aside, I am loving the Trabec.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    My buddy bought the Trabec in M/L but had to get the XL for the fullface. I tried on the fullface and couldn't even get the helmet on.

    Sizing issues aside, I am loving the Trabec.
    i love mine too. the sizing just caught me out. i looked at the poc fullface that was on chainlove and thought i'd need the l/xl which still throws me, as i never have bought a large helmet before.

  67. #67
    MTB SOCAL
    Reputation: yangpei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,353
    I am considering the Trabec Race vs the Trabec Race MIPS. Did you happen to compare the fit of the two before going with the MIPS? They seem to be out of stock in most online retailers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I have been running a POC Trabec Race MIPS for a few months. Best fitting helmet I have owned. Bought it after a major impact on my Giro that resulted in a moderate concussion. Unfortunately I had the opportunity to test my POC a few months later. It was an even harder impact than my Giro (GPS said I was doing 20 mph and my bike came to a complete stop in less than 2') directly on my head and shoulder. Result was a dislocated shoulder and blown disk in my neck, but NO concussion. Sold me on the POC/MIPS for life. Now waiting for them to come back in stock.
    Kokopelli Racing

    "Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rdhfreethought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei View Post
    I am considering the Trabec Race vs the Trabec Race MIPS. Did you happen to compare the fit of the two before going with the MIPS? They seem to be out of stock in most online retailers.
    The fit should be identical, as the MIPS doesnt change the shape at all. Slightly worse cooling and slightly heavier would be the only things I can tihnk of, though I dont own the MIPS version personally (didn't even know they had MIPS in the Trabec)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Guess I can join the Knolly - POC club, seems to be the trend. I run the knee/shin, elbows, and pressure suit for DH.

    I was thinking about a Trebec lid too and I kind of like the purple...anyone think its to 'girly'?

  70. #70
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,373
    Remember folks, monochromatic themes are all the rage for the spring fashion season. Matching your helmet to your bike makes you 14% faster...

    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    Very Nice!

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Remember folks, monochromatic themes are all the rage for the spring fashion season. Matching your helmet to your bike makes you 14% faster...

    Guess i'll be getting the light blue one! Where can we see more pics of that beaut? It's pretty much the opposite of mine, blue paint with orange ano!

  73. #73
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Remember folks, monochromatic themes are all the rage for the spring fashion season. Matching your helmet to your bike makes you 14% faster...

    How are the Schwalbes treating you?
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sleevem1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Remember folks, monochromatic themes are all the rage for the spring fashion season. Matching your helmet to your bike makes you 14% faster...

    I bet if you wore the Tempor, it would make you go 20% faster.

  75. #75
    Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Reputation: greasemeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    770
    Where was this photo taken?
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

  76. #76
    fat & decripit old guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Remember folks, monochromatic themes are all the rage for the spring fashion season. Matching your helmet to your bike makes you 14% faster...

    I hope that you picked up your fanny pack......It's littering if you did not

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Remember folks, monochromatic themes are all the rage for the spring fashion season. Matching your helmet to your bike makes you 14% faster...

    Maybe if I hang enough blue parts on my orange frame it will still coordinate sufficiently with my light blue POC to gain a little speed.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •