Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Knollician

New Brain Bucket

Last weekend I had an "incident" where my head was greeted by some nasty granite. Although my helmet showed little signs of damage, I am a believer in the one and done philosophy. My previous helmet was a Specialized Vice which is a nice helmet, very well ventilated, and well constructed. The helmet was a bit strange on my head as it sat on top of it, rather than on it. So I began the search for a new helmet. The 2 helmets I really liked were the POC (pronounced Pock, not P-O-C) Trabec and the Giro Feature.

There are no shops in town that carry the POC, but I was able to try on a Feature. The Feature fit well, but the construction looked a bit cheap. It falls in the mid range of the Giro line, so cutting some corners is expected. After reading many reviews, it seems that the helmet is a bit warm, a bit of an issue here in the Valley of the Sun.

I searched around for details on the POC, and found very few complaints, and found that Competitive Cyclist has them for $90 with free shipping. So I went for it. I only have fitted it here at the house, no ride time, but the helmet fits well. It is the first helmet that I have owned that feels like it encompasses my head. It is comfortable, very well constructed (probably the best I have seen in a bicycle helmet), and is not nearly as bulky as I thought. It is a thicker helmet, much like the Fox Flux. Another great feature for me is that my glasses fit well. With my Specialized, I would get sore spots from my glasses. Not sure about venting yet, but I will learn quickly.

IMG_4615

IMG_4616

IMG_4617

IMG_4618
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    I bought one in late summer, and I've noticed all the same great things. I'm still loving mine, hope yours works out.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Not sure if you have the day glow yellow chilli but it looks like you now need one.

mtbr member
    Jealous!

mtbr member
    I have had my POC for about four rides now. The best fitting helmet I have ever had, well maybe second. I have an Urge Down-O-Matic and that is a pretty sweet fit.

The POC isn't quite as yellow as the Chil, but it's close!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Been running one for 6 months or so now. If you hop onto a road to get the speed up you can really feel the vents working.

TSC
    More Verbose Than Mose
    I would highly recommend against any Lazer brand helmet that adjusts fit with a wire around your head. I had an "incident" and the wire cut my forehead. (The nose was due to a soft kiss from mother earth.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    I like my trabec and my POC DH lid. I am a bit of a fanboy now. I have 2 chest protectors, a knee/shin, a knee, and elbows. All from POC. The main problem was the stitching came unraveled (I resewed it) and the fabric is finally coming apart. The design of the VPD 2.0 stuff is much better than before, and I still think the best money can buy.

Speaking of armor, I am still debating what to bring. I'll probably wear my spine protector and knees. I dont think ill be too hot.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    blimey $90 that's cheaper than in Europe, Good buy and great colour.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I bought a trabec race this past spring. After using Giro exclusively for years the POC fits better and has equal if not better ventilation. I've been very happy with mine.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I have had my POC for about four rides now. The best fitting helmet I have ever had, well maybe second. I have an Urge Down-O-Matic and that is a pretty sweet fit.

The POC isn't quite as yellow as the Chil, but it's close!
    I forgot to mention that the helmet fits me well. It is the first helmet I have had in a long time that I don't have to dial the headlock device down really tight to secure the helmet. Even with little or no pressure on the headlock, the helmet doesn't move. Seems like this helmet should stay in place well when sliding down the trail.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post

Speaking of armor, I am still debating what to bring. I'll probably wear my spine protector and knees. I dont think ill be too hot.
    I would think knees and elbows (if you have them) will be sufficient. There isn't any freeride like moves and we will be doing lots of climbing/pedaling. Most DH's we have are not balls out, they are slower, chunky, pick a line type trails. Your call.

mtbr member
    I am enjoying my 661 Recon at the moment - 661 makes quality gear IMHO

mtbr member
    May 2004
    On CHAINLOVE right now for $75+ship
    Chainlove.com: POC Trabec Helmet - $74.99 - 46% off

I'll say I've ordered and returned one of these. I had it side by side with my Fox Flux and just prefered the venting and look of the Fox. They both fit very well, with the POC being a bit more bulbous and with less openness in the vents. The fit is very similar with these two helmets.

Yebo Numzaan
    Ha brilliant timing. I saw the chainlove deal with a minute remaining and snagged one. I recently ordered a Fox Flux which i dig...but have always wanted my brain to be a little bit more encased in the helmet for more FR stuff.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I forgot to mention that the helmet fits me well. It is the first helmet I have had in a long time that I don't have to dial the headlock device down really tight to secure the helmet. Even with little or no pressure on the headlock, the helmet doesn't move. Seems like this helmet should stay in place well when sliding down the trail.
    This is the greatest feature of the helmet imo, it feels like you don't even need to buckle the chin strap to keep the helmet on. I barely even notice it too, which is surprising considering its size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    On CHAINLOVE right now for $75+ship
    Chainlove.com: POC Trabec Helmet - $74.99 - 46% off

Dang, just missed it.

I was also looking at the same two helmets before my BC trip and ended up going with the Feature mostly based on price. I picked up the Feature from Backcountry.com for under $40 and couldn't find anyone that had the POC for under $125. Without the benefit of being able to try them first, I went with the Feature.

As tiSS'er says, it fits well, but looks, feels a bit cheap. I also think it's ugly as sin. Good thing I can't see it when I'm riding.... although even the profile I see in my shadow looks dorky so I may have to keep watching for the POC on sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    This is the greatest feature of the helmet imo, it feels like you don't even need to buckle the chin strap to keep the helmet on. I barely even notice it too, which is surprising considering its size.

I too have noticed this, just a really good snug fit, unlike my old Giro Hex it replaced. I think the venting is fine as well, mine is black, and I rode is some fairly hot temps this summer in it, and didn't ever feel my head getting overly hot.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

MC MasterShake
    Yeah, that's a good one. I've had mine for a season and it's holding up strong. Fits my helmet and GP mount very nicely as well.

mtbr member
    A few riding buddies have the Trabec and are impressed. I just got an Urge Enduromatic which I really like. Lighter than my old Xen, more coverage and vents better than it looks like it should.

TSC
    More Verbose Than Mose
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Ha brilliant timing. I saw the chainlove deal with a minute remaining and snagged one. I recently ordered a Fox Flux which i dig...but have always wanted my brain to be a little bit more encased in the helmet for more FR stuff.
    I read a review that said the POC Trabec was hot at low speeds (and I overheat at 80 degrees), so I went for the Fox Flux. tiSS'er, his love of grueling uphills, and the AZ heat will be the ultimate test of the Trabec; and I'm looking forward to an update when the temperature starts to climb.

I really like the Fox Flux for XC/light-AM, but after reading this: Crash Report on Urge Archi Enduro Helmet (Warning: GORE GALORE!) I have started wearing a solid, full-face helmet for anything close to FR or DH.

My full-face is the POC Cortex DH MIPS. It is very expensive but it's not a one-and-done helmet. It is is quite comfortable and not as hot as my old Giro. The one problem: glasses are pushed forward off my head, so I have to wear goggles or nothing.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mr. wonderful
    Oh my! I don't think we can ride together anymore

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Oh my! I don't think we can ride together anymore
    Wait 'til you see my new socks!

What the ----?
    Nice lid! I love my Cortex DH, (@ TSC, glasses push forward on my head also) Dig the Shrek green.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Wait 'til you see my new socks!
    don't tell me you got the WTFs.

"Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast