Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    I would highly recommend against any Lazer brand helmet that adjusts fit with a wire around your head. I had an "incident" and the wire cut my forehead. (The nose was due to a soft kiss from mother earth.)
    That is pretty gnarly man.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Dang, just missed it.

I was also looking at the same two helmets before my BC trip and ended up going with the Feature mostly based on price. I picked up the Feature from Backcountry.com for under $40 and couldn't find anyone that had the POC for under $125. Without the benefit of being able to try them first, I went with the Feature.

As tiSS'er says, it fits well, but looks, feels a bit cheap. I also think it's ugly as sin. Good thing I can't see it when I'm riding.... although even the profile I see in my shadow looks dorky so I may have to keep watching for the POC on sale.
    I have the FEATURE and actually love everything about it....Just took a nasty backwards header and was saved. I did just purchese POC Bone elbow pads that are by far the best I've ever tried. They just don't move. That's what all the reviews were saying and that was my most important criteria. Has anyone tried POC Chest/shoulder protectors yet?

mtbr member
    I would highly recommend against any Lazer brand helmet that adjusts fit with a wire around your head. I had an "incident" and the wire cut my forehead. (The nose was due to a soft kiss from mother earth.)
    what caused the crazy eyes?

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Dang, just missed it.

I was also looking at the same two helmets before my BC trip and ended up going with the Feature mostly based on price. I picked up the Feature from Backcountry.com for under $40 and couldn't find anyone that had the POC for under $125. Without the benefit of being able to try them first, I went with the Feature.

As tiSS'er says, it fits well, but looks, feels a bit cheap. I also think it's ugly as sin. Good thing I can't see it when I'm riding.... although even the profile I see in my shadow looks dorky so I may have to keep watching for the POC on sale.
    That's funny cause I thought that the Feature was cheap looking and ugly as my morning # 2.
    I like my POC.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    what caused the crazy eyes?
    "crazy eyes"? What are you saying; that's my sexy, "come hither" look for the ladies.

J/K... I can't take a serious-looking photo when personal injury is involved. I'm sort-of a reverse-drama-queen.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Roll on Spring Time!
    Maybe you guys can help me out with some info since most of the products I have been looking at are here. I recently replaced my done for open face and ended up choosing a Giro Xar. This seemed like a safe bet since Giro seem to make big helmets for my big dome. I am really not that happy with the fit as it seems to sit right on top of my head and doesnt give me that secure feeling I really like. My old Protec helmet wasnt supper comfy but at least felt like it was secure and on my head. I also like as much coverage as possible and would be happy to ride in my jump helmet execept it is hot during summer.
    What put me off the Urge and POC helmets were the reviews of the helmets being on the small size.
    Have you guys with big heads, if there are any, found this to be the case?
    Does the Fox give a nice on the head feel?
    I have also being haveing a bad year for hitting the dirt and my right elbow has been sticthed up a few times and seen repeated skin loss. My TLD pads fit really well and dont slip while riding but do slide when hitting the dirt resulting in skin exposure. I generaly end up with cuts/grazes even when wearing my pads. I have till now felt they have saved my bones and of course more severe skin injury but I also feel like I just cant afford to keep taking skin off the same place, I always go down on the right side. Have any of you gone down with POC pads and found they have stayed in place? Not just while riding.
    I dont have any shops stocking any of these products so I can test fit. Only online purchasing which sucks to trial and error.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    To Juan:
    I have a big dome. The POC I bought is a XL/XXL, 59-62cm. The POC fits way better than the Fox Flux it replaced. It does not sit on top of my head, and the ratchet holds my melon nicely.
    I have the POC knee and elbow pads and love them. I have had some real diggers and the pads have stayed in place unlike my previous 661s. If you are ordering online go by the sizing chart and err on the small side. All pads stretch and you will prefer the smaller size. Go POC and you will not regret it.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Roll on Spring Time!
    yes Calhoun. thats good to know. I have no issue investing in protection. I have been happy with my 661 KS knee pads but they break down to0 easily, they are really comfy and dont slip. finding good quality, durable and effective protection is hard and not access to test fit is crap.
    I just want to ride.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Juan

The POC 2.0 pads are the ones to get, they fit better and stay in place better than the original.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    That's funny cause I thought that the Feature was cheap looking and ugly as my morning # 2.
    I like my POC.
    Ha ha. I let my vanity and sense of self-preservation get the best of me. I ordered the POC last night. I ordered it from CC for $99 free shipping. I figured by time the chainlove deal came around again they'd be pretty well picked over for sizes and colors. Plus by time you add shipping the price is close.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Sounds like a Knolly-POCs epidemic is breaking out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    I have the FEATURE and actually love everything about it....Just took a nasty backwards header and was saved. I did just purchese POC Bone elbow pads that are by far the best I've ever tried. They just don't move. That's what all the reviews were saying and that was my most important criteria. Has anyone tried POC Chest/shoulder protectors yet?
    That's good to know. I've about given up on elbow protection because they always end up down around my wrists anyway.

RideDirt
    The 661 KS , i loved those but they ended up falling apart and after some long hot rides they started sliding down slowly .

I recently picked up some POC VPD 2.0 Long Knee pads ( went w/ large since my knee cap was in that sizing but my calf was a Medium ) and these things fit nice . I had ordered the Mediums since i thought i might be able to get away with that but i couldnt get them all the way up to my legs for the life of me, they were way super tight .The padding is pretty cool since they mold around your leg once warm and harden with a quick impact. I will be investing in some elbow pads from POC as well probably .

I have the Fox Launch Knee/Shin and Elbow pads which have saved me on the super chunky rocky descents and the super sketchy DH trails, but too hot and stiff for AM riding.

LOL i know this has NOTHING to do with the helmet but figured i would shed some light as well.

mtbr member
    Ha ha. I let my vanity and sense of self-preservation get the best of me. I ordered the POC last night. I ordered it from CC for $99 free shipping. I figured by time the chainlove deal came around again they'd be pretty well picked over for sizes and colors. Plus by time you add shipping the price is close.
    thought chainlove shipping was free in the usa

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    KRob Im sure Summit Sports had some POC lids on sale while you were up in Whis. But looks like you got one anyway for most likely cheaper.

Ive got the VPD Knees, Elbows, and Ankle Guards as well. Like the FFs but might go TLD D3 instead

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    KRob Im sure Summit Sports had some POC lids on sale while you were up in Whis. But looks like you got one anyway for most likely cheaper.

Ive got the VPD Knees, Elbows, and Ankle Guards as well. Like the FFs but might go TLD D3 instead
    Im picking one up soon , D3 Helmet Pinstripe CF Black. If you need a hook up on one , PM me Can get you a sweet deal on it.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Nope. Their business model is to make most of their profits off their S&H fees; that's why you can only get one thing on an order.

BTW, check out DepartmentOfGoods.com if you want to see what's in inventory and potentially coming up on Chainlove, Huck'nRoll, & Steep'nCheap.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Huck n Roll go bye bye, shame I always used them
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

beater
    It's been a year since I've bought from Chainlove (or Steep and Cheap; yay- cured), but in my experience none of the Backcountry deal-at-a-time sites offer free shipping.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemeat View Post
    Huck n Roll go bye bye, shame I always used them
    The name has changed but the ownership is still the same: BackCountry.com

competitivecyclist.com
    hucknroll.com
    steepandcheap.com
    chainlove.com
    departmentofgoods.com

Good advice: if you can get the same item through BackCountry.com for a similar price then you might want to consider using BackCountry because it offers a warranty in addition to the manufacturers, which their "affiliate" sites do not.

mtbr member
    Nope. Their business model is to make most of their profits off their S&H fees; that's why you can only get one thing on an order.

BTW, check out DepartmentOfGoods.com if you want to see what's in inventory and potentially coming up on Chainlove, Huck'nRoll, & Steep'nCheap.

They have changed this. You can hold your order for a week and add items thoughout that time, each new item ships for 99 cents.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL_STINKY View Post
    They have changed this. You can hold your order for a week and add items thoughout that time, each new item ships for 99 cents.
    I did not know this. I haven't bought anything for a while from the BC affiliate sites. Thanks for the info.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL_STINKY View Post
    Yeah, it really enables serial abuse...
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Good to see all the Knolly/POC love!

I've had a POC trabec race helmet (bright orange/white colour) for over a year and it's the best helmet I've ever owned. My head feels like the helmet is sitting nicely in place, rather than sitting on top. I'd previously worn giro's but this feels much better.

Rare as hen's teeth in Australia (I got mine from the US), I've only ever seen one other POC trabec helmet on the trails... but then again I've never seen a Knolly

I'm becoming a bit of a POC fanboi... just got a t-shirt that tells you NOT to wash it everyday! I commuted to work for a whole week in it (150km in total) and the t-shirt was only just starting to smell... crazy!

mtbr member
    Just got my POC Trabec. Blue/light blue size M/L. I like the way it fits and looks but having second thoughts about the color. I wanted something other than black this time. I guess I'll get used to it.

The sizing is true but I failed to look at what M/L size actually is: 55-58cm. My noggin is about 59cm so its a bit snug but fits OK with the adjustment band dialed out most of the way. However it won't fit with my headband and skull cap on that I wear for winter riding so haven't had a chance to wear it on a ride yet.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast