mtbr member
    May 2004

new all-black fork option: Rockshox PIKE

for those blacked out chilcotin/endo builds:
    Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

New damper too - it will be interesting how this stacks up to the MiCo/MiCo DH that has become very popular.

But why just the lame 15mm? So lame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks great and love RS but no 20mm axle would be the deal breaker for me. Looks like a great fork for the endo.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Looks great and love RS but no 20mm axle would be the deal breaker for me. Looks like a great fork for the endo.
    Absolutely nailed it.

mtbr member
    that would make for a wicked murdered out Endo build.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    just noticed it is marked for 160mm for 29ers, even has decent stanchions.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Agreed, no 20mm axle is a deal breaker.

mtbr member

Not for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    that would make for a wicked murdered out Endo build.
    Lyrics arent as stiff as 36 Floats, and the Pike will not be stiffer than Lyrics.

You guys accross the pond need to start importing BOS.
    This would stop you having to AVY everything...
    Youve no idea what your missing out on, i cant stress that enough.
    BOS are the best MTB supsension company in the world.
    Its 'an accepted fact' now in Europe and Asia.
    This year, BOS will bring out the 150mm 650b Deville Fork, which by matter of fact,
    would be absolutley King on a 650b carbon Endorphin.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    BOS looks nice but I'll take my fox/rs/marzocchi any day and send it to AVY and get it custom tuned for my riding style and weight while supporting local business.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    BOS looks nice but I'll take my fox/rs/marzocchi any day and send it to AVY and get it custom tuned for my riding style and weight while supporting local business.
    No! Its not about looks!
    BOS has the best dampers, and it doesnt matter what weight you are, plus they are easy set up.
    Sure, supporting your local business is a good thing, but if i had that mentality i wouldnt have bought a Knolly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    Lyrics arent as stiff as 36 Floats, and the Pike will not be stiffer than Lyrics.

You guys accross the pond need to start importing BOS.
    This would stop you having to AVY everything...
    Youve no idea what your missing out on, i cant stress that enough.
    BOS are the best MTB supsension company in the world.
    Its 'an accepted fact' now in Europe and Asia.
    This year, BOS will bring out the 150mm 650b Deville Fork, which by matter of fact,
    would be absolutley King on a 650b carbon Endorphin.
    There are already a couple threads about appropriate forks for the Endo. To me this fork falls right in line with the intent of the Endo. 35mm stanchions is a step in the right direction, and I am sure the 15mm axle to keep the fork's intended use in perspective.

I have heard a lot about the BOS, but unless things have changed it seems like customer support has been lacking. I think I remember seeing one Knolly rider ditch his BOS fork., but I'm not sure why.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For a lighter rider the Pike sounds great for an Endorphin or Chilcotin. I enjoy the travel and plush-ness of my 66, but I can't honestly say that my 165lbs could flex a 15mm axle or 35mm stanchions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i have to say as a diehard bos fan myself. their forks certainly are the best i have tried and used. but their downfall is their crappy customer service, they have a very long way to go if they want to compete with the big guns like fox and rockshox. they defo have the best dampers but thats no good if they cant or wont back it up should anything go wrong. it's a real shame cause i personally do think they could be the biggest and the best if ollie could sort things out.

U $ 4 O?
    Lyrik all blackered out too??? yes please

mtbr member
    This does look like it might be a good match for the Endo. I still just don't understand the 15mm axle though, although I didn't ever really look into the reasoning behind it.

Is it really that much lighter than a 20mm? Or what's the selling point?
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    they defo have the best dampers but thats no good if they cant or wont back it up should anything go wrong.
    They WILL back it up, the problem has been the waiting time, up until now, but if you call Clem at Surfsales in England, who is now the warranty repair mechanic / distributor for the UK, you'll see things are changing for the better and BOS / Ollie dont want you to feel like this anymore.

Just roll it......
    It's funny to think that not that long ago, we were Freehucking to flat on the old 130 mm Marzocchi Z1's with a quick release and 32mm stanchions and now a 15mm through axle is perceived to not be enough.

I'm gonna go out on a limb with a completely unfounded and unscientific statement that the 15mm axle has far less impact (vs. a 20mm axle) on overall stiffness than the bigger stanchions.

IMO, SRAM is likely trying to differentiate the new Pike from the Lyrik - hence the 15 mm axle.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    It's funny to think that not that long ago, we were Freehucking to flat on the old 130 mm Marzocchi Z1's with a quick release and 32mm stanchions and now a 15mm through axle is perceived to not be enough.

I'm gonna go out on a limb with a completely unfounded and unscientific statement that the 15mm axle has far less impact (vs. a 20mm axle) on overall stiffness than the bigger stanchions.

IMO, SRAM is likely trying to differentiate the new Pike from the Lyrik - hence the 15 mm axle.
    No, the 15mm axle is a pain in the ass when a lot of us own 20mm everything. In my mind at least, stiffness has nothing to do with it.

Also, Marzocchi has 35mm stanchions on their 55's. Always have, and they're stiff as f@#k!

mtbr member
    I agree with ebxtreme, I think the stanchions will play more into how stiff it is over the 15mm QR. Part of my reservation is like gapowell said, all my stuff is 20mm. I don't want to have to buy a conversion kit, etc etc. Then if I suddenly have to swap wheels I have to swap axles, blah blah. Is it a huge deal? No, not really, but why bother if I can avoid it. It's just more convenient for me personally.

I can see how going from a QR to a 15mm axle is a big step up for the XC crowd, which may be and probably why they do it. But why not just go to 20mm? That was my real question. It's 2.5mm on each side. Everyone is going with with 142 axles in the rear, and that's 3.5mm wider on each side over the old QR style.

Is it a weight thing, in terms of is a 15mm is 90% stiff as a 20mm AND lighter? Just seems to make more sense to go with, with all the 20mm hubs out there already in people's garages, etc. I'd just love to see some true testing of a 15mm vs 20mm axle in terms of stiffness, etc.

The Pike looks nice and like good option, but for $1000, I'd rather just go with a Lyrik Solo air and lower it to 150 (I was told this was possibly on the 2013's), that way I have a fork with more multi functional usability on a trail bike like the Endo, or a bigger bike like a Chili.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My Marz 55cr is all black, 35mm black stanchions, and 20mm axle...just sayin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I agree with ebxtreme, I think the stanchions will play more into how stiff it is over the 15mm QR
    +1 and the difference between 15mm and 20mm is miniscule. ive just been through a similar problem (with changing axle types), made sure this time i got hubs that can switch between qr/12/15/20 by just changing the end caps, dt swiss 240 are such hubs.

RideDirt
    I am happy with my Avyd products ,as hes only a couple states away from me and i love my 20mm axles . Pike looks pretty dope in black tho but then again so does my Marz66 i have as a backup.

mtbr member
    I have a Deville and like it. But I prefer the 55rc3 ti I have. The Deville has 34mm stanchions and a 20mm axle. Ive also owned 36s and lyrics. We ride pretty rocky techy trails and my weight fluctuates around 200 lbs. My point is I can't tell the difference in stiffness on any of those forks. However, i have a revelation with 15mm axle and you can tell itbis less ridged / stiff. I would be interested if the extra 2mm in stanchion on the pike really makes a big difference over a revelation since the 2mm bifference between a 36 and Deville is not perceptible to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I have a Deville and like it. But I prefer the 55rc3 ti I have. The Deville has 34mm stanchions and a 20mm axle. Ive also owned 36s and lyrics. We ride pretty rocky techy trails and my weight fluctuates around 200 lbs. My point is I can't tell the difference in stiffness on any of those forks. However, i have a revelation with 15mm axle and you can tell itbis less ridged / stiff. I would be interested if the extra 2mm in stanchion on the pike really makes a big difference over a revelation since the 2mm bifference between a 36 and Deville is not perceptible to me.
    Yeah, my Chili built to 30.5lbs with float 36's/rp23 so its getting treated to 55rc3 ti's and a ccdb coil in the summer.

The flex is hard for some to notice, i know a few that cant tell the difference between a lyric and a float, but if you focus hard on the front wheel when your hammering into a berm you should notice the tracking is better with a stiff fork and the bike does follow where you are pointing it in more precise manner. It is marginal, but when you factor in stiffer bars, and a stiffer wheel build, the three together make a difference that could be registered by almost any rider. A stiff front end makes a bike feel so much better. On that note ive always believed its a tragedy not to have enough fork/stiffness but not a problem to have it over spec'd For the sake of 'a few' grams i think all forks should have 20mm axles, and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    They WILL back it up, the problem has been the waiting time, up until now, but if you call Clem at Surfsales in England, who is now the warranty repair mechanic / distributor for the UK, you'll see things are changing for the better and BOS / Ollie dont want you to feel like this anymore.
    i hope so matey. i emailed clem last week, and he said they not quite ready yet, will be roughly 3 weeks. before they good to go with service and warranty repair ect ect.
    i hope it works out with surfsales, as i believe tftuned and r53 both thought they could turn things around only to discover bos werent very helpful. like i said i hope they can make it work as im a huge bos fan and would defo purchase more bos products if they start to look after and appreciate their customers.

mtbr member
    So for anyone who's interested, a Rockshox rep just told me the AtC of the new Pike, 150mm 26" version, is expected to be 532mm. He said "expected to be" since it's not actually out yet.

But the Endo's geo is 533mm (including a headset), and with the Pike only coming in a tapered steer tube flavor, you could be slacking it out a bit much. A typical external lower cup is about 14 or 15mm I think, so that'd be throwing the headtube angle at just over 66'...just food for thought.