mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mudguard mod for the chili

with autumn around the corner, pacific northwest trails are about to turn into a sloppy mudfest. i was really interested in the mucky nutz bender fender, but price+shipping to the us would be about $35 and take who knows how long.

i don't know if anyone is actually interested in this and it's not much of a "mod," but i spent a few hours total figuring this out and didn't know if it would even work. if it saves someone else a few hours of head-scratching i'll be happy.

my main interest was figuring out a way to limit gunk buildup above the bottom bracket and limit the amount of crap being flung into the pivot bolts. i ended up picking up the portland design works sodapop fender on amazon for $23, including free 2-day shipping via amazon prime. btw, i purchased the 64mm mountain fender.

install was a piece of cake, and i'm curious about how it will perform. rain is expected the next few days, so i might do some testing this friday.

here's what came out of the box
    Name:  IMGP4998.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  68.4 KB

pulled off the mounting bracket
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp4999.jpg

drilled a couple zip-tie mounts
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5002.jpg

added zip ties
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5003.jpg

shoved everything into place
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5004.jpg

secured everything to the chainstay
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5006.jpg

image of bottom tire clearance
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5007.jpg

image of top tire clearance
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5008.jpg

glamour shot 1
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5009.jpg

glamour shot 2
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5010.jpg

glamour shot 3
    mudguard mod for the chili-imgp5011.jpg

mtbr member
    looks pretty tight. Let us know how well it performs in the mud.
    I hate that it is time to think about fenders in the PNW again. I'll post mine whenever I get around to making them.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    I guess the sticky mud will block the wheel with this mudguard in that position.
    Lucky!

mtbr member
    Nice, that is something I would like to try. Let us know how it performs in the mud.

mtbr member
    No zip ties to the top of the seat stays? I think it looks great, but I'd be concerned about it slapping the back tire over rough stuff.

Looking forward to a ride report!
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    No zip ties to the top of the seat stays? I think it looks great, but I'd be concerned about it slapping the back tire over rough stuff.

Looking forward to a ride report!
    distance between seatstay and chainstay change length throughout the travel of the frame due to pivot linkage next to the thru-axle so i had to decide on a single mounting point. the fender piece feels solidly connected, but we'll see how a ride goes.

ride report will be to test
    1. mud deflection from frame and ass
    2. mud buildup between fender and tire
    3. fender rigidity and obstruction during ride
    4. fender mount positioning and movement during ride
    5. cleaning difficulty

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Why not put a couple holes in the upper part of the mud guard and put a rubber band through them? It should let the fender move when the suspension compresses but also help pull it back towards the seat stay bridge.
    MCM #269

"Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ride report? We can buy those locally now for $13....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i was completely swallowed up by work right after writing up that post. i've been pulling 70hr work weeks for the past month, and this will continue through october. about to give my letter of resignation and just ride the rest of fall. i work for a small local company and one of the supposed benefits when i joined on was for everyone to have enough time to pursue their hobbies and real life.

anyways, since i won't be able to get back on my bike until end of october, i'm not sure how long you can wait for that. i do have to say that i have a lot of confidence in this rig, though i haven't done an official ride report.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Cheers, and enjoy your "retirement"! For $13 I may just give it a try anyway.

mtbr member
    Whats the word on this, great success?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    alrighty, so i got out for a ride today (i know, right, "finally??!"). i thought there'd be a bit of mud to play around with since there was rain off-and-on throughout the week, but the trails only had spots of mud and puddles. i made sure to ram through any wet areas and was successful at getting a nice undercoating of dirt/mud on the bottom side of the bike.

so my thoughts? i'm overall happy with the fender. i didn't hear any scraping between the fender and tire, which meant that there was enough space that things weren't getting lodged between. also, the linkage was kept fairly protected (see pics). my butt and backside didn't have a noticeable diarrhea stripe, but i think that with the limits of the top tire coverage that this may not be the case in muddier conditions.

any downsides? on drops and while popping around on the trails, the fender did lightly slap against the top seatstay. nothing majorly worrying re: structure or integrity of the fender, but i would be concerned that the paint could eventually be rubbed off. this can easily be solved by throwing some protective tape on the area.

mudguard mod for the chili-img_20140104_172555.jpgmudguard mod for the chili-img_20140104_172605.jpgmudguard mod for the chili-img_20140104_172616.jpgmudguard mod for the chili-img_20140104_172632.jpg