mtbr member

Mont Sainte-Anne World Cup DH race this weekend

Just wondering if any of you Knolly Easterners are heading to the race this weekend?

mtbr member
    I am dying to see a top level world-cupper ride a Podium to the podium! I hear Aaron Gwin could use a little help in the bike department. C'mon Knolly - find one ripper and get him hooked up. Of course, that means paying a good salary and travel expenses plus buying a huge van and having race support - so I am guessing that might be a little expensive for such a small company.

Still - I think the Podium might just s**t on many of the other race bikes on the WC tracks. Am I right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    I am dying to see a top level world-cupper ride a Podium to the podium! I hear Aaron Gwin could use a little help in the bike department. C'mon Knolly - find one ripper and get him hooked up. Of course, that means paying a good salary and travel expenses plus buying a huge van and having race support - so I am guessing that might be a little expensive for such a small company.

Still - I think the Podium might just s**t on many of the other race bikes on the WC tracks. Am I right?
    Totally agree...The costs to run a team are absurd so it's not likely going to happen, but I'm also very curious how a top rider would benefit from the Podium!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Totally agree...The costs to run a team are absurd so it's not likely going to happen, but I'm also very curious how a top rider would benefit from the Podium!
    Agree! IMO, the rider is more than the bike. I love Knolly, but it's also nice to see them stick to freeride scene. The cost for sponsor a WC rider is crazy.

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, what does a pro DH rider like Gwinn or others on big brand bikes make?

Just roll it......
    Not enough considering what they put on the line, that's for sure!!

Seriously, other than the top 20 riders, most professional dh racers are scraping by and many have other jobs to supplement their riding.

As others have alluded, having a race program is extremely expensive. You need to have a mechanic, motorhome/van (or several), and a massive travel budget. The bigger teams like CRC, Syndicate, Specialized, Gstaad/Scott, LaPierre, MS Mondraker, etc. also have team manager, media folks (video/photo) as well. Then, at the races they often hire a massage or physio person. It all adds up.

I will say that when (for example) Specialized and Trek invested heavily in their race programs a few years ago and came out with their well-regarded dh bikes, you sure saw a lot more of the Session and Demo 8 at the bike park and the various regional races, so I don't doubt that they instill confidence in the consumer and sell more bikes, but I highly doubt that a break-even point for a small company is achievable. Let's say Noel invested even a small amount (let's say $200k) to fund a race team annually, how many additional bikes would that take him to break even? 100? 200?

Personally, I think having a couple dozen strong local/grassroots riders racing your bikes is nearly as effective as paying for a World Cup caliber team. The only caveat is having someone at the elite caliber of a Hill, Gee, Minnaar or Gwin get totally buckwild on your bike is extremely valuable for testing purposes and their marketing value can't really be overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does a pro DH rider like Gwinn or others on big brand bikes make?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post

Personally, I think having a couple dozen strong local/grassroots riders racing your bikes is nearly as effective as paying for a World Cup caliber team. The only caveat is having someone at the elite caliber of a Hill, Gee, Minnaar or Gwin get totally buckwild on your bike is extremely valuable for testing purposes and their marketing value can't really be overstated.
    Yeah but...

James Doerfling Signs With Knolly Bikes Through 2014! - Pinkbike
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Just roll it......
    Ooh, for sure having Doerfling, Buehler, Ryan Berrecloth, etc. riding these bikes hard and totally shredding them is fantasitc for the brand and good to show what the bikes can take.

I guess I was more speaking to the whole testing end of things. Most of the WC caliber racers I've ever been around are CRAZY picky about bike setup and really notice small/subtle changes to suspension setup, bike changes, etc. Stuff that most of us laymen would likely never notice. I'd also argue that going as fast as the top racers ride, they are probably just as rough (or rougher) on their bikes as any of the freehuckers. They were going 60kph+ on the Mont Saint Anne track today in quali's....and racers blow through multiple wheelsets during Ft. Bill each year.

The only other advantage of the bigger race teams is their direct work with the suspension makers on their bikes. Granted, all mfgrs. these days send the kinematics and often test bikes to Fox, Rock Shox and CC so they get the shock tuned for the specific leverage curve, but when Fox or Rock Shox are doing testing at race tracks, they get a lot more data on different setups for a particular bike. I've witnessed a full day of testing and it's crazy how many setups they try and how thorough they are on each change. It's way too detail oriented for me!

EB

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post

mtbr member
    Interesting point. They are picky, and need to be! That is why someone, like me, a recreational rider need not be too picky. We can all get too wrapped up in what tires, shock, fork, etc. to run. Getting too picky and finicky can take the fun out of riding. Especially when u continuously swap parts out not finding that "sweet" setup adding to frustration. I ride with and see guys on trails with mediocre bikes and parts shredding and having a blast. That is the most important facet in rec riding... Have a effin blast and maximize what you have!
    Now, back to pinkbike and mtbr classifieds I go looking for upgrades! Haha!