Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maxxis DHR II

mtbr member

Maxxis DHR II

I noticed that Kevin (Dusty Bottoms) posted that super slick "Darth Vader' Podium and was running Maxxis DHR II on the rear ( Podium: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread ). Since I am looking for a rear tire (my high roller is not UST, and my DHF has a gash on the bead, so it wont seal, and makes me feel super sketchy).

This guy had lots of good things to say: Maxxis Minion DHR2 | Blister Gear Review ? Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing - The most honest, and in-depth reviews of ski, board, bike, and climbing equipment on the planet.

Has anyone heard good things about this tire? Kevin, you like it better than the High Roller?
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

RideDirt
    Heard it was way better then the regular HR , i was never a fan of the HR in the wet roots/rocks ... I used a big betty out back and it was great . My cousin has the DHRII coming in next week so i can give you an update then.

mtbr member
    I know some riders that have been swearing by that tire since last season.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Just roll it......
    I just threw one on my bike and will be racing with it in PA this weekend. Should know more after that.

EB

~~~~~~~~
    Some good discussion of the new HRII and DHR II on nsmb, this one is interesting,
    Oh hey, my tire is on PB - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

and if you do a search there you'll find some more good threads about the DHRII also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Oh I bet I know what it says w/o even reading. Is the dirt channel too narrow? No tire will ever be right for that one.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Holy hell, just checked the price, they better include a bj!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

$chwalby$ pricing

Lol, I actually like to hear more about that hr2 maxx terra, wonder if it lasts longer than the schwalbys...

Perpetual Hack
    Schwalbes you get directly from Germany - that takes the price sting out.

If I didn't have a boat-load of BB/MM I would like to try a pair of DHR2's

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've been rolling the "super tacky" DHR II prototypes since January with no issues. Good durability, nice transition from center to side knobs, and mounted tubeless to a Mavic 823 with Stans. I've ran pressues down to about 22 psi and have not felt the bead wanting to slip off the rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    I've been rolling the "super tacky" DHR II prototypes since January with no issues. Good durability, nice transition from center to side knobs, and mounted tubeless to a Mavic 823 with Stans. I've ran pressues down to about 22 psi and have not felt the bead wanting to slip off the rim.
    Are you running it in the rear or front and rear?

mtbr member
    Also, how is the sizing....is it one of the "truer" size maxxis such as the 2.5 Minnion EXO's or typical maxxis that runs a quarter inch + smaller than advertised? (seems like my last set of 2.5's on a 23mm inner rim was closer to 2.2 with a generous caliper to measure)

Perpetual Hack
    new moulds, so true to size.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Maxxis true to size, then a 2.4 sounds nice. Probably same as 2.5 dhf

~~~~~~~~
    new tires with 2.4 designation (HRII, DHR II) apparently are same size as old tires labeled 2.5, what's weird is the new 2.3's, if the 2.5's actual measurement was off 0.1 the old 2.35's was off by 0.05 and there is only 0.1 difference between the two? Haven't seen the new 2.3's yet and don't plan on running them anyway but eventually someone will do some measuring and post/discuss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Are you running it in the rear or front and rear?
    I'm running it on the rear.

mtbr member
    Maybe it was a bad batch but I had a pair of 2.4 HR II's about a year ago that we're both much closer to a 2.2 tread & casing width.

I like Maxxis but quit buying because I never knew what size I was really getting.

The HR II's I thought were a new mold & would be a true 2.4 but no luck for me.

I ran the Schwalbe muddy marry / big Betty combo last summer for DH but felt like while the MM traction was good the transition from center to side knobs was awkward. (& I'm not the best at leaning the bike). Looking for the next great heavy duty rubber.

Still considering the Dhf/r II or the Hans dampf super gravity.

~~~~~~~~
    Just got my first 2.4 in a 27.5 HRII and put the calipers on them. They are close to the same size 2.3 knob width, 2.2 casing as my 26 DHR and HR, maybe a hair smaller that could just be the rim difference. My 2.35 Hans Dampf are 2.35 knob and casing, but just don't have the railability or mud shedding I'm used to with my Maxxis tires. Having gone through a 2.7 phase and tried many different tires the sizing on the Maxxis has never bothered me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sounds like same old maxxis sizing then.. weak it's not 2.4 now, as stated. Maybe the DHR2 is true to size, probably not

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Sounds like same old maxxis sizing then.. weak it's not 2.4 now, as stated. Maybe the DHR2 is true to size, probably not
    Trimming the knobs adds .25"

~~~~~~~~
    The Maxxis size labeling is odd but I look at the compromises, I'm willing to accept the smaller size as weight, knobs, and durability, i.e. performance, are more important to me. More volume makes less of a difference to me than the other aspects I'm looking for. Whats funny is how this parallels the decisions I have to make with my surfboards, which are custom, but I'm not into customizing/trimming my tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for posting actual sizes. That maxx terra would total @100 from maxxis estore

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    not sure if this is of any help to you but crc are doing them for a reasonable price at the mo.
    Maxxis Minion DHR II Rear Tyre - Dual Ply | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    For clarity: are you running the 2-ply NON-UST versions?

I will be mounting to an 823 as well, and want it to mount without rim strips, and no-hassle (floor pump) With Stans. Thanks!
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    For clarity: are you running the 2-ply NON-UST versions?

I will be mounting to an 823 as well, and want it to mount without rim strips, and no-hassle (floor pump) With Stans. Thanks!
    This prototype did not specify UST or non-UST. The description from the engineer says, "60 TPI casing w/ EXO, Super Tacky compound and folding bead construction." So, I'd say it is not a UST tire, but works as a tubeless ready tire for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast