mtbr member

:( Mail service binned my Woodie said it was 'dangerous goods'

Major setback here, my Avalanche Woodie shock had a problem with the rebound knob (i knocked it against something) and when I put it in the post via (UK) Royal Mail to ship back to the US for service, the Royal Mail opened the box at the air terminal and deemed it dangerous goods!

I let out the air in the canister but they said the piggyback on the shock was a gas container and thus dangerous (end of story). Then, they disposed of it, my 600buck shock went into their bin. No consultation with me, no letter or phone call asking me about it, just straight into the bin with it and no getting it back!!!!!

I don't know what to do shock wise on the Chili now, obviously I have to replace it and its too risky getting an imported shock with these idiotic regulations...looks like a cane creek db coil or air cs.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Wow, that is brutal.

Would having had insurance on the package have helped?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Wow, that is brutal.

Would having had insurance on the package have helped?
    It was insured for the full amount, will try to claim, but i'm not exactly full of hope.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Elitest thrill junkie
    jesus christ, wtf? I'd be out for someone's head.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Wow,is the mail service run by nazis? That is unheard of,sorry man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    frenchy, sorry to hear that, what tossers. Do you think it might be a scam? That means no shocks with piggy backs can be posted....that's bollocks! Have you written a letter of complaint?

Can you not put the Kirk on the Chili?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    frenchy, sorry to hear that, what tossers. Do you think it might be a scam? That means no shocks with piggy backs can be posted....that's bollocks! Have you written a letter of complaint?

Can you not put the Kirk on the Chili?
    I don't know what to think of it tbh. Im going to complain and put a claim in. I'll keep the forum posted..

In theory your right no shocks at all can be posted.

I don't want to buy a second Kirk (tune for the Chili and Endo are different internally) until i've had more ride time on the Kirk on the Endo...its going to take a month or two to workout the kirks habits (ive only been riding it a week)...first impressions are good though...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah i think they brought in some ******** terror laws on restrictions on certian items that can be posted. i posted a digital camera to a mate of a mate in london and got questined like fook about it. the post office asked me if it contianed battaries, as they are now a banned item. i said im pretty sure it will have an intergrated batt considering its a digital camera, anyways it made it to its destination...
    did the post office ask what was in the box, and adivse on the risks of potential destrcution of banned items. if not then im pretty sure you should beable to claim. that what insurance is for. who deliverd the shock when it came from craig... use them to ship future goods. im not sure if these stupid regulations are royal mail only or accross the distribution network. col says they use fed ex in work, and they send all kinds of electric items containing batteries. they even ship to eire and the falklands with out any troubble. good luck hope you get a full refund, and some compo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    yeah i think they brought in some ******** terror laws on restrictions on certian items that can be posted. i posted a digital camera to a mate of a mate in london and got questined like fook about it. the post office asked me if it contianed battaries, as they are now a banned item. i said im pretty sure it will have an intergrated batt considering its a digital camera, anyways it made it to its destination...
    did the post office ask what was in the box, and adivse on the risks of potential destrcution of banned items. if not then im pretty sure you should beable to claim. that what insurance is for. who deliverd the shock when it came from craig... use them to ship future goods. im not sure if these stupid regulations are royal mail only or accross the distribution network. col says they use fed ex in work, and they send all kinds of electric items containing batteries. they even ship to eire and the falklands with out any troubble. good luck hope you get a full refund, and some compo.
    nice one thanks. I think it is just royal mail (as they are owned by the government)but I worry others will follow suit....when it came over from craigs way it was usps then parcelforce. ive been told private couriers are more likely to turn a blind eye / not check as thorough...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Looks like you are not the first either?

Royal mail have binned my rear shock! Singletrack Forum

Edit - skimming the article it looks like royal mail even auctions the seized items......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This is absolutely nuts....that puts posting anything that has a pressurised can at risk: forks, shocks, complete bikes. What are the rules with other shippers like TNT etc.?

Frenchy, what happened with yours?

mtbr member
    There's nothing you can do. The form they ask you to fill in for the insurance claim is geared towards 'lost or damaged' in transit and return it to you saying what happened is your fault and not covered by insurance. I spoke to the post office prat who took it originally and he said he took it in good faith (i.e. that it wasnt dangerous) and smiled at me. The people on the end of the phone at dangerous goods were rude arrogant and wouldn't try to understand the technicalities. You just keep hitting brick walls.

I had to buy a CCDB Coil from TF tuned.

They cost me 500+ bucks and can be held directly responsible for me not making it on holiday this festive season (I was trying to organise a flight over to AZ with the Chili at the time) as I couldn't book a flight when I wanted, the flights doubled in price by the time I got the shock sorted out.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    This is some bull. Do all carriers do this(DHL, UPS, etc.), or just the Royal Mail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've sent the file to the Guardian Newspaper and suggested to them that they investigate possible theft by RM. Let's see what happens. Worth a try.

I'm still drinking that Oban, so I'm getting a bit subversive.

mtbr member
    Lets blame it on the queen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    I've sent the file to the Guardian Newspaper and suggested to them that they investigate possible theft by RM. Let's see what happens. Worth a try.

I'm still drinking that Oban, so I'm getting a bit subversive.
    Cheers! I'm going to keep an eye on it, maybe, in time, some big firm will sue them and the people ripped off will one day get back whats due to them...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    why cant they just return the item back to the sender if they deem it unsuitable for shipping, to take it and destroy it, or sell it on via their auction site seems very unfair in my opinion,,, not a good way to run a company,
    chris, where is the dangerouse goods place/office based at.. id be paying them fooooookers a visit. demanding some answers and a refund + compo, and maybe some blood and a few teeth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    why cant they just return the item back to the sender if they deem it unsuitable for shipping, to take it and destroy it, or sell it on via their auction site seems very unfair in my opinion,,, not a good way to run a company,
    chris, where is the dangerouse goods place/office based at.. id be paying them fooooookers a visit. demanding some answers and a refund + compo, and maybe some blood and a few teeth.
    I agree with everything you say, just nothing the average joe can do about it without gambling large sums of cash on legal action.

It sucks but im not letting them wind me up, that would make the sad fools happier no doubt...all I can do is stopping using their services, they've lost a customer permanently unless at some point in time they admit their mistake.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Perpetual Hack
    I'd be on the fvcking warpath.

Calls, emails and letters to everybody and anybody I can think of

Flood RM with correspondence.
    News Outlets.
    CRC and any other online retailer, service depot
    Local MP
    Consumer Ombudsman or UK equivalent.
    BBB and other consumer organizations.

I would also give them the info in two distinct parts.
    1st would be your direct experiences and steps taken with as much documentation as possible ( ie timeline, e-mails etc)
    2nd would be the communities investigative results - the possible e-bay connection, the selling of goods for profit etc etc

Spread the word, be a pain in their azz and create as much shiat for them as possible

Bastards.
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .