Perpetual Hack

Magic Mary + DT FR600 + Gorilla Tape +?? first time ghetto tubless

Looking at trying tubless this year on the big bike.
    Just ordered a pair of Magic Mary Super Gravity, Trailstar for the rear and Vertstar for the front.

(42.31 US$ / 46.69 Cdn each at todays exchange from bike-components.de.)

Looked at various tubeless tapes, inserts etc...
    Thinking I am just going to try Gorilla Tape as I already have a couple of rolls.

Anybody running FR600's tubeless? If so how ya doin it?

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Wow, that's an insane price. I might pick me up a set, not entirely stoked on my Maxxis set up.

I've got those rims, and ran the old Muddy Mary's (DH bead) tubeless with no issues at all, with Stan's tape and valves.

Last summer I tried a High Roller 2 and Minion DHR, both DH beads. The HR2 set up fine tubeless, the DHF wouldn't at all, even with a compressor etc. So it's got a tube in it.

I think Dusty Bottoms runs his FR600's like mine as well.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

U $ 4 O?
    Crazy price, if it compares to the muddy mary (never tried fr casing tubeless) gonna have to try the magic.. Saw a new model that looked interesting too, had a double chamber inside
    ©

mtbr member
    Your gonna love them tyres Mykel, Ive been out on the Vertstar Magic Mary (on the front of my Podium) all week in the foulest of UK weather and the grip is phenomenal in mud, wet rocks/shale/roots.

The sidewalls are so tough you can roll on pavement without air in the tube without damaging the tyre (don't ask how i found this out).

Im running it as low as 18 psi on the track. But have to pump it up to about 35-40psi for the tarmac to and from the trails (7 miles each way) at which pressure it rolls great, any lower and its chewing gum on the pavement.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

Perpetual Hack
    The double chamber stuff is interesting
    No tube required, but you need two valve holes in your rims.
    From what I understand the outer chamber next to the tread is pressurized to about 15 lbs
    The inner chamber is then pressurized as "normal"
    Weight is about 200 grams, so about the same as a HD tube.

Supposed to be a bit more coming in the spring.

I love the DH Muddy Mary's I have now, but I'm really looking forward to the Super Gravity casing, and their ability to mould the tread better to the terrain whilst leaving the DH sidewalls for support and toughness.

One more question...

What would people recommend for a rear tire for a bit more speed?
    My "normal" setup is a MuddyMary up front and a MM or BigBetty in the rear depending upon conditions
    However, the small side knobs on the Betty are the weakpoint. I can rip them halfway through in one day of hard in the dry riding.
    I get the same type of feeling about the HansDampf that I have on my trail wheels. The side knobs are just not enough to keep from rolling over.
    This has stopped me looking at the HD for a possible rear for the really dry days of summer. Maybe I will just stay with the Magic on both ends...

Cheers!

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post

One more question...

My "normal" setup is a MuddyMary up front and a MM or BigBetty in the rear depending upon conditions
    However, the small side knobs on the Betty are the weakpoint. I can rip them halfway through in one day of hard in the dry riding.
    I get the same type of feeling about the HansDampf that I have on my trail wheels. The side knobs are just not enough to keep from rolling over.
    This has stopped me looking at the HD for a possible rear for the really dry days of summer. Maybe I will just stay with the Magic on both ends...

Cheers!

michael
    I'm running the DHRII on the rear. Less rolling resistance than the MM. I leave it at 25psi for on and off the track. Only need to adjust the pressure of the MM on the front as per above.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    The double chamber stuff is interesting
    No tube required, but you need two valve holes in your rims.
    From what I understand the outer chamber next to the tread is pressurized to about 15 lbs
    The inner chamber is then pressurized as "normal"
    Weight is about 200 grams, so about the same as a HD tube.

Supposed to be a bit more coming in the spring.

I love the DH Muddy Mary's I have now, but I'm really looking forward to the Super Gravity casing, and their ability to mould the tread better to the terrain whilst leaving the DH sidewalls for support and toughness.

One more question...

Cheers!

michael
    Have you tried the Conti Trail King out back? Sticky rubber, rolls well and doesn't shed knobs.

I'm with you on the Schwalbes - I like the treads and rubber, but my BB has no transition knobs anymore!

Knomer
    Few thoughts:

- I've run FR600's (and many other rims) tubeless using Stan's wide rim tape. I'm sure Gorilla tape works fine as well. I've been running all my wheels tubeless for about a dozen years, and find that the key is compressed air to pop the bead on, and then shake the wheel in your hands to get the liquid latex to go EVERYWHERE inside the tire.

- Another tip: If you can mount the tire without a lever or very easily with a lever, don't ride it tubeless. This was always the issue with Maxxis folding bead non-tubeless tires, but can be an issue with ANY brand, and even with tires marketed as tubeless or tubeless ready.

- Schwalbe: Trailstar wears fast and sticks better, Pacestar lasts longer but is a harder compound. I prefer Pacestar.

- Magic Mary vs Hans D: The HD has transition knobs, the Mary doesn't, so the Mary has some drift before the side lugs hook up. The side lugs on the Mary have gussets on the outside providing excellent cornering support, the HD does not. So it all comes down to personal preference: if you can handle some drift when you begin a turn, you will like the Mary in corners. If you want a more consistent feel as you begin your turns, choose the HD.

- I've always scratched my head at the concept of a 'fast rolling rear tire'. As far as I can tell, the rear tire will always only roll as fast as the front tire, and vice versa, am I crazy? In what situations would the rear tire rotate more times than the front, assuming both wheels are on the ground looking for traction? Anyway, haha, just an observation.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Running Magic Mary's 650b Trailstar on the front (Chilcotin), great tyre, grips loads in the mud. Conti RQ's in the back.

mtbr member
    Slightly off topic, but is Stan's still the best all around sealant? I keep getting the Stan's "boogers" with my setups, so just wondering if there's a better option.

Read some good things about the Continental (I think it was) sealant, but it's kinda pricey.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but is Stan's still the best all around sealant? I keep getting the Stan's "boogers" with my setups, so just wondering if there's a better option.

Read some good things about the Continental (I think it was) sealant, but it's kinda pricey.
    Also curious about this. I know there is a relatively new player Orange Seal, but not sure how the product performs.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

- I've always scratched my head at the concept of a 'fast rolling rear tire'. As far as I can tell, the rear tire will always only roll as fast as the front tire, and vice versa, am I crazy? In what situations would the rear tire rotate more times than the front, assuming both wheels are on the ground looking for traction? Anyway, haha, just an observation.
    Yip, mad as a box of frogs

The drag from the rear depends on how weight is distributed between the wheels and by how much either tyre slows its wheel from turning due to friction with the pavement. Is simple math: 2 x lots of friction > 1 x lots of friction + 1 x a little friction.

Its about how quick the tyres (combined) contribute to slowing you down when you stop pedalling.

U $ 4 O?
    TS compound Muddy Mary was real slug out back if you have to do any climbs (I always do), rear Trail King felt like less resistance climbing in tacky dirt
    ©