Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Made the Switch

Knollician

Made the Switch

I ended up making the change to a coil fork, more specifically a 2013 Marzocchi 55 Rc3Ti Evo V2. I only have a few rides on it in stock condition as I have an Avy cartridge coming for it in a few weeks. Here are my initial thoughts.

Out of the box, the fork looks great, not that it really matters, but it helps. The fork weighed 5.5lbs uncut with axle. The brake mount was nicely machined, making brake alignment a breeze. The steerer is nice and thick, I didn't measure but I believe it is thicker than the Lyrik. The knobs are finished nicely, and compared to previous generation Marz forks, they are easy on the hands and there is no binding to speak of.

I set the fork up with a few clicks of coil preload, 5 click of compression (11 total) and several clicks of rebound (I didn't count how many there are total). I set the compression based on the some previous info I read which shows the LSC/HSC curve of the fork. My understanding is that the RC3 damper works best somewhere near the middle. The fork does have just a bit of stiction at the top of the stroke, but once the fork is activated it is no longer an issue. The reminds me of my Marz forks of past, which disappeared after 10-15 hours of break in. The fork is super smooth out of the box, and everything is as expected after 2 rides. No sloppy bushings, no creaks or noises to speak of. I have not measured the oil in the damper since I will be disassembling the fork in a few weeks, but I can get full travel by weighting the front of the bike and bouncing on the fork. It does ramp up nicely as well. The coil side had maybe 5ml of oil, so I put in 75mls to hold me over for a few weeks.

The Chili now weighs 33lb 6oz, which is incredible considering it is full coil, and a sensible build. The day one ride was up Kiwanis, down Geronimo to Cochise. For those that were here for Knollfest, you know this trail. Slower, techy, steep with a few tricky switchbacks. The fork performed very well here. It stayed higher in its travel which made the switchbacks a bit more difficult as my center of gravity was slightly higher. The higher ride height was much appreciated when hitting some of the larger hits as I had more available travel. Overall, I was pretty happy with the fork on this type of trail.

Today's ride was up Kiwanis, down Holbert. I ride Holbert at least once a week, so I know this trail well. Unlike Cochise, this is a much faster trail with lots of square edge hits. I was not quite as impressed with the fork here. Clearly, the Lyrik with Avy is much better at higher speeds and square hits. It seems as though the HSC is a bit harsh. Not enough to be bad, but certainly not Avy good. The 55 performed well, especially for a stock fork, but it can't compete with Craig's magic. Obviously there are some setup changes which may make the 55 feel better in stock mode, but I would not expect them to be as dramatic as the change to an Avy. Another thing I was rather disappointed in with the 55 is the rebound. if feels average at best, meaning one click seemed to fast, the next to slow. Nothing that I couldn't easily adjust to over time though.

Overall, pretty impressed by what the 55 is, but I would still take the Lyrik/Avy combo over this in stock form, shocker I know. However, this fork with an Avy....could be a game changer. I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Pretty fork

IMG_0502

Not usually one for decals, but these are nice

IMG_0504
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Nice Review.

Riding the Chunk Monkey now? That rear looks almost destroyed already. Inexpensive tire though. BTW just got back from Whistler and some folks were on the newest 888 and loving it.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Nice looking fork Brandon. Glad you're liking it so far.

I'm digging your old avy'd lyric. I've had kind of the opposite experience at least comparing it to the Float. The Lyric is brilliant in slower Cochise/goat camp type tech but I've found the rebound a bit too slow for high speed chunk.

Is it externally adjustable at all or is it preset internally?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does it handle better than the last Zoke you had?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

I'm digging your old avy'd lyric. I've had kind of the opposite experience at least comparing it to the Float. The Lyric is brilliant in slower Cochise/goat camp type tech but I've found the rebound a bit too slow for high speed chunk.

Hey Kent,

Glad the fork is working out for you. The rebound is adjustable with a flat head screwdriver on the top of the fork (the gold top piece). The LSC is also adjustable at the bottom of the fork, you will need a small screwdriver for that. I prefer a slower rebound, so it is not a surprise that the stock setting may feel a bit slow. There are 22 clicks of rebound, and it is set in the middle, so you should be able to find a suitable setting.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    Does it handle better than the last Zoke you had?
    The A2C on this fork is only 1mm taller than the Lyrik, and I don't notice the offset as much. This is probably due to the more flexible setup of the Chili, where the gen 1 Endo was maxed out with a 160 fork, so the offset and 3 or 4mm taller A2C was noticeable.

The V2 damper feels better than the original RC3 damper in the 2010 model I had. It's been a while since I have ridden the Lyrik with the stock damper, but my guess is that I would prefer the 55 over the Lyrik. My guess is that this fork is going to feel great with the Avy.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Nice Review.

Riding the Chunk Monkey now? That rear looks almost destroyed already. Inexpensive tire though. BTW just got back from Whistler and some folks were on the newest 888 and loving it.
    The CMs have been great, they are the original set I put on back in April. The front is still in excellent condition, I expect at least another 4 months from it, and the rear is just about toast, but traction remains excellent. I suspect the tire will die soon of a major carcass puncture since there are no knobs to protect it. 4 months from a rear tire here is excellent,. I normally see 2-3 months before a tire is done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    The A2C on this fork is only 1mm taller than the Lyrik, and I don't notice the offset as much. This is probably due to the more flexible setup of the Chili, where the gen 1 Endo was maxed out with a 160 fork, so the offset and 3 or 4mm taller A2C was noticeable.

The V2 damper feels better than the original RC3 damper in the 2010 model I had. It's been a while since I have ridden the Lyrik with the stock damper, but my guess is that I would prefer the 55 over the Lyrik. My guess is that this fork is going to feel great with the Avy.
    Did you have the RC2DH Lyrik?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Did you have the RC2DH Lyrik?
    Yep, prior to changing out to the Avy.

IMG_3787

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Always appreciate your reviews. Look forward to the follow up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

i'd be surprised myself if you can get any appreciable change in the high speed rebound action. Avalanche's cartridges are adjustable externally by the rider for low speed action, the high speed action is as you might have suspected, handled by the preset valves that you can change if you take them out & reshim.

if in doubt, you know who to call
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Very nice!

Were you not able to find the parts to convert the Lyrik from air to coil or did you want to try something different?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    Very nice!

Were you not able to find the parts to convert the Lyrik from air to coil or did you want to try something different?
    Thanks Luca. I was able to find the parts through one of LBSs, but the total cost, including have Craig re-shim the damper, would have been about $350. For about $100 more I got a new fork, and one in which I have wanted to try for a while. Craig had high praises for the 55. I was highly concerned about the spring rate, especially since there are no other spring options. We all know how the air preload degrades the performance, but Craig told me the new, heavier spring is perfect for about 200lb riders (my RTR weight), and he was right. Only a few clicks of preload gets me 25% sag, the small bump performance s excellent. I expect it will get better once everything breaks in and after I replace the damper with the Avy.

Honestly, I had sellers remorse when selling the Lyrik. After a few rides with the 55, I think I will be OK. Both rides this weekend would have been better on the Lyrik, however I suspect the 55 will be as good as the Lyrik, with the advantage of Marzocchi's legendary coil feel. I am still concerned about the long term reliability if the fork as I had an 08 66 that was troublesome. Amazing how long that sticks with you.

Its been a long time since I have ridden a coil fork, and it feels rather unique. I do like the mid stroke of the coil, works well with my Chili setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Hey Kent,

Glad the fork is working out for you. The rebound is adjustable with a flat head screwdriver on the top of the fork (the gold top piece). The LSC is also adjustable at the bottom of the fork, you will need a small screwdriver for that. I prefer a slower rebound, so it is not a surprise that the stock setting may feel a bit slow. There are 22 clicks of rebound, and it is set in the middle, so you should be able to find a suitable setting.
    Oh ok. Thanks. I thought that was the compression. No wonder changing that had no effect on compression.

So is the compression adjustment screw up inside the red nut on the bottom of the right fork leg?

mtbr member
    I'm surprised one of the avy adopters went with a non avy fork. is the plan to put a cartridge in the 55 as well?

Knollician
    Oh ok. Thanks. I thought that was the compression. No wonder changing that had no effect on compression.

So is the compression adjustment screw up inside the red nut on the bottom of the right fork leg?
    That is correct. You need a smaller screwdriver to get up in there. I had the LSC compression (HSC is preset by Craig) and rebound set right in the middle, which is how Craig specs it.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    I'm surprised one of the avy adopters went with a non avy fork. is the plan to put a cartridge in the 55 as well?
    Of course, I ordered it right after I purchased the fork Craig is a bit backed up right now, so it will take a few more days before I get it. Not a chance I am riding a non-Avy'd fork or shock on the Chili.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    i'd be surprised myself if you can get any appreciable change in the high speed rebound action. Avalanche's cartridges are adjustable externally by the rider for low speed action, the high speed action is as you might have suspected, handled by the preset valves that you can change if you take them out & reshim.
    Either I ride really slowly or I think 1 or 2 clicks out on the LSR will be a world of difference for KRob. On my 66 the trail went from bumpy to smooth with just 2 clicks. I was amazed. Until then, I had never had a fork change so much with only a slight adjustment.

LSC is on the bottom. LSR is on the top. I learned this the hard way. I'm used to rebound being on the bottom.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice fork. Was wondering have you ever tried the bos deville? I have one and was curious as to how it performs to the forks you've used.

Anyway i'll be sending my 180mm fox talas to get the avy cartridge soon. Once on the chilli I hope it's going to be beastly!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Nice fork. Was wondering have you ever tried the bos deville?
    I have never tried a BOS product. You won't be disappointed with Craig's work.

mtbr member
    Nice Brandon. I do like your graphics more than mine.

One thing I'd recommend, is to zip tie your front brake cable to the arch somehow. On mine, it rubbed some of the paint off the left side of arch from movement.

Look forward to hearing what you think when the Avy is installed. Remember when you rebuild it to take out the foam rings under the seals if it has them.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Tom I had a deville and a 2011 55 RC3 ti on my chilcotin. Obviously deville is a lot lighter and the best feeling air fork I've owned (have had several 36s and a lyrik rc3 dh). 55 plusher and better suited to hard charging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Tom I had a deville and a 2011 55 RC3 ti on my chilcotin. Obviously deville is a lot lighter and the best feeling air fork I've owned (have had several 36s and a lyrik rc3 dh). 55 plusher and better suited to hard charging.
    i see you have your chili up for sale. what are you riding now?

mtbr member
    Sorry for thread derailment. I am on a Mach 5.7c that I got for cost. Chilcotin was just too much bike for me and at 5'11" I got a medium which has always felt a little too small. I was going to pull the trigger on an Endo once the Chili sells but now am intrigued by the Warden.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Sorry for thread derailment. I am on a Mach 5.7c that I got for cost. Chilcotin was just too much bike for me and at 5'11" I got a medium which has always felt a little too small. I was going to pull the trigger on an Endo once the Chili sells but now am intrigued by the Warden.
    EXACTLY my situation! Pm me when you come to conclusion please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast