mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Lowered Totem SoloAir On DT?

I currently ride a Trek Session 77 but am looking to swap my parts to a new frame. The Delirium T caught my eye. However, I have a Totem SoloAir on my Session and love it. If I went with the DT would the Totem be too much with 180mm of travel? If so, I could always lower it, which would take it down to 165mm. Also, has anyone actually ridden a DT with a Totem?

shorelinecycleworld.com
    Dec 2007

I do not think it would.

I run 180mm on my DT and love it. The frames geometry is made for forks from 140mm to 170, but I have not noticed any difference. (I used to run a 170mm) You would have no problems with that fork. We have a customer running that same fork on a frame we got for him. He has told us it is perfect.

Hope this helps. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

mtbr member
    There are a large number of people with 180mm forks on the DT. I run a '08 66 ATA on my DT and think the geometry is spot on.

I picked the 66 over the Totem for the travel adjustment because I was worried it would be too slack. (the head angle with a 180mm fork in the steepest setting is around 67 degrees or maybe slightly less). My worries were unfounded...

I have rarely touched the travel adjustment even on flat XC trails and probably could have done with out it (considering UPS brought my fork back today after its second trip back to Marz for warranty work in the last 6 weeks I definitely could have done with out the travel adjust)

Noel can correct if I'm wrong, but the website is a little out of date and a 180mm SC fork is Knolly approved for the DT.

Bye the way, its an incredible bike. Get one.

mtbr member
    Hello freerideordie!

Yes, as others have said, 180mm will be totally fine on the Delirium T: Like string posted, I also run a 66 ATA and we have lots of customers running 180mm 66 RC-3s and Totems on these frames as well.

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

66 Ata

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm assuming that's an '08 66 ATA (I believe that's the only year it carried that moniker). I've been trolling the boards observing a number of anecdotal reports of high failure rates on the '08 Marzocchis. Unfortunately, the search function is limited and doesn't recognize 66 or ATA so I simply sift through the various forums. I also notice a number of issues with all manufacturers, and most of the problems occur on the new 55 series. Since you have experience with a far greater cross-section of the fork's users, have you determined if the issues are significantly more common than those of Fox or RS?

I should mention that I am the happy owner of an '07 66 SL and am looking for a new fork for a D-T as well. I had hoped to go with a 66 ATA but I'm slightly weary due to the aforementioned reports/threads. Thanks.

JT

mtbr member
    I can speak to the issues I had with mine (and throw in some opinion as well). The issues I have had with my 08 66 ATA are (round 1) stuck down fork and rebound knob that never worked...both problems occurred out of the box and (round 2) leaking air pressure between the ATA and PAR chambers. Both fixes per Marz USA were to replace the ATA seal kit. Its a nice fork when it works, but thats about all I can say. We will see if the second round of repairs holds.

....And now the opionion part. It seems like every year one of the fork makers has more problems than the rest. Fox had some issues with the early Talas Forks and RS had problems with Lyrik and Totem 2 Step. This year Marz seems to be getting the press (at least on MTBR) for fork failures on the 55 and 66 ATA. Of' course all manufactures have some failures, but Marz seems to be notably higher.

Considering Marz USA is now posting on the shock board, other failures I have heard about, and the problems I have had with my fork with 2 failures in 6 weeks, I think Marz has some problems this year (and yes I am a little biased at the moment). The concept of the 66 ATA is good and when working it is a great fork, I just would be a little cautious about buying one at the present.

I would stick with your 07 66 SL if its working and wait for '09 (or at least late '08 for the forks to see if the quality control improves). Or buy a Totem Solo Air or 66 coil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

thanks

Thanks for the reply string -- your DT build/review thread was among the reasons I am so gun-shy at this point. Currently, the '07 66 SL is on another bike, and therein lies my dilemma; if I were to move it off my other bike, my #1 choice for that rig would be a 55 ATA which is another no-no at this point. Maybe the most viable option is to slide the 66 SL over to the DT and go with a 36 or Lyric for the other frame instead.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Yep, had problems with my 66 ATA and my 08 55 ATA is going back. Forks that expensive should not have these kinds of problems.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for all the input. Sounds like the Totem will work well with the Delirium. Now I just have to get rid of my Session first.

mtbr member
    I wish I could say go for it, but there are legitimate concerns about the 2008 66 ATA. Its a great fork when it works; but its a gamble at best. For what its worth, Marz has been pleasant to deal with and had around 7 to 10 day (including round trip shipping) turn around plus they payed for overnight shipping both ways.

A stable with your existing 66 and a 36 or Lyric would be fun IMO. If you can run the same steerer size you can always move them back and forth as needed. Plus the head angle adjustment of the DT gives you some flexibility (another one of the DT benefits).

Funny, with my DT being down for two weekends waiting on the fork I rode my 2003 Foes FXR with the Pike and it felt like a XC bike. The snappiness was fun, but I did bottom hard a few times. It makes me want to add an Endorphin to the stable as a second bike. This could be an expensive addiction.

Mtbr Knolly member
    Jan 2008
    I have finished my DT with a Totem on it. I just finished the final set-up and will be going on the cherry popping ride tomorrow. Mostly AM and FR where i am riding so we will see. I live in MA so not alot of long climbs but lots of step, short, technical climbs.

So far just riding it around my house (couple of short step climbs out back) it seems to pedal as well as my '08 Stumpy FSR (minus the BRAIN of course) just with a shorter top tube and more solid feel. I can't wait to see what it does at the local Freeride trails.
    Ride Fast! Take Chances!