Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Perpetual Hack

Looks like I am Karma's B i t c h...

I'm thinking I must have kicked puppies in a previous life, and Karma is having her way with me.

A little update to what I have been upto...

As I've mentioned before, I went back to school (IT upgrading) back in Oct of 2012.
    In June last summer a guy in a pickup turned left in front of me and I t-boned him at 60mph.
    I walked away with a concussion, broken sternum, cracked ribs and a few bruises. Car was totaled.
    Due to memory, concentration issues, on Dr. orders, I took a break from school.
    Instead of graduating at the end of August, I returned to class at the beginning of September with a March graduation date.
    So fast forward to November 27th and Karma decided I needed another shot of redemption.
    Again, coming home from school, a little after 6pm, in the dark on rural road during a snow-squall.... What do you think I found?
    Yup that's right, a Holstein cow - I found the farmers lost black and white cow standing in the middle of the road after dark in a snowstorm.
    Go figure - ya just can't write this stuff...
    Result, re-broke my sternum, bruising and an aggravated concussion, and another totaled car....but again I walked away.

However, I have just received a 3 month break from school, that is past graduation, so I've been withdrawn and no diploma
    Also got a date with a CT scanner and a referral to the brain injury clinic at Parkwood hospital in London Canada.

At this point memory, concentration, comprehension are impaired again, but worse than the first time.
    The good news is I have a few months to heal t before the thaw and riding season.

Now my question...

I need to replace my Giro Remedy Carbon FF.

Do the Knomers have an opinion on what I should look at for a new Full-face...

At this point the only thing on the list is the venerable TLD D3.
    Have wanted one since I tried one on at Snowshoe a couple of years ago...
    It was on sale, and I decided I not to spend the extra cash and walked out without it....

So, gimme yer suggestions!

michael
    Last edited by mykel; 01-10-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Perpetual Hack
    Not the best pictures but all I have on the 'puter at the moment.

First is the June 5th and the second is November 27th

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a fox rampage pro carbon and in my opinion it's better than the TLD hands down. So much more comfortable and it feels like it breathes better.

mtbr member
    I fit great in a TLD D3 and am in between sizes in a Fox Rampage Pro carbon. Try a few helmets on and see which one fits your noggin better. They will all protect you as long as they stay on and don't move.

Hopefully this is the end of this stream of bad luck and things start looking up for you!

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I have a fox rampage pro carbon and in my opinion it's better than the TLD hands down. So much more comfortable and it feels like it breathes better.
    +1.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Jeez mykel, I'm glad you're OK. Not to go OT on you but, couldn't you do an online program to finish school?

mtbr member
    I am reasonably sure all of the top of the line FF helmets are great. Get the one that fits best and shop around for a great price.

Sorry to hear of your string of bad luck. Heal quickly and may Karma finally smile upon you - not one of those evil grins, but a genuine, kind smile!

mtbr member
    You seem like a stand up guy. Bad Karma is not what this is. Just S4!t luck. Keep bouncing back. In the end, after you finish school, you will look back and feel better about completing even after the additional obstacles.
    Sorry, I don't have any input on full face helmet. But felt like chiming in on this anyway. Best of luck...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    mykel, wow that was really bad luck. Heal up quick, man.

As for FF on my list would be POC mips, Sweet mips, Kali, TLD3 and Fox carbon.

mtbr member
    hope you have a speedy recovery mykel!

Bell are making top drawer helmets, that's what im buying next when my 661 gets totalled.

Bell Full 9 Full Face Helmet - Tweeks Cycles

Bell Transfer-9 Full Face Helmet - Tweeks Cycles
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    w/ your Karma, i'd get one of each helmet, & wear the fullface while your driving
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Experience from years in the moto industry has me - well I will not buy anything (gear) with FOX on it ...

mtbr member
    No suggestions either. Sorry. But wanted to say seal up and sorry for your bad luck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    No suggestions either. Sorry. But wanted to say seal up and sorry for your bad luck!!
    661 makes good gear wilks.... :-/
    currently with POC lid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    Experience from years in the moto industry has me - well I will not buy anything (gear) with FOX on it ...
    Fox (tail) the suspension company or Fox (head) the clothing and body armour company - or both? And why?

Actually, I get why not to buy Fox suspension, but why not Fox clothing/pads/helmets?
    Last edited by Herzalot; 01-12-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    Fox the suspension company (tail) or Fox the clothing (and helmet) company (head) - or both? And why?

Actually, I get why not to buy Fox suspension, but why not Fox clothing/pads/helmets?
    wow can of worms LOL
    just my personal experience is I will not hesitate spending my hard earned $ on FOX suspension components. Pros & cons here but I run FOX suspension & just like any suspension components they need personalized work if you feel you need the speed & control.
    FOX clothing, apparel & any other FOX branded crap is just that crap - most is made with shoddy materials cheaply & simply do not have the quality, durability, fit or finish. Back in the 90's it wasnt that bad but when they started pushing their crap at every ambercrombie & fitch & skate shop the above has been the norm.
    dont beleive me? Buy a FOX helmet & Bell,POC,661 & swap them every ride this summer. At the end of the summer let us know if the helmets are ready for a 2nd year...

good luck ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am going to go out on a limb and say it has nothing to do with karma and more to do with your driving habits. The cow especially is 100% your bad. Could be your eye sight, speed, level of attention, but something you did caused that accident.

That said, heal fast!

mtbr member
    Good to hearr you're okay. D3 all the way. It is all about fit, though. The D3 just fits me snugly and makes me feel safe when I'm hucking, not too mention it is designed to fit the Leatt. Some of the others make the Leatt more apparent when riding the steeps.

Most helmets nowadays are up to standards.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sorry to hear about your run of **** luck,,, heal quick bro,,, im not going to speculate on your crashes or driving habbits ect as i dont know any of the facts, and its to easy to prejudge,,,,,
    as for helmets like the others have said, its about personal fit,,,, i didnt get on well with the d3, it felt uncomfartable, so i went with a fox rampage carbon,,, before that i had a 661 evolution carbon, had that for 5 years, it served me well.
    comparing it to the fox rampage though, it felt cheap and flimsy,,, the fox just feels so much sturdier and tougher. like it offers more protection,,,,
    my brother had a the, helmet before his fox rampage carbon, again he had it for 5 years, and really liked it. but he prefares his rampage....
    good luck with your choice,,, good luck with your recovery, and good luck with your school/graduation.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    At this point memory, concentration, comprehension are impaired again, but worse than the first time.
    The good news is I have a few months to heal t before the thaw and riding season.
    Non knomer chiming in.... I am sure you have gotten the lecture already but take 'er easy with the noggin!
    I've had multiple concussions (3 in 2 years most recently)....each one definitely gets worse. and it takes less of a hit to trigger the effects once you've got a history.

Simple: whatever it is that puts you at risk- stop doing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    hope you have a speedy recovery mykel!

Bell are making top drawer helmets, that's what im buying next when my 661 gets totalled.

Bell Full 9 Full Face Helmet - Tweeks Cycles

Bell Transfer-9 Full Face Helmet - Tweeks Cycles
    Yes to the above. I just bought the BELL FULL 9. Perfect fit, excellent quality. Fit is so individual, however, so trying them on is the only way to go. I've had to return too many helmets purchased online because they didn't fit right. For me, the Bell Full 9 was hands down the best.

si vis pacem...
    +1 for the D3. I had a Giro Remedy before I got my D3 and it was a solid helmet but not even close to the fit or quality of the D3. I also have a POC Cortex and it's a nice helmet but just doesn't fit as well as the D3.

mtbr member
    I recently bought a new helmet. Ended up with a POC MIPS. I don't care too much about anything but safety. The POC MIPS was the best I could find (and fit me right). I also only buy helmets with ear slots, as 1.) it helps with balance and 2.) there is increased perception of speed (much like going fast in a convertible vs a Mercedes)

Heal up, and take it easy if you can.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Best fit for me so far has been a TLD D2/D3. Makes my 661 Carbon feel like a toy. The KALI/Fox didn't fit me so well.

Perpetual Hack
    Thanks guys....

...bout what I figured - all the top helmets are in the same league.
    So I guess it comes down to fit as always.

The D3 felt amazing compared to the Remedy, and the Remedy fits quite nice.
    The only issue I had at the time, was wondering if it was a bit too loose, being brand new and not broken in - was tight but...?
    I remember driving the recliner at home with the brand new Remedy on whilst watching TV to get the padding to conform. Seems that was tighter to start.
    Will have to make a trip to da city and try on a bunch of stuff.

As far as riding goes, I guess if I have to ride at 2/3 to 3/4 and no longer push it hard, then that is what I will do. Did it this summer, just cruised. At first it was a bit hard to not let it go, brand new Podium and all, but after a bit I was ok with it - just worked on form and having fun as opposed go keeping up with my racer infested crew.

As for hitting the cow, yup, totally my fault, was a great crop tour, just should have not turned at left at Albuquerque. That snowstorm was a real biatch.
    Seiously now, when the cow first coaleced out of the swirling snow, it was standing directly head on, smallest profile, and at first all you saw was head, center mass and legs, I thought it was a person - scared the living sh it out of me. Was on the horn and brakes, but it did not move - then just before hitting it, realized it was a cow and started to duck down. I was travelling at 60kph before braking - hit the cow at about 30kph by my guess. Very glad I ducked, otherwise it could have been a lot worse.

One thing though - I can confirm cows are HEAVY!! Just glad it did not die on impact and was able to get up off of me - that was not the most comfortable I have been...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast