Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KS Lev sizing

TSC
    Buehliever

KS Lev sizing

Sorry for being so verbose. I’m trying to make this so you can figure everything out on your own.

Please: I put a hell of a lot of time into this. I didn’t call KS and do this write-up for me—I already had it figured out. Help me understand if projects like this are worth my time by giving this post a “pos rep” if it helped you. I like to be helpful; but if I'm wasting my time I would really like to know. I have lots of other things I could do.
    Potential Problem
    You don’t want a seat post that extends past your maximum riding height; else hitting the button will raise the seat too high.

Preventing Potential Problem
    1) Using the seat you will put on your Lev, the seat collar you will use with your Lev, and your current seatpost, set your seat to the highest height you will use.

2) Measure the distance from your seat collar on your frame to your seat rail.

3) In the table below select the Lev that is lower than the “Min Extended Rail Height” you calculated in step #2. Note: These numbers lack any “fudge factor”; so be sure not select a post that is longer the “Min Extended Rail Height” you calculated in step #2. A few mm too short is much better than a few mm too tall.

4) If don’t ride with your seat slammed against the frame (e.g. perhaps you like pressing your thigh against the seat for control so you keep it up a bit higher) then do these additional steps:
    a) Using the seat you will put on your Lev, the seat collar you will use with your Lev, and your current seatpost, set your seat to the lowest height you will use.

b) Measure the distance from your seat collar on your frame to the center of your seat rail.

c) Take the difference of the highest height you will use measurement (from step #2) and the lowest height you will (from step #4b).

d) Using your results from step #4c, select the Lev with the closest “Travel”. If you are between two seatpost travel lengths, discard any post that has a “Min Extended Rail Height” greater than the highest height you will use (calculated in step #2). If neither post has a “Min Extended Rail Height” greater than the highest height you will use then you have two options:
    i) If you value the lowest height you use more than the highest height you use then choose the longer of the two lengths. That will give you the closest match to highest height you will use.

ii) If you value the highest height you use more than the lowest height you use then either length will work. If you select the longer travel Lev then your bottom seat position will be “that” much lower (“that” being seatpost travel minus the results from #4c). If you select the shorter travel Lev then your bottom seat position will be “that” much higher (“that” being the results from #4c minus seatpost travel).

I cannot overemphasize:Do NOT select a Lev if the “Min Extended Rail Height” is great than your measurement obtained in step #2.

Useful info in Millimeters
    Travel
    Min Slammed Rail Height
    Min Extended Rail Height
    Max Extended Rail Height
    LEV 100 31.6 350
    LEV 125 31.6 385
    LEV 150 31.6 435

Useful info in Inches
    Travel
    Min Slammed Rail Height
    Min Extended Rail Height
    Max Extended Rail Height
    LEV 100 31.6 350
    3 15/16
    2 5/16
    6 4/16
    8 14/16
    LEV 125 31.6 385
    4 15/16
    2 5/16
    7 4/16
    10 7/16
    LEV 150 31.6 435
    5 14/16
    2 5/16
    8 4/16
    12 6/16

KS Lev Specs (in millimeters)
    Overall Length Min Post Insertion Max Post Insertion
    LEV 100 31.6 350
    LEV 125 31.6 385
    LEV 150 31.6 435

Note
    Different size bikes of the same model will not require the same length of seatpost. Example: I have a 33” inseam and 150 seatpost will work for me on a medium but not on a large (FYI: I have 170mm crankarms, which makes my seat position 5mm higher than 175mm crankarms in my "ideal pedaling position").

Since the bottom bracket heights are the same, I think you can use the stand over height as rough approximation of the difference between seat post exposure on one bike size and another.
    Last edited by TSC; 02-12-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Improve it
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knomer
    I just measured the amount of necessary exposed post for the LEV 150, and you need 8.625" from the saddle rails down to below the knurled collar.

EDIT: This is tough to measure(just measured again and took pics) since not all parts are flush and the rails are at a different angle. I would say plan on 8.5" just to be sure, but you *might* be ok at 8.375".

KS Lev sizing-cimg2101.jpg
    Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 02-11-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: tough to measure
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Damn you Ty. How did you know I was thinking about this?

Related question, how much can you slam the LEV? I see that the cable attachment point can hangover a seatpost clamp, so if your clamp was thin enough could you slam the LEV all the way?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I just measured the amount of necessary exposed post for the LEV 150, and you need 8.625" from the saddle rails down to below the knurled collar.
    That's 14mm more than I would have expected.

I just measured my Lev 125 and got 7.156" (181.8mm) which is about what I get get from my calculations below.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Damn you Ty. How did you know I was thinking about this?
    Great minds I guess... (Ryan got me thinking about this the other day when he posted that he bought a large Chili so he would have less seatpost exposed.)

Related question, how much can you slam the LEV? I see that the cable attachment point can hangover a seatpost clamp, so if your clamp was thin enough could you slam the LEV all the way?
    The distance from collar to rails will be 55mm (+1 or 2mm) when slammed as low as it will go. For comparison: my Thompson Elite is 28mm from collar to rails when slammed.

mtbr member
    Hmm... worded that wrong I guess.

How far down does the base of the post go?

On Dusty's pic at at 8.5" will that part go all the way to the top of your seatpost clamp?

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this. Helped me realize a 150 won't work, so I'll have to go with a 125mm.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    On Dusty's pic at at 8.5" will that part go all the way to the top of your seatpost clamp?
    Dusty's right--it's a ***** to measure. In Dusty's pic you can see that the base part starts at 7" and extends down to 8 3/16"; making it at least 1 3/16" (30.2mm) long. Above the shaft you've got 25mm or so where the seatpost clamps to the rails. Those two combined is where I get my 55mm.

That said, I think Dusty is smart in adding a little fudge factor as I don't think you would want to rest your seatpost directly on the your clamp; and too high is much worse than too low. Changing my 55mm into 60mm is the safe thing to do.

Edit: added a 5mm safety margin into my original post, so you get the 60mm I mentioned above.
    Last edited by TSC; 02-11-2013 at 10:54 PM.

mtbr member
    So I run about 9" of exposed post from seat collar to rails in climbing position. I assume I can use the 150?

TSC
    Buehliever
    I did more research and edited my original post so it contains all the information you should need.

Knomer
    You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    So I run about 9" of exposed post from seat collar to rails in climbing position. I assume I can use the 150?
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Thanks TSC and Dusty. Looking forward to getting down to get down and vice versa.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Bump! I keep seeing questions about this. The first post has the info you need.

Delirious Tuck
    Anyone having trouble with the Lev returning the last 20-25mm of travel? is it break in or maybe try bumping the PSI?

-RT

mtbr member
    How tight do you have the seat post clamp tightened/torqued. I noticed when mine was torqued to the recommmended 7Nm, it was a bit sticky. I back it off a bit and all was fine.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Delirious Tuck
    I'll back it off from 7nm and see if that works.

Gracias!

mtbr member
    THANK YOU!!!
    Yes, I did mean to yell that.
    -G

mtbr member
    Never mind--found my answer.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    TSC, this is very helpful. My clamp top to rails on rigid post is 185 mm at roadbike style pedaling height. So I am going for the 125 travel. I don't have a mm to spare, but seems a shame to go 100 travel. Consensus from others? Thanks

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    TSC, this is very helpful. My clamp top to rails on rigid post is 185 mm at roadbike style pedaling height. So I am going for the 125 travel. I don't have a mm to spare, but seems a shame to go 100 travel. Consensus from others? Thanks
    From my OP, the 31.6mm Lev has min height of 2 5/16" to rail height when slammed; so the seat that's probably about 3.5". If that's the seat height you prefer when descending then the 125mm is what you want. If you rarely ever put your seat that low when descending, then you may want to go with the shorter 100mm Lev which will raise your minimum seat height to ~4.5”. And the 100 should save a bit of weight and money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    One additional comment on sizing. Make sure to check the maximum insertion depth in the seat tube for your bike. My bike has a max insertion depth of 185mm and my collar to rail distance is 200mm. The LEV 125 just fits but i'm out of luck if I want to lower the max saddle height. The LEV 100 gives me more flexibility on max saddle height but less travel. I'm still trying to decide which way to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

EDIT: This is tough to measure(just measured again and took pics) since not all parts are flush and the rails are at a different angle. I would say plan on 8.5" just to be sure, but you *might* be ok at 8.375".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2101.jpg 
Views:	932 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	770930
    Damn. I'm at 8.75" Just a hair too much, right? I suppose this bike is just too small for me after all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thechez View Post
    Damn. I'm at 8.75" Just a hair too much, right? I suppose this bike is just too small for me after all!
    maybe I need more coffee to process this, but what do you mean? Dusty is pointing out the minimum that the post needs to extend from the frame. 8.75"> 8.5" ?

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I mean at the lowest position I want the seat to be it's at 8.75 for the min extended rail height. That would mean that even a 150 wouldn't be long enough to fit where I need it, correct? Or am I reading it all wrong?

mtbr member
    Hmmm. I've had more coffee and I'm still not sure what you are asking.

What frame do you have? What size is it?

The LEV seatpost total length is 435mm (~17".) If you take into account the minimum frame insertion of 120mm for a 150 post, your post could be as tall as 12.4" not including saddle height.

What Dusty and other are illustrating above is that if you need less than 8.5" of seatpost (at full height) the 150 Lev will be too tall.

KS Lev sizing-776233d1362053680-ks-lev-125mm-am-i-first-have-misure_lev.jpg

-cabra cadabra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast