mtbr member

Knolly's: ONE or TWO

This might be premature. I haven't ridden these bikes - waiting anxiously (patiently might be an overstatement) for Chili in my size and hopefully an Endo to arrive at my shop here to demo ASAP. Nevertheless, the company and bikes seem SOLID, so I'm very interested. I'm left with the classic choice:

1) Endo and Podium
    2) Do-it-all Chili

If I went with route #1, Podium would be in a year or so - I'm not sure if I am 100 percent committed to a DH bike yet - but I want to at least consider the future. I've only been riding hard for a few years (I'm 22) and would love to get into DH/FR.

What do you guys think? TIA!

mtbr member
    A burly AM bike is a good tool for progressing towards DH. You could also use a chilly for DH stuff to decide if you want to get serious.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    #2 get the Chili - invest in a lighter wheel set initially and get burlier wheels as a 2nd wheelset for more aggressive riding. Having one MTB for all your riding is convenient and you'll get to know it really well getting the most out of it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If money is a problem, I agree with #2 and having 2 wheelsets. The chili is quite competent on DH runs. You may not be smashing out record lap times or hitting 40 ft gaps (or maybe you will?) but you will be able to ride everything. I regularly ride Trestle bike park and Vail and also ride 15-25 mile rides on it. Great all around bike.

If I had the cash, I would probably take the first option. The chili is what it is, its a do-it-all bike. Your not gonna be the fastest uphill or downhill, but you can do a little of everything.

mtbr member
    Option 3)
    Buy Chilcotin, ride for a year. Then when you are ready for podium, sell Chilcotin frame and buy endo and podium.

Dilemma solved!

mtbr member
    Great replies guys.

I already have 2 sets of wheels so Chili should work nicely. Money isn't a problem but I want to be smart about this, i.e. not buying a DH bike until I am sure about it.

I hadn't considered option #3! I like that! Sounds like I'm leaning towards a lighter Chili over the Endo. I already ride a 31lb bike, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Perpetual Hack
    Agree with above - go Chilly first.

I have been riding a Delirium (and DT) since they were the only bike other than the 'Tach.
    I have two wheel-sets and two forks...so go from Trail to DH. Over the years I have begun to return to my roots, so am tending toward DH.
    When I got to the point of wanting more bike for the DH, I picked up the Podium this spring. (and it is a WHOLE other world)
    I still ride the Delirium in trail mode....(and my son rides it in DH mode when he decides to honour me with his presence ) and am seriously looking at an Endo for trail riding in a year or so.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

MC MasterShake
    Chilly 1st no question. Designed for AM but easily handles XC, FR, DH depending on the build. Mine is 32 lb-ish and for the past 2 years has been my 95% bike. My stuff is technical XC/burly AM but I would take it on XC road trips as well as lift days. My only change would be DH tires for lift days otherwise bike is the same for everything.

That being said I recently replaced my XC bike with an Endo and man that bike is fun. Kind of opened my eyes as to how burly the Chilly really is. Since I got the Endo it's been about 50/50 Endo/Chilly days.

Podium looks like a sick bike but I don't really do much DH. My park (Highland MBP) is more about buffed tables and berms than the DH stuff. If had more access to DH I'd probably look harder at getting the Knolly Triple play.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Having had a D with two wheel sets and now a dedicated trail bike (Chili) with a DH sled (Status), I can honestly say that having the appropriate tool for the job works better. Sure, riding the D year round made me tons stronger, but having a 3x lb trail bike and a DH bike is working so much better.

I suppose it really comes down to the "type" of DH you ride, like Woodyak said...if I just rode buffed lines, then the Chili would be great for "DH." BUUUUT...brake bumps and techy sections be damned, I'd prefer to be on a big bike all day at the park, as you can ride faster, carry momentum and NOT be beat to **** from riding a shorter travel bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would vote having a dedicated DH bike if you're serious about it. I have a Chilcotin and a DH bike (not a Podium but wish it were). I built the Chili to be pretty lightweight but still able to take abuse - if you're not an XC guy this could work for you too.

I love the idea of a one-bike quiver killer, perhaps with multiple wheelsets (maybe even swapping the shock to a coil for DH and the fork to a 180), but it works better in theory than practice for a couple reasons

- Your DH bike will get abused, it's nice not to abuse your pedal bike for this.
    - There is simply no replacement for a really active 7 or 8" of suspension. You simply cannot and will not get that kind of suspension from ANY bike that pedals fairly well, Chilcotin included. The Chili's rear end is very active for a pedalable bike, but it's not even close to a Podium for plushness. Not even close.
    - It's nice to have a second bike for when something breaks on one bike and you need to wait for a replacement (or servicing).

There are other reasons too. Once I am willing to give up the bike park or reduce to only once or twice a year, I'll get rid of the DH bike, but as long as I'm riding the bike park I won't subject my Chili to that abuse (and my body to any more abuse than necessary).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a Chilcotin and a Podium. I ride the Chilcotin around 90% of the time, and it is more than capable at handling anything I throw at it. But when it comes down to pure DH style trails it is not even close when compared how the Podium handles the trails. Also, I live in Vancouver BC, so I'm close to Whistler which makes owning a DH bike very worth while.

If two bikes is an option I would go with the Chili and the Podium. From what I've read the Chili pedals just as well as the Endo, and you will feel confident on all trail styles, especially when in the slack position.

Keep in mind that I've never ridden an Endorphin, so I could be a bit biased.

mtbr member
    @thansen - the Chili does NOT pedal as well as the Endorphin. That's why I bought an Endo. I demo'd the Chili three times on my local trails and I wanted it to be my trail bike - then I tried the Endo.

@OP - Go with the Chili. I just did a double demo at Snow Summit (CA, USA). The trails (on property) at SS are not the kind to challenge a DH bike, so that may have to do with my assessment. I loved the Podium, so much so that I bought one to match my 2013 Endorphin BUT Dusty's Chili was every bit as fun, if not more so, and it was way more manageable if things slowed down or got tight. The rear ends felt almost identical in choppy braking bumps, bermed turns, small chunk, etc. Both were equipped with CCDBa. I seriously considered getting the Chilcotin and foregoing a DH bike, since I shy away from big gaps, doubles and serious drops anyway.

Chili, FTW. Endo/Podium if you do a lot of XC trail riding, and have easy access to chairlifts and shuttle trails.

mtbr member
    If you are only getting one bike right now, def get a Chili, it's a bit more versatile. Then later down the road you could either lighten it up and get a Podium, or sell the Chili and get the Endo/Podium combo. I'm fortunate to have an Endo and a Chili, and they are entirely different bikes. Read Tiss'ers review of them both, that sums it up better than any of us could. It's glaringly obvious when I bike I need to grab depending on what trail I am riding.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i am lucky enough to have both endo and podium, both awesome bikes in their own right, if you can afford both and feel you will get good use from them then do it you wont be sorry,,, how ever if you can only afford one bike right now, and not to sure which direction your riding is going as your new to the sport, then i'd say what the others said,
    go with the chilli, this will make a better all round bike, this way you can ride trails, and do freeride/dh once you decide if you like dh, ( which im sure you will ha ha) then you can get a podium, and then decide if its worth having a chill and podium or sell the chilli and get an endo.

mtbr member
    +1 for the chilli...but put the best shock on it you can afford, cane creek or ava and your golden..
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.