Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

knolly WARDEN

175K views 860 replies 139 participants last post by  David R 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#174 ·
Ask and ye shall receive:

As always, these numbers are subject to slight changes until full production is set for delivery. It should also be noted that the angle of the chainstay yoke has been softened for all models(Endo, Chil, Warden) using this configuration, to provide even more clearance at the tire bulge.

Let the e-riding begin!

#177 ·
Nice that the seat tube on the large is 18.5" versus 19" on the Chili and Endo. Might help a few people get into that 150mm dropper if they were on the border. Not that 1/2" is all that much, but still nice.

I e-rode the bike this morning, it was fantastic.

#186 ·
Noel, I can't really tell from the pics I've seen, but please, please put water bottle cage bosses on the Warden....for Enduro. Seriously, if there are stages and races where full packs aren't necessary, most racers I know won't use em. Gotta have a place to put a bottle. Even for races where hydration packs are the call, it's nice to put some secret powders in a bottle to sip on throughout the day.

#189 ·
The Warden will definitely have cage bosses. You can plan on the fitment within the front triangle to be similar(or perhaps slightly tighter depending on frame size) to the Chilcotin, since the tube diameters are similar. However, there is one prevailing issue having nothing to do with our frame design: bottle mounting with a reservoir air shock. More and more people are choosing these types of shocks, and on many frame designs on smaller sizes, the reservoir will hit your bottle during compression.

I ride almost exclusively with a bottle instead of a pack. To me, it just feels better. So i've started my search for a position adjustable bottle mount that can slide up the downtube a bit. I posted something on the passion board about a month ago with limited results. I've even gone as far as emailing problem solvers and other small fabricators to drum up some interest in making an adjustable mount. We'll see what happens.

#195 ·
have you tried a wingnut pack? they sit lower onto the back and hips - I have the hyper 2.5 and it a great pack. On big rides I use a camelback but it always feels uncomfortable, especially restricting shoulder movement. You don't get this problem with a wingnut pack. The wingnut is made from waterproof sail material so is completely waterproof, too. The hyper 3 is a bit bigger if you need more space to cram in stuff.

Wingnut Hyper 2.5 Hydration Pack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut Hyper 3 Backpack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut MPS Alpha Backpack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut Adventure Pack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut Gear » Products

#196 ·
have you tried a wingnut pack? they sit lower onto the back and hips - I have the hyper 2.5 and it a great pack. On big rides I use a camelback but it always feels uncomfortable, especially restricting shoulder movement. You don't get this problem with a wingnut pack. The wingnut is made from waterproof sail material so is completely waterproof, too. The hyper 3 is a bit bigger if you need more space to cram in stuff.

Wingnut Hyper 2.5 Hydration Pack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut Hyper 3 Backpack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut MPS Alpha Backpack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut Adventure Pack Review - BikeRadar

Wingnut Gear » Products

#200 ·
Count me in as another who at 6'4" wouldn't mind a bit more height on the XL head tube. I have about a 4" drop from my saddle to my hands on the 2013 Endorphin using 25mm of spacers, a 7* rise 70mm stem and Crank Bros riser bars with a 160mm fork. It's OK in this configuration, but I would prefer the option of getting my hands up a little higher without going to ridiculous spacer stacks. X-Fusion warns its consumers not to exceed 30mm of spacer between the headtube and stem for fear of steer-tube failure.

I appreciate that Noel knows how all of these numbers relate to handling characteristics, so I only offer my 2 cents worth as, well, about 2 cents worth. If the head tube forces stacks of spacers, a riser stem and big riser bars and still doesn't get me closer to a 3" drop from saddle to hands, I may not be able to purchase the bike. (sad face) I certainly don't expect Noel to use crowd-sourcing to design a bike. Work your magic, Mr. Buckley!

#205 ·
As Potential Knolly customer on the taller side, who tends to have a lot of seat post exposed, I would also prefer a head tube on the large that reflects a taller rider.

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere else, but will Knolly be at Outerbike? I have not seen any ride reports yet of the Warden. I would love to hear what Krob's impressions are of it.

#206 ·
... will Knolly be at Outerbike? I have not seen any ride reports yet of the Warden. I would love to hear what Krob's impressions are of it.
Not that I know of. I suspect it won't be until a few dealers have some demo's in their shops several months down the road before you'll get a chance to ride a Warden.

I'm in Moab now. Rode a big loop out at north Klondike trails today (The new Alaska trail is pretty cool), TWE and Amasa/Ahab tomorrow, Outerbike starts Friday. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if there's a Warden here... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#221 ·
+1 on this ^.
Also, I think if people want a solid answer, they should just email or call Knolly representatives to find out. The last thing they are going to do is reply to some public forum with wrong information causing a potential backlash if there are delays that may take place...
I would quit asking publicly on this forum. When I was wondering which bike to get, the Team Green Chilco or Warden, I emailed Dusty and asked him if the warden would be out around same time the Team Green Chilcos were. If so, I thought about waiting for the Warden. He replied saying the Team Green Chilcos will be out wayyy before Wardens. That was enough info for me to know to go on ahead and get Chilco instead of waiting for Warden.
Get in touch with them, instead of waiting for a public post on this forum.

#223 · (Edited)
Good one! No, I said I didn't want to wait for Warden. There is no set date yet. I am in dire need of FS bike. I'll get the Warden later on next year. If it were out aready, I'd give it a shot.

Actually, rode my buddy's Banshee Spitfire V2 today. That or the new Rune may come into play if I can't get another Chilco soon!

#224 ·
A question on the raw finish, which I assume will be one of the options for the Warden, my buddy got a Knolly recently and when he was selecting the finish he wanted raw, but the dealer told him there was no clear coat over it and it would be a bad choice for life on the BC coast. Anyone have any issues with raw Knollys living on Vancouver Island, Vancouver, Squamish, etc??

Just curious because the raw finish looks slick.

#225 ·
I have a RAW Endorphin and was initially worried of it being exposed to the elements but after quick research my mind was at ease.

Untreated aluminium has very good corrosion resistance in most environments. This is primarily because aluminium spontaneously forms a thin but effective oxide layer that prevents further oxidation.

Aluminum in the open air
The picture (below) shows an untreated sample after 20 years off the south-west coast of Sweden. UV radiation, sulphuric acid and nitric acid in combination with chlorides have not left any deep marks. After 22 years in a marine atmosphere, examination of an untreated aluminium sample (alloy AA 6063) showed that corrosion attack was so limited (max. depth approx. 0.15 mm) that strength was not affected.

Rectangle Font Paper product

Aluminum in water
In natural fresh water and drinking water, aluminium may be subject to pitting. However, with regular drying and cleaning, the risk of harmful attack is small. Pots, pans and other household equipment can be used for decades without there being any pitting.

source: Aluminium's corrosion resistance - Aluminium Design

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.