Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: knolly WARDEN

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    44 mm wont' fit a 1.5"

correct, it's so you can run a tapered fork with a zerostack hs

no idea about the angle set thing
    44mm will fit 1.5", top or bottom. Obviously not zero stack on either for a 1.5" steerer but there are headsets for it. It's tougher to find (Nukeproof made them and last year I had to order from CRC as my LBS couldn't provide), although now you can pick them up from Cane Creek and probably others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Put me down for one of these in green, despite the name.. I'm hoping the name will grow on me in time. Warden reminds me of an old peoples home for some reason....I think Ranger would have been better.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    ... Am I nuts to start to think I can slap on the Warden rear on the Chilly front ?
    Maybe it won't work at all.. But what do you think Dusty?
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Put me down for one of these in green, despite the name.. I'm hoping the name will grow on me in time. Warden reminds me of an old peoples home for some reason....I think Ranger would have been better.

LOL - +1 - the name is the only thing I don't like about this bike and it's the easiest thing to change. $10 in decals and I will have the only Knolly Sasquatch in existence...
    Last edited by vikb; 08-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

LOL - +1 - the name is the only thing I don't like about this bike and it's the easiest thing to change. $10 in decals and I will have the only Knolly Sasquatch in existence...
    good idea....I think I'll call mine Holmbury....after my local ride

Five5hot

chain stays

it's a bit difficult to see in the press photos but does anyone know if the Warden will get the sexy single-tube-chain-stay treatment the Podium has?

in Friedrichshafen, Germany - photo by mikekazimer - Pinkbike

knolly WARDEN-podium-triangle.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dusty, what's the shock size, please? I hope it's 200 x 57 so I can use up my spare DBair, assuming there is a frame only option?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    ... Am I nuts to start to think I can slap on the Warden rear on the Chilly front ?
    Maybe it won't work at all.. But what do you think Dusty?
    Would that be a Warcotin or a Childen?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think we found Dusty's new coffee mug.

Name:  mommys_little_warden_mug-r3852da30cb3245a3a04b10df760c3070_x7jgr_8byvr_152.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  4.7 KB

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Looking for forward to reading some reviews! Bike looks great, but the name doesn't conjure up images of free trails (especially if you live in San Diego).

mtbr member
    Coming up with a name that everybody likes (or can live with) is next to impossible.

Does it really matter to me? Nope.
    Last edited by Herzalot; 08-30-2013 at 04:02 AM.

beater
    Considering that's my buddy's last name, a lot of us were teasing him yesterday that he has to replace his Chilcotin already.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Reminds me of the new movie with Larry David (clear History) where they named the car "Howard".
    I Like the bike but the name can definitely use some work... Knolly can leave it as European name and in US release it under smth else. Let's hear some ideas. Assuming they want the message to be (trail boss)

Ranger - was suggested
    Master
    Viking
    Charger
    Shredder

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    In keeping with the Endo and Chilco, why not call it the Adrenalin (sp)?

mtbr member
    Knolly stopped naming bikes out of a medical dictionary with the Podium, and then went to mountain ranges with the Chilcotin, so I think Warden is consistent with the current trend of being inconsistent. I like it.

I think of it as the bike to rule all the other miscreants in the asylum.

knolly WARDEN-theshawshankredemption-still12.jpg
    Last edited by Big B; 08-29-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I guess it's a good sign that the only thing people are griping about is the name! Seriously though, who cares? I know there was a very similar reaction to the Chilcotin and Podium names and those seem just fine now. Warden works fine for me.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I guess it's a good sign that the only thing people are griping about is the name!
    +1 - if that's the biggest issue with this bike we are all good...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Big B has it. Think of all the movies where the Warden is the freaking bad ass boss. He runs the place. He tames all of the nastiest of the nasty while keeping them locked away so you can go home at the end of your day and feel safe.

AKA the Warden will take all other 650b bikes and all of the craziest trails and put them in their place so you can end your ride with a smile on your face.

Medical terms are done (I love my Endorphin and the term) and mountain ranges was never a trend as it was one bad ass bike. Although it wasn't too much of a departure from mountains/ regions/ trails... There is a trail on Mount Fromme in North Vancouver called Warden's Trail, it is a ***** of a technical climb and just chunder that bucks you wild if you come down it. Almost Warden territory.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    This one is "probably". CC sells a "ANGLESET ZS44 | EC49" combo and a a "ANGLESET ZS44 | ZS56" combo but does not sell a "ANGLESET ZS44 | ZS49" combo. So to accommodate an angleset with the 44mm top without raising the front end Noel had to make the bottom a 56mm.

EC = External Cup which adds 14mm of Bottom Stack Height.
    ZS = ZeroStack which adds 4mm of Bottom Stack Height.
    If you want an angle set Works Components gives you the most options and without the issues CC seems to have. Nothing but great reviews form users.

Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK

Love that Knolly went to the big 56mm lower on the head tube. This bike looks just amazing and it's gonna suck waiting for some real world reviews now that we know it exists.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I guess it's a good sign that the only thing people are griping about is the name! Seriously though, who cares?
    Answer: The name will matter very little to Knolly's current customer base; BUT it will matter to potential first-time Knolly owners. It may sound crazy, but I was reticent to buy the Chilcotin because of the name (my first Knolly). I wanted the Delirium and the name was part of the reason I preferred it. I bought a Chili and am glad I did, but the name didn't help. (I'm glad I can call it a "Chili" because I prefer that to Chilcotin.")

This bike will be competing for market-share against carbon fiber bikes with bigger marketing budgets; so doing everything right (including naming) is extremely important to maximize market share.

IMO the name, Warden, conjures mixed feelings (Prison Warden = BADASS! Game/Park Warden = PRICK!). If I were to look for a new name I would look at my target segment (enduro racers and all-mountain riders) and find a name that:

Rule #1-- Attracts as many customers as possible.

Rule #2-- Pushes away as few customers as possible.

Rule #3-- Doesn't require educating the customer as to why you chose it (e.g. Chilcotin).

Podium is a name that does this quite well. I might look at a name that is similar: Apex, Pinnacle, Climax, Apogee, Crest, Zenith, Peak, etc. Or, at names that evoke emotions of power: Surge, Torrent, Deluge, yada, yada.

My personal favorite is: Climax. It means "the highest or most intense point in development". It's a mash-up of the words "clim[b]" and "max". And the sexual entendre makes the name memorable and a talking point on the trail (i.e. self-advertising). Of course "Climax" could violate Rule #2 (do no harm), but might be worth it because of Rule #1 (attract as many customers as possible).

Of course, if I bought a bike named "Climax" I would need to buy a "Woodie" or a "Chubbie" shock from Avalanche Racing Products to put on it.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Five5hot
    What are the frame weights of the Chili and Endo with a CTD shock? (Not sure the frame size for which the 6.75 lbs is quoted in the pic.)

BTW, this is an engineering question as well as a weight weenie question (i.e. "don't worry about it" answers won't help).
    I'm rockin' a small Endorphin and the frame came in at 6.44 lbs with CTD shock. (RAW cause we all know that saves weight )

VitalMTB lists the Chilcotin frame at 7.49 lbs 2013 Knolly Chilcotin ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

So once again the Warden would fall right between the two at 6.75 lbs

Five5hot
    My personal favorite is: Climax. It means "the highest or most intense point in development". It's a mash-up of the words "clim[b]" and "max". And the sexual entendre makes the name memorable and a talking point on the trail (i.e. self-advertising). Of course "Climax" could violate Rule #2 (do no harm), but might be worth it because of Rule #1 (attract as many customers as possible).

Of course, if I bought a bike named "Climax" I would need to buy a "Woodie" or a "Chubbie" shock from Avalanche Racing Products to put on it.
    HAHA.. Climax. It would be an orgasmic ride indeed.

I would substitute Climax for Summit if we were to continue on that road. KNOLLY SUMMIT

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    If you want an angle set Works Components gives you the most options and without the issues CC seems to have. Nothing but great reviews form users.

Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK

Love that Knolly went to the big 56mm lower on the head tube. This bike looks just amazing and it's gonna suck waiting for some real world reviews now that we know it exists.
    Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will help a bunch of people out.

Personally, I just run a standard headset. I'm just an incredibly curious person and I know that Noel made the headtube 44/56 for a reason. Making a tapered headtube is a headache, especially for manufacturing, so I was curious why Noel did it.

Once I dug into the rationale, I was impressed. 44mm top matches better with the forks for this bike. 56mm allows people to set their preferred headtube angle (if it's not standard), while allowing the maximum variance in fork travel, without compromising the bike's geometry. Noel nailed it, once again!
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnies View Post
    Big B has it. Think of all the movies where the Warden is the freaking bad ass boss. He runs the place. He tames all of the nastiest of the nasty while keeping them locked away so you can go home at the end of your day and feel safe.

AKA the Warden will take all other 650b bikes and all of the craziest trails and put them in their place so you can end your ride with a smile on your face.

Medical terms are done (I love my Endorphin and the term) and mountain ranges was never a trend as it was one bad ass bike. Although it wasn't too much of a departure from mountains/ regions/ trails... There is a trail on Mount Fromme in North Vancouver called Warden's Trail, it is a ***** of a technical climb and just chunder that bucks you wild if you come down it. Almost Warden territory.
    What we got here is failure to communicate!
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    The name will toughen you up if you don't like it! Reference Johnny Cash "A Boy Named Sue"

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast