Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: knolly WARDEN

mtbr member
    Perhaps just a simple offset bracket that relocates the bottle cage of choice out of harms way, perhaps one that has "KNOLLY" laser etched in it............

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    The Warden will definitely have cage bosses. You can plan on the fitment within the front triangle to be similar(or perhaps slightly tighter depending on frame size) to the Chilcotin, since the tube diameters are similar. However, there is one prevailing issue having nothing to do with our frame design: bottle mounting with a reservoir air shock. More and more people are choosing these types of shocks, and on many frame designs on smaller sizes, the reservoir will hit your bottle during compression.

I ride almost exclusively with a bottle instead of a pack. To me, it just feels better. So i've started my search for a position adjustable bottle mount that can slide up the downtube a bit. I posted something on the passion board about a month ago with limited results. I've even gone as far as emailing problem solvers and other small fabricators to drum up some interest in making an adjustable mount. We'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hi Miles e:

One thing to remember is that as I mentioned before, this is all subject to change over the next few months.

That being said, please also remember that I'm close to 6'2" tall myself, so I understand your concerns. We also have several generation of frames now that I would say have a similar fit: the 2nd generation Delirium, 2nd generation Endorphin and the current Chilcotin are all based on Knolly's "newest, most progressive geometry" that we have developed over the years. We're continually tweaking this geometry (the Warden will be no exception...) and we do of course test all of the frame sizes. For example, we found that with the new Endorphin, we needed to make the head tube slightly longer on the size large frame compared to the Chilcotin, but the mediums could be much closer together. This was simply due to the different fork AC lengths and frame geometries.

Finally, with the Warden: the geometry is listed with a 150mm fork: I'm sure there will be a lot of customers who are throwing on 160mm Pikes and such. That will (also) increase the front end height. If we were to make the head tube a lot taller, we would probably start to reduce the bike's climbing ability up things like steep switchbacks with 160mm forks. It's a very fine balancing act to match all of the technical requirements that a frame like this will need to be able to do.

Cheers,
    Noel,
    You mentioned in this post that even the Chilis are going through "tweaks" each time batches are fabricated. Can you tell us if you have any tweaks in the Chili now? Like the same Head tube as the Warden? I think if i remember correctly, the new Warden HT is bigger allowing users of tapered forks to run internal bottom cups instead of external. I think that would be an added benefit to the Chilco.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Noel,
    You mentioned in this post that even the Chilis are going through "tweaks" each time batches are fabricated. Can you tell us if you have any tweaks in the Chili now? Like the same Head tube as the Warden? I think if i remember correctly, the new Warden HT is bigger allowing users of tapered forks to run internal bottom cups instead of external. I think that would be an added benefit to the Chilco.
    +2.

J:
    i can smell yur litesaber
    Dec 2009
    Anyone notice the size of the dba?.. hmm is that a med frame in the pic?

Well Biked
    As Potential Knolly customer on the taller side, who tends to have a lot of seat post exposed, I would also prefer a head tube on the large that reflects a taller rider.

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere else, but will Knolly be at Outerbike? I have not seen any ride reports yet of the Warden. I would love to hear what Krob's impressions are of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    ... will Knolly be at Outerbike? I have not seen any ride reports yet of the Warden. I would love to hear what Krob's impressions are of it.
    Not that I know of. I suspect it won't be until a few dealers have some demo's in their shops several months down the road before you'll get a chance to ride a Warden.

I'm in Moab now. Rode a big loop out at north Klondike trails today (The new Alaska trail is pretty cool), TWE and Amasa/Ahab tomorrow, Outerbike starts Friday. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if there's a Warden here... but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Not that I know of. I suspect it won't be until a few dealers have some demo's in their shops several months down the road before you'll get a chance to ride a Warden.

I'm in Moab now. Rode a big loop out at north Klondike trails today (The new Alaska trail is pretty cool), TWE and Amasa/Ahab tomorrow, Outerbike starts Friday. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if there's a Warden here... but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    You down there all weekend KRob? I'm heading down tomorrow afternoon. Hoping to get there in time for a quick pedal on Pipe Dream or Bartlett before dark. Hazard down on Saturday and Amasa/Pothole/Rockstacker/Ahab Sunday.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Well Biked

I'm sure a lot of people are super curious! I remember when the Chili came out, they brought out an early release. Even though they later bumped up the travel, it still generated a lot of excitement to see it as it was so far.

I would love to hear how it compares the Mach 6. I'm a little hesitant about the Mach 6's shorted reach, longer stem, although I would likely move up to an XL on that one.

J:
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    As Potential Knolly customer on the taller side, who tends to have a lot of seat post exposed, I would also prefer a head tube on the large that reflects a taller rider.
    Same here, Front end on the Warden looks a little more slopestyle with that seat tube, compared to the chili. Guessing that's where the "subject to change" comes into play

mtbr member
    Any new updates on this frames full geo, weight, colors and release?

Edit- YES, I will ask over and over until I get an answer!

mtbr member
    At one point it sounded like the Warden was coming out in Dec 2013. Now I'm getting the impression it's more like spring 2014. Is that correct?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    At one point it sounded like the Warden was coming out in Dec 2013. Now I'm getting the impression it's more like spring 2014. Is that correct?
    lol. if it's anything like the chili, just practice holding your breath

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    lol. if it's anything like the chili, just practice holding your breath
    That's okay. I'm not in a huge rush. I've got a bike to ride this winter. Just wondering what the latest ETA from Knolly was.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    That's okay. I'm not in a huge rush. I've got a bike to ride this winter. Just wondering what the latest ETA from Knolly was.
    that was my point. knolly is always a tad optimistic regarding eta. i wouldn't believe anything until i actually see one in a shop or online in stock

Pivoteer
    I think spring would be a good bet.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    that was my point. knolly is always a tad optimistic regarding eta. i wouldn't believe anything until i actually see one in a shop or online in stock
    Sorry I guess I'm not being clear. I'm looking for the latest update on ETA from Knolly. I'm not planning anything important around it. I just want to keep abreast of what their planned release date is.

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I think spring would be a good bet.
    That seems like a safe bet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Guess on expected MSRP for a complete SLX Build?

I know some of the Endorphin's could have been had from certain dealers for around $3900 with most budget of builds.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

J:
    Dec 2009
    It's been a year since the chilcotin 650b was posted here.. I'm more wondering now if this new warden is to be cleared for use w/ the vengeance. Or maybe coil lyrik by then.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for the latest update on ETA from Knolly.
    good luck with that. i think that's been asked multiple times to knolly since the warden was first posted online with no answer. socalmx has asked half a dozen times himself and nada from knolly.

keep asking though, at some point an answer will be given. maybe knolly is waiting for the thousandth time

beater
    I think it's pretty clear that Knolly won't make an announcement or prediction about Warden availability until they've worked out the production timeline. I'd guess that's a priority for them. As far as comparing it to the Chilcotin's introduction, well, there was the issue of shifting production overseas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that Knolly won't make an announcement or prediction about Warden availability until they've worked out the production timeline. I'd guess that's a priority for them. As far as comparing it to the Chilcotin's introduction, well, there was the issue of shifting production overseas.
    +1 on this ^.
    Also, I think if people want a solid answer, they should just email or call Knolly representatives to find out. The last thing they are going to do is reply to some public forum with wrong information causing a potential backlash if there are delays that may take place...
    I would quit asking publicly on this forum. When I was wondering which bike to get, the Team Green Chilco or Warden, I emailed Dusty and asked him if the warden would be out around same time the Team Green Chilcos were. If so, I thought about waiting for the Warden. He replied saying the Team Green Chilcos will be out wayyy before Wardens. That was enough info for me to know to go on ahead and get Chilco instead of waiting for Warden.
    Get in touch with them, instead of waiting for a public post on this forum.

mtbr member
    F.N.G, you passed up on the 27.5 goodness for a color? That's N.F.G...

Ok, I will stop asking questions about the Warden. Screw it, one more time, when will this frame be released, what colour options & whats the full geo list? Bwahahahah....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    F.N.G, you passed up on the 27.5 goodness for a color? That's N.F.G...

Ok, I will stop asking questions about the Warden. Screw it, one more time, when will this frame be released, what colour options & whats the full geo list? Bwahahahah....
    Good one! No, I said I didn't want to wait for Warden. There is no set date yet. I am in dire need of FS bike. I'll get the Warden later on next year. If it were out aready, I'd give it a shot.

Actually, rode my buddy's Banshee Spitfire V2 today. That or the new Rune may come into play if I can't get another Chilco soon!
    Last edited by F.N.G; 10-13-2013 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    A question on the raw finish, which I assume will be one of the options for the Warden, my buddy got a Knolly recently and when he was selecting the finish he wanted raw, but the dealer told him there was no clear coat over it and it would be a bad choice for life on the BC coast. Anyone have any issues with raw Knollys living on Vancouver Island, Vancouver, Squamish, etc??

Just curious because the raw finish looks slick.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Five5hot
    A question on the raw finish, which I assume will be one of the options for the Warden, my buddy got a Knolly recently and when he was selecting the finish he wanted raw, but the dealer told him there was no clear coat over it and it would be a bad choice for life on the BC coast. Anyone have any issues with raw Knollys living on Vancouver Island, Vancouver, Squamish, etc??

Just curious because the raw finish looks slick.
    I have a RAW Endorphin and was initially worried of it being exposed to the elements but after quick research my mind was at ease.

Untreated aluminium has very good corrosion resistance in most environments. This is primarily because aluminium spontaneously forms a thin but effective oxide layer that prevents further oxidation.

Aluminum in the open air
    The picture (below) shows an untreated sample after 20 years off the south-west coast of Sweden. UV radiation, sulphuric acid and nitric acid in combination with chlorides have not left any deep marks. After 22 years in a marine atmosphere, examination of an untreated aluminium sample (alloy AA 6063) showed that corrosion attack was so limited (max. depth approx. 0.15 mm) that strength was not affected.

Name:  corrosion-test.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  14.6 KB

Aluminum in water
    In natural fresh water and drinking water, aluminium may be subject to pitting. However, with regular drying and cleaning, the risk of harmful attack is small. Pots, pans and other household equipment can be used for decades without there being any pitting.

source: Aluminium's corrosion resistance - Aluminium Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeBokeh View Post
    I have a RAW Endorphin and was initially worried of it being exposed to the elements but after quick research my mind was at ease.
    Cool - thanks. I wasn't worried about any real damage, just that it might look like crap after a while in our wet and somewhat salty environment on the coast.

A bit of frame wax every month should help protect it I suspect.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Cool - thanks. I wasn't worried about any real damage, just that it might look like crap after a while in our wet and somewhat salty environment on the coast.

A bit of frame wax every month should help protect it I suspect.

the aluminum oxidizes right away and forms its own protective barrier. you truly wont need any finish protection on it.

mtbr member
    My raw Rune has 1/2lb of clear coat on it.

I'm getting anxious guessing on the colors. I hope blue is an option.

mtbr member
    the aluminum oxidizes right away and forms its own protective barrier. you truly wont need any finish protection on it.
    Does it stay shinny or does it look dull once the AL oxidizes?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Five5hot
    Does it stay shinny or does it look dull once the AL oxidizes?
    I haven't seen any noticeable differences since I had it. Only seen a hand full of rides in mud and rain (California livin'). I've had it for only been 6 months, been stored indoors, hosed and wiped down after 3 rides or so. I'm sure someone that has had one longer can shed some light on their experience with a RAW Knolly.

The good thing about RAW aluminum is you can take a scoth-brite pad and take off any blemishes without having to worry about damaging the paint job.

You can probably ask cfrench as he's raised the question in another forum of polishing or using wax on his Chilcotin. Polishing Raw Aluminium

mtbr member
    I haven't seen any noticeable differences since I had it. Only seen a hand full of rides in mud and rain (California livin'). I've had it for only been 6 months, been stored indoors, hosed and wiped down after 3 rides or so. I'm sure someone that has had one longer can shed some light on their experience with a RAW Knolly.

The good thing about RAW aluminum is you can take a scoth-brite pad and take off any blemishes without having to worry about damaging the paint job.

You can probably ask cfrench as he's raised the question in another forum of polishing or using wax on his Chilcotin. Polishing Raw Aluminium
    Had my Chili in raw for a Year. Other than scuffs, it looked as good as new. I am in SW USA tho, so humidity is not an issue here. But all my sloppy sweat dripping on the top tube, mud, and rain and snow never changed it. You should be safe. And even if it did change a little, better than the chips and dings acquired from rocks and debris in the paint!

FTR... I LOVE that bottom cup size in the Warden's head tube. Wished Chili and Endo had it.

mtbr member
    My raws all look the same after tons of riding, some in rain, getting the occasional hose off, blah blah blah. I don't wipe them down or anything.

Love my raws, wouldn't trade that color for anything.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    My raws all look the same after tons of riding, some in rain, getting the occasional hose off, blah blah blah. I don't wipe them down or anything.

Love my raws, wouldn't trade that color for anything.
    Are all three bikes raw?

mtbr member
    Are all three bikes raw?
    Yessir.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the RAW feedback.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Five5hot
    Just saw this on Wrench Science. Warden 650b Frames | Knolly Bikes 27.5" Full Suspension Mountain Bicycles

Color options: Day Glow Green, Team Orange, Black, Raw, and Britania Blue.

Those could be just place holders till the actual colors are announced but it's up on their site and ready for preorders.

mtbr member
    knolly WARDEN-knolly-1-gold-bar.jpgknolly WARDEN-knolly-gold-bar-rim.jpgCool. Love that they're bringing back the Britania Blue. ...... Wrench Science posts bikes for sale way before they're actually available though. Wouldn't hold my breath.

Saw this photo sequence on the Knolly FB page. Anyone know if that's the Warden proto?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

J:
    Dec 2009
    That's a lot of options.. bring back BC Green!!

mtbr member
    Just saw this on Wrench Science. Warden 650b Frames | Knolly Bikes 27.5" Full Suspension Mountain Bicycles

Color options: Day Glow Green, Team Orange, Black, Raw, and Britania Blue.

Those could be just place holders till the actual colors are announced but it's up on their site and ready for preorders.
    WS has had the Warden info up since this thread started.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knolly 1 on Gold Bar.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	839408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knolly on Gold Bar Rim.jpg 
Views:	1058 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	839409Cool. Love that they're bringing back the Britania Blue. ...... Wrench Science posts bikes for sale way before they're actually available though. Wouldn't hold my breath.

Saw this photo sequence on the Knolly FB page. Anyone know if that's the Warden proto?
    That's Crusty's Chilcotin on my favorite trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    That's Crusty's Chilcotin on my favorite trail.
    When I saw the orange POC I wondered if maybe that was Dusty and his new Team Green Chili.... still wasn't sure about wheelsize though. Someone at Knolly has got to be riding that Warden proto somewhere though, right? Any sightings?

Re Trail: Yep, Mag 7/GoldBar Singletrack/Portal is one of my favorite trails also. So sad I missed this portion of the trail this time when I was there (Just did Mag 7).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Pivoteer
    When I saw the orange POC I wondered if maybe that was Dusty and his new Team Green Chili.... still wasn't sure about wheelsize though.

Re Trail: Yep, Mag 7/GoldBar Singletrack/Portal is one of my favorite trails also. So sad I missed this portion of the trail this time when I was there (Just did Mag 7).
    Hey Kent,

I'm shuttling Mag7 for the first time this weekend. Do you have good source for a map, or is it well marked? We'll be hitting it proper starting at Bull Run and ending on Portal.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    The beginning segments of Mag7 are well marked until you get down into the big open area where you either head back to the highway or start the climbing on Gold Bar. Just make sure you hang a left off the crappy Goldbar Doubletrack at the unmarked sign set about 20 feet off the road(probably a bunch of downed trees and other words painted on the rock that you are advised to ignore) and follow the blue dots. Awesome climb with some fun tech moves up to the overlook. Once at the overlook stay high on the ridgeline and continue following blue dots and be wary of the nasty A lines. Eventually you will hit a smooth section of gravel road along the ridgeline. Follow that for a bit and eventually branch off left to Portal.

Enjoy, it's a phenomenal set of trails. I'd advise enjoying the several downhill segments to start but don't blow yourself up on them. The blue dot segment is a long one and you'll want some gas left in the tank for that and Portal.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The beginning segments of Mag7 are well marked until you get down into the big open area where you either head back to the highway or start the climbing on Gold Bar. Just make sure you hang a left off the crappy Goldbar Doubletrack at the unmarked sign set about 20 feet off the road(probably a bunch of downed trees and other words painted on the rock that you are advised to ignore) and follow the blue dots. Awesome climb with some fun tech moves up to the overlook. Once at the overlook stay high on the ridgeline and continue following blue dots and be wary of the nasty A lines. Eventually you will hit a smooth section of gravel road along the ridgeline. Follow that for a bit and eventually branch off left to Portal.

Enjoy, it's a phenomenal set of trails. I'd advise enjoying the several downhill segments to start but don't blow yourself up on them. The blue dot segment is a long one and you'll want some gas left in the tank for that and Portal.
    Thanks much appreciated. I have been told my 28lb Endo would be a better choice than my 34lb Chili. Would you agree?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Hmmmm, that's a really tough call, I haven't spent extended time on the new Endos but I'd say go Chilcotin. I spent last weekend down there on my 1x10 34 lb Chilcotin (coil 170 Lyrik and DBAir) and wouldn't trade it for the world. I was really high on picking up a Warden as the Chili ends up being overkill for a lot of the riding in N Utah but had so much fun on the really technical stuff on the Chili that it's tough to consider changing for anything. Did all of Mag7 the first day and Amasa/Pothole/Rockstacker/Ahab the second day. Rode several lines each day that I hadn't cleaned before and just had an amazing time. Day 1 the Chili was really great for some of the super high speed stuff coming down Mag, the really tech moves on blue do,t and of course on Portal. I love hitting the hardest climb lines on Amasa which for me is one of the things the Chili does best and for some of the nasty lines on Rockstacker and Ahab it was more than welcome as well. I'd say go Chilcotin.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Hmmmm, that's a really tough call, I haven't spent extended time on the new Endos but I'd say go Chilcotin. I spent last weekend down there on my 1x10 34 lb Chilcotin (coil 170 Lyrik and DBAir) and wouldn't trade it for the world. I was really high on picking up a Warden as the Chili ends up being overkill for a lot of the riding in N Utah but had so much fun on the really technical stuff on the Chili that it's tough to consider changing for anything. Did all of Mag7 the first day and Amasa/Pothole/Rockstacker/Ahab the second day. Rode several lines each day that I hadn't cleaned before and just had an amazing time. Day 1 the Chili was really great for some of the super high speed stuff coming down Mag, the really tech moves on blue do,t and of course on Portal. I love hitting the hardest climb lines on Amasa which for me is one of the things the Chili does best and for some of the nasty lines on Rockstacker and Ahab it was more than welcome as well. I'd say go Chilcotin.
    Thanks catch, really good info. I too have been considering a Warden as a replacement for the Chili, but after a rip I had on the Chili this weekend I don't think I can do it. Having never ridden Mag7 I was unsure, but if there are some good tech climbs and ripping descents, the Chili is a more forgiving bike IMO.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Hey Kent,

I'm shuttling Mag7 for the first time this weekend. Do you have good source for a map, or is it well marked? We'll be hitting it proper starting at Bull Run and ending on Portal.
    Route is here Moab - Over rated? Not really - Part 2 by Sharonb - Pinkbike.

Its nice to have the Chilcotin for Portal. Lots of water if its hot
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Thanks catch, really good info. I too have been considering a Warden as a replacement for the Chili, but after a rip I had on the Chili this weekend I don't think I can do it. Having never ridden Mag7 I was unsure, but if there are some good tech climbs and ripping descents, the Chili is a more forgiving bike IMO.
    All of Mag 7 is totally doable on the Endo and it may even be preferable, but for the bigger A lines on blue dot and certainly for Portal you'll appreciate the Chili.

Catch 22's directions and LeeL's map will get you there. No way to get lost on Mag 7.

Jealous. Such a good ride

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks much appreciated. I have been told my 28lb Endo would be a better choice than my 34lb Chili. Would you agree?
    Chilcotin will be way more fun. I have done it a few times with my Delirium. As Catch says - pace yourself. It is a great ride with a bit of everything, but it gets more techy at the end where you want your energy. I am always reminding folks in our group to pace themselves. Then they fly by me in the beginning, then I come roaring back at the end when it counts.

mtbr member
    Hard to say. I've done it on my 36 lb. Delirium and my 33 lb. Chilly and both were fine. I think it depends on who you ride it with. If the dudes are fast and like to pin it then you'd want the Endo. If you take it slow and decide to pick at some of the harder lines then you'll want the Chilly. You'll especially appreciate the Chilly on the rocky DH right after Portal.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Pivoteer
    Thanks for the tips guys. The Chili is geared up and ready to go.

mtbr member
    Chilcotin for sure. There is some great techy moves on the Rim Trail/ Blue Dot. And it's not like the Chilcotin sucks at climbing.

Just make sure to take he route Catch mentioned. That climb up the Gold Bar Jeep route is miserable.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Knomer
    I posted the geo spec sheet a couple pages back on this thread, release is slated for "spring 2014", colors will be raw, ano black, and a couple painted colors. Cheers!

Good one! No, I said I didn't want to wait for Warden. There is no set date yet. I am in dire need of FS bike. I'll get the Warden later on next year. If it were out aready, I'd give it a shot.

Actually, rode my buddy's Banshee Spitfire V2 today. That or the new Rune may come into play if I can't get another Chilco soon!
    Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    What an envious dilemma to be in.... Going to Moab and not knowing whether to ride an Endo or Chilco! So lucky. Have fun.

Let's Ride!
    What an envious dilemma to be in.... Going to Moab and not knowing whether to ride an Endo or Chilco! So lucky. Have fun.
    right?? I don't know which bike to take, the most awesome in the world, or the other most awesome in the world ............. hmmmmm
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    right?? I don't know which bike to take, the most awesome in the world, or the other most awesome in the world ............. hmmmmm
    I used to have that dilemma. Now I only have one bike. Problem solved..... For now.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Hi Miles e:

One thing to remember is that as I mentioned before, this is all subject to change over the next few months.

That being said, please also remember that I'm close to 6'2" tall myself, so I understand your concerns. We also have several generation of frames now that I would say have a similar fit: the 2nd generation Delirium, 2nd generation Endorphin and the current Chilcotin are all based on Knolly's "newest, most progressive geometry" that we have developed over the years. We're continually tweaking this geometry (the Warden will be no exception...) and we do of course test all of the frame sizes. For example, we found that with the new Endorphin, we needed to make the head tube slightly longer on the size large frame compared to the Chilcotin, but the mediums could be much closer together. This was simply due to the different fork AC lengths and frame geometries.

Finally, with the Warden: the geometry is listed with a 150mm fork: I'm sure there will be a lot of customers who are throwing on 160mm Pikes and such. That will (also) increase the front end height. If we were to make the head tube a lot taller, we would probably start to reduce the bike's climbing ability up things like steep switchbacks with 160mm forks. It's a very fine balancing act to match all of the technical requirements that a frame like this will need to be able to do.

Cheers,
    Noel, I love the bike (Warden) and hope to be on one in 2014 and love the features/geometry of it very much for 650b. The only thing is that your shortening the ST almost an inch on the medium based on chart Dusty posted. Going from 16.9" to 16.14" based on those numbers. I know ST length doesn't matter a whole lot, especially when descending, but I am a 5'10" dude with long'ish legs and get funny looks with my post about 12" above the clamp in max climb position on a medium Rune V2 with 16.9" ST. Really hoping you stay with that sizing (16.9") at the very least for the medium like your other bikes. Everything else looks great, especially with sufficient reach on that size. Hope you keep the geo at 66 front, 13.2" BB, 74 deg STA w/160 fork. Since that is geo I am primarily after for trail shredding and will be on a 160-130 adj fork more than likely for doing long, steep grinds to get to the goods. I have been riding my Rune V2 with fork dropped for lower BB on the flowy, trail rippers and feels great, just wish I had more travel than 130 to play with up front (have to run minimal sag lots of HSC/LSC to keep from bottoming out when railing the descents, so not ideal). When bike is in 160 setting, it is a little too high and slack (too much rear wheel biased) for my liking, unless I am ripping down pretty steep, techy terrain with drops. Thanks Noel, as I hope to be on my first Knolly this winter!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does someone know when the frames
    Will be available ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loolilon View Post
    Does someone know when the frames
    Will be available ?
    This is as good as it gets for an ETA at the moment.

I posted the geo spec sheet a couple pages back on this thread, release is slated for "spring 2014", colors will be raw, ano black, and a couple painted colors. Cheers!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Sweet. I'm on mobile on a ladder at work. Site is showing no info, is this correct?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i suppose they are still playing with the numbers....hope they lengthen the reach a bit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    i suppose they are still playing with the numbers....hope they lengthen the reach a bit
    +1000

Five5hot
    Sweet. I'm on mobile on a ladder at work. Site is showing no info, is this correct?
    correct, it's just two pictures of the warden with grey'd out tabs.

be great to finally see what available colors are coming out as well is all the specs.

mtbr member
    ??? The Chilcotin and Endorphin have longer reach and ETT numbers than the majority of comparable bikes on the market. This is part of the reason I ride Knolly. For example the Rune is shorter in both Reach and ETT in size large.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    ??? The Chilcotin and Endorphin have longer reach and ETT numbers than the majority of comparable bikes on the market. This is part of the reason I ride Knolly. For example the Rune is shorter in both Reach and ETT in size large.[/QUOTE] If that's the case I'm stoked. My only Knolly was a newer gen Delirium in large & I was a bit crammed. Gawd I loved that bike if only it fit me better. My current large Rune V2 fits nice but I would welcome a tad more space.

mtbr member
    Reach is good (23.5" ETT with reach of 16.8" for medium), but please lengthen the seat tube to at least 17" for medium, so I am not sporting all seatpost when on one and can run a standard post if needed
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Want...YES! Need..kind of, sort of as I am still getting by on my 10-month old, Rune V2 with recently welded chainstay. I am still waiting for the warranty replacement (5 weeks now, uggh). Thank god the weld is still holding, maybe stronger than before
    Ride On!

J:
    Dec 2009

Cool photo

What's the seat tube length on the large and xl, has it been posted yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Reach is good (23.5" ETT with reach of 16.8" for medium), but please lengthen the seat tube to at least 17" for medium, so I am not sporting all seatpost when on one and can run a standard post if needed
    I personally prefer the shorter seat tubes. So when I run a dropper post I can get it LOW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    I personally prefer the shorter seat tubes. So when I run a dropper post I can get it LOW
    This is EXACTLY why we've shortened the seat tubes on this frame. If you want a conventional post, I would recommend either the Thomson Elite (no offset, 410mm length) or the Raceface Turbine (some offset, 400mm length). All of the 6" dropper posts are well over 400mm in length (the KS-LEV-150 is 430mm in length IIRC), so these posts will be long enough to fit a wide range of riders.

The cradle heights on the dropper posts are a LOT taller than on conventional seat posts: you could effectively loose 25 - 35mm of saddle lowering ability when replacing a conventional post with a dropper post. This is a big deal for many customers, especially those who are at the smaller end of a frame's fitment range.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    Agreed, I much prefer the ability to get it out of the way more. Seems like the opposite discussion was happening last year when all the 150mm droppers became available. Lots of people couldn't run them because when they bottom out the collar the top setting of the 150 post was too high. Lower seat tubes should take care of that. I'd much rather have the option to go lower built into a frame and have an extra inch of post exposed over not having that flexibility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    What's the seat tube length on the large and xl, has it been posted yet?
    Dusty posted it earlier….

knolly WARDEN-geometry-page-001.jpg

J:
    Dec 2009
    Sweet there's a 20"! Thanks FNG

mtbr member
    This is EXACTLY why we've shortened the seat tubes on this frame. If you want a conventional post, I would recommend either the Thomson Elite (no offset, 410mm length) or the Raceface Turbine (some offset, 400mm length). All of the 6" dropper posts are well over 400mm in length (the KS-LEV-150 is 430mm in length IIRC), so these posts will be long enough to fit a wide range of riders. The cradle heights on the dropper posts are a LOT taller than on conventional seat posts: you could effectively loose 25 - 35mm of saddle lowering ability when replacing a conventional post with a dropper post. This is a big deal for many customers, especially those who are at the smaller end of a frame's fitment range.
    Well I guess I am not the norm then, who prefers a little more seat tube under me, so I can run a 410 Thompson standard post or even my KS 150 dropper isn't too high as well (can't currently run a standard post on my medium Rune V2 due to max out in ideal climb position and can't lower to ideal descending position without contact in lower seat tube due to bend in lower seat tube, so have to run a dropper post because of this). I do have a little longer legs than most my height though, so don't like bikes with really long reach. Medium reach frames are typically good for me with short stem, but prefer at least 18" seat tube really. I can get away with 17" but not ideal, at 5'10" w/30-32" inseam pants who does a lot of steepish climbs to get to the descents. Larges are just too long for me. I like to jump and ride alot of tight, burmy, twisty stuff on my trail bike and why 26" bikes work well for me, but like the idea of the 650b for a little added roll.

One thing to consider with shorter seat tubes is that it puts a little more stress on the seat clamp area of dropper posts (my experience at least), even when post lowered. I was surprised to have cracked my upper seat clamp mast in half while on mellow XC trail ride not long ago and think having the extra seatpost exposure contributed to that (saddle was centered on the rails with leveled saddle tilt). A 16.8"/23.5" reach/TT for medium with 16.2" seat tube is little off and too short IMO. Medium Warden is 1/2" longer than my medium Rune V2, but 3/4" shorter at seat tube. Too bad, cause I like everything else structurally about the the Warden with perfect length and geometry for trail slaying.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Well I guess I am not the norm then, who prefers a little more seat tube under me, so I can run a 410 Thompson standard post or even my KS 150 dropper isn't too high as well (can't currently run a standard post on my medium Rune V2 due to max out in ideal climb position and can't lower to ideal descending position without contact in lower seat tube due to bend in lower seat tube, so have to run a dropper post because of this). I do have a little longer legs than most my height though, so don't like bikes with really long reach. Medium reach frames are typically good for me with short stem, but prefer at least 18" seat tube really. I can get away with 17" but not ideal, at 5'10" w/30-32" inseam pants who does a lot of steepish climbs to get to the descents. Larges are just too long for me. I like to jump and ride alot of tight, burmy, twisty stuff on my trail bike and why 26" bikes work well for me, but like the idea of the 650b for a little added roll.

One thing to consider with shorter seat tubes is that it puts a little more stress on the seat clamp area of dropper posts (my experience at least), even when post lowered. I was surprised to have cracked my upper seat clamp mast in half while on mellow XC trail ride not long ago and think having the extra seatpost exposure contributed to that (saddle was centered on the rails with leveled saddle tilt). A 16.8"/23.5" reach/TT for medium with 16.2" seat tube is little off and too short IMO. Medium Warden is 1/2" longer than my medium Rune V2, but 3/4" shorter at seat tube. Too bad, cause I like everything else structurally about the the Warden with perfect length and geometry for trail slaying.
    Bike manufacturers can't please everyone… You can have someone just the opposite of you with shorter legs and longer torso where the shorter seat stay helps….

Just get a large and run a 35mm stem

mtbr member
    Bike manufacturers can't please everyone… You can have someone just the opposite of you with shorter legs and longer torso where the shorter seat stay helps….

We think too much alike FNG. I was just going to suggest a large with a 35mm long stem...Or an IBIS Mojo HD. The HD has exactly the opposite set up. Too much seat post with not enough reach. Problem is, Jgusta will probably break that also!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member

Good suggestion, but would still be too long with 17.9" reach in a large. Would have to run like a 0 or 10mm stem and WB is still too long for my liking with large as well. Problem seems to be that large sized AM bikes are getting too big for me (always ran small large sized frames in past, or large mediums) and medium sized frames are getting smaller. So the 5'10" rider (overall avg. height of males in US, not sure of Canada though) is left in limbo. If guys can't run a 6" dropper post on their frames, they should get a smaller frame or stick with a shorter dropper

Lee (bubba 13), you don't count with your +6'2" height and giraffe torso on a large HD's are nice rides, but too tall BB/SO for my liking. But yes, the reach of those in large w/50-60 stem fits about perfect.

Sorry about the whinning, just love everything else about the Warden on paper and appearance, minus the shorter seat tube compared to other mediums.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    From the pics, it looks like the Warren seat tube is a tubing cutter away from being a full inch shorter. Don't forget to file in your keyhole.
    Supply Side Jesusnomosist

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    From the Warden pic (Medium?) posted on their website, the vertical cut to allow effective seatpost clamping looks awfully close to the seat tube/top tube weld juncture. Will this pose a risk in the long run? If the seat tube was 1/2" longer would this be reduced?

And before the "how often do you intend on loosening the seat collar if you have a dropper post?" come in, there are some that still use a QR clamp with a regular post. Simply thinking out loud...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    From the Warden pic (Medium?) posted on their website, the vertical cut to allow effective seatpost clamping looks awfully close to the seat tube/top tube weld juncture. Will this pose a risk in the long run? If the seat tube was 1/2" longer would this be reduced?

And before the "how often do you intend on loosening the seat collar if you have a dropper post?" come in, there are some that still use a QR clamp with a regular post. Simply thinking out loud...
    Good questions as I manually adjust my 150 KS dropper post all the time with QR clamp when needing extra height for doing long grinds at times or lower it some when needing more than 6" drop for more aggro descending (usually 7" differential max climb to descend). Only on undulating XC trail riding do I not adjust the QR seat post clamp with dropper out of conveinance and not wanting to get off/on the bike all the time to adjust. Good questions Chromagftw!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    For "the masses" it will be fine. There are exceptions to everything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    socialMX, we got our wish. Reach is increased on the XL Warden by 10mm.

Knolly Bikes | Warden

Knomer
    socialMX, we got our wish. Reach is increased on the XL Warden by 10mm.

Knolly Bikes | Warden
    Nice catch. Just posted that up about 12 hours ago.

mtbr member
    Numbers are looking good. Large for me. Now on to the colors!

Knomer
    Numbers are looking good. Large for me. Now on to the colors!
    Raw, ano black, day glo green, and blue.

mtbr member
    SWEET. The day glo is nice but for me its a toss up between ano blk or blue. Now to decide & find a good out of state dealer to avoid taxes and pre order!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Day glo green large for me! Already got my pre-order in too!

^socal, go for blue. I love my Chili in blue

SWEET. The day glo is nice but for me its a toss up between ano blk or blue. Now to decide & find a good out of state dealer to avoid taxes and pre order!

mtbr member
    Is "Day Glow Green" the same color as "Team Green" that is offered in the limited edition of Chilcos?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Down already with pre-order: 1 small Blue and 1 medium Raw

Is "Day Glow Green" the same color as "Team Green" that is offered in the limited edition of Chilcos?
    Take a look at 2:40 (Chilcotin Slideshow). Unless my eyes are bad or the lighting is deceiving I believe they are not the same....

Knolly Bikes | Media

mtbr member
    Saw the Sedona Knolly dealer plug on FB. I'll be in town for X'mas/NYE. Are there any Warden demos available? Might be my only chance to demo one.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    Down already with pre-order: 1 small Blue and 1 medium Ra

Take a look at 2:40 (Chilcotin Slideshow). Unless my eyes are bad or the lighting is deceiving I believe they are not the same....

Knolly Bikes | Media
    Yeah, definitely one out of the two looks darker. Thanks and good catch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm pretty sure the team green (that was at rampage 2012) is the same color as day glo green. I spoke with Kevin about the limited edition Chilcotins and the color was referred to as day glo green.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does it have internal seatpost cable routing?

No known cure
    I went through the entire thread and didn't see a shock length. Anyone?
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It's on the knolly site: 7.875 X 2.25

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by KineticFear View Post
    I'm pretty sure the team green (that was at rampage 2012) is the same color as day glo green. I spoke with Kevin about the limited edition Chilcotins and the color was referred to as day glo green.
    This is correct. Team green is day glo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The shock length is posted on the Knolly website.
    Shock size: 7.875 x 2.25

Knomer
    Saw the Sedona Knolly dealer plug on FB. I'll be in town for X'mas/NYE. Are there any Warden demos available? Might be my only chance to demo one.
    I don't think there will be any Warden demos in Sedona at year's end. There might be a medium in the Phoenix area for a couple weeks after Knollifest.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by martinzone View Post
    Does it have internal seatpost cable routing?
    Yes.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast