Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Knolly hardtail? Something in 27.5/26 compatible guise...

I have been kicking the idea of a hard tail around lately. Something for those rides with short punchy climbs and moderate tech. A frame that I don't have to worry about maintaining after a wet winter ride. Also something that could work well on a pump track if it was set up properly.

Enter the 27.5/26 hard tail frame in aluminum. Run a 150/140 fork with travel adjust. Install wide 35-40mm 27.5 rims for trail riding with a 12 1/4 to 12 1/2" bottom bracket height. Want to go pump track? Throw on some fast 2.2 26' wheels, drop the fork travel and enjoy the super low BB.

There are currently only a few 27.5 hard tails available. None of them have the geometry I have come to expect from Knolly. (plus the added bonus of an angled seat tube to help get that seat out of the way) 29er hard tails are popular, but I have not ridden one I want to spend my hard earned money on. I think a Knolly hard tail designed around 27.5 with common parts from other frames in the lineup could be a smash hit. It would get a price point frame in the lineup and become a quiver bike for advanced riders.

Opinions?
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    chromag stylus or samurai if I was getting a hardtail frame.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    http://tweedlove.com/

mtbr member
    My temporary Chilco replacement....
    Awesome and fun bike.

Knolly hardtail?  Something in 27.5/26 compatible guise...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    This is the rough list of 26" hard tails that I found during my search for one. Check the forums, a LOT of these are 650b compatible.

Santa Cruz Chameleon
    On One 456 Evo
    Dailled Price Albert
    Cove Stiffee/Handjob
    Chromag Stylus/Apeture
    Cotic BFe
    Transition TransAM
    FireEye Flame
    Privee Shan Classic
    NS Surge
    Commencal Ramones
    Privee Shan

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    check out the new look 2014 chromags,,,, our stylus frames are shipping anytime now, cant wait to get them and build them up and go out shredding.

mtbr member
    A new Evil Sovereign frame is coming, lower and slacker than the last one, so a little birdie told me. Just saying.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

650B Evil Sovereign V2

The old faithful V2 Evil Sovereign bastardized to 650B front and rear. BB is too high for pump tracking (14.2" unseated) with 160mm fork however. Great for slow techie obstacle strewn trails though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly hardtail?  Something in 27.5/26 compatible guise...-20130628_100531_resized.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looking at that makes me miss mine already. LOL
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    chromag stylus or samurai if I was getting a hardtail frame.
    chromags just look so dated.lol

in all seriousness they are great bikes. i'm on the fence on whethere to sell my chili, but without a doubt i'll always have my chromag

local trails rider
    The list of tough aluminum hardtails isn't all that long nowadays.
    My Banshee Scirocco frame is staying with me, in whatever capacity I happen to need it.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw View Post
    The old faithful V2 Evil Sovereign bastardized to 650B front and rear. BB is too high for pump tracking (14.2" unseated) with 160mm fork however. Great for slow techie obstacle strewn trails though.
    Very nice. Might breath new life into my V1 and do the same. What fork is that?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Very exciting to read about a new Evil Sovereign on the Knolly forum! I ride a Sov & love it. Slightly lower BB would be nice but I like the HA for my tight XC trails.

I would be excited to read about a Knolly hardtail, too! I wish I had the spare dough for an Endo...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply's on other possible frames that are available or slated to be. I used to own an Evil Soverign but never quite got along with it due to fit issues. (xl would have worked better) Would rather not stay with 26" wheels for a hard tail. The Soverign got hung up quite often out on the trails around here.

I should have mentioned there are a number of factors I am looking for in a frame. Steel works fine but I would prefer aluminum with a shaped top tube for better stand over and less weight. A few other wants include a 142 x12 rear axle, standard threaded BB, 31.6 seat post and geometry/fit as close as possible to my Chilcotin and Endorphin. I would also like to see clearance for the largest 27.5 tires available. Maxxis has a 2.4 Ardent coming out in 27.5 that has my interest. Also would like to run wide rims in the 35 to 40mm range for the ability to run low tire pressure and keep the sidewalls stable.

I did get a ride on a Kona Explosif and it is something to consider. The location of the seat was the main problem with that one. I could not get the seat back far enough and don't want to run a lay back post. Another option that is close with exception of the ETT / seat tube length is the Carver 420 Ti set up with 27.5 wheels... This is not something I really need, but it could be a fun addition to the quiver.

mtbr member
    Currently have a Jamis Kromo DJ 26" SS as the winter mud bike. Great compliance from the 27.2 seat post tubeless tires. Really surprised how the frame is stiff when stuffing a berm but doesn't try to kill you at speed in the rougher stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Very nice. Might breath new life into my V1 and do the same. What fork is that?
    2012 Fox Vanilla RC2 (160mm). Front clearance with a 2.3" Neo Moto is fine. The 2.35" Hans Dampf worked but too little arch clearance for my liking. No problem with rear clearance even with wheel slammed. Might have an issue though if running front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    chromags just look so dated.lol

in all seriousness they are great bikes. i'm on the fence on whethere to sell my chili, but without a doubt i'll always have my chromag
    as i said in my previous statement..... CHECK OUT THE NEW 2014 CHROMAGS,,, they have been updated, looks cool. cant wait to get mine, should be shipping anyday now.

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is a timely thread as I am thinking of complementing my 2010 Endo (size large) with a Chromag Stylus. My Endo has an effective TT of ~24.5 inches (622mm) by my tape measure and eyeball. I see on Knolly's website a new Chilcotin (L) is 625mm so basically the same. I am very happy with the Endo geometry wise - comfortable riding everything including the small jumps and drops I do. My question is what recommendations would other Knolly/Chromag owners have re Chromag frame size? A large Stylus only has a 23.5" effective TT and an XL has a 24" effective TT. I would use the Stylus for everything from commuting to dirt jumps. Seems weird I would have to buy an XL sized frame to most closely match my Endo? I am 5'11". thx!

mtbr member
    Name:  1377080_569763686406852_1288294336_n.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  10.7 KB Knolly hardtail?  Something in 27.5/26 compatible guise...-1403712_570768626306358_521033074_o.jpg

mtbr member
    or a gypsy..

Knolly hardtail?  Something in 27.5/26 compatible guise...-1073938_10151441444186901_1502176955_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    bubba, have you considered a 29er hardtail? Cotic, Salsa, Canfield, Niner, Pivot, Open, Nicolai are some good examples. I'm looking at that for myself with a rigid carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Name:  1377080_569763686406852_1288294336_n.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  10.7 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1403712_570768626306358_521033074_o.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	841493
    chris,,,
    where did you find them photos... i looked everywhere for pics of the new stylus,,,,
    we got a white and yellow currently on route from chromag, should be here next week

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LWK View Post
    This is a timely thread as I am thinking of complementing my 2010 Endo (size large) with a Chromag Stylus. My Endo has an effective TT of ~24.5 inches (622mm) by my tape measure and eyeball. I see on Knolly's website a new Chilcotin (L) is 625mm so basically the same. I am very happy with the Endo geometry wise - comfortable riding everything including the small jumps and drops I do. My question is what recommendations would other Knolly/Chromag owners have re Chromag frame size? A large Stylus only has a 23.5" effective TT and an XL has a 24" effective TT. I would use the Stylus for everything from commuting to dirt jumps. Seems weird I would have to buy an XL sized frame to most closely match my Endo? I am 5'11". thx!
    my dt was medium, my delirium was medium, my podium is medium, my endorphin is medium, my styus is medium and my new stylus is also medium. cols bikes ( demo 8, chilcotin,stylus) are all mediums to.
    we are 5'10, i find the mediums fit me fine, cant say ive noticed much differance between my medium knollys or medium stylus.
    i do like my frames on the shorter side though, as i like smaller chuckable more playful bikes.
    the stylus really is a fantastic do it all bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    chris,,,
    where did you find them photos... i looked everywhere for pics of the new stylus,,,,
    we got a white and yellow currently on route from chromag, should be here next week
    I had to go to Japan! but it was worth it: https://www.facebook.com/chromagjapan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    as i said in my previous statement..... CHECK OUT THE NEW 2014 CHROMAGS,,, they have been updated, looks cool. cant wait to get mine, should be shipping anyday now.
    i was joking. i didn't think the previous generation was dated. mine has a 44mm headtube and a 31.6mm seat tube, that's new enough for me. tapered fork and dropper seatpost compatible

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    bubba, have you considered a 29er hardtail? Cotic, Salsa, Canfield, Niner, Pivot, Open, Nicolai are some good examples. I'm looking at that for myself with a rigid carbon fork.
    Yes, I have considered a 29 hard tail. As long as I can get 142x12, threaded BB, 31.6 seat post and fun to ride I may willing to try. The Niner ROS checks all of those boxes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast