Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    crashes in parkinglot
    frame -- Knolly Endorphin w/ RP23, grey/purple ano, Med
    fork -- Fox 36 talas
    headset -- King
    wheels -- Hadley / 819 / Sapim CX Ray
    brakes -- Shimano XT, 160 front, 160 rear (hose needs some trimming)
    handlebar -- Azonic (?) 1" rise
    stem -- 70mm Thomson
    seatpost -- RockShox Reverb (hose needs some trimming)
    saddle -- Brooks Swift
    crankset -- Hive/ E13 E13 bash, 36t / 22t rings
    pedals -- Time Atac Alium
    cassette -- SRAM 990 (orange)
    shifters -- SRMAN XO
    front D -- Shimano SLX
    rear D -- SRAM XO Med cage
    tires -- Conti Trial King / Rubber Queen 2.4

Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Picked up my Endo this afternoon. Looks great. Shake down ride and pics tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Finished Endo with Trail dog in training. Heading out on shakedown ride now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Endorphin:  Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc_6859.jpg  

Knolly Endorphin:  Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc_6870.jpg  

mtbr member

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by erringtonnc
    Finished Endo with Trail dog in training. Heading out on shakedown ride now.
    Great looking bike and dog! That color is sweet! How much does the bike weigh? What do you think about the Bronsons? I have the 2.3front and 2.1 rear with 2 ride on them and so far they have been great in every aspect!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks. It weighs 32lb on the nose. I am liking the tires so far. The conditions are less than ideal here at the moment and they grip very well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've had a couple of good rides on the Endo and I am liking it a lot. A quick note about the Bronson's I have had two slow flats in two rides, one front and one back. The trail conditions here are less than ideal as there are many sharp branches and such everywhere. So until conditions improve I'll reserve judgement, but did think it was worth mentioning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Endorphin:  Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc_6876.jpg  

Knolly Endorphin:  Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc_6875.jpg  

Knolly Endorphin:  Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc_6874.jpg  

Knolly Endorphin:  Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc_6873.jpg  

Delirious Tuck
    What tubes/no tubes system are you running?

Not sure where you're riding or your riding style, but I was happy with the Kenda Telonix for sheer super grip and have heard from some regular riding companions that the Maxxis Minon single ply are plenty fast and grippy. I ran speshy purgatories and nevegals on the Endo and was fine with them, nevegals were little sluggish though. The speshy purgatories have also been a sweet tire in 26 & 29 form around these parts - grips but not slow... (Sprain, Mianus, Trumbull, Millers Pond, Blue Mt., Holyoke Range)

Trails probably need another solid week or so after the blizzard I'm looking out the window at... tread lightly!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar
    What tubes/no tubes system are you running?

Not sure where you're riding or your riding style, but I was happy with the Kenda Telonix for sheer super grip and have heard from some regular riding companions that the Maxxis Minon single ply are plenty fast and grippy. I ran speshy purgatories and nevegals on the Endo and was fine with them, nevegals were little sluggish though. The speshy purgatories have also been a sweet tire in 26 & 29 form around these parts - grips but not slow... (Sprain, Mianus, Trumbull, Millers Pond, Blue Mt., Holyoke Range)

Trails probably need another solid week or so after the blizzard I'm looking out the window at... tread lightly!
    Yeah riding looks to be on hold for another week due to the weather, that's why I went on a longer ride yesterday.

I am glad you asked about the tubes as it made me go and take a look. The front was a bonty 1.75 - 2.125 tube and I can only presume the rear was the same as I can't find it right now. The tires are 2.3's so technically the tubes were to small. I've replaced them with 1.9-2.35 tubes and have upped the pressure from 38 to 42 PSI front and rear. I'll report back with any issues that arise.

P.S.

I think we rode at Mianus a few times 2-3 years back when I was just getting back into mountain biking again. I had a green and blue Vicious Metal Guru hardtail. If memory serves me correctly you had a Delirium T and had just taken delivery of a works red intense(tracer?).

Bike to the Bone...
    I'm updating with latest information.

Frame: Medium Endorphin
    Fork: RS Lyric Coil Uturn (stock spring)
    Shock: Manitou Evolver ISX-6
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Stem: Straitline
    Bar: Straitline
    Grips: Ourly Lock On
    Shifters: Sram X.9
    Front der: Shimano XT
    Rear der: Sram X.9 mid cage
    Crankset: Shimano SLX 3 ring.
    Pedals: Nukeproofs
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R (8" front / 7" rear)
    Wheels: DT Swiss D5.1 rims, Hope Pro II (front) Hope Bulb (rear)
    Tires: Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 front and rear
    Seatpost: Sycros Derived, looks pretty tougth and nice.
    Saddle: WTB Pure V

The changes I've made was replacing Hone crankset for SLX, which was pretty nice, it does feel stiffer.
    I tried the Lyric with the xfirm spring, but just moved to the stock spring. So far, I pretty like it. I have around 28% sag with the stock spring, and the initial ride it feels a lot more balanced than the xfirm (although at 230lbs, I should be using the xfirm, but I only got around 20mm of sag, which is about 12% sag).
    I replaced the Louises brakes for Elixirs. I also moved to a larger rear rotor (from 6 to 7"). The rear rotor I think is overkill, and probably too much, I got to lock the rear tire and have to adjust, probably will replace rear rotor later on.
    Changed stem for a shorter one (from 80 to 50mm), and the handlebar just for vanity reason (same color/brand as stem), and also lowered the stem position.
    Wheels, I really, really, really, didn't like the Nobby Nics! I have more than a year on the RQ and they're waaaay better, probably the tires that I must like. I still want to try the Big Bettys, but I'm in no rush to try them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    OK, no photo just now as I cant upload from work.

New to me Endorphin, coverd about 150miles on it on varied terrain.

Build as follows
    M Ano Frame with RP23
    Rockshox Lyric 2 step air (Heavy forks these...)
    FSA Orbit MX heaset
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    Easton Haven Bars and Lizard Skins Charger Grips
    SLX Brakes, 203 Front 180 Rear
    Thomson Seatpost
    SDG Bel Air Ti saddle
    Chromag QR
    X9 Shifters
    X9 Rear Mech
    XT Front Mech
    RaceFace Deus Crank and BB, Middle Burn rings, 36t + 22t
    990 cassette and 971 chain
    Blackspire C4 ring god
    Time ATAC Carbon pedals
    Hope Hubs with Mavic 819 Rims
    2.35 UST Highroller Rear Tubeless
    2.35 supertacky Minion Front (single ply, non ust tyre but inflated tubeless with sealant)

Weight is about 32-33lbs

After a few long rides I really like the way the bike rides but it is a little heavier than I'd like.

I'd love to hear weight saving ideas to get the thing down to 30lbs....

I'm really keen to drop some weight from this build. I considered for a while swapping wheels for a light wheelset such as mavic xmax ST or similar but in my experience its great untill it goes wrong and then its a worl of pain.
    Perhaps I should build up some pro2 hubs with sapim laser or cxray spokes and go for lighter forks.
    Last edited by ramesesniblick3; 03-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    slx brakes are not light especially with big rotors. look into formula r1, hope, xtr or magura martas or the new line mt8 or mt6

there is alot of weight in rotors alone, formula r1 or magura storm sl could save you 3 to 4 ounces alone and then if you knock the size down to 180/160 you could save an aditional 2-3 ounces per set.

i just changed out brakes for a friend from the avid cr mag with carbon levers 185/185 to magura martas (non carbon) 180/160 (sl not storm sl) and he lost 7 ounces off the bike.

other than that, it's the fork and wheels, you've already mentioned, but still sub 30 with a 160 fork is really, really tough. i got mine to 30 lbs and 5 ounces with 2010 fox float 36, selle italia slr seat, cb 2 ti candy pedals, dt 1750/minions run tubeless and all xtr.
    could of been sub 30 with rp23, i had dhx air

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah, I reckon you're right.

I think I will put on a lighter rear tyre. perhaps downsize the brakes a little. I might try out a revelation fork too. Although I do really like the 2step lyrik

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ramesesniblick3,

I think that the most effective weight loss on a bike is going to come from decreasing rotational mass such as wheels, tires, tubes etc.It is a tough decision to make as the Endo is such a capable and solid bike that it would be a shame to create a weak point just to save a little weight. IMO the Lyrik is a great fork the Endo. I have a Lyrik Coil U turn and would not want to compromise on the performance to save a little weight. That being said The Fox Floats are getting a lot of good press and will save some weight.

My Endo is 2-3lbs heavier than my old Intense 6.6 and it rides the ups so much better than the 6.6 in fact if I did not know the weights of both bikes I would swear that the Endo was several pounds lighter, it just seems to sit in and grind out the climbs. All that being said I too would like to see my bike weigh in at 30lb. If I was serious about getting the weight down I'd probably go with a Fox Float 36 160mm. a lightweight tubeless wheelset and tires and 160mm rotors. Although looking at your build, your wheelset shouldn't be that heavy, do you happen to know the weight? You can also drop some weight by going with a lighter crankset and brakes. It could end up being an expensive couple of pounds.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ramesesniblick3
    Yeah, I reckon you're right.

I think I will put on a lighter rear tyre. perhaps downsize the brakes a little. I might try out a revelation fork too. Although I do really like the 2step lyrik
    Personally, I would keep the Lyric. I think that performance is better than weight. While I don't think that there is a huge performance gap between the Rev and the Lyric, I also don't think there's a huge difference in weight to justify it.

The Endo is the heaviest bike that I've had (I had before a Titus Moto Lite), but I have been able to ride farther, fastest and climb better with it. I do think that weight is important, but it's not the most important thing.

Very nice bike, btw...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Weight saving ideas:

BOS Deville
    Formula brakes
    SDG I-beam and saddle
    Hope/Flow's with RQ's or new MK's

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A bos Deville or a Float would save 400g for sure but the down side is the climbing. Things get very steep round here and the front end 'wanders' uncontroably on technical stuff with the Lyriks set to 160mm so a travel dropping fork is a must have for me.
    So a rev 150 or a 36 Talas would be the only forks worth it at the moment. But its huge money when the lyrics work so well.

The wheelset I have on there is about 1855g so there's not a lot to come out of that and stay strong. Flow rims are heavier than 819's (though theres extra hardware with the 819's) and hope hubs are quite light.

I think the only way would be perhaps

Wheels - Mavic xmax st (saves 230g)
    Tyres - Something such as Bronson 2.1 TCS (-300g)
    Bars - Carbon (-100g)
    Brakes - Formula / Magura MT etc (-300g ?)
    I beam set up (-100g)

thats just over 1000g so 2.2lbs

Like eningtonnc said.... expensive couple of lbs

I think I'll pop some faster rolling tyres on there and pedal harder!

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Flow rims are heavier than 819's (though theres extra hardware with the 819's) and hope hubs are quite light.
    I'm not sure about this. Black Flow's weigh about 470 while the 819's weigh about 475 without the eyelets. I think when you add in the eyelets the 819's are 515 or so.

crashes in parkinglot
    I was also hoping to build up my Endo to 30 or less, but there are some things I won't give up, big tires, 2.3 or bigger, just works well for me in CO and my hack riding style and sharp rocks. Now that I've got some time on the Reverb, I'm pretty sure it would be hard for me to give that up too. I have not weighed mine Endo yet, I'm guess it hits in the 33 +/- 2 pound range, and it does really well.

Got some desert high speed chunk to throw at it last weekend, and it was fantastic. Even climing up to the top of the Gunny Loop (in Grand Junction CO) wasn't bad. Hoping to get it out to Holy Cross and the entrance of HorseTheifBench (not saying I'll make it all the way down HTB,but..) this weekend if time permits.
    Down is the new up.

ಠ_ಠ
    OK, no photo just now as I cant upload from work.

New to me Endorphin, coverd about 150miles on it on varied terrain.

Build as follows
    M Ano Frame with RP23
    Rockshox Lyric 2 step air (Heavy forks these...)
    FSA Orbit MX heaset
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    Easton Haven Bars and Lizard Skins Charger Grips
    SLX Brakes, 203 Front 180 Rear
    Thomson Seatpost
    SDG Bel Air Ti saddle
    Chromag QR
    X9 Shifters
    X9 Rear Mech
    XT Front Mech
    RaceFace Deus Crank and BB, Middle Burn rings, 36t + 22t
    990 cassette and 971 chain
    Blackspire C4 ring god
    Time ATAC Carbon pedals
    Hope Hubs with Mavic 819 Rims
    2.35 UST Highroller Rear Tubeless
    2.35 supertacky Minion Front (single ply, non ust tyre but inflated tubeless with sealant)

Weight is about 32-33lbs

After a few long rides I really like the way the bike rides but it is a little heavier than I'd like.

I'd love to hear weight saving ideas to get the thing down to 30lbs....

I'm really keen to drop some weight from this build. I considered for a while swapping wheels for a light wheelset such as mavic xmax ST or similar but in my experience its great untill it goes wrong and then its a worl of pain.
    Perhaps I should build up some pro2 hubs with sapim laser or cxray spokes and go for lighter forks.
    you're current build is the dog's bullocks! only thing i would change is the tyres. I recommend tubeless ready tyres instead of UST. My personal favorite is the Geax Lobo Loco 2.3 TNT. You must use some sealant with these tyres, but they have a UST bead.

Here's my build spreadsheet with weights; maybe this could give you a couple of ideas on how to shed some grams.

Endorphin Med. frame/ DHXc w/ Push Mx-Tune 3,992
    Industry Nine Enduro with Hadley Bolt-up 1,960
    Rock Shox Lyrik SoloAir RC2 2,204
    Magura Louise 180/160 Storm Rotors 915
    Geax Lobo Loco TNT 2.3 1,610
    Oury Lock-ons 132
    Race Face SixC Carbon 725mm 240
    SRAM X.0 250
    Thomson 70mm/0deg 142
    FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 124
    Jagwire 5mm 100
    Rock Shox Reverb 31.6/420mm 590
    Chromag Trailmaster DT 300
    Race Face SixC Carbon w/ Chris King BB 800
    Time Roc Atac Carbon 378
    XT 11/34 297
    SLX dual ring 143
    SRAM X.0 Med. Cage 194
    XTR w/ SRAM powerlink 275
    Total 32.26

mtbr member

My new Endorphin

Pulled most of the parts from my DW spot.

I stole the pic from Ry-daddy over on the AZ forum.

frame -- Large White Knolly Endorphin w/ RP23,
    fork -- Lyrik solo air
    headset -- 110
    wheels -- Hadley / 819
    brakes -- Elixir, 185 front, 160 rear
    handlebar -- answer pro taper 720 1" rise
    stem -- 70mm Thomson
    seatpost -- Thomson
    saddle -- WTB Laser V
    crankset -- SLX w/ Saint Bash guard
    pedals -- Shimano 647
    cassette -- XT
    shifters -- Sram
    front D -- XT
    rear D -- XT Shadow
    tires -- 2.35 Nevegal front/ 2.5 Maxxis UST DHF Rear
    Last edited by noosa2; 03-26-2011 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Knolly Endorphin

I finally finished my winter project. Below is the build spec:

Frame Knolly Endorphin w/ Fox RP23 Shock

Fork Rock Shox Revelation XX 150 Xloc

Wheelset Industry Nine All Mountain - Red/Black

Bottom Bracket/ Truvative Stylo 2.2 AM w/ Bashguard
    Crankset/Bashguard

Brakes Magura Louise Disc
    Rotors Magura Storm Rotor, 160mm

Headset Crank Brothers Opium C DH - black/red

Stem Thomson Elite 70mm, 0 degree - black

Handlebar Truvativ Noir Race Carbon

Seatpost Thomson Elite - black

Saddle PRO Components Vulture Max Saddle

Grips Portland Design Lock-ons

Tires (rear and front) WTB Bronson 2.3 AM

Chain Sram 991

Cassette Sram 990 DH - RED

Rear Der. Shimano XT (short cage)

Front Der. Shimano XT, Low clamp, top swing 35mm

Pedals Egg Beater SL or Platforms

Shifters Shimano SLX

Weight: 30 pounds flat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Endorphin:  Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-knolly-endorphin-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    reedallen.

That looks ace. I've just arranged a loan pair of Rev's from a pal so am going to try them and see how they feel in comparison to Lyriks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Endo + BOS

[IMG][IMG]P1000903[/IMG][/IMG]

Build:

160 BOS Deville
    BOS Stoy
    Saint Cranks 22/36
    BBG Bash
    Nukeproof ti pedals
    SRAM X9 RD + Chain
    XT FD
    SRAM X0 Controls
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    Burgtec 760mm Bar
    Hope Head Set
    SDG I - Beam Post and I- Fly Saddle
    Hope Hoops Stan Flow + Pro 2 Hubs
    DT RWS 10 x 135
    Continental 2.4 Rubber Queens 25psi F/28psi R
    Lizard Skin Lock-on Shorty Grips
    XTR Cassette 11 - 34

Total Weight 33lb

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Build:

160 BOS Deville
    BOS Stoy
    Saint Cranks 22/36
    BBG Bash
    Nukeproof ti pedals
    SRAM X9 RD + Chain
    XT FD
    SRAM X0 Controls
    Thomson 70mm Stem
    Burgtec 760mm Bar
    Hope Head Set
    SDG I - Beam Post and I- Fly Saddle
    Hope Hoops Stan Flow + Pro 2 Hubs
    DT RWS 10 x 135
    Continental 2.4 Rubber Queens 25psi F/28psi R
    Lizard Skin Lock-on Shorty Grips
    XTR Cassette 11 - 34

Total Weight 33lb
    [ENVY TONE]

Oh, my, what a boring bike..... it has all the good stuff, where is the fun in that?

[/ENVY TONE]

Upgrade your life

Endo OTW

...and a backup rig is born from spare parts and a killer deal on the endo frame.

Knolly Endorphin Large
    Fox RP23 Pushed
    XT Crankset
    XT Front Derailleur
    XT Rapid Rise Rear Derailleur
    XT Dual Control Shift/Brake Levers 9 Speed
    XT Brake Calipers
    XT Cassette
    Rockshox Pike 454 Coil Fork
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    Hope Seatpost Collar
    Gravity Light 50mm Stem
    Gravity Light 680mm Bars
    Chris King Headset
    ODI Rogue Lock On Grips
    Hope Pro 2 DT Swiss FR600 Wheelset
    Animal Flat Pedals

Im still waiting on some parts to arrive, but everything has been ordered and I hope to have her up and running within 3 weeks.

Enjoy!

J
    Im like a termite, i love wood features.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast