mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Knolly Chilcotin w/ DB Air CS - What are your current settings?

Hi all,

New to the forums. Recently picked up a 2014 XL Knolly Chilcotin. Super stoked on this. I'm new to the DB Air CS. Been testing out several setting options and reading up...but figured I'd just see what everyone was running as far as settings?

I'm 6'4 208lbs. It seems the majority of riders here average around the 6' 170lb range. Just curious if any of you have ironed out your settings on the shock and what your thoughts are for that setup?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by w8kbrder View Post
    Hi all,

New to the forums. Recently picked up a 2014 XL Knolly Chilcotin. Super stoked on this. I'm new to the DB Air CS. Been testing out several setting options and reading up...but figured I'd just see what everyone was running as far as settings?

I'm 6'4 208lbs. It seems the majority of riders here average around the 6' 170lb range. Just curious if any of you have ironed out your settings on the shock and what your thoughts are for that setup?

thanks!

I'm on a 2012 but added the CCDBA cs and new links last year. I'm 6'2" and around 215 now, with a range of 215-225 (lowers in the spring and summer)

I used the 2014 base tune and added 1/2 turn to Hsr and reduced Hsc by 1/4 turn. With my weight a tad lower I use between 150 and 155 air pressure.

The riding I do here is low to med speed tech with rocks ladders etc and a long fire road climb.

You may want to look at Dustys set up as well:
    150 psi
    Hsc 1/2 from open
    Lsc 15 from closed
    Hsr 1.5 from open
    Lsr 12 from closed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post
    I'm on a 2012 but added the CCDBA cs and new links last year. I'm 6'2" and around 215 now, with a range of 215-225 (lowers in the spring and summer)

I used the 2014 base tune and added 1/2 turn to Hsr and reduced Hsc by 1/4 turn. With my weight a tad lower I use between 150 and 155 air pressure.

The riding I do here is low to med speed tech with rocks ladders etc and a long fire road climb.

150 psi
    Hsc 1/2 from open
    Lsc 15 from closed
    Hsr 1.5 from open
    Lsr 12 from closed.
    Thank you so much for the reply. This helps tremendously. Cheers!

MarkyMark
    (Subscribed)

I'm following this thread trying to get my Fox 36 fork and DBAirCS shock dialed-in on my Chilcotin. I primarily ride in the Santa Cruz mountains. I don't know what my shock was set to when I got my frame and I've been tuning it a fair bit since without keeping track. It's really good when I'm climbing steep smooth trails, riding fast, and going downhill, but it's really off when I'm climbing in slow technical (rocky, rooty) terrain. I think it's getting both fork and shock to be balanced.

I might "reset" my shock (and fork) to restart from the Chilcotin base tune.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

150 psi
    Hsc 1/2 from open
    Lsc 15 from closed
    Hsr 1.5 from open
    Lsr 12 from closed.
    Just to confirm the above info, when you say "Open" you are referring to full counter-clockwise? And when you refer to "Closed", you are referring to full clockwise?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by w8kbrder View Post
    Just to confirm the above info, when you say "Open" you are referring to full counter-clockwise? And when you refer to "Closed", you are referring to full clockwise?
    I copied Dustys settings from another thread as he wrote them and kept them with my shock booklet.

The short answer is yes. Fully open counter clockwise. Fully closed clockwise.

The Cane Creek site has the base tunes for the Chilcotin with the cs. A great starting point if the shock was not already set up.

Yebo Numzaan
    Dont forget that you have that climb switch...which you can use for fire road climbs and basic technical climbing (when it gets rooty and rough - i take the CS off)....so dont hesitate to open up your LSC / LSR to make the bike more lively and supple over roots and rocks etc....the only time you may regret having the LSC / LSR open is if you really need to get out the saddle and hammer. I have a jump out of a corner that i need to pedal hard for and i can feel the bike moving under me...but thats the only time.

If you want to experiment - You could try 'bracketing'. Instead of making small adjustments..make big adjustments to your settings...ride a section of trail with say 1 click of LSC/LSR and ride the same section again...then go the other end of the scale 20 clicks and see which you prefer...then repeat adjusting each end of the scale by say 5 clicks (5 v 15) and see which you prefer...until you get to a setting that feels best
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Dont forget that you have that climb switch...which you can use for fire road climbs and basic technical climbing (when it gets rooty and rough - i take the CS off)....so dont hesitate to open up your LSC / LSR to make the bike more lively and supple over roots and rocks etc....the only time you may regret having the LSC / LSR open is if you really need to get out the saddle and hammer. I have a jump out of a corner that i need to pedal hard for and i can feel the bike moving under me...but thats the only time.

If you want to experiment - You could try 'bracketing'. Instead of making small adjustments..make big adjustments to your settings...ride a section of trail with say 1 click of LSC/LSR and ride the same section again...then go the other end of the scale 20 clicks and see which you prefer...then repeat adjusting each end of the scale by say 5 clicks (5 v 15) and see which you prefer...until you get to a setting that feels best
    I read your comments about this on another thread. Thought provoking approach. Perhaps I should experiment as well.
    I tend to run my Lsc and Lsr a little lower than Dusty per the 2014 base tune and due to my weight have chosen to leave these as is while altering the psi slightly instead.

MarkyMark
    So it's gotten better. I haven't changed any fork or shock settings. I found that I can turn the CS off and mash my way through the rocks and roots. Trying to finesse my way through doesn't seem to work for me on the Chili.

There's a short little tech climb on Manzanita at Skeggs Point and I've come close to clearing it twice. It's a good test and I know I'm on it if I can clean it. The trails are pretty dry/dusty right now and I'm still getting used to flats so it's a bit more difficult than normal. I stalled the first time (CS switch on) near the top. The second time I had the CS off and was pumping away standing up, but I lost my front (running in slack mode w/ 160mm fork) near the crest.

I think I'll get it next time.

mtbr member
    Hello.
    My setup for my 209 lbs on a Chilcotin L 2012
    165 psi
    HSC 2
    HSR 2
    LSC 15
    LSR 17

Is a mix between air (low) and air-cs (high).

MarkyMark
    I got back from 3 days of riding the bike park at Whistler. My Chili felt really good. I didn't change anything, other than adding +5 lbs of air to the shock on the 2nd day.

The weather was rolling in so I went down to Eugene, OR and rode the Mackenzie River Trail. 44 miles out and back. There's some technical bits over lava rocks by the Blue Pool and the Chili did good there as well. I was feeling it in my legs and lower back so I dialed it back and walked some stuff (having a dropper would have been nice).