Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

356K views 1K replies 204 participants last post by  MarkMass 
#1 ·
I guess now is the right time to start a new thread...

#1,214 ·
I've been out of the game for awhile, but after a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews the Stans Flow rims seem the best bang for the buck. Easy to install tires, easy to make tubeless, easy to build, durable, pretty good width, 490g and great even with tubes.

If I were to go the DT route which I ended up having too because of availability here I was tempted to use a FR600 rear and EX500 front... but I ended up sticking with EX500 front and rear... see how it goes. Especially here in Rocky and Rooty Newfoundland!

Spank Spike and Spank Subrosa Rims seem pretty good for the weight too.

I've ran mavic 729's and even after having several flats I've never dinged a rim.

#1,218 ·
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Yeah, the Boss fork is something I really wanted badly, I picked it up online at a major discount over the winter, otherwise, I'd not have been able to afford it. It's super smooth / zero maintenance / no horseshit gimmicks, just a solid super nice fork.

I looked at the DT rims you suggested, and I'm also looking now at the Mavic 818's...a notch below 823, but I'd save like 400 grams on the set....makes climbing noticably better I'd bet.

I'm still not sure if I should go with a dropper post or not... Might build it without one first.

#1,219 ·
Hey drewdude---You're way out there in Newfoundland! I always wondered what the terrain looks like there...any riding pics??? For now, I'm in Boston, soon to be moving back to New Mexico [thank god].

Strange as it may seem, I originally purchased an Ibis HDR frame, but I returned it after riding one at a demo day in vermont. Didn't feel like what I would be happy with. Then...I nearly bought myself an 'Evil'. But the more I read the more it seemed like the Chilcotin was the way to go for what I was looking for. I had an original Delerium quite a few years ago, and though 'heavy', it was super quality and I never forgot the quality of the ride. I really can't wait to ride this Chilcotin...especially since It'll be pretty light compared to my old Delerium...which was somewhat of a lung-punishing tank on long rides.

Also, 'Kore Durox' rims seem kinda nice. And I also looked at the 'Subrossa' by Spank, but I wonder how 'Spank' rims stand up? Because a wheelbuilder I know told me they're not comparable to 'Mavic' for strength...?

#1,230 ·
Hey drewdude---You're way out there in Newfoundland! I always wondered what the terrain looks like there...any riding pics??? For now, I'm in Boston, soon to be moving back to New Mexico [thank god].
Hey Skrool, I actually just moved here so i don't know much about it yet... but there are a couple sites that ive checked out... specifically the one for St. John's (where I live in Newfoundland ), and it seems great! I've actually hiked some of the trails and areas while visiting years ago, and i dreamed about riding them then! Check out this site:
Home

The west coast of Newfoundland seems to have some incredibly wild riding though... the trails are less developed and more raw though. There is some significant vertical too!

Good luck with the rim hunt! BTW I kind of agree with the whole wider rim thing.... I'd prefer a 25mm inner width for a 26 x 2.3 tire.

#1,220 ·
Hey Skrool,

Your rim choices are extremely limited if you stick with your 36 hole hubs. Very few 26" 36 hole rims now a days, and those that are still around are fairly outdated (narrow, and/or heavy). The Mavic 823 is a beast of a rim, I've been running them on my DH bike for years and just laced up a new rear rim (after 4 years). I'd love a wider and lighter set of rims but I'm also stuck with my trusty 36 hole Hadleys.

The Mavic 717s and 818s are decently strong but very narrow by today's standards. Mavic MTB rims are really due for a revamp.

Currently, my top rim choices for an aggressive trail bike are the Spank Oozy Trail295s and trusty Stan's Flow Ex. Neither of which are available in a 26" 36 hole.

Regarding your pre-built wheel choices... The early e13 TRS wheels had issues with the axle assembly that caused play and bearing failure. This has since been remedied. The wide flange hubs build up a nice stiff wheel. The hubs are LOUD.

Easton hubs have been cursed in all my experiences. No experience with Spinergy.

Stan's Flow EX rims laced to Hope are a popular and trusty pre built combo. The Spank Oozy Trail295 wheelset is also a great value. For a something higher end, I've been very impressed with I9 straight pull wheels. Very stiff, unlimited color combos, BLING, light, and fantastic hubs.

#1,221 ·
Thanks for the input

Hey Skrool,

Your rim choices are extremely limited if you stick with your 36 hole hubs. Very few 26" 36 hole rims now a days, and those that are still around are fairly outdated (narrow, and/or heavy). The Mavic 823 is a beast of a rim, I've been running them on my DH bike for years and just laced up a new rear rim (after 4 years). I'd love a wider and lighter set of rims but I'm also stuck with my trusty 36 hole Hadleys.

The Mavic 717s and 818s are decently strong but very narrow by today's standards. Mavic MTB rims are really due for a revamp.

Currently, my top rim choices for an aggressive trail bike are the Spank Oozy Trail295s and trusty Stan's Flow Ex. Neither of which are available in a 26" 36 hole.

Regarding your pre-built wheel choices... The early e13 TRS wheels had issues with the axle assembly that caused play and bearing failure. This has since been remedied. The wide flange hubs build up a nice stiff wheel. The hubs are LOUD.

Easton hubs have been cursed in all my experiences. No experience with Spinergy.

Stan's Flow EX rims laced to Hope are a popular and trusty pre built combo. The Spank Oozy Trail 295 wheelset is also a great value. For a something higher end, I've been very impressed with I9 straight pull wheels. Very stiff, unlimited color combos, BLING, light, and fantastic hubs.
Hey Brother-- Thanks for the input. I'm leaning away from using 36 hole. I guess because I rode a friends rig with 36hole which felt noticeably stiffer than the tired / old rims I'd been using for so many years, I might have formed an inaccurate view of what I should do.

Currently, I'm leaning toward using either a WTB Frequency i23 rim, or a Spank Oozy...both with I-9 hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. What I like about the WTB design is the additional beam of metal which runs inside the rims core. It should be noticably stiffer than the Oozy. I've heard people say that Spank rims are 'soft' and dent easy. But others seem to say otherwise. It's hard to know what is the truth. I seem to be set on custom build wheels, so factory wheels are no longer in the picture. [I want custom colors and unique look plus easy to replace parts etc.]

Do you have any experience with the WTB Kom rims? Or the Frequency i23 rims? I like the weight of the Kom, but the Frequency rim seems like it might be a heck of a lot more stout with that inner beam of metal at the core...something which no other rim seems to have, and yet, the weight is quite low. Seems like a good design to me. White Industry hubs are no longer in my picture...since they seem to have stopped making a front hub for 20mm through axle. ...and I don't want two different hubs on my bike. Shame, because I like Whites...been using them for 14 years. But I should be happy with the I-9, just have to get used to the 'noise' I guess.

Thanks man, for your input.

#1,233 ·
Unfortunately, I believe that is true. I got a frame last fall as a warranty replacement for an old Endorphin and was told they would be making the bike through this year... and browsing the PB adds the other day I noticed one shop selling Chili frames and stated "this was the last batch..."

#1,237 ·
There will be used frames around (though I can't imaging selling mine). Also, you may be able to work out a deal with a local shop....put 50% down, and have them hang it in their shop window for a few months. If you really want it, you will make it happen. You can also call and check stock status. They may be able to tell you approx how many frames are left. Then you can beg, borrow, steal to get it before they are gone. With so many 27.5 fanboi's out there, you might be able to get a deal, or work something out. Check with your local shop.

(BTW: I have no comment on whether this will be the last batch or not, as nothing has been announced as far as I know)

#1,239 ·
Oh, I'm not planning on buying secondhand. I want to buy a brand new one for myself. I've never bought myself a brand new one coz money's tight with school and all. I'd like to try that out though. Work something with my LBS, but it's all good. I'm not in a hurry. I'll just stick with my Blindside for now and see what happens next year. Thanks for the tips though!

#1,242 ·
Awww

Got some great time with Chilco. My SixC 35 bar got smashed into a tree and replaced with Havoc 35. Bike is a beast! Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame

Attachments

#1,243 ·
Looking for a good pair of freeride tires. I'm in the Houston area which is pretty flat so full downhill tires may not be the best option.

I found a pair of High Rollers (first gen) with 90% tread left for $40.

I also keep seeing the combo Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 2.5 (front) and
Maxxis Highroller II EXO 2.4 (rear) mentioned but it may be overkill for this terrain.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!

#1,246 ·
After much research over the last few years, it finally dawned on me. The cause of spontaneous human combustion MUST be 26" wheels. As soon as you hit the trails with 'em, boom!! Done. Over. Giganto explosion. They're just un-fun and obviously totally suck and are obsolete. Which is exactly why I had to buy a brand new Chilco.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

Bike setup:
* Frame Size & Color: Large Raw
* Rear Shock: Temp CTD until the new air can comes for my CCDBA CS
* Fork: Lyrik Solo Air DH 170mm
* Brakes: Shimano XT
* Shifter: SRAM X9 10 Speed
* Cranks: Race Face Atlas
* Chainguide: N/A
* Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 medium
* Pedals: HT AE03
* Stem: Renthal Apex 50mm
* Handlebar: Race Face Atlas 785
* Seatpost: Giant Connect
* Saddle: WTB Silverado
* Cassette: Shimano XT
* Headset: Cane Creek 40/e13
* Grips: ODI Ruffian
* Front Tire: Michelin AT
* Front Rim: Mavic 823
* Front Hub: Hadley
* Rear Tire: Nobby Nic 2.25
* Rear Rim: Mavic 721
* Rear Hub: Hadley

Thomson dropper and fresh tires are still to come, along with some fresh wheels when I'm less poor. I'm also waiting on new air can for my CCDBA CS, and that'll thankfully be in next week. Oh yeah, my bathroom scale says 31lbs, and that's obviously a precise and exact number haha. This thing is sweet. So sweet.

#1,247 ·
After much research over the last few years, it finally dawned on me. The cause of spontaneous human combustion MUST be 26" wheels. As soon as you hit the trails with 'em, boom!! Done. Over. Giganto explosion. They're just un-fun and obviously totally suck and are obsolete. Which is exactly why I had to buy a brand new Chilco.

View attachment 982130

Bike setup:
* Frame Size & Color: Large Raw
* Rear Shock: Temp CTD until the new air can comes for my CCDBA CS
* Fork: Lyrik Solo Air DH 170mm
* Brakes: Shimano XT
* Shifter: SRAM X9 10 Speed
* Cranks: Race Face Atlas
* Chainguide: N/A
* Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 medium
* Pedals: HT AE03
* Stem: Renthal Apex 50mm
* Handlebar: Race Face Atlas 785
* Seatpost: Giant Connect
* Saddle: WTB Silverado
* Cassette: Shimano XT
* Headset: Cane Creek 40/e13
* Grips: ODI Ruffian
* Front Tire: Michelin AT
* Front Rim: Mavic 823
* Front Hub: Hadley
* Rear Tire: Nobby Nic 2.25
* Rear Rim: Mavic 721
* Rear Hub: Hadley

Thomson dropper and fresh tires are still to come, along with some fresh wheels when I'm less poor. I'm also waiting on new air can for my CCDBA CS, and that'll thankfully be in next week. Oh yeah, my bathroom scale says 31lbs, and that's obviously a precise and exact number haha. This thing is sweet. So sweet.
Sweet man!! I especially love the precursor! How do you find the geo with the lyric in steep mode?

#1,249 ·
I thought I'd read somewhere about the seat stays on some Chilcotins hitting the seat tube on big bottom outs. Mine does this and there's a little area where the paint is chipped off. I ended up putting a small piece of Lizardskins Carbon Leather chain stay protector over it, but definitely more of a band aid. Can anyone else speak to this?

#1,251 ·
Bottom Bracket Spacers....? Anyone know about this...?

Anyone know offhand if I need to use any spacers on my Chilcotin bottom bracket installation? I have XTR bottom bracket and cranks [2014]. I'm not certain if I need to use a spacer on the drive side? I'm running 2x. ....Right now I'm installing the Hope brake lines and shifters, but I'm holding off on the cranks for now because I'm not certain about the drive-line setup... Can't wait to ride it.

#1,253 · (Edited)
Sorry bikelust, but I think you are wrong on needing 3 spacers on a 73mm BB shell that the Knollys have. I'm running a Blackspire Stinger ISCG-05 with 1 spacer on the drive side only
with a XT crank running it 1x10. Working just fine. 3 spacers would be more for a 68mm BB shell.

#1,254 ·
Sorry Skrool, but I think you are wrong on needing 3 spacers on a 73mm BB shell that the Knollys have. I'm running a Blackspire Stinger ISCG-05 with 1 spacer on the drive side only
with a XT crank running it 1x10. Working just fine. 3 spacers would be more for a 68mm BB shell.
Thanks for the input Guys. I guess I should try using only 1 spacer on the Drive Side then? I'm running a 10x on the rear, and 2x on the front. Not using a chain guide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.