Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

356K views 1K replies 204 participants last post by  MarkMass 
#1 ·
I guess now is the right time to start a new thread...

#1,106 ·
Ive had a couple of rides on them and so far they have been rather unremarkable, which I guess is a good thing. Its hard to say how they compare ride wise vs what I was riding before because I switched to completely different bike/set up vs what I used to ride if that makes sense. I can tell you I weigh about 250lbs geared up and they carry me along with no complaints. Id like to be able to tell you how they perform when jumping/dropping, but alas I also switched to flat pedals when I built my Chilli and for some reason I'm finding difficult to commit to certain sections I wouldn't think twice about while clipped in....Its really annoying actually.

#1,107 ·
Last piece of the puzzle

Finally got the last big purchase for the chilcotin, Light Bicycle 33mm carbon rims. The bike is pretty much exactly how I want it (yea I could have some fancy group but SLX is 100% fine for me). I will be riding this bike until it breaks, then it will be wall art. Knomer for life!

-Large frame
-Avy Lyrik coil/avy dhx 4 w/ ti spring
-Full SLX group
-KS i950
-Deity bars/transition stem
-Hope pro 2 evo hubs, LB 33mm carbon rims (Schwalbe HD front, Spec GC UST rear)
-MRP G2
-Spank spike pedals
-WTB saddle

33.58 lbs

Bicycle Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire

#1,108 ·
It is here!! The guys at Wrench Science in Berkeley CA really hooked it up. So here is the build info:

Frame: 2013 Team Orange Chilcotin (Med)
Fork: Rock Shox Pike (160mm)
Shock: Cane Creek DB Air
XT drive train
Seatpost: KS Lev
Saddle: Joystick Emulator
Handlebars: RaceFace SixC
Stem: RaceFace Turbine (70mm)
Wheelset: Stans ZTR Flow EX
Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf
Hubs: Hope Evo Pro 2's
Grips: ODI Rouge Clamp Ons
Every thing in Blue if possible.

As you can see I tried to stay as Canadian as possible. So here are the pics, hopefully she will never be this clean again!

Bicycle Tire Plant Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Sports equipment Wood Bicycle handlebar Rock-climbing equipment Electrical wiring

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

#1,124 ·
I just sold my Chili and I'm kicking myself for doing it.
It was just an over kill for the trails that I'm riding now so I'm saving for a Warden.
The sad thing is I just installed a new Avalance cartage in the fork and a Woody shock.
This is one bike that I will truly miss. :cryin:

I sold it with out the Woody shock so if anyone is interested in a great shock let me know, I will let it go for a great price.

#1,125 ·
A couple of months in..

So Ive a couple of solid moths on my Chilcotin and Im quite happy with it. Admittedly the Slash I had prior climbed a bit better when it came to smooth dirt/gravel road climbs. But outside of that the Chilly owns it hand down. The Slash took a bit of man handling when it came to railing berms, the Knolly however is out freaking standing. The way it just settles into its travel and sticks when your coming around is hard to put into words. The other thing thats glaring obvious comparing the two is how active the rear end is even while braking making it very predictable, and smoother in the chunk, and pretty easy to plow if thats your thing. Im not the best when it comes to jumping but I really cant tell any difference between the 2. Dropping however is pretty much just a matter of holding and letting the bike do its thing.

The Nobl carbon wheels have held up without a hiccup even with my 250lb weight and the occasional trip to the bike park. Im quite happy with them. And just because here another pic.

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant Wheel Crankset

#1,126 ·
So Ive a couple of solid moths on my Chilcotin and Im quite happy with it. Admittedly the Slash I had prior climbed a bit better when it came to smooth dirt/gravel road climbs. But outside of that the Chilly owns it hand down. The Slash took a bit of man handling when it came to railing berms, the Knolly however is out freaking standing. The way it just settles into its travel and sticks when your coming around is hard to put into words. The other thing thats glaring obvious comparing the two is how active the rear end is even while braking making it very predictable, and smoother in the chunk, and pretty easy to plow if thats your thing. Im not the best when it comes to jumping but I really cant tell any difference between the 2. Dropping however is pretty much just a matter of holding and letting the bike do its thing.

The Nobl carbon wheels have held up without a hiccup even with my 250lb weight and the occasional trip to the bike park. Im quite happy with them. And just because here another pic.

View attachment 906760
I would be interested in a more detailed comment on the Nobl wheels. What do you like about them? How have they differed from what you had before? Etc.

tw

#1,127 ·
I have the rims built up with kings and X-ray spokes. They are holding up great this far. A few good rock strikes from under inflated tires and lack of grace through tech sessions, but no visible damage to the rims. They are hooked, which doesn't seem to be an issue. If you want to run them with Stan's strips, you will need valve extensions as the rims are deep, and anything less than a 42mm valve stem will make it impossible to attach a pump to inflate. I will be converting mine to tubeless in the next few weeks and can update you on how that goes if you like.

As far as likes and dislikes, the only complaint I would have is that the machining where they cut the hook in the rim sidewall isn't absolutely perfect. This is only noticeable when in a truing stand, but it makes you think the rim is slightly out of radial true. I don't think this is uncommon in aluminum rims either, but I thought I would mention it. Pretty much everything else I can say about them is great. They are lighter than the old velocity VXC cross country rims I had on my XC bike at under 400g. They are as stiff if not stiffer than the mavic 721s I was running and are similar in width. I've put dents in the 721s that have left the nobl rims visibly unaffected. It's my first season on them so I can't comment on their long term durability but it looks good so far. They have also taken a couple rock strikes on the sides which have left visible scratches, but again seem to only be cosmetic.

BL

#1,129 ·
As expected, bike feels more peppy on climbs due to the lighter weight. On the downs, they are as stiff or stiffer than my 721s. A little more predictable in the corners maybe? Tire pressure and tire choice will make a bigger difference on the down.

#1,134 ·
The pike is awesome! I can't say enough about it. Mine is not the dual position, I was considering going that way since I do a lot of climbing but my buddy has a Lyrik that is Dual Position and he is always messing with it while we are riding and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. I only notice the front end wondering on really steep stuff where its hard to keep my weight forward but I think even with dual position I would be having a hard time.

But again as for the fork itself, I am very pleased, it handles all I can throw at it and I am sure a lot more than that. I have ridden the Lyrik, Fox 34 and Manitou line up and this blows them all out of the water.....But I have head lots of good things about the new Fox.

#1,135 ·
Just joined the Knolly club

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Just got her built up yesterday and loving IT!!!

Build List:
Knolly Chilcotin Raw ano S (3d rockers)
Fork: Rockshox Pike RCT3 160mm
Shock: CCDB Air CS
Drivetrain: SLX group with XT casette and XTR chain
Crank: SLX with Wolftooth Drop stop 32t red ano ring
Brakes: SLX
Headset: Hope
Seatpost: Rockshox reverb 125mm
Stem: Deity Cavity 50mm
Handlebars: Deity CZ38 special 760mm
Pedals: Spank Spikes
Rims: Spank Oozy
Hubs: Hope Pro 2
Tires: Continental Rubber Queen 2.2s

Weight: 13.8 kilos or 30.8 pounds for you guys

Incoming/ Future additions:
Wolftooth 40t cassette extender (After trail testing and I think I need a better climbing gear)
One Up components 16t cog to smooth out the range
Stickers
Marshguard fenders front and rear
Maybe a new saddle

#1,136 · (Edited)
New Chilcotin

Here is my Chilcotin:

Raw, medium.
Shock: CCDBA-CS
Fork: 2015 Fox float 36 160mm
Wheelset: Easton Havoc Wheelset
Drivetrain: XT 2x10 Drivetrain with RaceFace Evolve cranks and gold KMC x10 SL chain (love me the gold chain)
Brakes: XT brakes, 180mm rotors
Headset: Cane Creek
Pedals: XT trail
Stem: RaceFace Evolve 60 mm
Bars: RaceFace Atlas Kash-money bar and matching grips
Tires: Conti TrailKing 2.4s front and rear, UST tubeless (Heavy but super in corners)

~32.6 lbs on bathroom scale

Loving it on the downhills, a bit harder uphill than my 29er XC bike. But thats what I expected. Everything has been awesome except for a crazy brake pad failure last weekend where the pad fell apart while I was descending (see brakes forum).

Plant Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Tire

#1,138 ·
Here is my Chilcotin:

Raw, medium.
CCDBA-CS
2015 Fox float 36 160mm
Easton Havoc Wheelset
XT 2x10 Drivetrain with RaceFace Evolve cranks
XT brakes
KS-LEV dropper
RaceFace Atlas Kash-money bar and matching grips
Conti TrailKing 2.4s front and rear (Heavy but super in corners)
22.6 lbs on bathroom scale

Loving it on the downhills, a bit harder uphill than my 29er XC bike. But thats what I expected.

View attachment 921214
surely you mean 32.6 lbs.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.