Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 1345
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    198


    Frame Size & Color: Medium Raw
    Rear Shock: DB air
    Fork: Lyrik Solo Air DH 170mm
    Brakes: Shimano XT, 200 mm front and 180mm rear, Goodridge brakelines
    Shifter: SRAM X.9 10 Speed
    Cranks: Race Face SIXC 170mm
    Chainguide: E13
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 super short
    Pedals: NC17 Sudpin III
    Stem: Chromag 50mm
    Handlebar: Chromag OSX
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: SDG TI Fly
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Headset: Chris King
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Tires: Maxxis Minion EXO
    Wheelset: DT Swiss EX500, Hadley hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes


    32lbs

  2. #152
    Greystoke
    Reputation: geo025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    248
    Nice Madafaka , do you normally use 170mm cranks ? Or is this just on this build, for a little more clearance in the slack mode?

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    908

    Cable routing

    Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone running a front derailleur. The upper line routing that makes the bend toward the cable stop should be a large radius to avoid getting pinched in the linkage. I previously had my routing tight to the frame with a small radius at the bend. I noticed some marking on the frame from the cable housing getting pinched in the linkage.

    So I let the air out of the shock, like I should have from the beginning, and checked the clearance. It turns out, that on a large frame, the radius at the bend needs to be larger to clear the linkage as it passes the seat tube of the frame. To do this, I taped the cable on either side of the first cable boss on the top tube. This will probably be different for each size of frame, but not a bad idea to check. Pictures of the improved routing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-006.jpg  

    Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-007.jpg  

    Portland Off Road Navagators

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by madafaka View Post


    Frame Size & Color: Medium Raw
    Rear Shock: DB air
    Fork: Lyrik Solo Air DH 170mm
    Brakes: Shimano XT, 200 mm front and 180mm rear, Goodridge brakelines
    Shifter: SRAM X.9 10 Speed
    Cranks: Race Face SIXC 170mm
    Chainguide: E13
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 super short
    Pedals: NC17 Sudpin III
    Stem: Chromag 50mm
    Handlebar: Chromag OSX
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: SDG TI Fly
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Headset: Chris King
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Tires: Maxxis Minion EXO
    Wheelset: DT Swiss EX500, Hadley hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes


    32lbs
    Raw is a beauty
    Now I'm confused either to go with Blue or Raw
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

  5. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dictatorsaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,645
    Saw three of these Knolly bikes on the last group ride. What's so special about them?

    How do they compare to the Reign or Reign X?

  6. #156
    pedal up
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    245

    Knolly

    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Saw three of these Knolly bikes on the last group ride. What's so special about them?

    How do they compare to the Reign or Reign X?
    now that question is going to start a windfall of response.

    i've got the Delirium... let the lucky Chilcoltin owners sing the Knolly praise


    (though Dictatorsaurus: you might want to start this question as its own thread so it doesn't get buried in this deep build chain).

  7. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Saw three of these Knolly bikes on the last group ride. What's so special about them?

    How do they compare to the Reign or Reign X?
    I'll bite.

    It has all the prerequisites for a beefy AM bike:

    - Spot-on Geometry
    - Thru-axle
    - ISCG tabs
    - Full 1.5 headtube
    - Can take a 180 fork
    - Light enough to peddle all day (avg build around 32 lbs.)
    - Stiff and strong enough to handle all day at the lifts.
    - Works well with both coil and air shocks.
    - Careful attention to the details (cable routing, bolt types, welds, aesthetics, etc.)

    Take that list and you get a handful or so of bikes that fit that description. The things that put this bike over the top are:

    - Suspension. The 4x4 suspension is super active while still being a great peddler. My experience with the other designs is that while climbing the suspension stiffens up and then gets plush on the descent. I prefer a less Jeckle&Hyde suspension to my bikes.
    - Strength. This bike is as strong and stiff as most Freeride bikes. I've broken a lot of bikes in my biking career. It's nice to have the confidence that you can hit the bigger lines and not worry about breakage.
    - Customer Service. Been a Knolly customer for over 5 years now and the CS keeps getting better and better despite some of the growing pains they have had.

  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dictatorsaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I'll bite.

    It has all the prerequisites for a beefy AM bike:

    - Spot-on Geometry
    - Thru-axle
    - ISCG tabs
    - Full 1.5 headtube
    - Can take a 180 fork
    - Light enough to peddle all day (avg build around 32 lbs.)
    - Stiff and strong enough to handle all day at the lifts.
    - Works well with both coil and air shocks.
    - Careful attention to the details (cable routing, bolt types, welds, aesthetics, etc.)

    Take that list and you get a handful or so of bikes that fit that description. The things that put this bike over the top are:

    - Suspension. The 4x4 suspension is super active while still being a great peddler. My experience with the other designs is that while climbing the suspension stiffens up and then gets plush on the descent. I prefer a less Jeckle&Hyde suspension to my bikes.
    - Strength. This bike is as strong and stiff as most Freeride bikes. I've broken a lot of bikes in my biking career. It's nice to have the confidence that you can hit the bigger lines and not worry about breakage.
    - Customer Service. Been a Knolly customer for over 5 years now and the CS keeps getting better and better despite some of the growing pains they have had.
    Thanks!

    Any comparisons to the Reign X?

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woodyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Thanks!

    Any comparisons to the Reign X?
    Sorry, never ridden one of those.

  10. #160
    Greystoke
    Reputation: geo025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    I'll bite.

    It has all the prerequisites for a beefy AM bike:

    - Spot-on Geometry
    - Thru-axle
    - ISCG tabs
    - Full 1.5 headtube
    =================
    - Can take a 180 fork
    =================
    - Light enough to peddle all day (avg build around 32 lbs.)
    - Stiff and strong enough to handle all day at the lifts.
    - Works well with both coil and air shocks.
    - Careful attention to the details (cable routing, bolt types, welds, aesthetics, etc.)

    Take that list and you get a handful or so of bikes that fit that description. The things that put this bike over the top are:

    - Suspension. The 4x4 suspension is super active while still being a great peddler. My experience with the other designs is that while climbing the suspension stiffens up and then gets plush on the descent. I prefer a less Jeckle&Hyde suspension to my bikes.
    - Strength. This bike is as strong and stiff as most Freeride bikes. I've broken a lot of bikes in my biking career. It's nice to have the confidence that you can hit the bigger lines and not worry about breakage.
    - Customer Service. Been a Knolly customer for over 5 years now and the CS keeps getting better and better despite some of the growing pains they have had.
    Not sure if your warranty will be void with 180mm fork?
    I'm fairly certain 170mm is the max allowable.

  11. #161
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    How do they compare to the Reign or Reign X?
    I'm with biobike, you should start this in it's own thread and maybe call it, "Mini-link vs. Four by 4" because you are going to find that many of the posters on the Knolly forum have had bikes "similar" (i.e. mini-link bikes) to the Reign or Reign X but most have not had either of those two bikes.

    That said, I own a Reign and I have a Chilcotin on the way to replace it. Until it arrives I can't do a direct comparison. And, I'm not a good enough rider that I would trust my opinions too much. Additionally, the shock that I have on the Reign is crap (a RP2--OEM RP23--that has issues) so every thing I think of the Reign could be distorted by that shock. (I have a buddy with a Reign that loves it.)

    Climbing
    Pros: On non-tech climbs my Reign climbs much better than my 2008 Preston FR (by Transition bikes) that I bought the Reign to replace. The Reign is much lighter and doesn't take as much energy to propel forward in the flats or on a climb. On non-tech accents I love my Reign because it translates all my power forward and I can pass many of my buddies (the only time I can do that).

    Cons: I just can't find a sweet-spot on the Reign. I can't climb a steep, techy section without having either wheel spin or a floating front tire or both (tire lifts then drops when the back tire spins). My Preston FR (I still have the heavy pig and use it as my loaner bike) climbs much better on techy stuff until I run out of gas (did I mention that the bike was built up like a tank). I'm not sure if it is the Horst-link suspension or the weight that makes the difference.

    Chilcotin: From the reviews it seems to climb more like my Preston FR at a lighter weight and with less energy drain.

    Descending:
    I'm not a fan of the way the Reign descends; HOWEVER, this could be due to my rear shock. I love the way my Glory descends and my Preston FR is a lot of fun too; but when I'm descending on my Reign I'm wishing I was on one of my other bikes.

    Chilcotin: From the reviews and from what I perceive as the companies overall philosophy--downhill performance is highest priority--I'm am guessing that the Chili will kick both their butts without much trouble.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimberjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Thanks!

    Any comparisons to the Reign X?
    I owned a Reign for the last 6 years, so I have quite a bit of experience on that bike. I noticed an immediate difference on the Chilcotin. The climbing on the Chilly is so much more refined than the Reign. I have fought with finding a happy climbing position without wheel slip or front-end wander. The Chilly, even in the slack position is far more controllable and I don't find I am shifting in the seat on climbs to stay over the wheel.

    On the downhill, stability is the biggest difference I am noticing. The Reign always felt twitchy at speed, and never felt confidence inspiring. The Chilly has me dropping stuff I used to roll over, and way more confident at speed.

    The only time I miss the Reign is stand up climbing. It has a more solid pedaling platform, but I am gladly giving it up for all of the other bonuses. Seated climbing is only slightly better on the Reign. I did run an RP23 for a week, and with the pro-pedal on, you couldn't tell the diference between either bike. With the CCDBA, the Chilly has a bit more bounce, whch is a trade off for compliance.

    Overall frame stiffness seems higher on the Chilly, which is what I partially attribute to the stable feeling of the bike.

    Overall, the Chilcotin wins hands down.

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    Hey guys, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer. Which shock mount is used for the slack setting? I think it's the front mount, but I'm not 100% sure.

    Thanks

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,111
    Quote Originally Posted by thansen View Post
    Hey guys, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer. Which shock mount is used for the slack setting? I think it's the front mount, but I'm not 100% sure.

    Thanks
    Rear hole for slack setting.

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156

    New addition to my Knolly family...

    Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-both-knollys-resized.jpg

    Large Knolly Chilcotin Raw DB Air
    RS Lyrik RC2 DH 170
    Stans ZTR Flow Rim, Valve Stem & Tape (F&R) Tubeless
    DT Swiss 240s Hubs (F&R)
    Maxxis High Roller II EXO 2.5 (F&R)
    Reverb 125mm
    Thomson X4 70mm
    Thomson Seat Collar
    Cane Creek 110
    Woodman Extreme Headset Lock
    Avid XO Brakes F&R 180/180
    Raceface SixC Single 170 /E.13 32T Ring
    Straitline AMP
    X9 Shifter Rear 1 x 10
    Jagwire Shifter Cable/Wire
    X9 Short Rear Derailleur
    MRP Mini G2 SL Chain Guide
    Easton Havoc Carbon
    Oury Lock-on
    Sram 1080 11-36 Cassette 10 Speed
    1091R 10 Speed Chain
    WTB Pure V SLT White

    Chilcotin build weight is 31.1 lbs.

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    665
    <a href="http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/chuckspartz/?action=view&amp;current=Screenshot2012-06-20at41911PM.png" target="_blank"><img src="http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/chuckspartz/Screenshot2012-06-20at41911PM.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

    Itís almost done. The brakes will be here tomorrow and the LEV seat post will be here Fri.
    I was going to get a blue frame but I decided to go with the Raw with some blue parts (just a little bling).

    Here is the final build.
    Raw Chilcotin Med.
    CCDB Air
    Chris King Headset (Blue)
    Chris King BB (Blue)
    Chris King Hubs (Blue)
    Enve AM Rims
    Trail King UST 2.4 Tires
    XO Crank 1X10 32tooth MRP Bling Ring
    MRP Mini G2 Chain Guide
    Lyrik RD2 DH Coil 170mm Fork
    Thomson Stem 70mm
    Hope Tech Evo M4 Brakes, Floating Rotors, 203mm front 183mm rear
    XTR Shadow Plus Derailleur
    XTR Shifter
    LEV Seat Post 125mm
    Race Face SIXC Bars
    Loaded Binder Clamp (Blue)
    Loaded Headset spacers (Blue)
    Loaded Pedals (Blue)
    Saddle ? I'm still not sure what I want so I'll use one I have for now.

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156
    Great build... congrats! I'm sure Q and crew will take good care of you.

    I'll be in Hurkin' in October with two Knollys in tow. The wife and I had a lots of fun at the first two Mountain Bike Fests and I'm always looking for another excuse to ride SW Utah.

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SOCAL_STINKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    217
    Is there a best way to route the cabling for the reverb seatpost to eliminate cable rub or annoyance? Going to build up my chili today and wanted to see what you guys have come up with/ suggestions.

  19. #169
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873

    Chili Porn to make your Sunday better!

    Had some great fun today getting to know my Chili. Fun bike! I will give more details when I have more saddle time and I get the bike dialed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-chili-porn1.jpg  

    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation: F.N.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,441
    Nice! Congrats. Nice to see another white on white chili! Any other color than raw nowadays is a rare find!

    Looks good. Enjoy. We all know you will!

  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    535
    Very cool pic TSC. Are those the Sierras? What are the trails like?

  22. #172
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Very cool pic TSC. Are those the Sierras? What are the trails like?
    Those are the Tetons in the Jackson Wyoming area. With mild summer temperatures and low humidity, Jackson is a great place to ride. If you also like beautiful scenery, wildlife, and/or mountain climbing then it is a great summer destination.

    I've never been to Whistler so I can't compare. Here's what I know:

    -- "The Pass" (Teton pass) has the best DH trails in the area. It is accessed by a nice paved road and has some cool stuff (check out: Teton Freedom Riders ). There is no formal shuttle but it's not that hard to catch a ride with other bikers and do multiple shuttle runs.

    -- Grand Targhee is supposedly opening a few trails at their ski resort (Grand Targhee Resort | Ski Vacation | Alta, WY) this summer.

    -- I did the lift access trails at Teton Village (Mountain Biking | Jackson Hole Mountain Resort). They are fun trails and were designed by Gravity Logic who made a lot of trails in the BC area; however there are only a few of them.

    pfarrell would have much more local knowledge on trails than me so he is a better resource for info, especially on the XC stuff.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by madafaka View Post


    Frame Size & Color: Medium Raw
    Rear Shock: DB air
    Fork: Lyrik Solo Air DH 170mm
    Brakes: Shimano XT, 200 mm front and 180mm rear, Goodridge brakelines
    Shifter: SRAM X.9 10 Speed
    Cranks: Race Face SIXC 170mm
    Chainguide: E13
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 super short
    Pedals: NC17 Sudpin III
    Stem: Chromag 50mm
    Handlebar: Chromag OSX
    Seatpost: Thomson
    Saddle: SDG TI Fly
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Headset: Chris King
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Tires: Maxxis Minion EXO
    Wheelset: DT Swiss EX500, Hadley hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes


    32lbs
    Your cable route is really clean, I should have mine to be done as yours!

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation: graypaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    Large Knolly Chilcotin Raw DB Air
    RS Lyrik RC2 DH 170
    Stans ZTR Flow Rim, Valve Stem & Tape (F&R) Tubeless
    DT Swiss 240s Hubs (F&R)
    Maxxis High Roller II EXO 2.5 (F&R)
    Reverb 125mm
    Thomson X4 70mm
    Thomson Seat Collar
    Cane Creek 110
    Woodman Extreme Headset Lock
    Avid XO Brakes F&R 180/180
    Raceface SixC Single 170 /E.13 32T Ring
    Straitline AMP
    X9 Shifter Rear 1 x 10
    Jagwire Shifter Cable/Wire
    X9 Short Rear Derailleur
    MRP Mini G2 SL Chain Guide
    Easton Havoc Carbon
    Oury Lock-on
    Sram 1080 11-36 Cassette 10 Speed
    1091R 10 Speed Chain
    WTB Pure V SLT White

    Chilcotin build weight is 31.1 lbs.
    Hi tmpaints.
    I've bought this frame in the same size and shox (I'm waiting). More or less I have the same components to mount, but I'm thinking to change my fork from U-turn to solo Air 170. How do you climb with this setup?
    Is your Fork Solo Air or Coil? Your bike weight is very well, less than my Ransom Carbon, and the only difference is the crankset and the fork.

    Thanks.

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mayha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    535
    [QUOTE=TSC;9445229]Those are the Tetons in the Jackson Wyoming area. With mild summer temperatures and low humidity, Jackson is a great place to ride. If you also like beautiful scenery, wildlife, and/or mountain climbing then it is a great summer destination.

    I've never been to Whistler so I can't compare. Here's what I know:

    -- "The Pass" (Teton pass) has the best DH trails in the area. It is accessed by a nice paved road and has some cool stuff (check out: Teton Freedom Riders ). There is no formal shuttle but it's not that hard to catch a ride with other bikers and do multiple shuttle runs.

    *** Very impressive stuff from the Teton Freedom Riders. The trails look like a blast and those are some legit riders. I especially liked the "Almost Spring" vid!

  26. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    [QUOTE=mayha;9445791]
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Those are the Tetons in the Jackson Wyoming area. With mild summer temperatures and low humidity, Jackson is a great place to ride. If you also like beautiful scenery, wildlife, and/or mountain climbing then it is a great summer destination.

    I've never been to Whistler so I can't compare. Here's what I know:

    -- "The Pass" (Teton pass) has the best DH trails in the area. It is accessed by a nice paved road and has some cool stuff (check out: Teton Freedom Riders ). There is no formal shuttle but it's not that hard to catch a ride with other bikers and do multiple shuttle runs.

    *** Very impressive stuff from the Teton Freedom Riders. The trails look like a blast and those are some legit riders. I especially liked the "Almost Spring" vid!
    thats is impressive stuff. looks like a great place to ride. i've seen that one video in a thread on the mojo or someone touting it's abilities anyways. very nice

  27. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by graypaw View Post
    Hi tmpaints.
    I've bought this frame in the same size and shox (I'm waiting). More or less I have the same components to mount, but I'm thinking to change my fork from U-turn to solo Air 170. How do you climb with this setup?
    Is your Fork Solo Air or Coil? Your bike weight is very well, less than my Ransom Carbon, and the only difference is the crankset and the fork.

    Thanks.
    My Chilco climbs surprisingly well with the Lyrik DH Solo Air. I was accustomed to climbing the same SoCal trails on a 38 lb DT with a 36 Van 160. While not a perfect climbing fork, the longer Lyrik easily outshines the Fox uphill and is about even on the downhills. The CC zero stack headset helps by keeping the front end as low as possible. The Lyrik is my first air fork and so far I'm please with the choice and the performance.

    Jim

  28. #178
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    *** Very impressive stuff from the Teton Freedom Riders. The trails look like a blast and those are some legit riders. I especially liked the "Almost Spring" vid!
    There are some hard-core riders in the area (e.g. at least one of the Canfield Bros of Canfield Brothers' Mountain Bikes lives local). My guess: it is mostly due to the local skiing. Teton Village (AKA Jackson Hole Mountain Resort) has some of the most extreme in-bounds skiing of any resort (example: Corbet's Couloir - YouTube) and the side country and back country skiing can make the inbounds stuff look tame. Many adrenaline junkies end up moving to Jackson to ski and they DH mountain bike in the summer.

    The Teton Freedom Riders has done a great job of working with the US Forest Service to build sanctioned, DH-only trails. They have also gotten grants to fund the trail builds. Dig days on the pass are amazing! Dig days are usually catered with sandwiches and a keg. There will be 30+ full-grown men working hard to make the trails. Mega props to the Teton Freedom Riders!!!
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation: graypaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    My Chilco climbs surprisingly well with the Lyrik DH Solo Air. I was accustomed to climbing the same SoCal trails on a 38 lb DT with a 36 Van 160. While not a perfect climbing fork, the longer Lyrik easily outshines the Fox uphill and is about even on the downhills. The CC zero stack headset helps by keeping the front end as low as possible. The Lyrik is my first air fork and so far I'm please with the choice and the performance.

    Jim
    OK Jim, thanks for your feedback.
    I will convert my U-turn to a Solo Air, for the best climbs I have the lock

    regards

  30. #180
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    I think this is one of the better videos for showing the features on Teton Pass:

    Mountain Biking Teton Pass, Wyoming - YouTube
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  31. #181
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by graypaw View Post
    OK Jim, thanks for your feedback.
    I will convert my U-turn to a Solo Air, for the best climbs I have the lock

    regards
    actually that is not an easy way to convert. you can convert air to coil, but not the other way around. the coil can scratch the inside of the stantion, leaving it hard for the seals of the air spring to work properly. if it was brand new it may work, but it'd be a crap shoot on a used fork

  32. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    I think this is one of the better videos for showing the features on Teton Pass:

    Mountain Biking Teton Pass, Wyoming - YouTube
    those vids make me want to make a trip there.

  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,245
    Quote Originally Posted by jimberjack View Post
    Overall frame stiffness seems higher on the Chilly, which is what I partially attribute to the stable feeling of the bike.

    Overall, the Chilcotin wins hands down.
    The other thing I think you'll find is that in 4 or 5 years the Chilcotin will still be tight and stiff with no sloppy pivots or worn bearings.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  34. #184
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    those vids make me want to make a trip there.
    You are more than welcome to enjoy our trails any day.

    If you have a family, Jackson is a world-class destination with tons of outdoor activities (e.g. biking, white-water rafting, horse-back riding, etc.) and Yellowstone National Park (Yellowstone National Park - Google Image Search) just an hour away from Jackson.

    FWIW: I don't work for the board of tourism. I just sound like I do.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  35. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    You are more than welcome to enjoy our trails any day.

    If you have a family, Jackson is a world-class destination with tons of outdoor activities (e.g. biking, white-water rafting, horse-back riding, etc.) and Yellowstone National Park (Yellowstone National Park - Google Image Search) just an hour away from Jackson.

    FWIW: I don't work for the board of tourism. I just sound like I do.
    sounds good. i do have four daughters ranging in age from 5 to 13 and they all enjoy the outdoors. i am looking for a summer vacation spotfor this year. i'll have to do some more research and check my time availability. in the middle of big reno that is priority number one in my wife's eyes. vacation has to fit in around me getting sh!t done.

  36. #186
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,245
    So I've been purposely avoiding this thread since the new builds have been popping up so as not to get my "I-gotta-have-a-new-bike" juices going.

    Slow day at work and I made the mistake of opening it up.

    Dang! Now I have a bad case of the Chills.

    Ranking favorite builds:

    Madafaka: No two ways to say it---- That is Bad A**!

    Rock Dude with the blue accents, Woodyak with the Gold accents and tiSS'er's are a close second. Lovin' the Raw. THe orange accents on dulyber's Raw also rocks.

    I've loved G-Air's Blue chili since he first posted it up several months ago... but at 29 lbs pfarrell's white on blue may have one-upped you a bit. That's just stupid sick.

    Then FNG's all white beauty is right in there too. Wow.

    Some nice builds.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-26-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thegromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    359
    So I can't decide what size to get. 5'8'' I am currently riding a medium covert with a 50mm stem, and a small podium 45-50mm stem. I really am not sure what I want. My friend has a small covert with 50mm stem and when I have rode it the shorter top tube really is fun on the jumps it just feels so much for poppy and wheelies easier, but I've never rode it up hill so I don't know if I would be cramped or be bashing my knee's on the bars. I'm using a post dropper, and with the 18" seat tube on the covert I have the post all the way in, and I'd like to have a little between the legs when I drop it not just all the way down.<not sure if that makes sense> I will be racing super-d's and enduros on it. On the transition website it has the reach and stack on there, how are these numbers formulated, what does the chill translate too? The 23.5" top tube scares me from the medium but the 15" seat tube on the small kind of scares me away from it, but I did say I want some more post. Ive always been kind of in-between the small and medium. I enjoy being playful on the trail wheelies over chunder, funky little gaps, drifting. So I lean toward the small but I don't want to feel to cramped because I will ride this on all day epics. Please post more pictures I am bored as hell I broke my collar bone second run on the podium I just built. Any insight would be cool, thanks folks.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

  38. #188
    Donkey Puncher
    Reputation: VanGor44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    149

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    So I've been purposely avoiding this thread since the new builds have been popping up so as not to get my "I-gotta-have-a-new-bike" juices going.

    Slow day at work and I made the mistake of opening it up.

    Dang! Now I have a bad case of the Chills.

    Ranking favorite builds:

    Madafaka: No two ways to say it---- That is Bad A**!

    Rock Dude with the blue accents, Woodyak with the Gold accents and tiSS'er's are a close second. Lovin' the Raw. THe orange accents on dulyber's Raw also rocks.

    I've loved G-Air's Blue chili since he first posted it up several months ago... but at 29 lbs pfarrell's white on blue may have one-upped you a bit. That's just stupid sick.

    Then FNG's all white beauty is right in there too. Wow.

    Some nice builds.
    ...So my Chili came yesterday...and by some same strange coincidence....so did I. Here's another white one which will hopefully make your list, K.

    ...and for all those about to ask, 2012 Marzo 66 EVO, which I custom painted myself, paint used PPG DCC 9300 for anyone who cares.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-whitehotchilipeppah.jpg  


  39. #189
    mtbr member
    Reputation: graypaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    actually that is not an easy way to convert. you can convert air to coil, but not the other way around. the coil can scratch the inside of the stantion, leaving it hard for the seals of the air spring to work properly. if it was brand new it may work, but it'd be a crap shoot on a used fork
    Thanks, very thanks for the update. I thought that is possible to convert spring to air, but I did not know this issue. I will buy one new when I can and save my money.

    regards.

  40. #190
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by VanGor44 View Post
    ...So my Chili came yesterday...and by some same strange coincidence....so did I. Here's another white one which will hopefully make your list, K.
    Super sweet bike. I love the yellow rims. I think that brighter color rims show up better in pictures and make the whole picture pop. IMO, unless black or silver rims specifically go with the color scheme (e.g. raw with silver and black with ano) I would go for louder color rims.

    I LOVE the way my bike turned out and was surprised that the Knomers didn't ogle over it like the chicas do. Maybe my bike is a bit too loud for the Knolly crowd, but I'm more interested in attracting women than men.

    In the end, it only matters that you like the way your bike looks... and if your preferred sex likes it then all the better.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

  41. #191
    Dr. Pepper drinker
    Reputation: catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,575
    Never got around to posting my finished build on this thread. I'll get a detailed review posted up fairly soon, I'm heading to Moab for a Burro Down tomorrow and will be in the GJ/Vail area high country the rest of the weekend putting the Chilcotin through it's paces. Been out pretty much every day for the last week and really nothing but positives to say about the bike. I've been making a point to hit all the extremes of riding I can think of and been playing around with the head angle adjustment a lot and it's been fantastic all around. I'm eager to get it out in some really tech/ledgy terrain over the next couple days to see how that goes. Here's the build for now:

    Frame: Chilcotin in blue, large
    Rear Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel Air
    Fork: Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn Mission Control DH
    Brakes: Shimano SLX with Ice Tech rotors
    Shifters: XTR
    Cassette: PG990
    Chain: 951 cross step
    Chain Guide: MRP 2x
    Cranks: Shimano SLX double
    Bottom Bracket: XTR
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX E2
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Saddle: WTB Pure V
    Seatpost: Reverb
    Seatpost Clamp: Salsa
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS top, EC lower
    Stem: Thomson X4
    Bars: Race Face Atlas
    Grips: Lizard Skins Peaty
    Tires - Front: Continental Rubber Queen 2.4
    Tires - Rear: Advantage 2.4
    Wheels - King Mangos to Flows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-03.jpg  

    Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-02.jpg  

    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

  42. #192
    BC
    BC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by thegromit View Post
    So I can't decide what size to get. 5'8'' I am currently riding a medium covert with a 50mm stem, and a small podium 45-50mm stem. I really am not sure what I want. My friend has a small covert with 50mm stem and when I have rode it the shorter top tube really is fun on the jumps it just feels so much for poppy and wheelies easier, but I've never rode it up hill so I don't know if I would be cramped or be bashing my knee's on the bars. I'm using a post dropper, and with the 18" seat tube on the covert I have the post all the way in, and I'd like to have a little between the legs when I drop it not just all the way down.<not sure if that makes sense> I will be racing super-d's and enduros on it. On the transition website it has the reach and stack on there, how are these numbers formulated, what does the chill translate too? The 23.5" top tube scares me from the medium but the 15" seat tube on the small kind of scares me away from it, but I did say I want some more post. Ive always been kind of in-between the small and medium. I enjoy being playful on the trail wheelies over chunder, funky little gaps, drifting. So I lean toward the small but I don't want to feel to cramped because I will ride this on all day epics. Please post more pictures I am bored as hell I broke my collar bone second run on the podium I just built. Any insight would be cool, thanks folks.
    FYI,
    I'm 5'8" w 30" inseam on a medium. For the steep climbing in Austin, I can't imagine being on a small frame. I'm running a 70mm stem. Even with the seat all the way up, still have plenty of room to get over the back. Very good fit for me. With a zero stack headset and fox 36 van, I measure the top tube length center to center at ~22.9" - 23". I have about another inch of seat post exposed vs my Endorphin frame (shorter seat tube).

  43. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,245
    Quote Originally Posted by VanGor44 View Post
    ...So my Chili came yesterday...and by some same strange coincidence....so did I. Here's another white one which will hopefully make your list, K.

    ...and for all those about to ask, 2012 Marzo 66 EVO, which I custom painted myself, paint used PPG DCC 9300 for anyone who cares.
    Holy Crap. That is bad to the bone VanGor. Love, love the painted, Knolly-stickered lowers.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,245
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    I LOVE the way my bike turned out and was surprised that the Knomers didn't ogle over it like the chicas do.
    I saw your build list but I don't think I ever saw a picture of yours. I guess I respond more to visual stimulation.

    Sounds like a rockin' build. How'd the sizing end up working for you? I know you had a lot of questions.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-27-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  45. #195
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by VanGor44 View Post
    ...So my Chili came yesterday...and by some same strange coincidence....so did I. Here's another white one which will hopefully make your list, K.

    ...and for all those about to ask, 2012 Marzo 66 EVO, which I custom painted myself, paint used PPG DCC 9300 for anyone who cares.
    looks awesome. loving the white and black. think once these things hit the shops in greater numbers it'll be time for my wife to get a small as an upgrade from her current ride.

    mine's on its way, am chomping at the bit for it

  46. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    actually, so many nice looking builds on here it's hard to comment on them all individually. happy to hear guys are loving the ride as much as the looks.

  47. #197
    Donkey Puncher
    Reputation: VanGor44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    actually, so many nice looking builds on here it's hard to comment on them all individually. happy to hear guys are loving the ride as much as the looks.
    First ride this weekend...I'll be spending alot of initial time dialing in the suspension..I have a few pages from Noel regarding ideal CCDB-A setup..stage two, since I'm coming straight from a MOJO HD... and all the parts on the chili were transferred from it...full comparison between the two as promised.

  48. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SOCAL_STINKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    217
    Ok I will play too. I built mine up last weekend and can't wait to hit the trails with my Chili.



    My build:
    Frame: 2012 Knolly Chilcotin, Blue, Medium
    Fork: 2013 Fox 36 160mm RC2 Talas
    Shock: CCDB Air
    Rims: Mavic 819
    Hubs: Hadley
    Tires: Schwable Hans Dampf; Front: Trailstar, Rear: Pacestar
    Headset: Chris King Inset Model 5
    Handlebars: ODI Flightcontrol 750 mm
    Stem: ODI Flightcontrol 70mm
    Grips: ODI SDG Lock-on
    Brakes: 2012 Formula The ONE
    Shifters: Sram X0
    Rear Derailuer: Sram X0 Type 2, medium cage
    Crankset: Truvativ Hammerschmidt AM 170mm
    Bottom Bracket: Hammerschmidt AM
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm travel, 380mm long
    Seat: SDG Bel Air Ti
    pedals: VP Components
    Chain: KMC X10 SL-Ti
    Cassette: Sram 1070 11-36

    33.75 lbs with tubes, couldn't get the Hans Dampf to seat tubeless straight out of the box. I think its a very good weight considering the Hammerschmidt and Reverb post.
    Last edited by SOCAL_STINKY; 06-27-2012 at 09:13 PM.

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL_STINKY View Post
    Ok I will play too. I built mine up last weekend and can't wait to hit the trails with my Chili.



    My build:
    Frame: 2012 Knolly Chilcotin, Blue, Medium
    Fork: 2013 Fox 36 160mm RC2 Talas
    Shock: CCDB Air
    Rims: Mavic 819
    Hubs: Hadley
    Tires: Schwable Hans Dampf; Front: Trailstar, Rear: Pacestar
    Headset: Chris King Inset Model 5
    Handlebars: ODI Flightcontrol 750 mm
    Stem: ODI Flightcontrol 70mm
    Grips: ODI SDG Lock-on
    Brakes: 2012 Formula The ONE
    Shifters: Sram X0
    Rear Derailuer: Sram X0 Type 2, medium cage
    Crankset: Truvativ Hammerschmidt AM 170mm
    Bottom Bracket: Hammerschmidt AM
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm travel, 380mm long
    Seat: SDG Bel Air Ti
    pedals: VP Components
    Chain: KMC X10 SL-Ti
    Cassette: Sram 1070 11-36

    33.75 lbs with tubes, couldn't get the Hans Dampf to seat tubeless straight out of the box. I think its a very good weight considering the Hammerschmidt.
    how tall are you?

  50. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    So I've been purposely avoiding this thread since the new builds have been popping up so as not to get my "I-gotta-have-a-new-bike" juices going.

    Slow day at work and I made the mistake of opening it up.

    Dang! Now I have a bad case of the Chills.

    Ranking favorite builds:

    Madafaka: No two ways to say it---- That is Bad A**!

    Rock Dude with the blue accents, Woodyak with the Gold accents and tiSS'er's are a close second. Lovin' the Raw. THe orange accents on dulyber's Raw also rocks.

    I've loved G-Air's Blue chili since he first posted it up several months ago... but at 29 lbs pfarrell's white on blue may have one-upped you a bit. That's just stupid sick.

    Then FNG's all white beauty is right in there too. Wow.

    Some nice builds.
    And the rest of us are chopped liver? 3 chilcotins on our weekend ride. 2 blacks and my raw.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •