Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    +1

Also, what did your build weigh. (Curious how much weight was lost with the XX1 parts replacing/obsoleting the other components.)
    Right at 31 lbs. Not the lightest Chili in this thread, but pretty impressive for an XL. Definitely a lot lighter than my XL Session 88.

mtbr member
    Very Nice!
    That's a light Chili. I don't think you want to go any lighter than that.
    You'll have to give us an report on the 1x11 set-up.
    Come on over to St. George, we had a little rain and snow yesterday but all the trails will be perfect in about 3 days.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by rslawrence View Post
    Right at 31 lbs. Not the lightest Chili in this thread, but pretty impressive for an XL. Definitely a lot lighter than my XL Session 88.
    That is an amazing weight. If you trade the Reverb for a Thompson and put the rest of your parts on a small raw frame you would have one of the lightest builds, if not the lightest build, on this thread.

Disclaimer: 28 to 38 lbs works great on the Chili. People should build their Chili to match their riding style and what they plan on riding. I originally built my Chili on the "lightish" side; and then I put her on an iron-rich diet (coil shock, coil fork, KS Lev seatpost, tougher pedals, & bigger tires). She went from 31 lbs on the money to 35.5 lbs. The weight will fluctuate depending on what I'm riding, but 35.5 lbs will probably be her maximum weight.

Here is a before picture (I don't have an after picture): Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Greystoke
    Thought I'd post a pic on the changes to my Chilli all for the better... but not so for the wallet.
    Most recent being carbon rims , Chinese front Enve rear, a foot in both camps, only a dozen rides on them so nothing to report on durability yet.

mtbr member
    I have beat the crap out of my Enve wheels and they are still as straight as the day they were built.

RideDirt
    Ive heard some super good things about the carbon Chinese wheels , might give them a try for the local trails .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    Thought I'd post a pic on the changes to my Chilli all for the better... but not so for the wallet.
    Most recent being carbon rims , Chinese front Enve rear, a foot in both camps, only a dozen rides on them so nothing to report on durability yet.

Great choice on the combination of carbon rims. The Chinese carbon rims have held up really well in the front for me but I have replaced two rear ones in five months of use on my Chilcotin. They cracked under perfectly normal riding conditions for the bike (one on a Porcupine Rim run and the other on an XC trail at Blue Mountain in NY state). I weigh 165lbs and have been riding quite conservatively this season as I have been nursing an ACL reconstruction surgery in May.

The second rim they sent me under warranty was a so called "reinforced" one and it lasted only a handful of rides before cracking.

I have rebuilt my rear wheel back with a Flow rim and the combination of Chinese carbon front and flow rear rims did great on the recent trip to Arizona.
    Last edited by nybike1971; 12-22-2012 at 09:07 PM.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    I have beat the crap out of my Enve wheels and they are still as straight as the day they were built.
    Do you have the AM or DH Enve wheels?

mtbr member
    Do you have the AM or DH Enve wheels?
    I have the AM.

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    Great choice on the combination of carbon rims. The Chinese carbon rims have held up really well in the front for me but I have replaced two rear ones in five months of use on my Chilcotin. They cracked under perfectly normal riding conditions for the bike (one on a Porcupine Rim run and the other on an XC trail at Blue Mountain in NY state). I weigh 165lbs and have been riding quite conservatively this season as I have been nursing an ACL reconstruction surgery in May.

The second rim they sent me under warranty was a so called "reinforced" one and it lasted only a handful of rides before cracking.

I have rebuilt my rear wheel back with a Flow rim and the combination of Chinese carbon front and flow rear rims did great on the recent trip to Arizona.
    The Chinese rim is a heavier build ( more carbon) , they said DH but I think just a little tougher than their AM build, weight is 437g so heavier than the Enve AM , I think they are 395g?

Anyhow I wasn't too concerned with weight, just like the point & shoot that comes with the stiff hoops, amazing performance advantage.

Another rider in my area has broken a couple of Enve's , & they are stronger than the Chinese rims.
    If you read up on the Chinese carbon wheel threads a reasonable number have broken the Chinese rims AM , XC & 29er , not sure about the DH build.... hope I'm not the first.
    By the way I've slimmed down to approx 210lbs ready to ride, so I'm sure I'll be fine with them.

mtbr member
    The Chinese rim is a heavier build ( more carbon) , they said DH but I think just a little tougher than their AM build, weight is 437g so heavier than the Enve AM , I think they are 395g?

Anyhow I wasn't too concerned with weight, just like the point & shoot that comes with the stiff hoops, amazing performance advantage.

Another rider in my area has broken a couple of Enve's , & they are stronger than the Chinese rims.
    If you read up on the Chinese carbon wheel threads a reasonable number have broken the Chinese rims AM , XC & 29er , not sure about the DH build.... hope I'm not the first.
    By the way I've slimmed down to approx 210lbs ready to ride, so I'm sure I'll be fine with them.
    I'll be very interested to hear how the 435g rims hold up for you; I would gladly take the slight weight penalty and go back to a wide carbon rear rim. The 410g I had didn't fare too well. You can find the details of my experience with pictures here and here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Sweet! Lots of dry trails down here in the Phoenix area
    Good idea. Looks like we're going to take a trip down your way in early-January. I posted on the Arizona forum seeking advice about where to stay/ride.
    Last edited by rslawrence; 12-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    I'll be very interested to hear how the 435g rims hold up for you; I would gladly take the slight weight penalty and go back to a wide carbon rear rim. The 410g I had didn't fare too well. You can find the details of my experience with pictures here and here.
    Most of the trails I ride don't have a lot of sharp edge rocks, more off camber roots than anything else. But I will be heading away over the break to some rocky riding ares , so we will see how they go.

mtbr member
    Most of the trails I ride don't have a lot of sharp edge rocks, more off camber roots than anything else. But I will be heading away over the break to some rocky riding ares , so we will see how they go.
    Just air up. Carbon doesn't dent, it cracks like in those pics (if you look you can see the point of impact). I dunno, maybe think of it like pyrex. It will last forever, never scratch like the cheapo non-stick pans. You can drop it on linoleum or a wood floor. But one drop on a tile/slate floor and its toast. Carbon is different. Don't treat it like metal and you will be fine. Failures do happen, all parts wear out. Go into it with an honest appraisal of the situation and the material you are using. In most cases, a well built carbon rim (like ENVE) will outlast aluminum rims. But used in the wrong situation, it will fail...and do so dramatically.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

From Venezuela

Bike setup:
    * Frame Size & Color: M Black
    * Rear Shock: CCDBAir
    * Fork: Fox 36 RC2 Fit 170mm
    * Brakes: Shimano Saint
    * Shifter: Shimano XTR
    * Crankset: Shimano XT
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Shadow
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    * Pedals: Nukeproof Al-Ti
    * Stem: Thompson 50mm
    * Handlebar: Raceface Atlas
    * Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb
    * Saddle: Selle Italia
    * Cassette: SRAM
    * Headset: Hope
    * Grips: Oury Lock-on
    * Tires: Maxxis Minion F/ High Roller
    * Rims: Nukeproof Generator
    * Hubs: Hope Pro Evo II
    * Spokes: DT Swiss Comp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-1.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-2.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-3.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-4.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-5.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-6.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-7.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-8.jpg  

RideDirt
    Awseom build ! Love the black and gold theme !

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Oh...my...god...

mtbr member
    elrubel, nice bike!! what size of rings are you using on your crank?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks men
    I'm using a 22/38

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks!!!
    I'm using a 22 blackspire and a 38 shimano XT
    And works perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrubel View Post
    Thanks!!!
    I'm using a 22 blackspire and a 38 shimano XT
    And works perfect!
    thanks man, the xt i bought is coming with a 26/38 but I might switch it up.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Amazing attention to detail! Did you custom paint your rotor bolts?

mtbr member
    Amazing attention to detail! Did you custom paint your rotor bolts?
    They do look sweet like the cable guides. Are they both from Mowa?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes both are from mowa

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by elrubel View Post
    Yes both are from mowa
    Where do you buy their stuff? I couldn't find their website.

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast