Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

356K views 1K replies 204 participants last post by  MarkMass 
#1 ·
I guess now is the right time to start a new thread...

#1,257 ·
The final build as seen some last minute changes due to availability, and I have yet to receive the drive side spokes so that I can build the wheels; but here she is so far in a stand in my room.... waiting...

I ended up running FR600 in the rear because of my bad habits and ex500 up front, I ran Chromag BZA Stem and Bar (cut down to 750), reverb post (ks was taking to long to supply the distributer), and the fork is a 180 that I will be changing to 170 on first service. Changed the factory decals on the float for their blackout anniversary edition. I have my standby easton haven post in the event of dropper failure on there now because I'm still waiting on my dropper (not critical).

I cant wait to take er out....

Attachments

#1,258 ·
That 'all black' is looking pretty good man! I myself have only to decide what seatpost to get. I've never had a dropper post so I'm not sure what to go with. I'd like a manual post but there's not much out there. Other than that, I'd have to have something with a thumb remote. I like the DOSS but don't much care for the remote.

#1,259 ·
Thanks man, see how it ends up.... So what exactly do you mean by a manual post? And I don't have any experience with droppers yet other than working on other peoples droppers at the shop but I think it'll be worth it... Especially here where there are a lot of ups and downs. Like I said I do have a regular post in the event the dropper has to be serviced though.

#1,262 ·
Yea I hear ya, I'm kind of impartial to pushing it because I've never ridden with one yet... Other than on the street outside the shop. When researching droppers though, I remember something about Thomson having that option with their elite dropper and gravity dropper having that option... Other than that... There's nothing wrong with a regular post and a QR

#1,263 ·
Hey I wasn't aware that the Thompson could be ordered as a manual post? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip. All Thompson products I've used over the past 15 years have been total quality...so perhaps their post is worth considering, though, it seems to 'me', that the entire dropper-post realm is somehow in need of a n 'evolution' in so far as the current approach. In due time, I bet someone will come up with some new design approach that is so superior in design that all others will be left scratching their heads wondering : 'why didn't we think of that?' ...Who knows when this will happen, but it surely will in due time. It's inevitable...given the fact that the current stock of designs ALL SHARE the exact same problems and issues.....

#1,269 ·
I figured out what I was doing wrong. ...I totally feel stupid, but I've got it sorted now. Luckily I was also able to re-use the brass fitting that was still attached to the length of hose that I originally cut. I didn't figure you could re-use them, but it seem to have worked. Helps to have super sharp cutters too. The line length seems fine too. Phew... I was breaking a sweat there out of angst. But now it's time for Brewski...

#1,274 ·
Very nice!Interesting, just two weeks ago I upgraded my preview fork (160mm air) to Vengeance coil and set it at 170mm. Can't try it yet due my injury. I am wondering how it feel with this fork, do you have any problem with uphills? Actually I had have two more options, to get Pike or X Fusion Sweep, but choose the Vengeance over last two, because of stiffness, coil, 20 axle, 36mm stanchions, budget (value for money) and 10mm more travel. My riding style aggressive AM, but I don't get bike parks (unfortunately we don't have bike parks here :)). You know in 2015 with all new forks and upgrades I just decided to go with coil fork from 2014 :).
How do you deal with your cockpit, and if you happy with Vengeance?

#1,276 ·
Finally:

Medium Frame
Fork - 2015 Fox 36 float 180 w/ blackout
Shock - DBAIR CS
Bar & Stem - Chromag BZA 35mm dia x 750mm width x 50mm length x 10mm rise
Grips - ODI lockon
Brakes - Hope Tech 3 evo 4 w/ braided lines (203mm & 185mm)
Drivetrain - Shimano XT
Extender - Hope T-rex
Deraileur Cage - OneUp RadR
Crankset - Raceface Turbine
Chainring - Raceface direct mount 32t
Headset - Hope Zero Stack top and External Cup lower
Seatpost - Rockshox Reverb 125mm x 380mm
Saddle - Chromag Trailmaster DT
Seatpost Collar - Hope
Pedal - Chromag Contact
Guide - MRP AMg
Front Wheel - Hope 20mm, DT champion, DT brass, DT ex500
Rear Wheel - Hope 12mm x 142mm, DT Champion, DT brass, DT FR600
Tires - Maxxis Highroller 2 3C (tubeless w/ gorilla tape and stans valves/sealant)

Finally done and weighing 32.1lbs

Attachments

#1,282 ·
I know the Chili is an "old" model, and the mob has moved on to the Warden, etc but it is still an amazing bike. I just got mine late last fall and had my first 4 days of real riding 2 weekends ago in Kamloops. Yes, its a big, solid bike that is serious overkill for many (most?) trails. But it went uphill fine (new 180 Fox Float) and was nothing but smiles and laughter on the way down. The faster, steeper, rougher, the better it works. FWIW, in my experience, stem length has way more to do with how well a bike can climb compared to fork travel. The new 180 Float is ~9mm longer AC length compared to my old Float 160 and I dont notice anything negative compared to the old 160. Its MUCH better in every way.

#1,285 ·
Finally finished 'er up this past weekend. Looks real nice in person :

SPECS :

Knolly Chilcotin Med / Raw
Rear Shock : Cane Creek DB Air CS
Fork : Bos DeVille 160mm Tapered ; 20mm axle
Headset : Cane Creek zero stack upper w/red and blue CC interlock spacers
Brakes : Hope Tech 3 w/E4 calipers (blue bore caps, blue reach and adjust screws)
Brake Lines : Hope Steel Braided
Rotors : Hope floating 183mm front and rear (red inner)
Stem : Thomson 70mm with 10 deg. rise
Bars : Easton Havoc Carbon 750mm
Grips : Lizard Skin Petey [gray]
Seatpost : KS-Lev 100mm
Seat : SDG ti rails.
Seatpost Collar : Hope Dropper, Red
Deraileurs Front and Rear : Shimano XTR w/med. cage
Cranks / BB : Shimano XTR Trail 2X
Pedals : Shimano XT Clipless
Shift / Dropper Housing : Jagwire titanium [close match to steel braided b.lines]
Wheels : e-thirteen TSR-Race; 23mm inner width
Tires : Continental Trail King 2.2 UST with Orange Sealer

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Spoke

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle frame

Product Technology Line Metal Grey

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Rim Spoke Bicycle accessory

BUILD NOTES : I went with the Jagwire Titanium kits for housing because it's a close match for the Steel-Braided Brake lines, both of which end up being somewhat 'transparent' in terms of esthetic presence upon the 'Raw' frame. On my last Knolly, I was never happy with the black housing because it sticks out like a sore thumb on anything but a black frame. With the Steel-Braided and Jag Titanium-look housing the entire bike looks a lot cleaner and refined because the lines 'blend in' with the frame. I also went back to 2X. I often times do rides that are 8 plus hours long, and with the 1X I had for a while I was never happy, and I mean never.... Either I'd have it set up great for super steep climbs, or for faster downs, but for me, the loss of gears along with super smooth up and down shifts is just a no go for me.

I also went with the Bos 160mm tapered because of its smooth / stiff / plush ride, as well as the long maintenance intervals and stiffness. 160mm is, for me, the perfect solution for general all-mountain trail riding, which is what I mostly do. I very rarely ride at bike parks.

I put a fair amount of thought into cable running, and it paid off. The cable routing looks really nice and came out really really nice. I could have saved some weight on the Brakes by going with something else, but the 'feel' of Hope Brakes is just something you get used to and I will never use any other Brand of Brakes. On the wheels, I took a chance and went with the E-Thirteen TRS-Race wheelset. I know they initially got some bad reviews when they first started making them, but they claim to have sorted out the initial issues and plus I got them for a steal and they are super nice in person and very very light and stiff too. I went with a KS-Lev just because of its non-moving cable as well as the thumb-remote. But just to cover my ass, I have a second one which is brand new in the box just in case the current one dies and I need to send it in. This bike is a major step up from my Delirium in terms of weight savings. Can't wait to take it to Moab and Fruita. Headed there soon.

#1,287 ·
Thanks man. Been a long road to getting this finished. Now I've worked it out so that I have the entire month of July and most of August to ride the west. So this bike is going to see some serious miles and I'll be taking it all over CO, UTAH, and parts of Oregon.

Hands down this is the best bike I have ever had the privilege of owning.

#1,290 ·
Another new large black Chilcotin. I call this the all metal build (vs my Mojo SL and Blur LTc). I haven't taken it out on the trails, but it's feeling really good pedaling around my parking lot and popping off the speed bumps. :)

[URL=https://flic.kr/p/tzSuoy]Knolly chilcotin by markmass, on Flickr[/URL]

The green Ergon grips aren't working for me and I'll be swapping them soon.

(A Knolly was the last bike I thought I'd buy after meeting the Knolly demo guy at the Fruita Fat Tire Fest a few years ago)

#1,291 ·
Another new large black Chilcotin. I call this the all metal build (vs my Mojo SL and Blur LTc). I haven't taken it out on the trails, but it's feeling really good pedaling around my parking lot and popping off the speed bumps. :)

Knolly chilcotin by markmass, on Flickr

The green Ergon grips aren't working for me and I'll be swapping them soon.

(A Knolly was the last bike I thought I'd buy after meeting the Knolly demo guy at the Fruita Fat Tire Fest a few years ago)
Nice Build Brother... I almost went with black myself... But I already have a black bike and the raw I got a great deal on at the time... You can't can't wrong with a Knolly. This is my second one. I had a Delirium T which I really liked but my Chilly is so much lighter...I feel like superman riding the Chilly because of the weight savings and the smooth ride is so much fun. This bike feels like it can climb up anything.

#1,292 ·
Got a set of these plastic bits with my new chilcotin frame. Move searched but can't find a good photo of them actually in use. Are these to help with securing cables to the linkage? Still couldn't figure it out after playing with them for a while. I anticipate an answer that makes me go DOH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,293 ·
Frame cable clips...

They clip directly into the slots that most people, including myself, sleeve zip-ties into and through. I myself prefer something that is actually permanently strung around the brake lines and cable housing. But to each his own. I myself used transparent, small gauge, marine zip-ties....which don't stick out like a sore thumb so to speak.

Just click the big one into position upon the double-channel welded cable mount---and you will see how it works. The small clip is for the single-channel mount...

#1,295 ·

Just finished building up my first knolly (dropper post goes on tomorrow). Been wanting to have a 160 gun to complement the other bikes for a while now. The rest of June and July will be feeling it out and dialing in the suspension in preparation for a Madeira trip in August.

Oh - and those plastic bits are nice for holding the hoses down as you build before you finalize and zip tie everything down.

I was particularly impressed with the fit & finish of the Hope headset. I normally go with cane creek but deviated this time just to see what else is out there. I also got their dropper seat collar (not in pic) which is really nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.