Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

356K views 1K replies 204 participants last post by  MarkMass 
#1 ·
I guess now is the right time to start a new thread...

#1,143 · (Edited)
Hi to all! First timer here in mtbr. Want to share my ride. Tnx!

Bike setup:
* Frame Size & Color: 2013 Team Orange Small
* Rear Shock: CCDB Inline
* Fork: Marzocchi 55RC3 Evo V2 Ti
* Brakes: Shimano Saint
* Shifter: Shimano XTR 1x10 setup
* Cranks: Race Face SixC 175mm
* Chainring: Race Face Narrowide 36T
* Chain: Yaban black
* Chainguide: Truvativ XO/MRP white
* Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR
* Pedals: Race Face Atlas black
* Stem: Easton Havoc 50mm black
* Handlebar: SixC 35 10mm rise
* Seatpost: KS Lev 125
* Seatmclamp: Others
* Saddle: Fizik Tundra 2
* Cassette: Shimano XTR
* Headset: Banshee Munroe 1.5R
* Grips: Race Face HalfNelson white
* Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tubeless
* Front Rim: Easton Haven 26
* Rear Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Tubeless
* Rear Rim: Easton Haven 26

*Bike Weight: 14kg? not yet sure

Attachments

#1,153 ·
the first 30% where sag is measured is a different ballgame than 30 to 80% through the travel. the bigger shocks with their piggybacks usually create a shock with more 'guts' (more supportive mid-stroke).
a classic example of how they can fail was the rp23 and later ctd...every knolly owner I remember sold those shocks and went for more guts...that's because even with an extra 100psi above spec and as lttle as 15-20% sag, they'd stll blow through...there were exeptions, but they were really skinny ppl

#1,157 ·
does my frame really weigh this much?

Hi everyone...
I'm the proud owner of a V-Tach(51 lbs) and a Delirium T (41 lbs)

with the CURRENT deals going on I decided to get a 2014 it new from wrenchscience.com and build it up as my light bike...

shooting for 32-33lb ranch :)
I bought a complete XT drivetrain and some XT brakes along with a Rockshox Pike 160mm solo air,and some other nice parts that I will post up after the build..

well my frame arrived and I threw it up on my scale and for some reason it was like 3/4ths of a pound heavier than I expected??

the frame with axle weighed 8 lbs 7 ounces???
and everything I read it should have weighed 7.5 lbs??

according to the knolly webites the frame with CCDBA-CS weighs 3401 grams = 7.49792 lbs?? CLICK ON SPECS IN LINK BELOW??
Knolly Bikes | Chilcotin

My frame is a medium day-glo green with the CCDBA-CS

is this correct??

for the record I weighed my Pike and it's supposed to weigh 4.05 ounces and on MY scale it weighed 4.1 lbs so I'm sure my scale it accurate??

Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Automotive tire Fender Bicycle
Product Technology Display device Machine Electric blue

#1,158 ·
Hi everyone...

with the CURRENT deals going on I decided to get a 2014 it new from wrenchscience.com and build it up as my light bike...

I bought a complete XT drivetrain and some XT brakes along with a Rockshox Pike 160mm solo air,and some other nice parts that I will post up after the build..

well my frame arrived and I threw it up on my scale and for some reason it was like 3/4ths of a pound heavier than I expected??

according to the knolly webites the frame with CCDBA-CS weighs 3401 grams = 7.49792 lbs?? CLICK ON SPECS IN LINK BELOW??
Knolly Bikes | Chilcotin

is this correct??

for the record I weighed my Pike and it's supposed to weigh 4.05 ounces and on MY scale it weighed 4.1 lbs so I'm sure my scale it accurate??

View attachment 939022 View attachment 939023
I'm sure the original bike was weighed with a CTD, and the CCDBA is about .75lbs heavier.

#1,160 · (Edited)
I reposted this because my first post got buried in the middle of this thread for not many to see:(...sorry.

Hi everyone...

Knolly Bikes | Chilcotin

is this correct??

View attachment 939022 View attachment 939023

#1,161 ·
tiSS'er replied this to me..

I'm sure the original bike was weighed with a CTD, and the CCDBA is about .75lbs heavier.

then I linked this thread ... that shows the CCDBA-CS weigh roughly 220 grams heavier putting my frame around 7 3/4 lbs??? where is my extra 3/4 lb coming from??anyone know how much the paint weighs??

#1,162 ·
Like TiSSer mentioned, The 7.5 pound frame weight was probably raw frame with CTD, maybe no axle. I imagine between the ccdba and paint you are looking at .75 pounds. 220 grams is almost half pound. Add paint to that and you are up to 3/4 of a pound.

Considering your light bike is 41 pounds I wouldn't worry about this small amount. I'm sure you will love it regardless.

tiSS'er replied this to me..

then I linked this thread ... that shows the CCDBA-CS weigh roughly 220 grams heavier putting my frame around 7 3/4 lbs??? where is my extra 3/4 lb coming from??anyone know how much the paint weighs??

#1,167 ·
33 lb build should be no problem. Mine was 32.7 lbs with a KS LEV dropper, which has failed so it's now probably 32 until it gets back from KS. If I went 1x10 it would be 32 with dropper, 31 without. I don't have any carbon hoops or anything. I've got the CC DBair and a 2015 Fox 36 on it.

#1,168 ·
thanks everyone :)

here is my build...
still waiting on a few parts to be delivered,..
I know the wheelset rims are DH, but they aren't really all that heavy IMO? front wheel 950 grams and rear wheel 1,070 grams so 2,020 total

XT crank w/2 rings 24/34 (10 sp)
XT chain
XT cassette 36
XT shifters
XT brakes
XT front & rear derailleur's
Thomson seat post
WTB Pure V Race PRO saddle(titanium rails)
Chromag seat clamp
Chromag Ranger 50mm stem
Deity CZ38 special bars
ODI TLD grips
2.35 Kenda Nevegals( folding)
Maxxis welterweight tubes
Hope Pro2 Evo hubs
Sapim double butted spokes w/brass nipples
Mavic EX 721 rims
Avid G2 180mm rotors
Blackspire twinty bash guard & chain guide
Straitline AMP pedals
Rockshox Pike 160MM solo air fork
CCDBA-CS shock
HOPE inset top & traditional bottom cup headset

#1,170 ·
A little off topic, but has anyone found a bottle cage that will work with a size L frame and a CCDBA? I'm thinking maybe a side load cage might work if it was set fairly high up on the downtube, far enough to give the rear shock clearance. I have tried a few and some are close, but the bottle still touches the piggy back or it's too far up in the frame to get it out easily. I haven't tried any side loading cages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.