Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    So many nice new builds here, wow!

But because of balance - 11months old M-sized frame, now after >500hours of riding

Many setups during this time - biggest changes during past months were change from gripper shifted SRAM 1x9 to other S trigger shifted 1x10, only because of slimmer rear der - that one is Saint M820 with XTR-trigger. There`s 34T in front and 11-32 (or -34) rear. Another one "new project" is Woodie. Been only on flats past times, those ones are Syntace Nbr9`s - really good ones.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx View Post

Many setups during this time - biggest changes during past months were change from gripper shifted SRAM 1x9 to other S trigger shifted 1x10, only because of slimmer rear der - that one is Saint M820 with XTR-trigger. There`s 34T in front and 11-32 (or -34) rear. Another one "new project" is Woodie. Been only on flats past times, those ones are Syntace Nbr9`s - really good ones.
    I see a lot of changes from your original post (even the brake cables).

-- Let us know about how you like the Woodie and the Lev (what length of Lev did you get?).
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ^ TSC, you`re right - changed also brakes from Formula One to XTR Trails, cables too. Have used this year BlacX, Reverb, Kronolog and Lev, latter two w/o problems, that one is 125mm model. Too early to review Woodie, ridden only few hours with it. Local climate does not support testing, too much water everywhere - trials are more like small streams and somebody has slimed rocks and roots...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey pergamonx, like the new look,nice photo.

How's the Devilles holding up? I had a problem with mine sitting down to 140mm travel, so sending them back to BOS. they told me they would turn them round in 8-10 days. Now running Idylle SC coils which are even better than the Devilles, much plusher, more grip but 0.8kg heavier.

Really like your opinion on the Woodie, let us know.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    How's the Devilles holding up? I had a problem with mine sitting down to 140mm travel, so sending them back to BOS. they told me they would turn them round in 8-10 days. Now running Idylle SC coils which are even better than the Devilles, much plusher, more grip but 0.8kg heavier.

Really like your opinion on the Woodie, let us know.
    Deville is still fine, after 16months rides. Airseals has been changed to SKF-ones, in same time new oils (not AMX...) inside. Been lucky with this one.

Few friends here have had more serious problems with their Devilles, mostly play in airside leg - there`s one discussion inside IBIS-thread about those problems. Donīt really know what`s the actual problem there; are those slider upper bushings broken or is there some play between bushings and stanchion tubes...

Iīll give my expressions about Woodie, but just after more serious testing - might take some weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Thanks for the tire advice. (G-AIR probably appreciates it too.) I already have both tires in-hand so I will probably give them a whirl before trying something different.

Back when I was doing my research I read some reviews (example: Schwalbe Big Betty and Muddy Mary MTB Tire Review) that made me believe the Big Betty would be a better tire for where I plan on riding it (Southern Utah).

I have the DHF (front and back) on my DH bike and have liked the traction they have provided, but I will definitely give the Fat Alberts a try in the future.

Side note: I've only ridden Hans Dampf on my Chili so I'm not sure of the reason (air pressure, fork settings, lack of skill, etc.) but my front end has slid out from under me numerous times. Even worse is that I'm not able to tell when it is about to go, so it makes high-speed, flat/off-camber cornering a bit tense (especially with my wrist still healing from a mid-season break). I'm not blaming the tires, but will interesting to see if I get different results with the Big Betty.
    Hey TSC. I was reading this thread and noticed you were looking for a great tire for southern Utah! I ride in northern utah (SLC/PC area) for my home base and take about 8-10 trips down to southern utah (Moab/Hurricane) a year. I have found that the Hans Dampf ( the stickier Trailstar) is an amazing tire in both cases. The one problem with the Hans Dampf is that the rear tire wars out very, very fast. I put a Conti Trail King (2.4 Black Chili) on the rear and AWESOME!!!!!! So far it is wearing better than the HD. And traction with the HD front / Trail King rear is unbelievable. Climbing traction, off camber slick-rock holding traction, braking traction is great. I still have plenty of life on my front, and no complaints, but I would also consider trying the Conti tire up front as well.

Edit----
    About the front tire sliding out, are you running the Trailstar or Pacestar compound? The pacestar is nice and fast but the tire is just not sticky enough especially on rock. This could be part of the reason for the slide. If this is the case, the Trailstar compound will not slide. Also, the Hans Dampfs have nice sturdy sidewalls and really like to be run down in pressure. I am about 210ish with pack and I run my HD fronts at 24 and the Conti Trail King rear at 29. This is gobs of traction while keeping rolling resistance just fine. If I am going to do a day of DH (say lift served at Deer Valley or Porcupine Rim), I sometimes drop a pound or two more... Also, the tire pressure is dependant on the width of your rim (at least for the Hans Dampf) On my previous bike with Mavic Crossmax SL (skinny rim) I ran the Hans Dampfs at 30 psi. On the Knolly using Stans Flow EX (wide rim) this 30 was dropped to 24 for the same feel. In summary, drop them really really low and add pressure until a) the sidewalls are not folding when cornering and b) you don't notice the rolling resistance of under inflation.

Are you going down to the Hurrican Mountain bike festival this weekend?

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaptive View Post
    Hey TSC. I was reading this thread and noticed you were looking for a great tire for southern Utah! ...
    Overall, Iíve planned this month very poorly. I missed Red Bull Rampage. Iíve committed to help friends move this weekend. (I didnít even know about Hurricane Mountain Bike Festival.) And, Iíve committed to be in St. George (for work, mountain biking and taking friends through a slot canyon) during the weekend of the 20th, which is the weekend my UT riding buddies are going to Moab. Hopefully, Iím going to try to hit Moab before snow closes the road up the La Sals (love the big burritoóhazard down).

Huge thanks for the advice. I've been running the HD trailstar front and back. I am amazed about the sidewall strength foldable tire. I have Kenda Nevagals on my loaner bike and the HD are firmer tubeless with 30 psi than the Nevagals are with tubes at 35 psi.

I think the reason I was having the slide out problem is four fold: 1) off-camber corners/trails; 2) loose, powdery dirt; 3) rider incompetence; and 4) too much weight forward (Iíve been running a 90mm stem and I have a suspicion that it makes properly weighting the front tire a bit tricky while cornering in bad conditions). I did the Wasatch Crest Trail 2 weekends ago (the week after it snowed so the dirt was tacky) and didnít have any problems. I was cutting in and out of ruts at high-speed and was amazed at the lack of tire slip.

FWIW: I've tried the front HD as low as 24 psi in the front, but I typically run it around 28-29 psi front. I run a lot of trails at 20+ mph (according to my GPS) that have sharp-edge rocks so when I see the tire mushing down at 24 psi it scares me. (I don't want to dent my ZTR rims. )

Trail Kings are definitely on my radar. Catch22 seems to really like them and from what I can tell he rides Norther UT, Grande Junction, Moab and Fruita often. For now, Iím going to go with the tires I already have (Front: Schwalbe Big Betty UST K tire, 26 x 2.4" TrailStar Rear: Maxxis Minion-DHF UST K tire, 26 x 2.5" SuperTacky). Iíve got to admit that was a little more reassured when I saw Doerfling was running the Minion at the RBR (2013 Podium at The Rampage).

Yebo Numzaan
    Wow. Snow on the Wasatch crest trail. That's nuts. Off to UT next weekend.
    I support EMBA

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    The days are getting short but the temps are getting primo for mountain-biking in UT.

It was just a one-day storm along the Wasatch, but it put my butt into gear. I had never ridden the WCT and it has been on my list for the last 3 years. I made a special trip to SLC (only 3.5 hrs) to do it.

FWIW: The WCT is a great trail (the pipeline part in Mill Creek was beautiful in the fall colors), but man was it crowded! I passed more people on WCT in 3 hours than live within a 25 mile radius of my house. I'm a bit spoiled I guess. Except for in the Jackson area I've yet to see another mountain biker, besides those with whom I'm riding, on a trail near where I live.

Knollician
    You guys need to come to Phoenix, we are now just entering primo riding season
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    You guys need to come to Phoenix, we are now just entering primo riding season
    Muttonchops is your man! I don't have the lungs, legs, skills or Sherpas to get the top of any of your rides.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Muttonchops is your man! I don't have the lungs, legs, skills or Sherpas to get the top of any of your rides.
    How do you know? Come one down, we will have Knoll-fest 2012!

mtbr member
    Yea, Knoll-fest or Chili-fest

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    Yea, Knoll-fest or Chili-fest
    Either way...you are invited

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post

So bummed I can't make it.

TSC
    Buehliever
    How do you know? Come one down, we will have Knoll-fest 2012!
    If some people head your way I'm game. I would love to match names and faces with the Knolly crew. I'm a sh!tty rider, but good to laugh at; and can buy a round or three. And some constructive advice (after the laughter) would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Now that this thread has been completely hijacked....

The Wasatch Crest Trail makes for a fantastic ride! A new trail was built this year in Park City (Pinecone) that connects Armstrong to the top of the WCT. The preferred route now lets you start at Park City Mountain Resort (PCMR), climb to the crest (3000' of vert), ride the crest, and then descent down to the Canyons back into Park City. Fantastic!!! If anyone ever comes to the Wasatch part of Utah, I will be glad to play tour-guide. I'm also going back to Moab the weekend of Nov. 3rd. It would be awesome to meet and roll with some Knolly guys!

I might be up for a trip to Phoenix too, as long as it is after ski season and before moab season next year

mtbr member

My brother joined the Chilcotin party!

I'm using it as a centerpiece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-knolly-1.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-knolly-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, I finally got some pics of her cleaned up. I am about a month or so in to riding the chili and all I can say is that it is an extremely well-rounded, balanced frame. Climbs and descends awesome! I have done bike park laps, dirt jumps, lots of local loops/out-and-backs, The Whole Enchilada (Moab) and 2 or 3 20+ mile rides and I am so stoked!

Here is the most recent pic. Just setup tubeless with new spec tires. I will have many more years of good riding on this thing. I got my dhx4 in the mail about 2 weeks ago but need a few more paychecks before I can send it to Craig @ Avalanche, then a few more paychecks for the fork to be sent in as well.

Cheers guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-knolly.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    nice shot

RideDirt
    Sweet bike !! Dammit I wish my frame was here already

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Finally getting around to posting up my rig.

Medium Chili
    RP23
    Float 160 Fit RC2
    Full XT (now with Shadow Plus! - so sick)
    MRP 2x (taking it off soon, b/c Shadow Plus)
    Reverb
    Thomson stem 70mm
    RF Atlas bar 785mm
    Wheels: DT 350 to WTB Frequency i23 rims (But currently rolling on Enve AM for review purposes...really don't want to give them back)

Finally getting this thing dialed in. I've been struggling with r. shock setup, but I'm thinking about 30% sag on the nose makes for lively, fun riding and no problems using all travel.

It goes by "Darth Kashima"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-img_0031.jpg  

mtbr member
    Either way...you are invited
    Knollyfest in Phoenix!! I'm in. So when is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    I'm using it as a centerpiece
    Nice. I like how it matches your kitchen. (Love the black with ruby accents)

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Knollyfest in Phoenix!! I'm in. So when is it?
    Well... it started a couple of years ago and hasn't let up since

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast