Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1344
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Webbstar 8 View Post
    Hi all hoping to get my hands on 1 of these over the next week just not sure which. This will be my first knolly so cannot wait

Knolly
 Chilcotin 
Large
 Raw 
with 
cane
creek
 hs,
ccdb‐cs
    Fox
Talas 
160mm
    Chromag 
Fubars 
OSX 
black
 chrome
    Chromag 
Ranger 
Stem
50mm
    Chromag 
trailmaster
    Chromag 
Scarab 
Pedals
    Chromag 
Fixed
 Seat
 Clamp
    Chromag 
Palm
 Skin
 Grips
    Shimano
 xtr
 crankset
    e13
‐
Guidering 
M
Chainring
    Shimano
 xtr
 rear
derailleur
speed
shadow
+
    Shimano 
xtr
 shifter
    Hope
Tech
E4
brakeset 
with
183mm
\floating

rotors
    Hope
 Pro
 evo
 with 
stans
\low 
wheels
    XTR
10spd 
Cassette
    XTR
 Chain
    KS 
Dropper 
Seatpost
    Schwalbe
 Hans 
Dampf

Or

As above but with the following

SRAM 
XX1
 Cranks
    SRAM
X‐Sync 
11spd
 36t
 chainring
    SRAM
 X01 
11spd
 derailleur
    SRAM
 X01
 11spd
 shifter
    SRAM
 PG1170
Speed
 Cassette 
11‐32
    Chain
 11 spd

I've never ran 1X10 or 11 before so any imput on how the two might ride would be great
    id give my vote to sram because the clutch works flawlessly on their rear mech and narrow wide is safer than without it...ive never needed a chainguide with my sram setups...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    id give my vote to sram because the clutch works flawlessly on their rear mech and narrow wide is safer than without it...ive never needed a chainguide with my sram setups...
    Good to hear SRAM is getting the clutch right, I had a buddy get 3 replacement rear ders under warranty for not clutching correctly. They took care of him with an X0 replacement the 3rd time around!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi all hoping to get my hands on 1 of these over the next week just not sure which. This will be my first knolly so cannot wait

Fox
Talas 
160mm
    I would question getting the Talas in 160mm. I think in the lower position the bike will be very awkward. Why not go float and save a bit of weight? Talas makes sense if you are doing a 180mm and want the lowered height for climbing. At 160, I don't think you will need it. Not to mention those Scarab pedals are pretty big. In the lowered position you can expect a lot of pedal strikes unless climbing very smooth fireroad.
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

Let's Ride!
    I'm running the Talas 180 and it's perfect....180 is killer on the downs and 140 is great climbing and fun for the easy downs......160 would be a great in between...

I'm running shimano clutch with a raceface narrow/wide and it works great and is much cheaper than Sram.....for whatever that's worth??
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Bike setup:
    * Frame Size & Color: Medium Raw
    * Rear Shock: CCDB coil – 450lb titanium spring
    * Fork: BOS deville 160mm
    * Brakes: Saint 203 front, 180 rear
    * Shifter: SRAM X9 10 Speed-->soon to be saint shifter
    * Cranks: Raceface sixc with raceface narrow/wide 32 ring
    * Chainguide: N/A(Recently removed but left the bash)
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9--->soon to be saint with clutch
    * Pedals: Straitlines--->soon to be podium 2
    * Stem: Thomson 70mm
    * Handlebar: Nukeproof carbon 760mm with 20mm rise
    * Seatpost: KS dropper
    * Saddle: Chromag lynx DT
    * Cassette: SRAM 10 speed 12-36
    * Headset: Cane Creek 110
    * Grips: Knolly charger
    * Front Tire: Hans dampf 2.35 or 2.4
    * Front Rim: Stan flow EX
    * Front Hub: I9 torch
    * Rear Tire: Hans dampf 2.35 or 2.4
    * Rear Rim: Stan flow EX
    * Rear Hub: I9 torch

*Weight: 32lb

*Rider Setup
    *Weight: 191 no geared
    *Height: 5’9”

Have had the bike for over a year now.

Recent changes include:
    1. Went from 780mm renthal bar to 760mm nukeproof
    ->it's a lot more responsive. Better in turns and single track. I think easier to climb with. 780mm was bit overkill for what I ride
    2. Went from 2x10 to single 32 ring.
    ->Much better. A lot simpler and 32 is great for where I ride. Forces me into a higher ratio and now i'm finding that i'm going up faster, lifting up over things a lot better and getting less pedal strikes(cause the momentum requires fewer crank rotations)
    3. Avid to Saint brakes
    ->Much much better. These saints came off my intense ss and love them
    4. Used to run 50mm stem now 70mm
    ->I find that this gives me more room. Easier to climb and I'm finding that i'm going down faster too. For me bike is more balanced now and I can get better weight on the front during turns for traction. Also being a bit higher since I put more spacer under stem and have riser bars lets me stand and pedal on fireroads, breath better during seated climbs and for some reason descend better. It's just a better fit for me.

Other notes:
    1. CCDB coil is flawless. Haven't touched it since putting on with advised settings. Had a CCDB air before that couldn't get quite right.
    2. BOS fork is amazing too. I used to run it soft but have since increased the compression and I like it much better.
    3. KS seatpost has always been good and reliable
    4. Got I9 torch hubs and stan flow EX rims. The hubs are brilliant. I really feel that they do engage much faster. Instant powarhhh!

Photos no good but will post better ones once I get the new parts.

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-2014-01-18-10.32.23.jpgKnolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-2014-01-18-10.32.39.jpg

mtbr member
    I like your changes and your description of what those changes did for your riding/comfort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Decided today on the sram 11speed set up will post some photos when it's done

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Decided today on the sram 11speed set up will post some photos when it's done
    If you happen to catch wind of any POINT 1 RACING discount codes be sure to post up. US$169 for the podium 2 pedals is on the steep side

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  88.1 KB

Almost there

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    32t here as well, with 11-36 in the back.
    32t 10x1, 12-36 in back. Loving it!

mtbr member
    have had my Chili for over a year now and still smile everytime I ride it. Love it.

mtbr member
    Turnbull canyon water tower, underrated place to ride. Yea buddy!

mtbr member
    Absolutely. Was there for a few days and was glad to get some ridding in since all I have is snow now.

mtbr member
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  88.1 KB

Almost there
    Its been 5 days, what gives?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Had to wait for a few parts but it was worth it my first knollyKnolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow! As in wow! Nice ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What's going on with Lev cable? Is it just red housing or did you use the front mech cable stop and some gore cable to the post?

Do you have full build specs?

Bike looks good!
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeh used the mech stop, spec list is

Knolly
 Chilcotin
 Large
 Raw cane
 creek
 40 series ccdb‐cs
    Fox
 Talas
 160mm
    Chromag
 Fubars
 OSX
 black
chrome
    Chromag
 Ranger
 Stem
 50mm
    Chromag
 trailmaster
    Chromag
 Scarab
 Pedals
    Chromag
 Seat
 Clamp
    Chromag
 Palm
 Skin
 Grips
    SRAM
 XX1
Cranks
    SRAM
X‐Sync
11spd
36t
chainring
    SRAM
 X01
 11spd
derailleur
    SRAM
 X01
 11spd
shifter
    Hope
Tech
E4
 brakeset
 with
183mm 
floating

rotors
    Hope
 Pro
 evo 
with
 stans
 flow
wheels
    SRAM
 XO111
Speed
 Cassette

Chain
 11spd
    KS Lev 
Dropper
 Seatpost
    Schwalbe 
Hans
 Dampf Tyres

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Interesting. Any issues with sealing the cable where it enters the post?
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not yet but not been out riding to really see

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice build Webbstar! The CCDB is my next upgrade. It's actually the only upgrade I have on my mind at all - rest of the bike is perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ^^^ Perfect looking bike and perfect looking trails. Kinda VERY jealous right now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-p5pb10578943.jpg Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-p5pb10578946.jpg

Some beautiful bikes in here. Loved my first season on my Chilco, although I didn't ride nearly enough. Definitely plan on fixing that this upcoming season. After some time on the bike I am getting around to changing out things to hopefully make it even better. Just put on a new stem, bars, brakes, and grips. Lightened up the brakes going from V4's to E4's and widened the bars a bit with a shorter stem. Still want to switch out to a 9T canfield system with n/w front ring and ditch the chain guide. Also want to get a longer travel fork that I can run out to 180 for park season. Avy'ing a fork is tempting, but expensive even going the used route. Looking at the new Metric as well. Getting stir crazy already and we aren't even close to done with winter. It sits now under 30lbs with the dropper, when I'm done it should be under 29 with a dropper and 180mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Stoked New Chilli owner!

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-p1010989.jpg

With the help of a very helpful forum member (and the knolly forum in general) I a new Knolly owner. Just got her built up this morning. I cant begin to explain how excited I am. This is my first frame up build and it went pretty smooth, a few hiccups here and there but nothing major. Im coming off a Trek Slash, and cant wait to see how this compares now that I have a proper rear shock under me.

On a side note..... anyone have any experiences with the 2014 Havens. It seems like there a lot of bad reviews about past years models but nothing recent. I think the mat rim with gloss black details will compliment the build well.

On another side note..... I used some Faux carbon fiber vinyl wrap (which I discovered perusing the Knolly forum) on the chainstay and down tube and Im quite happy with how it worked out. It was really easy to apply and you can hardly tell its there on the black frame. Its a bit thin though, so I have 3 layers of it on the down tube, but still barely noticeable.

mtbr member
    Ominous, that bike looks killer. Weather you have to beg steal or borrow, I would suggest a carbon wheelset, game changers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Ominous, that bike looks killer. Weather you have to beg steal or borrow, I would suggest a carbon wheelset, game changers.
    Cant wait to put 26" derby rims on my chili when they come out

mtbr member

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread

Great looking bike ominous. I think the issues with Havens and all Easton wheels were the hubs - at least in the past. No personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanpatrickb View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb10578943.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	867191 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb10578946.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	867192

Some beautiful bikes in here. Loved my first season on my Chilco, although I didn't ride nearly enough. Definitely plan on fixing that this upcoming season. After some time on the bike I am getting around to changing out things to hopefully make it even better. Just put on a new stem, bars, brakes, and grips. Lightened up the brakes going from V4's to E4's and widened the bars a bit with a shorter stem. Still want to switch out to a 9T canfield system with n/w front ring and ditch the chain guide. Also want to get a longer travel fork that I can run out to 180 for park season. Avy'ing a fork is tempting, but expensive even going the used route. Looking at the new Metric as well. Getting stir crazy already and we aren't even close to done with winter. It sits now under 30lbs with the dropper, when I'm done it should be under 29 with a dropper and 180mm fork.
    Curious to see your build list to get that low. I am sure the Nics are helping but I can't imagine running a tire that light with a 180 fork.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For park duty I'll dial the fork out to 180, but also move the HD to the rear and try out a Magic Mary up front. Even with the heavier tires it should stay under 29 going to an i-beam post/saddle. Rest of the year I plan on running it at 160. The most weight to be lost now is going to a wolftooth ring and bash, and the Canfield cassette. The goal isn't really to cut weight, though it will. I just realized after a season that it was overbuilt for pretty much anything but real DH race tracks.

Frame: Small Black
    Rear Shock: DBA
    Fork: Vengeance HLR Coil
    Brakes: Hope E4's F/R-183
    Shifter: Saint M820
    Cranks: XO 170
    Chainring: Bling Ring 32
    Chainguide: E-13 LG1+
    Rear Derailleur: Saint M820
    Pedals: Canfield Ultimates
    Stem: 50mm Chromag Ranger
    Handlebar: Enve Risers
    Seatpost: Thomson Dropper
    Saddle: WTB Devo Carbon
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Grips: Sensus
    Front Tire: Hans Dampf 2.35
    Rear Tire: Nobby Nic 2.25
    Rims: Stans Flow EX
    Hub: Hope Evo 2

Edit: I rode Winter Park once last year with this tire set up. Sketchy to say the least, although fast as hell on the smooth stuff.
    Last edited by seanpatrickb; 02-04-2014 at 11:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think you might want to check your scale again. I have a much lighter build on my bike and come in just over 29lbs. I had my bike built similar last season and was at around 32lbs. Unless my scale is off, in that case my bike weighs about 27lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just used a home scale, but the spreadsheet I put together before my build pegged it right around 30 as well, a little under.

Edit: If I can find a good deal on a 180 float I may just keep it at that year round and run 1 1/8 with zs. Anyone notice any tangible difference between 1 1/8 and tapered?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a 1 1/8" straight on a 170 vengeance last season and I couldn't tell a difference other than I knew it was a smaller steer tube mentally. I went that route so I could use an internal headset and keep HT angle reasonable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Ride Update

I just wanted to provide an update on my build. I have had time on the trail and all I can say is that its the perfect do it all bike for me. Even thought its got DH components and a 180mm fork, I feel it climbs just as good as my Giant Trance X1 which I think was only 120mm. On the way day, it feels like a DH rig even though its not. The am really glad I went with the 180mm fork given the riding I do. The component mix is great too. Everything just works so seamlessly. My old bike is in the background. It served me well, but the new bike is just better in every way.

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-knolly1.jpg
    Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-knolly2.jpg
    Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-knolly3.jpg

mtbr member
    Such a nice lookin bike, one heck of an upgrade! Should have my DMR Vaults in a few days.

Let's Ride!
    Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-p4pb10505023.jpgI'll second the 180 working so well on these bikes!! oh and I love my Vaults too!!

I've switched to a 50mm stem instead of the 35mm which was just not responsive to me......now other than some day getting better cranks this bike is done.....now I just need to learn to ride :-)

Let's Ride!
    oh and Ardent's suck A#$ in the front, so I'm waiting for a good sale for a new front tire.......no grip on corners.... :-)

mtbr member
    I had the same experience with the Ardent up front as well. Scared the daylights out of me, actually. I've had thoughts about trying it out on the rear though, as it does roll faster than the Minion, but my short initial expedience with it left me doubtful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    oh and Ardent's suck A#$ in the front, so I'm waiting for a good sale for a new front tire.......no grip on corners.... :-)
    That is because you are running a 2.25 Ardent. The 2.4 Ardent is a much better front tire. However, if you don't like drifty tires that let go in the transition then hook back up on the edges, you won't like the Ardent.

The 180 and external lower cup may also be affecting the balance of the bike in corners. I tried my Chilcotin with the same set up and found it was more difficult to keep the front tire planted in the corners. Ultimately ended back at 160mm travel but 170 seemed to bring some balance back. Nice ride BTW.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    That is because you are running a 2.25 Ardent. The 2.4 Ardent is a much better front tire. However, if you don't like drifty tires that let go in the transition then hook back up on the edges, you won't like the Ardent.

The 180 and external lower cup may also be affecting the balance of the bike in corners. I tried my Chilcotin with the same set up and found it was more difficult to keep the front tire planted in the corners. Ultimately ended back at 160mm travel but 170 seemed to bring some balance back. Nice ride BTW.
    can't stand "drifting" into a corner if I don't want it to. and I know, 2.4 would probably be better, but I'll just be getting something else soon, thinking a Vigilante in the front.....I don't mind the rear moving a bit.........my favorite set up so far was a Nevegal in the front and a Specialized "the captain" in the back, but the captain had the thinnest sidewalls.........

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    can't stand "drifting" into a corner if I don't want it to. and I know, 2.4 would probably be better, but I'll just be getting something else soon, thinking a Vigilante in the front.....I don't mind the rear moving a bit.........my favorite set up so far was a Nevegal in the front and a Specialized "the captain" in the back, but the captain had the thinnest sidewalls.........
    Do it...2.3/2.4 Specialized Butcher, Minion, Schwalbe Big Betty - there are too many good 2.3-2.4 tires that come in a variety of compounds and casings to not find one that helps you ride with more confidence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New Hoops

Got some new wheels to finish out my build. Got a set of Hope Pro Evos mounted up to Carbon Enduro Rims from Nobl wheels

NOBL Wheels - Custom Wheels & Accessories

I dont know for sure, but I think they use Light Bicycle rims. They use the same designators for the different rim types. I cant comment on how they ride (weather still terrible), but the fit and finish look top notch, and they mounted up with no fuss. The price is hard to beat, a little more than a grand delivered for the complete wheels with tape and valves. Plus they offer a 2yr crash replacement at 25%
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-p1020030.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-p1020037.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sweet. Let us know how you like the bike / wheels once the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
    Got some new wheels to finish out my build. Got a set of Hope Pro Evos mounted up to Carbon Enduro Rims from Nobl wheels

I dont know for sure, but I think they use Light Bicycle rims. They use the same designators for the different rim types. I cant comment on how they ride (weather still terrible), but the fit and finish look top notch, and they mounted up with no fuss. The price is hard to beat, a little more than a grand delivered for the complete wheels with tape and valves. Plus they offer a 2yr crash replacement at 25%
    Damn, so tempted by all these carbon wheels...
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Looks like we will have twin bikes pretty soon. Other than the red accents, we have pretty much the exact same build. I'll be going with black kings and the same rims. Are you using an external cup on your chili (in black)? Hard to tell in the pics. I'm debating going back to 160mm on the Lyric due to the external cup and was curious what your thoughts are with 170mm and external cup.

BL

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous View Post

Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLust View Post
    I'm debating going back to 160mm on the Lyric due to the external cup and was curious what your thoughts are with 170mm and external cup.
    I'm not Ominous, but I can add a bit to this if it helps. I've ran two 170 forks on my Chili, one was a straight steer tube with an King inset lower cup, the other was a tapered steer tube with an King external cup. (I only mention the King part b/c I think they have fairly tall stack heights comparatively.)

I honestly prefer the tapered/external set up. It just feels more solid and stiff to me. And I don't mind the extra bit of slack. I've always preferred a slacker geo. And the wee bit ( ~ .5 degrees) of slackness didn't effect my climbing or anything like that.

And for the record, the two forks were the EXACT same fork, so that def has no factor in my findings.

HTH.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am using an external cup. If your asking how it rides with that set up, I couldn't tell you just yet. I can throw some numbers at you though. With the CC external cup and the lyrik@170 my phone is telling me I have a 66.2 degree head angle in the steeper setting. Im also running 12mm's worth of spacers, a 0 rise stem, and a 1/2 rise bar and Im 5'8". Which is kinda funny because I was really worried the front end was going to be to high for my liking with the external cup.

mtbr member
    Went from Float 36 160, straight steer tube and steep mode, to Lyric 170 tapered and slack mode (both with external cup headset), and i feel my Chilli rides much better, downhill and uphill! No climbing issues at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc02973.jpg  

Knolly Chilcotin: Build Information, Photos and Set-up Thread-dsc04014.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Cant wait to put 26" derby rims on my chili when they come out
    Are you implying that there will be Derby carbon rims in 26", in addition to their existing 27.5" and 29" offering (derby rims)?

mtbr member
    Yes, Derby is now making them in the dead but not forgotten (I kid) 26" flavor. They are truly remarkable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Yes, Derby is now making them in the dead but not forgotten (I kid) 26" flavor. They are truly remarkable.
    Link?