Knomer

Knolly Bikes is heading to Eurobike!!

Noel and I are flying out tomorrow, where he and I will arm wrestle during the 12 hour flight to determine which model will get flipped into carbon first.

Be sure to 'like' us on Facebook and Instagram for exclusive top secret spy photos taken from my iphone of all the secret carbon CX bikes we are unveiling at the show. Should be fun!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Five5hot
    Woo hoo! Exciting news indeed!

My vote is for the Endorphin to get the carbon treatment first!

mtbr member
    Remember they serve free booze on international flights, so make your decision at the end so that it is unexpected!

Have a safe trip and fun at the show!

mtbr member
    Join the herd - offer a 150mm 650b carbon and give it a new name. Hold a naming contest. My suggestion would be to call it exactly what it would be - the "Trendy." Wait how about the RiF? Perfect. The Knolly RiF - Resistance is Futile! Double Entendre right there - the customer can't resist the Knolly and Knolly could not resist the trends that sell bikes and still survive. I would love to be RiF-ed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    Join the herd - offer a 150mm 650b carbon and give it a new name. Hold a naming contest. My suggestion would be to call it exactly what it would be - the "Trendy." Wait how about the RiF? Perfect. The Knolly RiF - Resistance is Futile! Double Entendre right there - the customer can't resist the Knolly and Knolly could not resist the trends that sell bikes and still survive. I would love to be RiF-ed.

I liked the naming game we played with the Podium. I really thought you should have picked one of my names, originally. But after racing the Podium, I feel you made the correct choice :P
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Montana, Idaho, South Africa

mtbr member
    If it is a 650b, I say name it Contagion. Everyone thought the 29er was a fad. It doesn't appear that 650b is a "fad".
    So it's name should be Contagion. Podium, Chilcotin, Endorphin, and Contagion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    If it is a 650b, I say name it Contagion. Everyone thought the 29er was a fad. It doesn't appear that 650b is a "fad".
    That's pretty good! I'd like to catch it...

mtbr member
    ouh... sounds very good. so maybe i should come over and have a chat with you guys, when you give europe the hounour of a visit.

mtbr member
    will you be in all the time? means: will you be there on the public day?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow carbon really? "sigh"....gotta start saving

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Are you at the Tri-Cycles Booth?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Noel and I are flying out tomorrow, where he and I will arm wrestle during the 12 hour flight to determine which model will get flipped into carbon first.

Be sure to 'like' us on Facebook and Instagram for exclusive top secret spy photos taken from my iphone of all the secret carbon CX bikes we are unveiling at the show. Should be fun!
    Have fun fellas, looking forward to seeing the surprises in store. Hope all goes well over there.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Delirious Tuck
    Stacks of money heating up...

mtbr member
    Are you guys planning on being at Interbike (Outdoor Demo) or Outerbike too?

Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    CONTAGION I like it. It emotes a feeling of fear, which you want to instill in others if you're racing. It's memorable (aka "catchy" if you want to be punny). It offers a lot marketing options.

...and, it makes non-believers, like Herzalot, happy.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    Are you at the Tri-Cycles Booth?

Yup!
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Five5hot

We the people ...

Hmmm.... Definition of Contagion: a disease spread by the close contact of one person to another.

Not sure I'd like to ride a disease... Just sayin'

They named the Chilcotin after a mountain region. Mount Fromme and Cypress Mountain are other popular spots in the North Shore. A Knolly Cypress sounds pretty cool to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeBokeh View Post
    Hmmm.... Definition of Contagion: a disease spread by the close contact of one person to another.

They named the Chilcotin after a mountain region. Mount Fromme and Cypress Mountain are other popular spots in the North Shore. A Knolly Cypress sounds pretty cool to me.
    the knolly cypress...really really like this..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

when your there try to get a chat with Olivier Bossard... Bos Engineering Suspensions

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If one is going to name the bike After an iconic shore trail I would go with: 7th Secret.
    That one epitomizes the climbing and descending many know and love....and a perfect expression of combining 4 by with carbon.

Five5hot
    Knolly Buckley

game over!

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeBokeh View Post

Contagion goes along with the first gen of Noel's bikes...V-tach, Delirium-t, Free radical. Look them up

banned
    Feb 2012
    Just give us a 150mm 650b ripper and we won't care about its name.

mtbr member
    it-s interesting how different people think about novelties. in germany most of the riders complain about the fact that many, many manufacturers switch from 26 to 650b or even 29er. they fear that (and it seems mostly so) that 26 is on a way of distinction.
    reading these posts, you guys are open to the new stuff and even demand it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm with the Germans. No 650b for me, it doesn't ride any better and the loss in travel isn't worth it. keep making 26" chilcotins

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alfredo View Post
    it-s interesting how different people think about novelties. in germany most of the riders complain about the fact that many, many manufacturers switch from 26 to 650b or even 29er. they fear that (and it seems mostly so) that 26 is on a way of distinction.
    reading these posts, you guys are open to the new stuff and even demand it.
    I am not interested in 650B. At first, I thought it was cool another wheel size and we would slowly see new offerings - test the waters. Basically how the 29er evolved. However, the 650B juggernaut has eliminated any interest for me. Any company that focuses solely on 650B has loss my business.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I am not interested in 650B. At first, I thought it was cool another wheel size and we would slowly see new offerings - test the waters. Basically how the 29er evolved. However, the 650B juggernaut has eliminated any interest for me. Any company that focuses solely on 650B has loss my business.
    I like my Chili and Endo and have no intentions of replacing them. I'm hoping the 650 revolution doesn't limit my 26" options. However, if Knolly makes a 150 650B bike, it will be a very profitable venture for the company. For those people who are looking for that "one" bike, this would be killer. I believe this type of bike will open Knolly up to a much larger customer base. My guess is it will fit very nicely between the Chili and Endo, maybe leaning more toward Chili.

2 bikes are always better than one, and I don't think the 26" Knollys will go anywhere.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    i hope that knolly won't be one of the co's that stops producing 26's.
    but i think that a the news you're preparing will be such a 650b...
    btw. are you planning to offer a short travel trail-/cc-bike? something in the range of 110-120mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I like my Chili and Endo and have no intentions of replacing them. I'm hoping the 650 revolution doesn't limit my 26" options. However, if Knolly makes a 150 650B bike, it will be a very profitable venture for the company. For those people who are looking for that "one" bike, this would be killer. I believe this type of bike will open Knolly up to a much larger customer base. My guess is it will fit very nicely between the Chili and Endo, maybe leaning more toward Chili.

2 bikes are always better than one, and I don't think the 26" Knollys will go anywhere.
    I 100% agree with you - good points. Yes, add a 650B to the line-up and this style will be good for various folks with certain frames. I get it. Based on the wave, you better jump on board - it is good business and now required business.

My concern is the fork companies, etc not making 26 inch products. If a company doesn't want to make 26 inch bikes anymore that is fine. My issue is new products for example Marz - no 26 forks, Raceface no 26 in wheel. If this continues we won't have a choice. Granted we still have lots of choice and I am not overly worried, but it does raise concern. My hope is that 26 choice remains. Then everyone can pick which bike they like and their reasons, and we can all argue about which one is better online

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post

I have to agree with this. I'm very happy with my spread of Chili and Endo. Different builds, different purposes, 5 pounds difference, no compromises on either. However if I only wanted a single bike, I think a 650b 150mm frame, something right smack in the middle of the Chili and Endo, would probably be the ticket.

I doubt 26" wheels are going anywhere anytime soon. Way too many frames and bikes out there that are 26", so parts will have to continue to be available. You might not see too many 26" completes from the bigger companies however, that I can see happening.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Five5hot
    650b is inevitable right, unless it stays in prototype mode for more testing?

this was discussed almost a year ago in another thread for interbike. Dusty even shows a sneak peak of a Knolly with a 650b tire and also a Knolly with "Endorphin 650b" decal on the seatstays. Anybody have news from the private unveil at Interbike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    compare to 26..... 650b.. heavier forks, wheels, tyres that are more expensive. there are no spare second hand parts for sale.

when blind tested against 26 most people haven't been able to tell the difference.

this is why I gave it up and bought a 26 inch endo frame just a week ago...I just couldn't justify 650b. according to pinkbike more than 80% of the market is riding 26' wheels and are happy with them, no manufacturer in their right mind will stop making 26' forks, wheels and tyres in the foreseeable future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I have to agree with this. I'm very happy with my spread of Chili and Endo. Different builds, different purposes, 5 pounds difference, no compromises on either. However if I only wanted a single bike, I think a 650b 150mm frame, something right smack in the middle of the Chili and Endo, would probably be the ticket.
    Agree.

I am not against 650b, but I am surprised how quickly things are headed in that direction. It seems like most companies don't want to be left in the dust this time. There is no way that proper testing has been done on all these new models. While 650b seemed to start as rider driven, the bike companies have definitely made it there own. The 26" market has become very stagnant and I can only imagine that we will all lose big when trying to sell in the used market. On the other hand, if you are looking to buy 26" in the used market you will probably get a smokin deal.

My next bike purchase will be based on geometry, travel and quality, not wheel size. Although at this point it looks like 650b might be the only choice.

I have contemplated buying a PIKE for my Endo but I am worried my $800 purchase will be worth nothing buy the end of the year. I have even thought of buying a 27.5 PIKE and running my 26" wheels.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what Knolly has on tap for Eurobike. Hope it is another good year for them.

TG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post

My next bike purchase will be based on geometry, travel and quality, not wheel size. Although at this point it looks like 650b might be the only choice.

TG
    That's the interesting thing, the 27.5 geometry is actually pretty - many mimic Knolly's geometry (ie little longer, while maintaining shortish chainstays). I personally feel that many folks will attribute the geometry to the wheel size. I feel this may be the biggest downfall of the 26er - better geometry on the 27.5. I feel without the 27.5 the geometry was getting there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    if you are looking to buy 26" in the used market you will probably get a smokin deal.
    ...this is what im banking on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    are you going to reveal a new bike(s) at eurobike?

mtbr member
    That's the interesting thing, the 27.5 geometry is actually pretty - many mimic Knolly's geometry (ie little longer, while maintaining shortish chainstays). I personally feel that many folks will attribute the geometry to the wheel size. I feel this may be the biggest downfall of the 26er - better geometry on the 27.5. I feel without the 27.5 the geometry was getting there.
    Great point.

There was an interesting interview with Pivot's Chris Cocalis (sp), in which he mentioned how the 26" geometry is at a pinnacle right now. It has taken the 29ers a while to figure it out and they still have a ways to go. Now we have 27.5 thrown on the table. Obviously they have learned a lot from the past and 27.5 will progress quickly, but I am sure there a lot of people that would be just as happy with a modern 26" bike.

I wonder how many guys have been riding 29ers for the last 3-5 years, wrote off 26ers, and have now switched to 27.5 and love it. Would the switch to a current 26" be just as good?

Interview: Chris Cocalis of Pivot Cycles Part 1 | Flow Mountain Bike

Interview: Chris Cocalis of Pivot Cycles, Part 2 | Flow Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Funny you should mention this. My Endorphin now gets about 90% ride time over the Chilcotin. Occasionally, when riding the Endorphin on a fast and rough section of trail, I do wish I was on the Chilcotin. However, when it boils down to it, the playful and precise nature of the Endorphin wins over the Chilly's bump smoothing travel for me. I feel like a kid again on the Endorphin.

If Knolly does a 27.5" bike that falls between the two while retaining the playful feel of the Endorphin...I would seriously consider it. Adjustable geo and routing for a stealth dropper would be icing on the cake.

If Knolly does not offer such a bike? I am quite happy to continue riding the Endorphin.

Have fun at Eurobike!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    compare to 26..... 650b.. heavier forks, wheels, tyres that are more expensive. there are no spare second hand parts for sale.

when blind tested against 26 most people haven't been able to tell the difference.

this is why I gave it up and bought a 26 inch endo frame just a week ago...I just couldn't justify 650b. according to pinkbike more than 80% of the market is riding 26' wheels and are happy with them, no manufacturer in their right mind will stop making 26' forks, wheels and tyres in the foreseeable future.
    i completely agree. it seems 650b is the new way for manufacturers to get the 26" rider who never bought the 29" hype to buy a new bike. I still think rider skill trumps wheel size in almost all situations. i think 29" has its place for 6' plus riders, but i see no definitive or quantifiable advantage for 650b over 26". but if it gets the 26" rider to buy a new frame, fork and wheels, then i guess it's doing its thing for the bike industry. I'll save my money and look for deals on 26" and be quite happy.

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    i completely agree. it seems 650b is the new way for manufacturers to get the 26" rider who never bought the 29" hype to buy a new bike. I still think rider skill trumps wheel size in almost all situations. i think 29" has its place for 6' plus riders, but i see no definitive or quantifiable advantage for 650b over 26". but if it gets the 26" rider to buy a new frame, fork and wheels, then i guess it's doing its thing for the bike industry. I'll save my money and look for deals on 26" and be quite happy.
    For some odd reason this always bothers me.....I'm 6'7" and have tried multiple 29ers and my complaints about them are the same as someone who is 5'7". The Geo does not all of a sudden change based on a riders height......now my center of gravity might be a little different, and yeah I have to have a bigger bike, but wheel size does not somehow become more playful and fun when you get taller. If that was the case then at my height I need a 36er.......
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemlows View Post
    For some odd reason this always bothers me.....I'm 6'7" and have tried multiple 29ers and my complaints about them are the same as someone who is 5'7". The Geo does not all of a sudden change based on a riders height......now my center of gravity might be a little different, and yeah I have to have a bigger bike, but wheel size does not somehow become more playful and fun when you get taller. If that was the case then at my height I need a 36er.......
    Lol. I really just meant in the proportion department. Xl and xxl 26" bikes just look goofy to me. Banshee seems to have the am 29er pretty close to dialled with the prime. And I do think for people less than 6' 29er frames are not really ideal size wise. The mediums fit like large 26ers and the smalls aren't really small

mtbr member
    I 100% agree with you - good points. Yes, add a 650B to the line-up and this style will be good for various folks with certain frames. I get it. Based on the wave, you better jump on board - it is good business and now required business.

My concern is the fork companies, etc not making 26 inch products. If a company doesn't want to make 26 inch bikes anymore that is fine. My issue is new products for example Marz - no 26 forks, Raceface no 26 in wheel. If this continues we won't have a choice. Granted we still have lots of choice and I am not overly worried, but it does raise concern. My hope is that 26 choice remains. Then everyone can pick which bike they like and their reasons, and we can all argue about which one is better online
    i think that within 2-3 years only 2 of the sizes will survive. one of them being 29er. the difference between 26 and 650b is too marginal to give both a market. what raises concerns is that bike co's may leave no option and want to push the 650b by all means.
    nevertehless spareparts will be available for a longer time, as there are still to many 26s around.

banned
    Feb 2012
    I bet it would take just one good ride on the new Warden to get most of you sold on 650b.

TSC
    Buehliever
    My guess is that a lot of fork manufacturers will just raise the crown up and make a 26er/650b fork. Example

Marzocchi 2014 380 C2R2 Titanium – Highlights
    Wheel size: compatible with both 26-inch and 650b wheels
    Side note: a very knowledgeable mountain bike suspension tuner who I have dealt with regularly has expressed some dismay about mountain bikers being so fixated on fork side-to-side rigidity (not to be confused with the fork tubes flexing). In his opinion it just sends more undesired shock/vibration to the rider; and it also prevents the adoption of inverted forks (like X-fusion). Inverted forks can greatly decrease the un-sprung weight, which allows for better suspension performance (less inertia to fight).

Edit: I used the example X-fusion's inverted fork seen here: 2015 X-Fusion Inverted All Mountain Suspension Fork. It has not yet made it to market. Hopefully it will and it will be a success.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    I bet it would take just one good ride on the new Warden to get most of you sold on 650b.
    Yeah since it will pretty much handle like a 26 bike?