Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Knollfest Summer 2014 - Knolliscious Karavan of Shred --DATE CONFIRMATION thread

.................................................. .....................................

*****FRIDAY AUGUST 1ST TO SUNDAY AUGUST 10TH*****
    .................................................. .....................................

< SEE 4/29/14 UPDATED SCHEDULE>

Ok folks.

Several people have been asking me about a confirmation of dates. That is what this thread is about. But first some history.

Knollfest 'The Original' was an impromptu event that sprang up out of the blue here on MTBR. It was basically some of us board members getting together and deciding quickly on dates. Then the whole thing was organized by TiSS'r. See ( Phoenix Knollfest for how it all came together)

The entire event was a huge success: Knollfest: The Complete Story

After the Phoenix Knollfest (the Original) there was a lot of talk about doing it sometime in the summer. Locations were discussed and ranged from Moab to the Northeast, and the PNW. We mostly agreed that the PNW was the place to be due to the terrain, lack of rain, cooler temps (than the SW), and locals that could help lead. However, it never happened.

Fast forward to 2013. Everyone that went to the Phoenix Knollfest, and all those who wanted to go but couldn't immediately started to think about dates. And again TiSS'r put it all together. In an amazing feat of triumph made it actually better than the previous Knollfest, which most of us thought could not be accomplished. The summary thread is here: Knollfest 2013 - EXTREME! Edition, in case you have been living in a cave in the antarctic.

So this is the proposal. We will not have a home base like Phoenix for the first Knollfest. And we will not do 1 day in another distant locale (Sedona) in the last Knollfest 2013, but be mostly based in one area. For "Knollfest Summer 2014 Karavan of Shred" we will be a wandering Gypsy Karavan that samples several local ride spots in the PNW. We will Start and End in SEATTLE, Washington. However, the majority of the trip will be in Canada. The proposition is 2-3 days in Washington and 4-5 days in Canada. There are lots of options for Canada. And no matter what we do the Canada part will be epic as there is such good riding.

What this thread is about is confirmation of the dates. I am putting out there Dates of August 1st to August 10th (as noted on page 3-4 of the Knollfest: Extreme thread).
    The reason these dates are chosen is that is seems to avoid the amateur race schedule, and the tail end of it correlates with Whistler Crankworx which means trails will be a little less crowded outside of Whistler, and if people have longer vacation, then they can stay at Whistler a day or two. As a benefit, the UCI DHI World Cup races in Canada and USA are Aug 2-3rd and Aug 9-10th, which means we can stream those and have some CAN-USA Heckling over brews and single malt.

Tentative Schedule v.3 UPDATED 4/29/14:

-Travel days on the weekend (fly in Fri Night, fly out Sun night).
    -Drive time only about 2 hrs, destination to destination each leg of the journey.

8/1/14: Friday - Fly in to Seattle, or drive to Seattle (from BC, B'Ham etc)

8/2/14: Saturday- Seattle: I-90 exits: AM Shuttle, lunch in North Bend, PM @20's for those who are interested. (no shuttle). Stay in NB/Seattle with locals, or rent cabin. (Ride Leaders: RDH/Mutton/Knation crew)

8/3/14: Sunday 9:00am drive to Bellingham
    2 locations in Bellingham approx 10am-1pm, and 4pm-7pm. Galby/Chuckanut/other (ride leader EBxtreme)

8/4/14: Monday Leave Bellingham 9am. Lunch in BC possible North Shore riding ("rest day" for most people). If Shore will sample selected trails Fromme/Seymour etc/EB) Meet up with Canadians who couldn't make it down, Warden demos possible (Pfarrel announces new secret color)

8/5/14 to 8/6/14: Tuesday/Wednesday. All Squamish, All the time. After a half day of rest (or a full day for some) will slay as many trails in Squamish as possible. I will need to rely on others, or some serious scouting efforts (!!!) to arrange these two days. (Still looking for committed folks to help plan this part). This will be the longest day of the trip. We leave after dinner in the evening and drive to Pemberton (past Whistler)

8/7/14: Thursday Pemberton

8/8/14: Friday Leave Pemberton in AM, drive to Whistler. Mix of riding and partying aka "rest day"

8/9/14: Saturday Whistler Full day riding. Some folks might leave early Sun morning to miss Squamish Music Fest traffic and catch flights.

8/10/14: Sunday. Folks leave Canada. Final fairwells. Catch flights in Vancouver or drive back to Seattle. People catching flights will need to tell me their flight info, Ill put it in a TiSS'r style spreadsheet and help get people home.

------------------------------------------------------old info below---------------------------------------------------------------
    Options include: Coast Gravity Park, Vancouver Island (Vikb), Chilcotin Adventure multi-day, heli-drops, Island hopping (e.g. Orcas Is --> Victoria/Vancouver Is --> Coast Gravity Park --> Cypress/Fromme/Seymour--> etc)

The important part is that we agree on some days, and then I get get local folks to agree to be ride leader for 1-2 days. I will do the logistics of getting people from one place to another.

Post below if you can:
    1. make those dates
    2. be a possible ride leader (mention location)
    3. Offer to drive bikes and bodies (which sections?) (if needed a Truck rental may be provided for you, like the last Phoenix trip)
    4. Offer a roof to host bikes and bodies under.
    5. have any hook-ups or other suggestions

Let's do this!

*****FRIDAY AUGUST 1ST TO SUNDAY AUGUST 10TH*****
    Last edited by rdhfreethought; 04-30-2014 at 01:17 AM.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

mtbr member
    1. Yes I can make those dates
    2. I can be a possible RL for Sat/Sun in Seattle
    3. I can drive 4 bikes and bodies with my FJ, possible drive a rental truck if needed
    4. I have roof in Seattle and can host folks, and pick people up from the airport. I will have 1 bed a couch, and floor space. Plenty of room for bikes in the basement.
    5. I haven't hooked up since Whistler last summer....oh, you mean bike-related hook-up....I'll keep you posted (Warden? demos? Team riders?)

Bnerd
    Sweet!
    I've looked on in envy at the two past Knollfests in Phoenix and now I can attend one that will be happening in my backyard!

All of my yesses are contingent on my summer work schedule and childcare availability.

1. Yes to Fri Sat and Sun for Pemby and Whistler.

2. A possible yes to RL for Pemby and a yes to RL in Whistler for riding outside of the bike park. I'll put in a tentative yes for being a RL in the WBP but, really, is that needed?

3. I'm in Whistler and have a vehicle but it isn't a "real" shuttle vehicle. I have room for 1 body and bike for sure and the possibility of 2 more with a trunk rack. If there's 4 of us in the car then I will be limited to what dirt roads I can access because of the weight.

4. All I can offer is a very weak maybe.

5. I'll have a ask around to see what kind of deals I can get for accommodations in Whistler. And, I can find out about WBP ticket deals.

Looking forward to seeing this happen!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Really hoping my back is healed by then.

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking charge and getting the ball rolling Ralph. This should be epic good times.

1) I am putting those dates on the calendar (They work OK for me. August can be a busy time at work but early August is better than late August).

2) I will be a ride follower.
    3) If I drive up (likely) I'll have space for up to three riders and bikes to haul around to the various ride destinations (although space for suitcases and bike gear is somewhat limited). If I fly up, I'll need some help getting around unless some folks want to go in on a SUV/Van rental.
    4) I have no roof to offer but would be appreciative of any that are offered (floor space is fine with me).
    5) I don't have any hook ups unless I can swing something through Whistler Tourism/Whistler Blackcomb based on my skimpy "mtbr writer/reporter" credentials like I did last year. It's peak season so that may be a bit tougher.

I'm going to try really hard to make this. Ever since I went for the first time last year I've wanted to go back, and I can't think of a better group/opportunity to make it happen.

mtbr member
    I'm not able to commit 100% due to a new job situation, but my general plan would be:

- 2 Aug [Sat] ride Squamish or the shore with some friends
    - 3 Aug [Sun] meet you guys in Bellingham [can grab folks from Vancouver on the way through]
    - 4 Aug [Mon] ride the shore with you
    - 5 Aug [Tues] ride Squamish with you

=== head back to work ===

- 9 & 10 Aug [Sat & Sun] host anyone who wants to ride Vancouver Island

If I can swing more time I will, but I better not get greedy!

For the time I am with you I have a F150 with a lockable contractor's cap. I can carry 4 people and their bikes and luggage with me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    1) those dates are fine, count me in

Coast Gravity Park is got to be a must..
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    is anyone bring there podium only. thats the only knolly I have as of now
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

si vis pacem...
    Argh. You guys have picked the one of the two weeks all summer that I can't do - we (me and Vangor 44) are already booked in for Summer Gravity Camp that week. (Aug. 2 - 9) The good news is that we will already be in Whistler, so if anyone is interested in coming up and busting out some bike park laps in the evenings, let me know! Put those Podiums to work! (and I've even seen a few Chilis up there in the park, so don't let that hold you back)

I'll have to see what the schedule for SGC is going to look like for 2014 - this year they coached the groups right up until the end of the last day, but in 2013 the Saturday was a bit of a free-for-all, and if they do that again then that might free us up to come ride with the Knollfest crew.

Is there still going to be a Knollfest south in 2014, or is this it?

mtbr member
    Sounds like a blast! It is on the calender, but current job situation may affect ability to be there.

1. I would be interested in Seattle to Squamish. Maybe Pemberton. WBP doubtful.
    2. I know Oregon trails but not N. Washington...
    3. Willing to drive. (crew cab truck with canopy) Can comfortably fit 4 in truck / 3 bikes in back. If someone has a 2" hitch rack then bike count could go up.
    4. Can't help there
    5. The only place I have ridden near Seattle is Duthie in Issaquah. Duthie is small and fun for a few hours of riding, but may not quite match the other options available.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Excellent responses guys. Thanks for all the offers to drive. This will be a logistical endeavor for sure. If needed, I will rent a Full Size truck. We fit 7 Chilcotins on the tailgate without too much of a squeeze, in Phoenix. If that is the case, my 4 bike NorthShore rack will work for those people that drive trucks and have a hitch.

-I will probably bring 2 bikes - Podium and Chilcotin - (maybe Warden, waiting to see if Pfarrel red comes out!). Bring what you got. Certainly, some of these trails on the way down will be more suited to a Podium, but I think the Chilcotin is such the great all-rounder that it would be the bike of choice. There will likely be some shuttling. Nothing we ride will be outside the capability of the Chilcotin. The podium will certainly work if you pedal well, but you may want to run a 30T or 32T chainring and a normal size rear cog.

-Winter Knollfest has not been determined yet, it will possibly not be in Phoenix like the last 2 years. I think 2 per year, on a rotating location basis will be great. But lets focus on Summer Knollfest first

So far:
    1. Rideverything - 3 days CAN
    2. KRob - all
    3. vikb - 3+ days N.WA and CAN
    4. cfrench - all
    5. thegromit - which days for you?
    6. Parabellum - WBP only
    7. Bubba13 - 4-5 days WA/CAN
    8. EBxtreme - 2-4 days RL B'ham, ?Fromme, ?Squamish
    9. Muttonchops - pending
    10. TiSS'r - pending
    11. RBD - All
    12. rscecil - All
    13. dirtbag - All
    14. Couchsurfer - 2-3 days CAN, avail to shuttle
    15. 006_007 - 2-3 days CAN avail to shuttle
    16. Big B - 3 days, mostly WA, CAN tbd

Maybe:
    1. B Gillespie -depends on injury (healing vibes and healthy rehab to you!)
    2. Pfarrell - pending
    3. AndyD - pending work
    4. lilknollypunk - pending slave labor for Dusty
    5. Norton55 - pending logistics bham
    6. Calhoun - tentative yes, may be driving up
    6. Friar Tuck +1 - tentative yes

others: GAIR, Skins, Woodyak, Parabellum, wilks, lvridn, norton55.....where you guys at, better not be skiing!

It's starting to look like a crew, keep em coming!
    Last edited by rdhfreethought; 12-29-2013 at 12:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Two year lurker and Seattle area OG with a chili. I'd love to make this work, but I'll have to see where work is at as it gets closer. At the very least if anyone has a 2" hitch and wants to throw a Northshore 6 bike (my kids and their friends used to ride with me...) on a rig I'm more than happy to loan it out if I can't make it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    wouldnt beable to get august off to busy,, but june or september ill be there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, I am a maybe. I just printed out my "application for criminal rehabilitation" that would hopefully allow me into Canada. Also depends on my work as well but I am going to do everything I can to try and make it.
    If I do make it, I'll be driving and will have room to haul bikes and people in the Sprinter. I won't need a roof, just a parking spot. I won't be leading any rides, just trying to keep up.
    I'll be bringing my Chilly and Red Warden (Thanks Noel) for sure, and I have a hitch that would be great for pulling a trailer full of demos for the event...just saying!

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    Again, this event sounds fabulous. I have a niece in B'ham that I might be able to stay with. I'm still trying to workout the logistics.

mtbr member
    This sounds incredible! After returning home from AZ with a huge smile and lots of stories my wife informed me last evening that I need to join you guys again!

1. I am good for the entire event
    2. I will be a pure follower
    3. I would be more than happy to go in on a rental and drive us around.
    4. I'll be flying in from Toronto so can't help here. Happy to share hotel rooms though if needed.
    5. Just you lads!

Thanks for taking the horns on this Ralph!
    Cheers,
    Ryan

Just roll it......
    Something to consider for anyone traveling from further distance is this is a good excuse to turn it into a full blown vacation and have the wives meet up for some quality time in Whistler AFTER the Knollfest and catch some of Crankworx too. Lots of trailbike worthy riding and then you can hang at the lakes or watch some events while your there.

1. Yes, but most likely only for 2-4 days (will have an infant and a toddler next summer)
    2. I can either help lead on the Shore (Fromme, I'm guessing) and Squamish. Obviosuly, I definitely lead a tour of the goodies in B'ham. Also for Whistler if I can make it.
    3. I can drive folks around when I am joining and can fit 6 bodies and bikes in my Eurovan.
    4. I can "most likely" house people in Bellingham, but I will have to see what the baby situation is by then.
    5. I'm sure I can figure stuff out (as needed) for any folks staying in Bellingham.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    1. Yes, but most likely only for 2-4 days (will have an infant and a toddler next summer)
    is this official?!

Knomer
    Dec 2013
    Got to talk to the bosses on this one! Make sure I cant get away from important duties on getting you guys all these bikes! But you can say pending for me. We will see if Dusty will want to head up!
    Knolly USA Warehouse
    City of Angels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    is this official?!
    I think the question is...can we talk CBX into coming along with us, maybe relaxing in Whistler with the younglings, while EBX comes along with us...or vice versa

Just roll it......
    haha, I think we'll both be ready for a vacation by then! Yes, it's official FM....May!

EB

mtbr member
    Sorry, down in Florida doing the family Christmas thing.

Being local, I'll def be in for as much as possible. I can't see why I couldn't do the whole week of activities, but hard to commit this far out as I'm looking for a new job, so if that happens not sure how much flexibility I'd have.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mr. wonderful

Knollfest Summer 2014 - Knolliscious Karavan of Shred --DATE CONFIRMATION thread

Sounds like a blast! I could be in for the whole shebang.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    haha, i think we'll both be ready for a vacation by then! Yes, it's official fm....may!

Eb
    holy $hit!
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Cool stuff. Don't know yet if I can hit the whole thing, but I can join for a few of the days. Also, I live at the base of Seymour, have an F-150 and would be happy to use it for shuttling Seymour or Cypress. (Or maybe Squamish...).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast