Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Knollfest LITE

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  tiSS'er 
#1 ·
Today, RJ, Javi and myself gave Luca the Kiwanis/Holbert tour. We were hit with some pretty good rain last night, and it was a bit drizzly today, creating some very interesting riding conditions. Hero sand, not so much on the granite. We came out safely. Great ride. I am going to try to make some nice animated GIFs.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
South Mountain was a blast as usual. The weather made me feel right at home! Thanks to Brandon, RJ, and Javi for being gracious hosts; always great to have a chance to ride with you guys. Holbert was a hoot, I am looking forward to taking another run down it now that I know what to expect.

The Chilcotin truly shined on South Mountain. This is the kind of terrain this bike was designed for. This was also the first ride with the new high-flow air canister on the CCDB Air and it felt quite a bit more open than the old one. I was able to run more low-speed compression that I used to, the bike pedaled better and it used travel more effectively. Overall it was a very worthwhile improvement.

Wilks, the trails here are generally more stair steppy than Ringwood both uphill and downhill and they really get the most out of the 4x4 suspension. Ringwood is choppy but it doesn't have two foot deep holes the whole ride down. A month ago or so I rode the whole Ringwood to Pompton Lakes point-to-point ride on the Chilcotin and it was fun but to be honest for those trails the Chilcotin is way too much bike and an Endorphin or similar bike would feel quite a bit zippier.

Here are a few of the shots I took today:

#7 · (Edited)
Knollifest Micro!

Tiss'er and Nybike these pictures really show how ledgey and chunky the trails can be!

Which trails are these. I Plan on going down in January with a buddy whose riden
SoMo before, so I want to (I think..gulp!) hit that trail.

I Better start training or running stairs or something.:p

#8 ·
Tiss'er and Nybike these pictures really show how ledgey and chunky the trails can be!

Which trails are these. I Plan on going down in January with a buddy whose riden
SoMo before, so I want to (I think..gulp!) hit that trail.

I Better start training or running stairs or something.:p
We went up Kiwanis and down Holbert. Both trails are on the North side of South Mountain.

#11 ·
Luca decided to hang out and ride with us again today. We hit up Viejo, AKA "Little Goat Camp", since he had not done it yet. Typically, this trail is very loose, and you skate as much as you ride. Yesterday, we had a really nice soaking rain, which created some incredible trail conditions today. Viejo was easily in the best condition I can remember in years. You could actually choose a line, and brakes functioned well today too.

#19 ·
Fantastic looking shots. The subdued lighting and moisture on the rock really brings out the chunkiness in the pictures. You guys are soooo fortunate to have this in your backyard. I'd love to take another whack(or several dozen whacks actually) at Kiwannis on fresh legs.

Haven't done Viejo in forever. Looks like it was a perfect day. The rains even knocked down the smog that was creeping in when we were there last weekend.

#21 ·
Kent,

Saturday was really a great day. The rocks were rather slippery, I'm not sure if it was the tires I am running or if others were experiencing the same thing. Certainly adds a bit excitement.

Hopefully next time you are here you will be rockin' a Chili, we can spend some time sessioning Kiwanis. Too much fun to just blast up it.

#25 ·
After leaving Phoenix, I spent a few days riding in Sedona. The cloudy weather gave great opportunities for photography. I posted some of the images in this thread.

On my last morning in Phoenix, before packing up the bike, the sun was shining again and I went out to South Mountain for one last run down Geronimo thanks to Gnar Gnar Tours shuttle Wednesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.