Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Thunder View Post
    Good times with good people! I only got to join for the Friday afternoon ride on Kiwanis/Holbert, but it was definitely a fun crew. I managed to twist my ankle on a short ride on Saturday, and my grapefruit-like ankle the next morning suggested that National would probably not be in the cards for Sunday. Bummer.

I will also say that this was one of the purest concentrations of bike geekery I've yet experienced, intense enough to kill mere mortal men. Luckily, we had all clearly spent many years building up an immunity.
    That's good wordmanship there, John. Laughed out loud when I read this, but so true. I spent a whole paragraph trying to explain the same thing and you nailed it in one sentence. Nice work.

And it was good meeting you. Thanks for the tutorial and company while climbing Kiwanis. Sorry to hear about the twisted ankle and sorry you didn't get to join us for more of the gathering.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-11-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    I much prefer steep setting for all of our riding, There is nothing here where the slack setting provides enough of an advantage for me to justify changing it. Having the extra BB height and pedal clearance is useful.

I think most people were running in the steep setting
    I goofed on this. I always ride in 66, as was the case on Friday and Saturday. I also ride with a 38/26 ring combo and skid guard beneath that. All of this made for low ground clearance on a few sections(namely the entry to spiral staircase), which played on my confidence a bit. I made it thru jackhammer, but just barely.

I switched it to 67 mode on Sunday and felt much more confident with the clearance. Go figure. It's amazing what one little bolt and a half inch of clearance can do for you.

The first thing I did when I got home was order up a traditional bash to cover a smaller gear combo, 36/24, and I will try out the Ronnie Ring, to go with my XT clutch derailleur. All this should add up to a simplified drivetrain(ie: no actual chainguide), more ground clearance, and slightly easier low end gearing.

Oh ya, and a new rotor, from the just-below-jackhammer incident.

All things considered, I can easily see how a 32/22 might be the optimal combo for SoMo, for maximum ground clearance. Or perhaps a 1x system based around 32t for the stronger rider.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I goofed on this. I always ride in 66, as was the case on Friday and Saturday. I also ride with a 38/26 ring combo and skid guard beneath that. All of this made for low ground clearance on a few sections(namely the entry to spiral staircase), which played on my confidence a bit. I made it thru jackhammer, but just barely.

I switched it to 67 mode on Sunday and felt much more confident with the clearance. Go figure. It's amazing what one little bolt and a half inch of clearance can do for you.

The first thing I did when I got home was order up a traditional bash to cover a smaller gear combo, 36/24, and I will try out the+++ Ronnie Ring+++, to go with my XT clutch derailleur. All this should add up to a simplified drivetrain(ie: no actual chainguide), more ground clearance, and slightly easier low end gearing.

All things considered, I can easily see how a 32/22 might be the optimal combo for SoMo, for maximum ground clearance. Or perhaps a 1x system based around 32t for the stronger rider.
    so, what be a Ronnie Ring?
    breezy shade

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post

ronniering.com - Welcome
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knomer

ronniering.com - Welcome

This is made by one of the Phoenix locals & Chilcotin rider, Ronnie. All the Phoenix crew swear by them.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Knollician
    ronniering.com - Welcome

This is made by one of the Phoenix locals & Chilcotin rider, Ronnie. All the Phoenix crew swear by them.
    Ronnie is an amazing engineer/welder/fabricator that makes some of the most precise gadgets ever. He once made a sweet titanium emergency derailleur hanger that was held simply in the dropouts.

The Ronnie Ring simply bolts to the frame side of your granny ring, completely eliminating any chance your chain can drop. Everyone one here runs them, and I wouldn't be caught dead without it. Chain guides tend not to do well here as clearance is an issue.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knollician

The first thing I did when I got home was order up a traditional bash to cover a smaller gear combo, 36/24, and I will try out the Ronnie Ring, to go with my XT clutch derailleur. All this should add up to a simplified drivetrain(ie: no actual chainguide), more ground clearance, and slightly easier low end gearing.

I could tell you hanging up a bit on the lower section of GC, where it gets real chunky. Having a 38T ring with chainguide easily took away an 1" of clearance, not to mention the slack setting.

I really like the steep setting as the bike handles much like my older Endo, and I can compress the bike easier in the corners. I also feel more centered.

I run a 32/22 combo here, as most people do. Not many people are running single rings, certainly doable, but it would make some of the tech sections less enjoyable. I'm not sure I have the leg strength to run a single ring anyway.

When we were building bikes Thursday, the guys took a look at my bashring and wondered what happened to it. I think they get it now

IMG_0128
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 12-11-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Machacaman
    Looks like a blast. Missing the days with the BooCrew, all I am dealing with is minimal amounts of snow. Great job Brando.
    MachacaMan

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    All things considered, I can easily see how a 32/22 might be the optimal combo for SoMo, for maximum ground clearance
    That was my setup and was bashing into all sorts of stuff, often just bounding my way through. I could see how a larger ring could have been frustrating.

On a side, my worn Minion DHF super tacky on the rear worked spectacularly on and over that terrain.
    Nick

mtbr member
    I was regularly mashing my pedals against rocks even in steep mode, FWIW.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    Wow!
    This event is truely something special
    Thanks for sharing guys
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I was regularly mashing my pedals against rocks even in steep mode, FWIW.
    Just one more reason why I like clipless here.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Just one more reason why I like clipless here.
    ...and you can protect your bike in an OTB event!
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

MC MasterShake
    Finally getting around to posting up some pics. I don't know how to add captions to the photos so you'll have to think of your own witty remarks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0031.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0041.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0084.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0092.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0093.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0140.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0098.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0141.jpg  

Knollfest:  The Complete Story-img_0143.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great shots Bill. Thanks for posting those up. It was great meeting you.

Didn't anyone get any pictures of the Sunday somo ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow this looks like a ton of fun and I would love to join with my Chili...too bad I live on the east coast!

Giant Robot
    [QUOTE=Skins;PS: first words out of my 2-year old's mouth when he saw me in the light: "Daddy has an owwwwie!". Yes, daddy has lots of owwwwies. [/QUOTE]

I think even my 3 year old daughter has learned to mostly disregard my injuries. When she was younger she was look very concerned when she saw my "owwies." Sometimes the first thing she'd ask me when I got back from a ride was "Did you fall?" Now she seems only mildly interested in my bruises, etc., and usually just asks "Did you have a good ride, Dada?"
    "Dada, you have an Owwie"

Giant Robot
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    That's good wordmanship there, John. Laughed out loud when I read this, but so true. I spent a whole paragraph trying to explain the same thing and you nailed it in one sentence. Nice work.

And it was good meeting you. Thanks for the tutorial and company while climbing Kiwanis. Sorry to hear about the twisted ankle and sorry you didn't get to join us for more of the gathering.
    Thanks for the kind words, Kent! I enjoyed sessioning Kiwanis with you and Skins. The fact that you were giving the climbing on Kiwanis a go, even after climbing 24th street (and on a DT to boot!) says a lot about your abilities! Hopefully the next time I'm in Ely it'll be to ride rather than to repair two flat tires on my car...
    "Dada, you have an Owwie"

mtbr member
    My kids are a lot older so there used to me crashing.
    Now they just ask me if I need a ride to the hospital.

mtbr member
    This is Day 1. Sorry for the delay. Too much work. Should be able to get Day 2 and 3 in by the weekend.

Enjoy.

Knollfest 2012 Day 1 from RDHFreethought on Vimeo.

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

RideDirt
    nice and chunky off camber dusty trails lol love it !

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    This is Day 1. Sorry for the delay. Too much work. Should be able to get Day 2 and 3 in by the weekend.

Enjoy.

Knollfest 2012 Day 1 from RDHFreethought on Vimeo.

HELL YEAH! Nice music choice!

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Well done Ralph! Thanks for putting that together and sharing here. Love the music choice too...takes me back to sitting at tiSS'er's house, drinking beer, and pulling thorns out of my hands.

mtbr member
    Great job on the video, it really shows the type of terrain.

MC MasterShake
    was there any discussion of the preference for high angle/BB for SOMO? were people riding what they normally ride, whatever that was? w/ the Chilcotin's option, it'd be interesting to hear since everybody was riding exactly the same stuff.
    I'm probably alone in the continued preference of the slacker HA. I like the balance I get being lower to the ground and the xtra forgiveness to keep me from going OTB. I'm already used to bashing through rock gardens back at home so this wasn't much different.

I was running a 1x10 with 34 upfront and 36 back and it was fine. Sure I suffered on some of the climbs but I would've suffered no matter what gearing I had. Besides, I prefer torque over spin anyday.

I have a Trutativ (MRP G2 clone) chaine guide w/taco w/the bottom glider removed. I'm also running a Saint small cage der. w/clutch to keep that chain tight. This worked fine for me but if I rode this terrain all the time the taco would not last very long.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast