Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    RideDirt
    Wow that terrain looks amazing , sick photos , sick lines ! Man you guys killed it

mtbr member
    Day 2 Goat Camp. One of my favorite rides. Period.

Here's Lawrence the bearer of frozen Gatorades for all..... so we decided to overlook the fact that he was on a Transition.
    DSC01411

Still going up (this went on for a good long time but never got too onerous).
    DSC01416

DSC01418

DSC01426

Gearing up and rehydrating for the descent...... or is that some liquid courage you have there, Rory?
    DSC01428

Giant Robot

Good Times

Good times with good people! I only got to join for the Friday afternoon ride on Kiwanis/Holbert, but it was definitely a fun crew. I managed to twist my ankle on a short ride on Saturday, and my grapefruit-like ankle the next morning suggested that National would probably not be in the cards for Sunday. Bummer.

I will also say that this was one of the purest concentrations of bike geekery I've yet experienced, intense enough to kill mere mortal men. Luckily, we had all clearly spent many years building up an immunity.

The only remaining question is, what did Kevin do to receive a sweatshirt from the strip club on Baseline years ago?
    "Dada, you have an Owwie"

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Thunder View Post

The only remaining question is, what did Kevin do to receive a sweatshirt from the strip club on Baseline years ago?
    He only mentioned the sweatshirt?!!?

I think he actually wound up by the end of the wknd with a sweatshirt, towel, and gym bag or socks....can't remember the third item.

good times

PS: great pics! looking forward to seeing some video footage too! One of these years I need to make it back to Goat Camp.
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Yeah you better ditch that Spot. They were expressly forbidden on this gathering........

Well mostly.

Someone had to post it.
    HAHA, Thanks KRob. I guess I am lucky to have made it out of the canyon after this stunt....Goat Camp is a great place to dispose of a body!

mtbr member
    Man these pictures def show how good and challenging the riding is and what a good time everyone had. Really wish I had not had to fly to St Louis for work and could have made this.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR.COM
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to KRob again.
    Not like you need it Kent, but I tried.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    KRob:

First rider in your pics is Mark (White Chil) and second rider is Jim (Black Chil.)
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Stucco Bucket
    Rosy forgot his Jawbones on Day two it looks like. sweet pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post

What is a group of MTB'rs called? Flock, gaggle, pod, pride, pack, school, troop..
    That's a murder of mtbr's

mtbr member
    First I would like to thank Brandon and his family for the food and lodging.

Wow what a weekend! I had a time of my life riding all of those trails with you guys.
    I can’t believe that I made it down all of them with out any loss of blood.

Thanks to all of you for waiting for me to catch up. I promise I will be faster by the next Knollfest.
    Last edited by Rock dude; 12-10-2012 at 10:03 PM.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Brandon AKA tiSS'er rounds the first switchback on Cochise
    DSC01395
    If I saw a hard-core local pulling out the heavy armor for a descent I would crap my drawers; then start wondering if I should call 911 pre-descent, while I'm still able.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    If I saw a hard-core local pulling out the heavy armor for a descent I would crap my drawers; then start wondering if I should call 911 pre-descent, while I'm still able.
    I usually bring my full leg armor for Phoenix riding but didn't this time thinking that all the cool kids would just be rocking the knee pads..... then I remembered why. Not only is the Phoenix terrain hard on equipment, it tears up your skin too..... even if you don't fall. There's plenty of tight spots and cactus to tear up your lower legs.... and I've got the stripes to prove it from this trip.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock dude View Post
    I can’t believe that I made it down all of them with out any loss of blood.

Thanks to all of you for waiting for me to catch up. I promise I will be faster by the next Knollfest.
    Edit: I've added some more name/screen name tags in this post.

Nice meeting you Chuck. Way to hang in there. You showed some awesome perserverance.

Here's a few more pics from the GC descent.
    Dave/Muttonchops dropping in the slot on the Spiral Staircase. No one was allowed to try the "Girl's line" on this gathering. Not that Dave would've taken it anyway. He made all the toughest sections look silly easy. Very skilled rider. Nice meeting you Dave.
    DSC01431

We sesseioned here for about an hour and saw plenty of knobbies buzzing shorts on this steep section. This is Bill/Woodyak gettin' it done.
    DSC01435

RJ / Dirtbag dropping in....
    DSC01443

and rolling through. This shot gives some idea of the sudden elevation drop that occurs at the Staircase.
    DSC01442

Post ride 'bench racing' gathered around a puddle of knolly's. What could be better than that?
    Standing with his back to the camera: Kevin (Dusty Bottoms), then clockwise: Richard (Dirtbag), Bill (Woodyak), Pete (pfarrell), Ronnie (kneeling by the van door), Nick (Silent Bob), Jeff (Skins) hiding behind the bike rack, Tim with shirt off (G-Air)
    DSC01444

Maybe this. Just chilling around the pool with great guys basking in the post ride buzz. Great gathering guys. Thanks to all who attended and who contributed.
    Looks like Jeff and Tim chilaxin' here.
    DSC01446
    Last edited by KRob; 12-11-2012 at 02:53 PM.

TSC
    Buehliever
    I usually bring my full leg armor for Phoenix riding but didn't this time thinking that all the cool kids would just be rocking the knee pads..... then I remembered why. Not only is the Phoenix terrain hard on equipment, it tears up your skin too..... even if you don't fall. There's plenty of tight spots and cactus to tear up you lower legs.... and I've got the stripes to prove it from this trip.
    In one of your pics Muttonchop's shins look like they got up close & personal with several of the "friendly" desert rocks and plants.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Lots of awesome riding gentlemen. It looks like tons of fun but the pictures make me realize that I would have been the anchor. With "Ninja Dusty" pushing me I might have been able to keep up when climbing*, but my stretcher ride after the first obstacle would have totally slowed the group.

*No offense meant to your ninja pushing skills, Dusty. Just say'n it would be hard to push all this fat up all those hills.

Knollician
    Thanks for posting up some photos Krob. I have copied like 300 photos from Skins which I need to sort through and will certainly post in batches to keep the stoke alive.

This was the first event that I have organized/attended where the riders were so well matched. I still can't believe how quickly we blew out Goat Camp, even spending an hour sessioning the Spiral Staircase. It was great to see everyone cheering on the riders and providing guidance. I loved hearing the cheers as someone made it through the notch, and the jeers as they ended up sprawled out on the granite!

I hardly believe it is coincidence that 20 riders are all of the same skill set and level. We didn't have a single rider fall outside of the bell curve, which made the event that much better. It always seems like you develop small clicks when you have a group this size, but I never saw that. Everyone was having a great time.

When you can take that many people down goat Camp at that pace, and walk away with no injuries, that is a win.

Thanks again to all for joining us in the desert. I hope you enjoyed the rides, have some great memories, and hurt a little

If there are any other Knollicians out there that want to sample our terrain, look me up (Noel included ), I'll see what I can do to make you really appreciate your Knolly!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks tiSSer and everyone else. again, i'll say what already been said numerous times, great riding and even better bunch of dudes. the collective group's riding skills where amazing! After getting to the bottom of holbert on Friday afternoon, i just kept thinking to myself, "there is no way a group of 17 guys just rode THAT, that fast." mad skills boys!!! great riding with you all and look foward to more in the future.
    cheers,
    pete

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    Lots of awesome riding gentlemen. It looks like tons of fun but the pictures make me realize that I would have been the anchor. With "Ninja Dusty" pushing me I might have been able to keep up when climbing*, but my stretcher ride after the first obstacle would have totally slowed the group.

*No offense meant to your ninja pushing skills, Dusty. Just say'n it would be hard to push all this fat up all those hills.
    I ended up taking a detour and the "long" way up the Goat Camp climb, so I wasn't around to assist the group on that climb. Luckily, the trail re-merged with the correct route, so I "re-appeared".... much like a ninja.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    [QUOTE=KRob;9959069]Edit: I've added some more name/screen name tags in this post.

Hey Krob...thanks for the pics. I keep coming back to this thread to relive a little more of the weekend. New pics help!

That is me (Jeff) hiding behind the bike rack and Tim aka G-Air sitting shirtless. Dr. Thunder (John, right?) was our riding partner up Kiwanis and unfortunately was working Saturday.

Keep the pics, videos, and stories coming everyone!

Jeff

PS: first words out of my 2-year old's mouth when he saw me in the light: "Daddy has an owwwwie!". Yes, daddy has lots of owwwwies.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Skins;9960859]
    Edit: I've added some more name/screen name tags in this post.

Hey Krob...thanks for the pics. I keep coming back to this thread to relive a little more of the weekend. New pics help!

That is me (Jeff) hiding behind the bike rack and Tim aka G-Air sitting shirtless. Dr. Thunder (John, right?) was our riding partner up Kiwanis and unfortunately was working Saturday.

Keep the pics, videos, and stories coming everyone!

Jeff

PS: first words out of my 2-year old's mouth when he saw me in the light: "Daddy has an owwwwie!". Yes, daddy has lots of owwwwies.
    Thanks for the help with the names, Jeff. I was about to ask who claimed the G-Air screen name because I saw from a post of his that he was there but didn't think I had met him at the gathering (we really didn't share screen names much unless I asked).

Yes, John is the one we rode up Kiwanis with stopping to session several of the tricky spots. Nice guy. Excellent rider. So that's Dr.Thunder. I think I met him and Tim right about the same time in the BAPL so must've got their screen names confused.

I'll make corrections.

Bumps and bruises abound. My wife couldn't help but notice a huge raspberry/bruise on my left hip from my little OTB on GC. She's used to seeing me bloodied and bruised after rides like these though.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    I ended up taking a detour and the "long" way up the Goat Camp climb, so I wasn't around to assist the group on that climb. Luckily, the trail re-merged with the correct route, so I "re-appeared".... much like a ninja.
    No Ninja Dusty; WTF? Then my likely scenario: cardiac arrest going up and broken bones going down. No bueno!

Sad I missed it! (Truthfully.... I am sad. Even if I had to hike-a-bike up and down I love seeing talented people ride; and you all seem to be great people, not just great riders.)

I wonder if there is a mountain bike equivalent to this:

Edit: Found the mountain bike equivalent: ANGRY BEE RINGTONE | Chris King Precision Components

Side note: This is the opposite of what I need but thought it was funny.

Last edited by TSC; 12-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

geo setting?

was there any discussion of the preference for high angle/BB for SOMO? were people riding what they normally ride, whatever that was? w/ the Chilcotin's option, it'd be interesting to hear since everybody was riding exactly the same stuff.
    breezy shade

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    was there any discussion of the preference for high angle/BB for SOMO? were people riding what they normally ride, whatever that was? w/ the Chilcotin's option, it'd be interesting to hear since everybody was riding exactly the same stuff.
    I much prefer steep setting for all of our riding, There is nothing here where the slack setting provides enough of an advantage for me to justify changing it. Having the extra BB height and pedal clearance is useful.

I think most people were running in the steep setting
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    double post screwup
    breezy shade

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast