Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Knollfest 2014 PNW -- Stoke and Logistics thread

Holy Cow is all I can say. There is some serious riding planned for Aug 1st to Aug 10th. It comes second only to the insane amount of logistical complexity in trying to make this trip go smoothly. But no matter what happens this will be an awesome time.

(see also information threads: Knollfest Summer 2014 - Knolliscious Karavan of Shred --DATE CONFIRMATION thread)

The main timeline is unchanged:

Fri Aug 1st - arrive in Seattle. I pick people up from the airpot. (Please text me at five-o-nine 388-7075 or email at ralphdhavens@gmail for arrival pick-up confirmation)

Sat Aug 2nd - Epic first day. Ride Muttonchops trails of I-90. 3k+ elevation. Ride classic PNW trails, in the woods, down rock rollers, optional jump trails, stream crossing. Lodging/BBQ Sat night in North Bend at Mutton's place. Will need to bring foamies/mattresses etc

Sun Aug 3rd - B'ham. EB and locals trails. (I am still working on Lodging - TBA)

Mon Aug 4th - North Shore. Options will exist for the group. There is the possibility of a DH group, since many might bring Podiums. For those that do not, we will ride Warden/Chilcotin style trails. But Endo will be fine depending on rider skill

Tues Aug 5th Day 1 Squamish. North Van Knolly crew will help guide. There is a 2500+ climb, so bring your legs.

Wed Aug 6th Day 2 Squamish. Rest Day (for people like me) Ride location determined by interest/bike.

Thur Aug 7th ****WHISTLER**** (note new location)

Friday-Sat-Sun: Whistler bike park. The Whistler section will have options like the North Shore section. There will be people who want to ride the valley trails (awesome) on their 6-inch bikes. People who have DH bikes, and want to ride park, and people who may want to do both, but have the warden/chilly, and people who will be new to the group and can only make it up for WBP. Totally casual and you are free to do whatever you like. Since its a bike park, eh?
    ------------------------------

What I need from each of you.

I currently have 21 confirmed riders from the other thread. Many can make only a few days, and there are several that I expect will show, but have not confirmed yet. On a given day, I would expect anywhere from 10-12 riders to be the norm and 20+ riders for WBP.

There appear to be enough vehicles for WA state. There may be a need for more vehicles for CAN section. (006-007 and couchsurfer, check your pm's). If this is so, I have offers for people that can drive a rental truck for that leg. We have 3 drivers for 3 trucks, if that becomes necessary. Plus locals vehicles, I think we will have enough vehicle. Also, people have offered hitch racks sans vehicles, to add room for more bikes, at a last resort.

I need anyone that is on the fence, or newly committed, or has to drop out, PLEASE let me know now.

Lastly, since this is the stoke thread. Feel free to post up any picks. Here is a link to some of the riding by fellow Knomer Paul Gannon (and WA State Knolly Knation Racing member) in Pink bike today to start things off: Video: Deep Mountain Rumble with Paul Gannon - Pinkbike
    Last edited by rdhfreethought; 07-27-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa

Knollician
    Congrats on putting together a killer event, and thanks to all who are assisting. I wish I could be there, but I'll have to watch from the sidelines. Let the countdown begin!!!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knomer
    Dec 2013
    I will be joining in on the fun. I will be in North Vancouver from the 1st thru the 7th on work. So I will miss out on Washington but once you guys head North I will try to join in on much as I can. Last year in PHX was a blast and cat wait to hit the trails again with all you guys. Cant wait!
    Knolly USA Warehouse
    City of Angels

mtbr member
    Cool. It will be good to see you again. I'll also be joining the Karavan on Monday in North Van.

How about some more ride stoke photos? :0)

Squamish

SAM_0166

Just roll it......
    Bham - I can house 4-6 guys at my place and have clearance from my wife for a full day of riding. It will require some guys using couch and floor space in the mancave since we have a newborn who is up at all times of the night on our upper floor. I've got an inflatable bed, several therm-a-rests, etc. We also have plenty of parking.

We can do apres at my place with bbq and beers. Plus, get a cornhole tourney going, bonfire, etc.

I am planning to do the North Shore day as well, but won't be able to leave 'til 9:30'ish after getting my toddler to daycare.

Stoked!
    EB

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Bham - I can house 4-6 guys at my place and have clearance from my wife for a full day of riding. It will require some guys using couch and floor space in the mancave since we have a newborn who is up at all times of the night on our upper floor. I've got an inflatable bed, several therm-a-rests, etc. We also have plenty of parking.

We can do apres at my place with bbq and beers. Plus, get a cornhole tourney going, bonfire, etc.

I am planning to do the North Shore day as well, but won't be able to leave 'til 9:30'ish after getting my toddler to daycare.

Stoked!
    EB
    Congrats on the little one! Tonya was just asking me about that.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Yebo Numzaan

Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    Sat Aug 2nd - Epic first day. Ride Muttonchops trails of I-90. 3k+ elevation. Ride classic PNW trails, in the woods, down rock rollers, optional jump trails, stream crossing. Lodging/BBQ Sat night in North Bend at Mutton's place. Will need to bring foamies/mattresses etc
    Yo,

We have a couple options for this day and we will just see what turns out to be the best / most feasible. Definitely planning on a massive day with tons of stoke. There are pros and cons of each option and once i know who will be around for Day 1....can start a conversation to see what might be best.

I will borrow mattresses and things and I am sure we will be fine. No worries.

You will definitely need to bring your pedaling (hiking) legs...not much comes free in these parts...!!

old photos...

I am thinking some of this...

bit of this.....

and a little of this....

I support EMBA

mtbr member
    All that looks good mutton. realy good.

Here's a WBP vid from mikesee I like. There's no knolly's in the vid but hopefully we can keep the stoke going.

Yebo Numzaan
    [QUOTE=Muttonchops;11316232]Yo,

We have a couple options for this day...

or this...?

Video: RAW 1.2 With Bryn Atkinson - Pinkbike
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=Muttonchops;11323575]
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Yo,

We have a couple options for this day...

or this...?

Video: RAW 1.2 With Bryn Atkinson - Pinkbike
    what hub is that, I9? never heard a sound like that. didn't miss 'no music' .
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I think I'll bring the ol' VTach for the I-90 day. If we are riding what I think we are, it won't be overkill.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Wow, that looks and sounds incredible! Love RAW vids.

Stoked

si vis pacem...
    Awesome video. My I9s on my Podium are nowhere near that loud - the Hopes on my Chili are noticeably louder. Those sound like Chris Kings though.

Loud hubs rock. When someone if in front of me I like it to sound like there is a chainsaw chasing them down the trail.

mtbr member
    loud hubs rock. When someone if in front of me i like it to sound like there is a chainsaw chasing them down the trail.

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

stoke!

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I think I'll bring the ol' VTach for the I-90 day. If we are riding what I think we are, it won't be overkill.
    The VTach will be following in the tire tracks of one its kind. My VTach did many a run down the trails we will likely ride....now...that is....if we are riding what you think we are riding?

I mostly ride the Chilly out there now...and it shreds. When i pedal the 6 miles from home...i take the Endo (as i did this past weekend) and I absolutely love that bike on these trails...just as competent as the Chilly but requires just that much more finesse
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    PM sent. I think my Chili will handle the rest of the Knollfest, because I'm skipping the Whistler day. Not that a Chili can't handle Whistler, I just prefer my VTach for lift assist, as I have been known to be a tad adventurous, which can be hard on a bike. Plus, I don't need as much skill on the tach, because it just plows through like a tank.

mtbr member
    If a person brings two bikes up to Canada, how will we secure the 2nd bike during rides? I'm super cautious with my steeds, and would hate to leave one locked on a truck while I'm off in the woods (unless we post a sentry).

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    If a person brings two bikes up to Canada, how will we secure the 2nd bike during rides? I'm super cautious with my steeds, and would hate to leave one locked on a truck while I'm off in the woods (unless we post a sentry).
    Have left bikes at the bike shop in Squamish in the past
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Also, there might be a van, if I can get one. And we can lock to things not easily moved. I have chain locks that would be a PITA to cut. Also you can back the bike into into things, like a wall/tree or another car, makes it very hard to roll up and steal anything. And the NS rack is off the ground. Most big bolt cutters require pressure on the ground to get enough torque. And diamond bit/carbide wheels are very noisy, and take a while to get through the chain, I know, that is how I cut my chains.

Having said that, if I can get a van, that would be perfect for the few bikes left behind. I am bringing the Podium and the Chilly, if possible.

mtbr member

Stoked!
    EB
    Very generous. Thank you, Eric. Are you talking about Sunday night, August 3rd? After looking at the five hour drive time from Portland to North Van, I may leave Portland Sunday pm and drive as far as Bellingham, then drive up to North Van the next day with the group. You got a spot? I'll have my own inflatable mattress. Just need some floor.

You should post this on the lodging thread too.

PS: I may be able to carry an extra person (or two) and bike (or two) from B'ham to Canada.

Just roll it......
    Kent,

Yep, I mean Sunday night (the 3rd). Mi Casa, su casa.

Alternatively, why don't you drive up late on Saturday night to Dave's and make the B'ham ride on Sunday? I promise it will include some really good stuff on par with the Squamish/Shore/Whistler riding. If you're gonna potentially give up Sunday for driving anyway, you may as well ride that day.

EB

Knomer
    Dec 2013

Stoked!
    EB
    Any space for the youngin to jump in the fun? Trying to work logistics on joining you guys in the PNW. Just need to make sure someone can get me from the seattle airport (with my bikes) and get me to North Van so I can meet up with the Knolly crew for the rest of my stay.
    Knolly USA Warehouse
    City of Angels

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by lilknollypunk View Post
    Any space for the youngin to jump in the fun? Trying to work logistics on joining you guys in the PNW. Just need to make sure someone can get me from the seattle airport (with my bikes) and get me to North Van so I can meet up with the Knolly crew for the rest of my stay.
    I can definitely get you to North Van from Bellingham and you can crash at my place on Sunday. No dice on airport for me though.

EB

Yebo Numzaan
    Yes dude...just make it happen. Friday at Seatac? Riding Saturday on my local trails.

PM me to discuss
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Yes dude...just make it happen. Friday at Seatac? Riding Saturday on my local trails.

PM me to discuss
    I am picking him up from the airport. He is going to shred these trails for sure.

EB, how many spots are still available at your pad?

Silverstar race in the morning, assuming I get back at a normal hour, will try to get NS/Squamish stuff squared away. Much more epic riding forthcoming.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast