Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Knollician

Knollfest 2013 - EXTREME! Edition

Let me start by saying..holy F&#K was that fun! Knollfest 2013 has come to a close, and I feel pretty good sitting in my chair watching TV right now. 4 hard days of riding has taken it's toll on my body. My legs feel like concrete, my left shoulder and hip are throbbing from and magnificent OTB on Goat Camp, and my brain hurts. My wife and I had a blast hosting the event, but we are ready to get back to our normal lives.

This year we had a few returning vets and a few virgins. We had Rubybigdog, Calhoun, TwoLions, Muttonchops, RDH, Dusty, dirtbag, LV Ridin, Lucky Stryke, Krob, pferrell, and one very special guest this year...ebxtreme (EXTREME!). Oh yeah, and some guy named Noel was along for the ride too.

The event started Wednesday with a late night build at my place, which quickly turned into my alarm ringing at 6:00am to prep for our Thursday Sedona run. We met up with KRob, Calhoun, and TwoLions at the Huckaby parking lot, spent a few minutes with intros, and then headed up to Hangover.

I will post a more detailed review tomorrow, but here are some photos for your viewing pleasure.

"Everyone needs to believe in something.........and I believe I'm going to have another beer" - pfarrell

P1090676

SDC10486

SDC10482

SDC10491

SDC10494

Friday was shuttle day. We managed to get 5 good hard runs in. Flats were the soup of the day.

12-13 KnollFest_024

12-13 KnollFest_023

12-13 KnollFest_039

12-13 KnollFest_043

20 people in a 15 person van...REALLY?

12-13 KnollFest_046

EXTREME! standing

12-13 KnollFest_020

12-13 KnollFest_033

12-13 KnollFest_031

12-13 KnollFest_052

12-13 KnollFest_057

12-13 KnollFest_070

12-13 KnollFest_073

12-13 KnollFest_080

12-13 KnollFest_083

12-13 KnollFest_085

12-13 KnollFest_098

12-13 KnollFest_104

12-13 KnollFest_121

12-13 KnollFest_134

12-13 KnollFest_149

12-13 KnollFest_156

P1090528
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knollician
    Saturday was Goat Camp, pferrell may have said it best as he rolled into the descent... "F&#K!"

P1090739

P1090743

P1090744

P1090746

P1090747

P1090748

P1090749

Yes, this photo is relevent.

P1090750

P1090776

P1090762

P1090763

Time to party...

DSC_0607

DSC_0608

DSC_0609

To proper way to blow a handlebar (if you're into that kind of thing)...way to go Pete

DSC_0610

DSC_0613

50 degree water...brrrr

DSC_0620

DSC_0622

tedt

Sunday, only 6 stood, and yet we took another punch in the junk from Old Lady Ames.

IMG_0719

IMG_0726

IMG_0741

Knollician
    This year I also made up some Knollfest swag. I had a logo designed for the event and then has pint glasses laser engraved and t-shirts made. I wrapped up a shirt and glass for each attendee and put them under the Christmas tree.

IMG_5337

IMG_5330

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for rubbing it in. Looked like it was Knolly Heaven. I will make next years event.

mtbr member
    I missed soooo much,but next year I'll be there.Great pictures

mtbr member
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knollfest 2013 - EXTREME! Edition-lv-ridn-knolly.jpg  

si vis pacem...
    Damn. Looks amazing....wish I could have been there. December is a tough month to get away, but hopefully next year!

We need a play by play of the weekend; who brought the steeze, who stacked it sideways, most embarrassing moments of the post-ride festivities, etc. And more photos!!

Seriously does look like a great time. Props to TiSS'er for putting on a what looks like an awesome event.

mtbr member
    looks like everyone had a ball, nice work TiSS'er, gutted I couldn't meet you all, I guess there's always next year...?
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
    Damn. Looks amazing....wish I could have been there. December is a tough month to get away, but hopefully next year!

We need a play by play of the weekend; who brought the steeze, who stacked it sideways, most embarrassing moments of the post-ride festivities, etc. And more photos!!

Seriously does look like a great time. Props to TiSS'er for putting on a what looks like an awesome event.
    I'll get up a more detailed post hopefully tonight and I have many more photos to post.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by lv ridn View Post
    the warden!

mtbr member
    Nice work. Looks like a blast.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    gdamn...looks like a blast. hope everyone came out of it uninjured!

mtbr member

We need a play by play of the weekend; who brought the steeze, who stacked it sideways,
    Well I think we all "stacked it sideways" at least once over the course of the weekend. I just had the good fortune to do right in front of the camera.

mtbr member

I am sure TiSS'r will post more on that. My favorite moments:

Favorite trail: goat camp
    Most mechanicals: 5 flats in one short shuttle section (about 15 min) (I forget which trail)
    Sketchiest Move: Rabbit Hole - Old Lady Ames
    Biggest grin: Ryan aka Rubybigdog
    Most blood: at least 4-5 guys could make this claim to fame
    Highest proof alcohol: 120.4 proof
    Best drunken stupor move: EB's droolfest
    Best technical advice: pfarrels proper bike felatio technique, in theory (garage) then a trailside practicum on shuttle day after the fifth flat
    Best Attitude: TiSS'rs wife (and the parents--for putting up with us, feeding us, and doing most of the clean-up before we even realized there was cleanup to be done)
    Best day: Sedona was a little cold (but still epic) but I would say a 3-way tie for the rest
    Best things I learned: what a skewer really is, and what bush diving means to non-americans
    Most gracious host: TiSS'r of course. by the end of the trip I had scavanged about half of the parts from his endorphin to keep me running.

Many more memories, too many to list. I will be stoked from this trip for months. Thanks everyone for making it happen!
    Last edited by rdhfreethought; 12-09-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    My brain is still processing all of this weekend but it was EXTREME!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Besides a couple of new gouges to the chainstay my bike came out mostly functional, but I did find this yesterday:

"Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2009
    WOW!! Thanks again to everyone for making this so damn fun! Of course a special thanks to Eric (aka extreme) for making me look like the sober guy....Now let's get those red Warden's coming.

mtbr member
    Great pics guys. That's a pretty impressive gathering of "Knolly Dudes". Looked like a blast. Looking forward to more pics!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    Of course a special thanks to Eric (aka extreme) for making me look like the sober guy....
    Now, let's not get carried away, Pete! I heard the 1 AM In-and-Out run had it's own special level of drunkenness.

First off, it cannot be overstated that Brandon and Tanya are the host’s with the most. They rolled out the red carpet for us in their home and the level of preparation, hospitality and patience they exhibited would be nearly impossible to match. The shirts and pint glasses were just over-the-top cool. Many, many thanks to them!!

A few quick thoughts:
    • We all think we ride in tech and gnar, but holy hell, batman!! Seriously, Goat Camp and Ole Lady Ames were two of the nastiest trails I’ve ever ridden. I’m pretty sure Goat Camp claimed everyone is some way – whether it was a cactus in the arm, bent bike parts or an OTB in the chunk. Sure, some of our trails have small sections with chunk, but not an ENTIRE trail!! I also loved the climb up mesquite….it was rad to come around the corner and see the trail stretching along the mountain with riders sprinkled all over it. I’d say that was my favorite day of riding.
    • Every person I met was a genuinely good guy who didn’t take themselves too seriously. The banter and heckling were almost as fun as the riding! Pete should consider comedy as a backup profession. The AZ crew were all super about keeping us on track and not getting turned around on the rides.
    • I was super impressed with the entire crew’s skills. Everyone slayed it on some of the chunkiest terrain I’ve ever seen. Maybe that’s just a reflection on the kind of folks who buy Noel’s bikes, but this particular group were all highly skilled riders.
    • Last, but not least…..no matter how many times you jump in a 50 degree pool, it doesn’t, in fact, help you sober up! After that, it was bed time for EB!

Already looking forward to the next Knollfest!

EB

mtbr member
    What an amazing, awesome, stupendous, lot of jollity was had this past weekend. tiSS'er went waaaaay above and beyond expectations with this Knollfest (and expectations were high after last year). His planning and spreadsheeting paid off big time in what has to be the best mtb gatherings I've ever attended. Nice job Brandon. On behalf of all who attended I just want to say thank you for all your hard work.

The weather greeted me with a cold slap in the face when I got back to Ely. This is from this morning.
    SAM_0779

That's one degree colder than when I left.

Here's a few pics off my camera I'll share.

John (Dr. Thunder) cleaning a tough step up at the top of steep climb on Munds Wagon Trail.
    SAM_0720

Here's javi clearing the same step while sampling the Warden. I'm sure he'd never have made it on his lesser GT with baby wheels .
    SAM_0722

A regroup spot on the way up to Hangover. This may be the same spot where I unceremoniously tipped over for no apparent reason right in front of the group.
    SAM_0724

Getting closer to the hangover saddle. (Yes that's a Pivot in the shot.... although I think he set right next to Noel at dinner that night and talked shop with him the whole time so maybe we'll have another convert).
    That reminds me. There were 3-4 of tiSS'er's normal ride crew that hung with us all weekend and were a ton of help with sweeping, guiding and helping with mechanicals. Hat's off and special thanks to Ronnie, Perry, Javi, Victor (?), Rex, and RJ for their help.
    SAM_0725

Getting ready to drop in off the saddle. I see now I got way too many pictures of standing around and not nearly enough while riding. If you've never done Hangover it's worth a look. What fun. There were lots of hoots, hollers, and super excited post-ride buzz going on after this one.
    SAM_0726

More sitting. We're Knolly riders. We're too gnar to ride.
    SAM_0727

Loading up the shuttle for the SoMo shuttle day. There's that lesser GT fouling up my perfect knolly shot.
    SAM_0730

That's more like it!
    SAM_0729

Packed in like sardines. Sardines with very expensive biking habits.
    SAM_0731

Rory (Calhoun) descending
    SAM_0736

RJ (aka Dirtbag) a second before hitting the wheel stopper right in front of him and going OTB. Like I said. I think most of us had our share of awkward get-offs this weekend.
    SAM_0737

Rex (LV ridin) sampling the Warden. We banned his Turner this year.
    SAM_0740

Dave (aka muttonchops) going for the pass.
    SAM_0734

SAM_0738

I'll get up my Goat CAmp shots later. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-12-2013 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    I am very jealous
    Looks like a great time!

mtbr member
    Is that a size MED Warden

Knomer
    Dec 2013
    Ok i might have been the young gun on the trip this year but damn! I was so impressed with everyone! The best crew I have to ride with in a long time! Thanks for all the good times! Brandon.. you are a killer host and i cant say thank you enough for opening your doors to our rowdy gang! Everyone killed it with very minimal injury (except finding 10 needles in the back of my leg from that fall i took on the jackhammer on goat camp) Kent will testify! I cant wait till the next event! If anyone is in SoCal! Would love to ride with any of you!

Again thanks for the good times and accepting me as a youngin! Hope i made up that age gap in my riding!

Cheers gents!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    Is that a size MED Warden
    There were both Med and Large Wardens on hand. As well as two Podiums. The Podiums slept in the garage though, as the chunk was too much for the DH sleds. That says something about the bikes Noel builds: when AM and Enduro frames are the more appropriate bikes due to the extremely chunky rocky trails. Most other manufacturers would have to put their DH bikes out on trails like that--out of the DH sled's comfort zone--as their Enduro and AM offerings would just crumple under the EXTREME terrain. But the Chilcotin and Warden both slayed it.

I for one, was extremely impressed by the Warden during my limited parking lot test. It's dexterity and centered feel made me feel instantly at home, despite the larger wheels.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

MC MasterShake
    Looks like it was a great trip. Bummed I missed it. Next year perhaps...
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast